PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Pop

Terk-1
11-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Just to let you know that it is unusual for me to badmouth WDW and I always love going each year and plan to again next year.

Returned yesterday from a week long stay at Pop and to be perfectly honest, I was a bit disappointed with this resort. I did not get the same Disney feeling like I have in other resorts we've stayed at. I had called Pop the day before we left to confirm our reservations and requests and the CM found one reservation and none of our requests. Made her look more and she finally found the other room. Had to re-request everything and found her to have an "I really don't care" attitude. Check-in was long (we got there at noon). The rooms were just ok, but found the beds very hard and difficult to get a good night's sleep in and one of the drawers was broken. Also found Mousekeping to be lax in cleaning the room. We found materials in the nightstand from mid-October in there and it did not appear that the carpet under the beds had been vacuumed since then either. Also, found hair & a dead bug in the corner of the bathroom that stayed there for days. The sheets were never changed during our entire stay and I found crumbs in the just made bed from that morning. Found the food in the foodcourt to be just ok. I tried the pb & fluff sandwich one night for dinner and the bread was stale. We also tried their pizza and found it to be very bland. Prices were a bit high for everything. A 99 cent bag of chips was $1.89 and a 99 cent milk was $1.99. The only thing we found that was not overpriced was the Entimen's donuts, as these are pre-priced by the company. We found ourselves buying most of our food outside the resort. There were also very long lines each time we went from 5-9pm. Finally, found the buses to run on the slow side, especially from the Magic Kingdom. Sorry to be on the negative side for this resort, but just was not thrilled and doubt we'd return again.

Minnie&Nana
11-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the report!

It seems that people either love or hate POP and I can understand why. As with any Disney Resort one never knows what housekeeping will be like. In case you ever stay there again, I found a card in the room which said sheets were to be changed every so many days, but if you wanted daily you had to call and request it through housekeeping! I was there 4 nights, but was on vacation and would like the treat of fresh sheets every night:)

Will be returning in a few weeks and am somewhat concerned by some of the recent posts I've read about POP. Maybe it is so full it's hard for housekeeping to keep up?

One thing I'd like to add to your CM experience is that unfortunately, I found the CM I spoke with when I called to be less than helpful. I had to request a supervisor call me back - which she did, but she was barely courteous. I know it is a very busy resort, but I must call ahead due to a medical need. She did block a room, but she was not gracious. GF and Poly were not great either although Poly front desk supervisor did change after I explained the situation. GF blocked exactly the kind of room I asked not to have - they changed it to a lovely room when I called from the room. POR seemed to have the nicest CM's -they're so kind and gracious!

For yrs I never had any request other than non-smoking and maybe a floor, so having to call ahead is recent.

Staying at POP again soon even though I was a bit overwhelmed by the Food Court noise,room had no noise and bed was fine. Nice view.

Thanks again for the report!

edit - Tyler says these call actually go to a call center, so the people I spoke with at POP and POR must have been from the call center, not the resort!

n2mm
11-14-2004, 12:24 PM
That is too bad that your stay wasn't as you expected. I, on the other hand, had a great experience at POP. We had 3 rooms requested. No requests except for non-smoking. I had 3 reservations and had to go to the front desk to "re-checkin", never a problem and never a line (though it was early). We checked in on our first day at noon and had about a 5 minute wait. The CM knew we had "continuing" reservations, so pre-checked us in for the entire stay, even giving us a parking pass (3 of them for 3 families) for the entire lenth of our stay, even though we had to recheck in just to get new room keys. (We had a complicated set of reservations since we needed 1 room for 2 nights; then 3 rooms for 7 nights; then 1 room for 2 nights). The CM had absolutly no problem understanding this strange set of reservations.

Our housekeeper (Ada) was the best. She knew we left around 8:00, so for 11 mornings we were first on her list, even though we were in the middle of the row, then off to our other 2 rooms. We also received clean sheets on the designated days.

After the first night I woke to a horrible headache, knowing it had to be the room. We called the front desk and explained my allegy to dust and asked that the filter in the air conditioner be changed. It was changed promptly and I never had another problem the entire stay.

