PDA

View Full Version : Low carbers and 1/2 marathoners--??

NCRedding
11-15-2004, 03:46 PM
I am training for the 1/2 marathon, and am attempting to do Atkins (although having a tough time sticking on program). I guess I am concerned about energy levels if I stick to low carb. But, I also know I don't want to wait til the 1/2 marathon to switch to carbs (bad news for my digestive system)

What are you doing, now, and what is your plan for the race??

ibouncetoo
11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Funny, this topic just came up at work today. Several of my co-workers are doing the 1/2 marathon in Phoenix the same day we're at WDW.

Here's what I've just started doing now that my workouts and long walks are getting...um...longer. I now have some 'good' carbs at breakfast (bread with twigs and berries, 1/2 English muffin, or good cereal..something like that). I do morning workouts and personally don't have any trouble with eating shortly before exercise, but some people may want to have food and exercise an hour or so later. I wanted to start doing this (mornings) since the race is in the morning. I also will just now be experiementing with some of the nutrition bars and the like on my long walks, since they are hitting the 90 min mark. The point is, you BURN these carbs with your workout. You just need to experiement a little with what KIND will energize you, but not trigger cravings. After a long workout you should ingest carbs with protein to restock muscle glycogen (carbs) and repair muscle tissue tears (protein) and high fat content in that meal will slow the absorption and recovery rate, so be aware of that. Any times other than these....eat on your plan. I have been increasing my veggies and adding a little fruit lately, guess I'm falling more South Beach than Atkins right now ;)

Can't wait to meet you in January and enjoy that WISHES cruise too!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-15-2004, 09:52 PM
I was on South Beach prior to training--and every single coach under the sun said that is not good at all...your body needs the quick energy from the carbs...I'd have to drag out my notes--we just had our nutrition clinic--and I can tell you that based on their numbers (really really high)--there isn't a way for you to mathematically get enough carbs to sustain your energy for the half-marathon.

The best thing I can tell you--is instead of Atkins--try South Beach--but follow the principles and not the serving counts of carbs (limited to 3 grain/3 fruit--it won't add up to enough grams).

I know that one of the sports teams during the summer Olympics did a modified Atkins diet--they had to control their weight for some team sport. They did have a nutritionist working with them on it--and they did not do the equivilent of a 3 hour endurance event.

During your run/walk--your going to need to eat--and they offer gel energy packs--which are pure carbs.

I find I do access cookies more easily (for that big energy kick post long long runs)--but on the whole--I haven't spiraled into nearly the bad habits I had before. I don't like candy--and we have had 2 birthday cakes this season--the first one, I ate a little piece twice (didn't like how my body reacted)--and then the second one (mine)--I ate a piece of a sliver.

Listen to your body and what it tells you to do! Avoid those items with added sugar and you should find yourself okay.

Training for half and full marathons (as we have been told repeatedly by coaches) isn't the time to diet for weight loss--your running/walking will suffer if you do.

Hope this helps--and when I find my nutrition clinic notes, I'll be more than happy to post them.

karebear1
11-16-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm not doing Atkins, but do have a low carb version of diet because I'm a diabetic. I asked my dietician about this too- she told me to try experimenting with watered down OJ or a sport drink during my long walks. She said 15 carbs every 30 minutes. I'm gonna start doing that when I do my nine mile walk this week and see how it works.

maryliz
11-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Since I'm a carboholic, I can't help you out with this. :teeth: But I just wanted to comment that during our 1/2 marathon in October, we did eat our carbs every 30 minutes and it makes a huge difference in energy levels. That and it gave us mini-goals to walk towards ... ie. " 8 more minutes and we can eat again" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you're doing it now because as people have already said, you don't want to be doing something new/different on race day.

Good luck!

Mary-Liz

NCRedding
11-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies--I was beginning to see how difficult this would be, I think I'll play around and see what kind of balance I can reach.

JRoglitz
11-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by maryliz
Since I'm a carboholic, I can't help you out with this. :teeth: But I just wanted to comment that during our 1/2 marathon in October, we did eat our carbs every 30 minutes and it makes a huge difference in energy levels. That and it gave us mini-goals to walk towards ... ie. " 8 more minutes and we can eat again" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Just wondering what carbs you ate every 30 minutes. I'm trying to decide what to take along with me.

maryliz
11-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JRoglitz
Just wondering what carbs you ate every 30 minutes. I'm trying to decide what to take along with me.

I found the Power Gels to work the best. My step "quickened" and I didn't even know it. I also tried 3 pieces of red licorice ... I cut them in half so I had 6 things to eat ... it's a mental thing ya know :rolleyes: The little Hallowe'en packages of swedish berries had the right number of carbs/calories you should have every 30 minutes (sorry don't remember what those numbers were -- someone else checked it for me), but I didn't find that they worked very well.

Mary Liz

JRoglitz
11-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Where do you get the Power Gels?

Lisa loves Pooh
11-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I use Gu...power gels tasted too much like frosting to me--but some people like that. Test around with the flavors..I discovered last weekend that Vanilla made me feel like I would be sick (but once down I was fine). I'm sampling more flavors this week. So far, the berry is best for me.

both Power gels and gu are available at Running Stores and supposedly GNC stores (or other vitamin stores)...

It's an easy way to get the Carbs without having to chew...you just suck them down. Any carbs consumed on your journey must be consumed with water (or it can cause a problem with your system--I think the liver, but don't recall what my coach said). Even the gels.

Practice with it now though--and bring them with you to the race--the first "food" stop isn't until mile 9. That is too long for you body to go without nutrition.

I start my gels at mile 2--and consume one every 4 miles and an extra one with 2 miles to go in my long run. Most gels have caffeine--very little though...that helps put a kick in your step. I do not do caffeine, but haven't been having a problem with the gels that have it. Both Power Gels and Gu have non-caffeinated flavors..for Gu it is the banana. I don't know which one it is for the Power Gels.

I pay $1.25 per packet.

Good luck!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-19-2004, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRoglitz

I'm with TNT as well!!!! Doing the full though. How's your fundraising....

(sorry for being off topic).

Your coach should be able to help you with a specific location to pick up your Power Gels.

We get them in Melbourne at the Running Zone.

geetey
11-19-2004, 10:42 PM
I agree - the GU is easy to consume as you go. Be sure and experiment with the flavors. I purchased a bunch of flavors (PowerGel and Gu) at Galyans. Bleck - not one worked for me. When I was at Fleet Feet getting new shoes (Thanks, Lisa!! You were right! I needed new ones.), they gave me 3 samples of Gu. Just Plain seems to be the best flavor for me. The Tangerine and Berry flavors were way too much for me, and I love fruity things! I felt like I was slurping Children's tylenol! :crazy2:

During training, I also enjoy Clif bars (the Black Cherry Almond is yummy!) but I am not sure they will work on the *big* day. I have to keep experimenting! ::yes::