PDA

View Full Version : Just back from a week at Poly - Any ?'s

Bride In The Attic
11-14-2004, 01:03 PM
We were at the BC for one night (11/5) then at the Poly for 11/6 - 11/12...it was absolutely wonderful...from the CM's to the atmosphere everything was top notch.

We were in room 3202 in the Aotearoa Longhouse (3rd floor) with a great view of the monorail going by. Only downside to this room was it was right across from the elevators/ice machine. It ended up not being an issue.

Anyway..if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them...we had a great time and are already planning a return trip next December!

:earsboy:

Carrie772
11-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Do you really feel special when you go? I have never been and we are going for a 12th anniv. trip. Why do you keep going back? Do you stay at a Concierge room or a standard? Will I be happy with standard garden view?

Bride In The Attic
11-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Carrie772
Do you really feel special when you go? I have never been and we are going for a 12th anniv. trip. Why do you keep going back? Do you stay at a Concierge room or a standard? Will I be happy with standard garden view?

Actually, I stayed at the Poly the first year it opened when I was only 5 and then it became our family's WDW tradition...now that I'm married with my own family we try to stay there as much as possible as our budget allows. We've also stayed at the WL which we love and POR and BC..but to us there is no place like the Poly. It is like home.

I haven't stayed there in a few years and, to be honest, I was a bit scared because of the recent reviews. But we found all CM's to be more than pleasant...always an Aloha from the front desk CM's to mousekeeping to the grounds keepers...our room was spotless and mousekeeping was wonderful. We requested turn down service and it was so nice to come back to every night after a long day at the parks.

I do feel special when I'm there but honestly I've yet to stay at a Disney resort that didn't make me feel special. We stayed in a standard garden view room. We took a walk back from the TTC one night and looked at all of the different views and there was maybe only one building I wouldn't want to stay in (Rapa Nui) because of a potential parking lot view. All other garden views looked beautiful. I think you'll be very happy with that view.

mkymouse4ever
11-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Last Nov/Dec we had the exact same room! When I saw the location I thought, oh no ice machine etc... and never heard it again. :D It was kinda nice being close just out the door get ice, and back home. ;) The balcony had a great view, close enough to monorail watch and far enough to keep the curtains open. :earseek: We really enjoyed Aoreotaoea! That is one of the Poly's totally underated buildings. Shhhh! ::yes::

Glad you had a great trip. MKY princess:

rigsby25
11-14-2004, 04:09 PM
We were there on November 11 for the Luau. The resort looked really gorgeous. We really enjoyed the Luau.

BCV23
11-14-2004, 04:34 PM
How was the construction across the hall from Captain Cook's coming along?

Bride In The Attic
11-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by BCV23
How was the construction across the hall from Captain Cook's coming along?

They were working on it - we kept hearing the nail gun when we were eating at Captain Cooks! Could never get a peak inside though...I'm looking forward to seeing it when it is finished. My one complaint about the Poly is the gift shop - they have two small ones but neither offers a good variety of Poly merchandise. After seeing the gift shop at the BC I really felt like the Poly needed a much larger one. We couldn't even find a nice Poly golf shirt for DH...So, I'm hoping this new shopping area will bring a nice big selection of merchandise...

Asil65
11-14-2004, 05:03 PM
We will be staying at the Poly for our first time this April. I wondered how easy it is to book the Luau when you stay there? I don't really want to book it so far ahead as we will be driving to Orlando from Virginia and don't know how the kids will hold out. Did you watch the fireworks from the beach? Do the rooms have a refrigerator in them? Thanks, Lisa

Bride In The Attic
11-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Asil65
We will be staying at the Poly for our first time this April. I wondered how easy it is to book the Luau when you stay there? I don't really want to book it so far ahead as we will be driving to Orlando from Virginia and don't know how the kids will hold out. Did you watch the fireworks from the beach? Do the rooms have a refrigerator in them? Thanks, Lisa

Re booking the luau - I don't think it matters whether you stay at the Poly or not, the same booking rules apply. If I remember correctly, you can book 2 years out.

