PDA

View Full Version : NEW-EST...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

dreamflight99
11-13-2004, 05:36 PM
This is the NEW (ONCE AGAIN!) & FRESH SWAN/DOLPHIN INFO...TIPS...HINTS....NEWS...posting thread! It's sparkling clean, awaiting all the DOLPHIN/SWAN fanclub (& Sorority Sisters too) DISers "QUESTIONS & ANSWERS"...as well as a place to post UPDATES on your recent trips with PHOTOS to these two fabulous resorts! Any starters? Grab some java and begin to post!! WELCOME!

MAGICinMYHEART
11-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Dreamflight99

Of the two resort which do you prefer, I don't know much about either. Have seen them but I'm just not sure which would have the best views, ect.

Thanks
Beckie

dreamflight99
11-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Of the two...definitely the Dolphin! I LOVE the views it offers, especially the EPCOT area, with the BC/YC and BWI visible. The illuminations show every eve is spectacular from the Dolphin. If you stand on a balcony, you can actually HEAR all the music, etc. ::yes::

I also love the lobby, parking, restaurants, and even the ducks. The rental car counter is in the Dolphin *(I use this frequently). I also prefer Tubbi's (The BEST home-made chicken noodle you have ever tasted), and the cute Dolphin Fountain.

Both, are truly magical. But the Dolphin...is my #1. Hope this helps you. ;) It's always great to see you. Hope everything is running smoothly over in the WL. :hug:

Take care....

TTFN...DF99 :wave2:

MAGICinMYHEART
11-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, yep the Lodge is great and will always be 1# but I do love trying all the resorts. It's nice to get the best information from people that really know the resort your planning on staying at.
While staying at BWV we would see that the views of EPCOT would be wonderful from one of the resorts it probably was the Dolphin it was on the same side as YC/BC.

(actually we where on a bicycles built for four trying to get up the incline of the bridge, when the IllumiNations started and everyone came out on the balconies to watch the fireworks and the crazy ladies pedal as hard as they could with no chance of making it up that hill)

Does the Dolphin have fewer rooms then the Swan?

Beckie

Mouseteacher
11-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi, Beckie

The Swan has fewer rooms than the Dolphin. We had a perfect view of Epcot from our balcony room at the Dolphin this past July. I really enjoyed watching Illuminations from my private balcony.

Don't ya just love heartbreak hill? Amazingly, we do get up the hill without getting off but that's thanks to my DH, DS21 and DS 19. I take my feet off the pedals (I'm sitting in the back)! ;) :p

lovingthemouse
11-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Wow- we have begun again... Thanks Lisa, only seems proper that you lead off!!!

Getting closer to our Dolphin stay - anything new to look forward to from those of you who have recently stayed there? BTW, what have they placed in the location where the jewelry shop was. Seems it was under renovation when we were there last April?

Hey Mouseteacher, what's with all the snow? I was not ready for this. Caroline :teacher:

ozziewags
11-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Aha! I found you again!
Swan or Dolphin. I have stayed at both and though I liked being able to get around quicker in the Swan, I think I really liked the Dolphin better. There were more conveniences available without leaving the resort. (even if it was a longer walk) I also loved the King corner turret balcony room we had on the 9th floor. What a view. Windows all around and two balconies. Also had a pull out sofa.

TLinden16
11-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Please keep this thread on topic so that folks looking for info on the Swan and Dolphin can find the answers to their questions easily.

Personal messages should be kept to PM's, e-mail, or the new Swan/Dolphin thread on the Community Board.

Click here to go to the community board thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680723)

Thank you for your assistance in keeping this message on topic.

Karen

kbkids
11-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Tell me again the directions for self-parking at the Dolphin. We got turned around trying to find it last time, and we're on a time crunch on this trip, so don't want to waste time trying to find it.

Lorix2
11-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Is the resort fee mandatory at the Dolphin?

kbkids
11-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Lorix2
Is the resort fee mandatory at the Dolphin?

From what I've heard - yes. Coffee in the room and the hot tub down in the health club are worth it for me though.

drumflower
11-14-2004, 10:45 AM
What I LOVE is the free 2 hour childcare if you dine at Bluezoo! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, spend 24-7 with them, but getting 2 hours away is wonderful!! Heehee

Lorix2
11-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks kbkids - that's a bummer considering we aren't coffee drinkers and wouldn't use the health facilities.

Another question though...I booked the Dolphin for April 20-23 and I wondering now if that is a heavy convention month:confused:

lorik
11-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know if now that Disney is including refrigerators in all deluxe rooms, is Swan/Dolphin doing the same?

Loubon
11-14-2004, 12:47 PM
:wave2: ;)

kbkids
11-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by kbkids
Tell me again the directions for self-parking at the Dolphin. We got turned around trying to find it last time, and we're on a time crunch on this trip, so don't want to waste time trying to find it.

Anyone know?

kbkids
11-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks DreamFlight99

Mouseteacher
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
kbkids~I didn't know the answer to your question as I have never rented a car while staying at the S/D. I am glad you received an answer from the best source I know of! :D ;)

bianca
11-15-2004, 09:59 PM
thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions re: the Swan. I still don't have an idea of room numbers that offer EPCOT views at the Swan but do know which side to ask for and that I need a higher floor above the tree line.

I see that the Dolphin has out of the way self parking - is the same true with the Swan? How late does the lounge stay open to get a drink after coming back from the parks? Thanks!