YES, the beds are SSSOOO hard. That would be my only negative thing to say. I tossed and turned the whole night because my arms and legs would go numb.

The food court was like the others, after a few days it gets old. We always have a car, so zip to other resorts to eat. Parking was never a problem this trip. We were there in May and parking was tough, but always enough spaces in October.

We like to make our PS at the guest services section of the front desk and did this often. Each time the CMs were helpful and pleasant and always a delight to deal with. And the store CMs where just as wonderful.

POP is still on the top of my list. I made my ressies for 2 weeks in May and 12 nights in October to stay at Pop and have no problem with my decision. (Just to be fair I also have ressies at WL in January and the Contemporary in September, so that I make it clear that we don't always stay at the value resorts, just depends if it's value season vs regular season).

Minnie&Nana
11-14-2004, 12:36 PM
:wave:

It is good to another positive report about the POP.

May I ask when you were there last and what section did you stay?

It is possible that when I was there, not long after opening, kinks were still be worked out..never-the-less our overall stay was enjoyable which is why I booked the POP again for 6 nights.

TIA!
:wave2:

n2mm
11-14-2004, 01:04 PM
In May we were in the 50s section, ground floor facing the pool. Never heard any noise (and it was spring time). Loved being able to walk out our door to a pool chair. That trip we had a king bed with tub.

In October (just 2 weeks ago) we were in the 50s again, 2nd floor facing the 60s building. From our room we could see the lake and to the left we could see the hippydippy pool. The stairwell outside our room (to the left) went straight to the pool, laundry (main pool) and food court. We could not have had a better location other than paying $10 more a night for preferred. We never requested any of our rooms, it was what was assigned.

We have enjoyed both locations, but always seem to get the 50s. Guess we fit in since we are from that era.

John Dobbertin
11-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Some questions re. the Pop postings: When those of you who were calling to "check" ressies were you dialing direct to Pop, or were you going to WDW reservations? WDW over-the-counter food is usually all about the same -- is Pop's really different (worse)? When you found housekeeping problems did you call housekeeping for explanations/fix-ups? What were the bus problems from MK to Pop? Thanks for any info.

magicalmoments
11-14-2004, 01:34 PM
We are scheduled there for Christmas 12/23 - 1/2 and never stayed at the POP before. We have always stayed at ASMusic and I have been wondering if I should change from POP to ASMu? Can someone assure me :)

I picked the POP since we have been to WDW many times and only stayed at the AS. I thought it woudl be different for my girls who are 15 and 10.5 years old.

A dirty room I can not tolerate. I think I would have called immediately.

Thanks for all your input.....I appreciate it.

Stacy in PA

jessiangel
11-14-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your stay being less than you had hoped. As for the CMs, whenever I have called to make ressies or confirm, they have always been top notch. That is one of the reasons I sit on the phone listening to Disney music for sometimes 30 minutes instead of booking online. Like a previous post said, maybe the hotel was very busy. Tho when we stayed at POFQ in June, the hotel was at full capacity and our room was always top notch when we came back at night. We have suggested Pop to some family members for our wedding at Disney in June, so I hope everything gets ironed out before then. thanks for the revew.

Pkdcoastrs
11-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Just like any resort, there is going to be GREAT and BAD experiences. Everyone should try each WDW resort once for themselves to form an opinion. My family had the best trip of our eight total to WDW when staying at Pop Century! We LIKED Pop Century A LOT more then the Grand Floridian!!!! So as you can see, it just depends. Don't change your ressie based on people either liking/not liking a resort, experience it firsthand. In the end, no hotel at WDW will be "so bad" compared to 99% of the hotels in the rest of the world.

Minnie&Nana
11-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by magicalmoments
I have been wondering if I should change from POP to ASMu? Can someone assure me :)Stacy in PA

Hi, Stacy -

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT change your POP reservation :)

The POP Faq thread is full of people who love POP hand have had wonderful experiences - far, far more than negative experiences.

One of the main comments about POP has been about how clean poeple have found the rooms, so I think less than clean rooms would be less likely. As you kno,w this can happen at any resort - I have had a bathroom at GF that could have used a better cleaning!

