PDA

View Full Version : Poly or Contemporary?

Ladyhawke10
11-13-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm definitely leaning toward the Poly, but we've never tried the Contemporary and the tower rooms sound interesting (incredible views??)

I looked at the pictures of the rooms at the Contemporary but I was afraid the bright designs might be anxiety provoking :) (just kidding). Still, the space theme has its charm and the lobby looks like a lot of fun. Anyone think the Contemporary would be a better choice than the Poly?

I have heard complaints about the Poly looking dated and have housekeeping issues and that the MK views from the Contemporary tower rooms are once in a lifetime. What would you choose?

ccgegg
11-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Haven't stayed at the Poly before, but I'll tell you the views of MK from the Contemporary tower are incredible. Loved watching the fireworks from our balcony one night. And seeing the castle lit up at night was amazing. Plus, it was pretty cool having the monorail run right thru the hotel. If you have kids, also recommend a character meal at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary.

Ladyhawke10
11-13-2004, 09:44 PM
What did you think of the room decor? Was it comfortable once you were in the room? I was worried it looked so bright, it might not be relaxing--what did you think?

tiggersmom2
11-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Poly - hands down. The CR is my second favorite but if you stay Poly, you will be spoiled. The Tahiti, Rapa Nui and Tokelau have the largest rooms, and with the tropical feel....it is heaven!:sunny: :wave2:

ccgegg
11-13-2004, 09:57 PM
Room decor was bright, but it didn't bother us. When you can look out and see MK, Cinderella's castle, the Grand Floridian, etc, who has time to look at the hotel room decor?

Bojangles
11-13-2004, 10:21 PM
well, if you stay at CR, when you look down you see the parking lot. MK is way off to the right.

Lives4Disney
11-13-2004, 10:29 PM
I vote for the Contemporary. It is so bustling and exciting. The views are spectacular. The shops are better than the Poly's, the restaurants are fun, the Cms and nice and helpful.....

We stayed Poly CL LGView in August and in my opinion, the MK view is overrated. We were on the first floor (I requested 3rd, but they told me they only put smokers up there) There were bushes and palm trees blocking the MK. The castle was very tiny from our room. We couldn't see it unless we were standing right next to the sliders. It was fine, but not like the CR tower view. That is something!!! The whole time we stayed at the Poly we wished we were at our CR. It is also so convenient to walk to/from the MK. No long waits for transportation. The quick trip to the Ticket and Transportation Center is great, too.

The decor is kink of funky, but not disturbing. It's fun - kind of Jetsons. I don't think it will bother you at all.

When you stay at the CR, you just really feel like you are in the center of the magic. It is wonderful.:earsgirl:

Ladyhawke10
11-13-2004, 10:35 PM
I wonder if they ever allow tours of the rooms when you visit WDW? We have a trip to the Beach club in a couple days (I am planning for a 2005 trip right now and that's why I'm pondering CR or Poly...). I wonder if they'd let me tour a room at the CR?

disneyfan67
11-14-2004, 01:01 AM
I have stayed at both and I have to go with the Poly. It's my home away from home, if that makes any sense. I would only stay at the CR again if I could get a tower room. No more North garden wing rooms for me, thank you. I have been in side a tower room and it's neat but the Poly is so much warmer and alive with color than outside of the CR in my opinion. The rooms at the CR are a little too wild for my taste, but some love it and it's what you like, that's important! The zero entry Volcano pool is great and the tropical music they pipe in under water is so cool and the Volcano water slide is awesome! I love taking the boat back to the Poly right after the Fireworks end and Ohana's and Kona cafe is great. The best thing about either resort is the monorail service to the other if you get tired of the food choices at the resort you are staying at. Same with the shopping also! For kids go with the Poly but request a building next to the GCH (Raratonga) to get the most out of your stay. Plus watching the fireworks from the beach is great also. Either one is winner and a Disney classic in it's own right and you can't go wrong with that.

Mickey_loves_Minnie
11-14-2004, 07:55 AM
I've stayed at both resorts and I prefer the decor of the Contemporary's tower view rooms (except I'm not a fan of the bedspreads). I don't think it's too bright at all. The Polynesian is a little bit dark, IMO, but I don't think it looks dated. Colors of the concierge rooms in the Contemporary are more subdued than the standard room, BTW.

Being able to walk to MK and easy access to the monorail are also pluses for the Contemporary. The views of MK are definitely better, and I actually prefer the restaurants, especially California Grill.

KevinFSU
11-14-2004, 08:55 AM
We just stayed at the Poly. I haven't stayed at the CR since I was little, but I've been there recently on several occassions to eat. I'd go with the Poly. I like the ability to really walk around outside, and the Poly is a great place to walk around. You have a good view of the Seven Seas Lagoon and can see the castle off in the distance. We were only at the Poly for a weekend and I didn't get to see the fireworks from the beach area (Friday night was eating in Kona and Saturday night was watching Florida State), so I can't say how the fireworks compare between the two. You have the monorail at both. I just think the Poly has a much better atmosphere.