We did not watch the fireworks from the beach as we were always in the parks at that time - no early nights for us! We did, however, watch the Electrical Water Pageant from the beach - great as always!

Our room did not have a fridge but I remember reading they will provide one at no charge if you request it. By the time you go in April they may already have them in all of the rooms.

You will love it! Aloha!

Ladyhawke10
11-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Great to hear the good news about the mousekeeping. I am finally trying the Poly...it is of the last deluxe resorts we haven't tried yet...and what kept me away was all the scary housekeeping reports I kept reading on these boards!!! Now I'm finally going to try it for the sake of the tiki torches, lagoon views, underwater pool music, friendly CMs, etc. etc etc!!

I am going to request a garden view w/ balcony, and have a few buildings in mind that have been recommended, but I'm sure anyone would be fine should we not get what we requested. We are very excited about our first stay next year! :)

Bride In The Attic
11-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Ladyhawke10
Great to hear the good news about the mousekeeping. I am finally trying the Poly...it is of the last deluxe resorts we haven't tried yet...and what kept me away was all the scary housekeeping reports I kept reading on these boards!!!

We actually requested turndown service for our stay and it was wonderful to come back to the room to have our beds turned down and mints on the pillows.

Our rooms were always clean and we were kept well stocked with towels and soaps, etc.

I thought mousekeeping was great!!

:wave2:

polyman
11-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Susan,

Good point about the gift shop. I've been there 4 times now, and I always walk into that shop looking to spend money, and leave disappointed. You're lucky if you can find a Polynesian T-shirt.

Asil65
11-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info Susan. We thought that we would try to save a little money and eat breakfast in the room. My Mom will be in the room next door so we can keep things in 2 refrigerators. I was wondering if turn down service was a concierge perk or can anyone get it? Did you eat at Ohana's or the Kona cafe? Do you need Priority Seating for these places? I was hoping not to deal with ps's this trip. It would be nice to have more flexibility and not be so fixed with our meals. Just curious can you wake up and go down and eat breakfast somewhere at the poly?:Pinkbounc

Tikiman
11-18-2004, 12:48 PM
That is strange because News From Polynesia has always had plenty of Polynesian Resort stuff. They had t-shirts (long and short sleeved) sweatshirts, dresses, tank tops, kids clothes, etc and lots of mugs, plates, pictures, home decorations, toys, etc with the Polynesian logo on them. I am not sure how much more stuff they could have had when we were there. Maybe they have more in the summer.

flyball
11-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Asil65
I was wondering if turn down service was a concierge perk or can anyone get it?

Hope I'm not barging in, but I thought I'd let you know that anyone can request turn down service. I'll also add that it is totally worth it! It's very comforting.

LouLouDew
11-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by flyball
Hope I'm not barging in, but I thought I'd let you know that anyone can request turn down service. I'll also add that it is totally worth it! It's very comforting.

We were at the Poly 11/10-11/17. I requested evening turn down, but was told at the front desk that was for conceirge only. :(

To answer the previous post about dining. We were able to walk into the Kona Cafe for a breakfast with no waiting. Ohana may be more difficult as they have the character breakfast.

Also, we had a great time watching the fireworks from both the benches at the Marina, and from the lounge chairs on the beach in front of the Volcano Pool. Much better than standing in the crowd at MK.

Asil65
11-19-2004, 11:39 AM
I wonder if getting turn down service depends on how busy the resort is. I think for the $400.00 plus they get a night they should be able to put a mint on your pillow. What Character breakfast do they have at the poly? I didn't realise that there was one.

DutchsMommy
11-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Just wondering how you found the EWP while there - I had read some people mention it seemed shorter - perhaps some of the floats had been damaged by the hurricanes?

Tikiman
11-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Turndown service is for any one who requests it at any time. Part of turn down is to leave chocolates on your bed.

