PDA

View Full Version : Over-the-counter medications in resort stores?

GEM
11-14-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm taking my mom with me in December. Whenever we travel, she always drags along a bag stuffed with all kinds of over-the-counter medications, "just in case". She carries cough syrup, cold medicines, Tylenol, Pepto, Immodium, cough drops, etc. I've told her that she doesn't have to drag all that stuff along this time, and that if she comes down with something at WDW they will have what she needs in the resort gift shop. Still, she's reluctant not to drag her big old bag of emergency supplies with her. So, I thought I'd better check. Are otc medicines readily available in the resort shops? Do they have a pretty good variety of things? Can you believe that in all our many trips to WDW, we've never gotten sick??:eek:

stacy6552
11-14-2004, 01:24 PM
yep. they have the basics that you mentioned covered.

phillybeth
11-14-2004, 01:34 PM
They do have basics available, but the selection is limited and they are VERY expensive. I too travel with a personal first aid kit, but last time I forgot to pack cortisone and wouldn't you know it we got covered in mosquito bites one night at the hot tub. I think I paid $6 or $7 for a tube of cortisone in the gift shop.

BeamsofLight
11-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Speaking as someone who almost *always* gets sick on vacation, I can confirm all the Disney resorts I've stayed in have pretty well stocked drugstore sections. Nyquil/Dayquil tables, antacid, Sudafed, cough drops, throat spray, aspirin, and so on. However I definitely agree that their stuff is sold at a premium ... I bought a bottle of Nyquil for about $8 once.
Now I just take my 'most likely to need things' with me (Nyquil/Dayquil, Sudafed, Advil, etc). But if your mother isn't the type to normally get sick (like me, haha), and she's game to take her chances, she'll be able to find what she needs there, if should she catch something.

CRSNDSNY
11-14-2004, 02:44 PM
This is gross, but...
During our stay in May I desperately needed a laxative of some sort. Florida always messes me up. We stayed at the BCV and the gift shop had nothing of the sort. They couldn't even tell me anywhere else on property I could go for products such as these. We had to go off property to a drug store for it. From now on, I pack it with me.

Nik's Mom
11-14-2004, 03:35 PM
By all means, let her pack her own medicine. Even though the resorts do carry some over the counter supplies, it is very over priced. And they may not have the brand you want. I always pack the essentials (Pepto, cold medicine, cough syrup, tylenol). You just never know.

GEM
11-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks. I don't care if she takes a few things - but she always seems to think she has to travel with her own completely stocked drugstore! We would all three have to ill with every imaginable sickness for every single day of our trip to use all the stuff she packs! :p

Carrieberry
11-14-2004, 05:44 PM
I always take the minimal few things I know I WILL need, and buy whatever would possibly be necessary depending on if I get sick or not. The things I always pack and always need are:
Immodium
Tums
Fiber tablets (I need the lax. my hubby needs the Immodium whenever we travel!)
Tylenol, Advil or Aleve (children's as well if the kid's are coming)

and I always bring little bottles of antibacterial gel to use while we are there, hopefully heading off the colds! If we do get sick, we will splurge and buy cold medicaine at the resort. If I already have some at home, I will throw it in and just bring it but I won't buy it to take just on the off chance we get sick.

DebbieB
11-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Will you have a rental car? We've done a quick drive to either Winn-Dixie or Publix for emergency "supplies". Much more reasonably priced.

Kaybee
11-14-2004, 07:03 PM
You should let her bring her supply if she wants. My DS got a bad cough and head cold. I paid $8.00 for a small bottle of Robitussin. The lady who checked me out at the resort store couldn't believe the price either. She said if you just drive a mile down the road you could save over $5.00, but unfortanely I couldn't, so I paid the high price!!:confused: Next time I will bring my supply with me!

gigi1313
11-14-2004, 07:51 PM
i also travel w/a big bag full of "necessary medicines" but i consider it my insurance policy! the one year i did not bring meds, i was all over trying to find children's tylenol in a flavor my kids would drink and every other trip i've brought my "supplies" and have never even needed a bandaid! go figure! LOL!

shellybaxter
11-14-2004, 08:42 PM
I started carrying a gallon size ziplock full of medicine when I went to Germany one year (like they wouldn't have medicine in Germany right - LOL). Since the bag was already packed, I just kept taking it on trips. I've been very glad I did a couple of times. It's really nice when you need a decongestant not to have to go out of your way to find the gift shop. I just open the bag and get what I need. And it really doesn't take up that much room. DH and I use the medicine bag almost every trip for something. Last time he got the stomach flu and was glad I had immodium as he was getting over it.

princess: Shelly