I've already decided that if I should have a similar experience to a few who have not had clean enough rooms I will call housekeeping immediately to be sure the issue is resolved - of course, I'll be very nice, but I will request the bathroom be cleanred more thouroughly, room vacuumed etc.

I really do not think you have to worry. The one thing I would not want at any Disney resort is a first floor room (lots of folks love these rooms) because if there is any chance of a bug porblem it will be on the first floor more than an upper floor.

Do try the POP - I think your girls will enjoy it there! Have you requested a section?
:wave:

ForMeThisIsHeaven
11-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Just thought I'd add...

I was looking on expedia and found that there is a Great Escape rate from Jan 2 - mid Feb (18?). Rooms at POP can be booked for 55 dollars per night. There were some other disney resorts that had great escape rates, so if you were thinking of planning a trip to disney during that time, you may want to check out expedia.

Chip 'n Dale Express
11-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Just want to throw in a comment...

Any time you call the "Front Desk" whether it be from your room, calling from home, going through the operator, you're actually getting connected to a resort region call center, and not the resort itself. They will answer the phone as front desk, and if you ask, they might even say they are at the front desk, but it's just part of the "magic."

n2mm
11-14-2004, 03:58 PM
BaciBecky, you are absoluting correct. I had forgotten about the first floor incidents in my life. One trip at the A/S Music, hubby chased a lizard around to catch it and let it out (first floor). Then last year staying at POR (dixie landing) I threw my backpack on the bed and a huge toad hopped across my bed and landed on the headboard. Scared the paa gee bees out of me. Hubby again caught it and let it go (first floor). I guess it goes with the territory. But I honesty have to say, I may have had a few 4-legged friends, but haven't seen a bug yet.....oh no, just jinxed myself for my next trip!!

I totally agree with hit or miss at any resort, at any level. I've had good and bad at resorts from WL to the All stars. I take it with a grain of salt and still book again. If having bad experiences kept me from booking a resort at WDW, I probably would have run out of resorts by now. We go to WDW 4-6 times a year for vacations lasting from 1 to 2 weeks, so we have stayed at our share of resorts. You should see my closest of MUGS--but we won't open that can of worms!:tongue:

Minnie&Nana
11-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express
They will answer the phone as front desk, and if you ask, they might even say they are at the front desk, but it's just part of the "magic."

Hey, Tyler :) what happens when someone calls the main resort number before they arrive and speak with someone who says theya re a Front desk CM - to help with a room request, do you not get the front desk at the resort?

And if calling housekeeping do you get housekeeping for the resort you are staying at? And what if you need to speak with someone at the front desk?

I called the front desk (or so I thought!) at GF and asked for the CM by name and got her each time, her supervisor as well - I called to compliment the CM.

Just want to know!! Thanks much!

Chip 'n Dale Express
11-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BaciBecky
Hey, Tyler :) what happens when someone calls the main resort number before they arrive and speak with someone who says theya re a Front desk CM - to help with a room request, do you not get the front desk at the resort?

You'll get the resort call center.

And if calling housekeeping do you get housekeeping for the resort you are staying at?

You'll get a regional housekeeping base, for Pop, it's Pop/Caribbean.

And what if you need to speak with someone at the front desk? I called the front desk (or so I thought!) at GF and asked for the CM by name and got her each time, her supervisor as well - I called to compliment the CM.

Don't forget about that magical transfer button. If need be, they can contact the real front desk, and if need be, they can transfer you there.

But 99.5% of the time, you're speaking to a call center.

Minnie&Nana
11-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Very interesting!

Thanks!

magicalmoments
11-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks Tyler...that was intersting to learn. I guess on one hand I can see total caos if they did it the way we all thought....lol Your way seems to make much sense, but its hard to believe it---lol

I'll be lookin for ya at the POP Tyler in December......or are you off for the Christmas holiday? Does your bus have TYLER on it--it has chip/dale in the window right?

I was just telling my dh about ya....and how we can find ya and say 'hello'. Thanks for all your help on this board.

Stacy