'Ohana has a character breakfast every morning.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/poly10.html

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/files/ohana100.jpg

Aloha

Steve

LouLouDew
11-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Tikiman
[B]Turndown service is for any one who requests it at any time. Part of turn down is to leave chocolates on your bed.[B]

That is what I'd heard and why I asked for it. I wish you had been the CM checking us in instead of the pleasant yet un-informed person we had :)

She also tried to stick us in a 'smoking optional' room, contrary to my requests. Luckily the manager set things right.

wendylovesdisney
11-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know how long the construction is supposed to take by Captain Cooks?
-Wendy

Ilovestitch
11-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Tikiman
That is strange because News From Polynesia has always had plenty of Polynesian Resort stuff. They had t-shirts (long and short sleeved) sweatshirts, dresses, tank tops, kids clothes, etc and lots of mugs, plates, pictures, home decorations, toys, etc with the Polynesian logo on them. I am not sure how much more stuff they could have had when we were there. Maybe they have more in the summer.

I agree- the Polynesian has tons of merchandise, its just spread out between like 5 stores, where other resorts have just one or two. News from Polynesia is downstairs and they have all the logo stuff. In May they had a couple styles of short sleeve tees, long sleeve tees, sweatshirt, sweatshirt jacket, stuff for kids, etc. I like how they have logo stuff w/lilo and stitch on them. I really want to get the logo zip up sweatshirt/jacket in December- I hope they have them in stock! -Steph

Tikiman
11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
The construction will not just be to the area next to Captain Cook’s but to most of the lobby over on the side where the bathrooms and phones are in front so I believe it will take many months to finish what they intend to do.

As far as the updates to the rooms that will not start till next year and you will see a completely different room when they are done.

Aloha

Steve

Bride In The Attic
11-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ilovestitch
I agree- the Polynesian has tons of merchandise, its just spread out between like 5 stores, where other resorts have just one or two. News from Polynesia is downstairs and they have all the logo stuff. In May they had a couple styles of short sleeve tees, long sleeve tees, sweatshirt, sweatshirt jacket, stuff for kids, etc. I like how they have logo stuff w/lilo and stitch on them. I really want to get the logo zip up sweatshirt/jacket in December- I hope they have them in stock! -Steph

We must have been there between restockings - I looked in News from Polynesia because that's where I always remember it being and we specifically asked and they said they did not have any Poly golf shirts. All we saw were some Poly t-shirts but nothing "nicer" than that. They did have some coffee mugs and pretty watercolor prints of the Poly but not a whole lot of anything else. Definitely not the variety we've seen at BC and WL. Believe me - I was ready to spend some money as this is our favorite resort!!

Bride In The Attic
11-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by LouLouDew
That is what I'd heard and why I asked for it. I wish you had been the CM checking us in instead of the pleasant yet un-informed person we had :)

We actually called Mousekeeping when we got to our room and I requested it through them - not the front desk. We were in a GDN room - no concierge - and the man I spoke with said no problem.

Every night when we returned "home" our beds were turned down with mints and our towels and toiletries were restocked. By the end of the week we had a stack (I'm not kidding - around 15) of clean towels in the bathroom and handfulls of soaps/lotions/shampoos!

Bride In The Attic
11-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DutchsMommy
Just wondering how you found the EWP while there - I had read some people mention it seemed shorter - perhaps some of the floats had been damaged by the hurricanes?

It is definitely shorter - I believe only one bardge. The first night I thought we had just missed part of it but then I remembered people talking about the damage from the hurricane.

As of when we were there (11/6-11/12) it was very short....hopefully they'll get it fixed soon...I miss the full version!

Rozzie
11-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Also back from poly, we were there nov. 15-22.

We stayed at tahiti and that was awesome to be so close to the TTC. Epcot just a hop skip and jump away. just rebooked for nov next year. rack rate--only AAA discount. yikes!!!!!!!!!! where's that code when you need them?

we did the character bfast at ohana's and it was great. We got a 730- seating and the characters spent a lot of time at our table, even with no kids! of course, I cried when i hugged mickey and told him we wont be back till april!

Mousekeeping was great, no towel animals, but efficient.

I bought a poly tank top on sale for $10.99 at the news store. also a coffee cup and some ornaments.

we loved it, splitting our next trip with WL, trying to venture out some, but end our stay at the poly. :)