Coralsea
<FONT FACE="Symbol"SIZE=+3>SSS</FONT>

Mouseteacher
11-16-2004, 05:08 AM
bianca~the Lobby Lounge is open into the evening but I don't know what time it closes. You can also get a continental breakfast there in the morning starting at 7:00 am. You can bring it back to your room or sit at the bistro style tables spread around this small lobby area. Also, Kimonos is open in the evening - it is a bar of sorts with Kariakoe and a sushi bar, too. A fun place to hang out.

ozziewags
11-16-2004, 08:00 AM
I will do my best to try to answer questions that I can:

Dolphin self parking - dh drove and dropped me off, but he parked right behind the entrance, where part of the lot said "valet". I think there is more parking if you keep driving past this lot. (you come in and go past the Swan, not sure of the road name, but is marked with resorts signs) and you go right past the parking lot.

Swan parking is directly in front of the resort. Easy walk. Valet to the left and self p. to the right (facing the lot).

I can't remember Swan room numbers, but if you want an Epcot view you have to ask for an east side balcony room on a higher floor. We stayed on club level both times we were there and had views of MGM and fantasmic and could also see fireworks from Illuminations, even though our room faced the front entrance to the Swan.

There are refrigerators in all the rooms at the S/D which have snacks, sodas, etc. in them.

Resort fee is mandatory at all Starwood hotels. It is not unusual. The S/D have been known in the past to not charge it if asked, but not sure if they still do that. I think platinum members are not charged, but I am still not up to date on that.

Hope this helps. :sunny:

Figment's friends
11-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Does that mean that you cannot put yourown things in the fridge? I'm picturing a bar fridge filled with $3.00 pop cans that they charge on your bill if you drink them.

Mouseteacher
11-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Figment~I have read where people do put their own items in the refrig and don't touch the items already there - just work around them. It seems to me these posters didn't encounter any problems with charges from the refrig. A caution - I have read that these refrigs might not ne cold enough for meds/insulin - don't know if that is the case or not but thought it would be worth posting.

jgates
11-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi guys - leave you alone for a week and you get us booted to another board!!!:p :p :p

The mini-bar/fridge is fully stocked. You can pay (as of last quote I had) $25 to have them remove all the items from it for your stay. You also have the option of removing the items yourself & placing them aside, however, you are supposed to leave a note in or on the fridge so they don't restock it and bill your room. Since mine was for medical (insulin), they cleared the mini-bar out for no fee. Most insulins are not super sensitive to room temps but I do have one type that the pharmacist insists I should be keeping cold. The temp in the mini-bar was ideal for it. There is not much room to store anything additional in there unless you remove their items.

Resort fee has not been being waived for quite some time now. 2 years ago on club level it was waived automatically for me, but this trip it was on there.

dreamflight99
11-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by lovingthemouse
Wow- we have begun again... Thanks Lisa, only seems proper that you lead off!!!

Getting closer to our Dolphin stay - anything new to look forward to from those of you who have recently stayed there? BTW, what have they placed in the location where the jewelry shop was. Seems it was under renovation when we were there last April?

Hey Mouseteacher, what's with all the snow? I was not ready for this. Caroline :teacher: :hug: Love you so, Caroline...:love:

There will be a nice, new "bookstore" and coffee shop in place of the jewelry store. ::yes:: I'll be in heaven....:teeth: and can hardly wait!
Been hectic/busy here, PLAY is very serious WORK. ;)

*London/Paris looming...Dolphin confirmed for next summer!!
Interested in a postcard from Europe? PM me a mailing address...and I'll do my best!!

Miss and Love you all...XO

kimmar067
11-17-2004, 11:37 AM
...nice of you to start the new thread!:teeth:

(see, I'm in 'double-digits' now!:bounce: :Pinkbounc )

Mouseteacher
11-17-2004, 12:26 PM
A pstcard would be lovely if your willing to send one - I am an Anglophile to the core! I'll PM you.

A bookstore/coffee shop sounds perfect. I hope to try it out this summer if our trip is a go!

kimmar067
11-17-2004, 02:26 PM
One my other post I said to check out my countdown thingie. Sorry:blush: , it's on my other username.....silly me:rolleyes: !

dreamflight99
11-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by kimmar067
One my other post I said to check out my countdown thingie. Sorry:blush: :wave2: Howdy Kimmar! :hug: It's okay...seems like a LOT of "thingies" are missing 'round here! :rolleyes:
I have lost my DF clippie. :( Hope to get it back soon.

The bookstore in the Dolphin should be wonderful. The LOBBY is also slated for "renovation" (but the FOUNTAIN will remain the focal point~!).

*Remember the Copacabana? The little club with the whimsical tropical theme? It is to become the NEW Dolphin SPA!! The old facility in the gym will be moved there, and expanded. An entire new line of treatments will be available. ::yes:: Sounds great to me!

paras4ri
11-17-2004, 09:50 PM
I agree with others who have posted about self-parking at the Dolphin, it's not easy to find and sometimes it changes!
(Kind of like the stairs at Hogwarts if you're a Harry Potter fan)

I believe they change the configuration of valet and self-park depending on demand. We were there in early July and over the course of our 8-day stay self-park and valet frequently changed. They seem to have moveable pylons in the area.

Just follow the signs to the right of the main entrance and you'll find it.

A spa sounds wonderful DF - wish I had a trip planned so I could check it out!

sarahsmom73
11-18-2004, 05:15 AM
Did someone say NEW SPA!!!! Oh , I'll have to try that next December!:flower1:

Mom2aPrincess
11-19-2004, 08:37 AM
We are returning to the Swan in mid December for a short stay. I was wondering if anyone has seen the Twilight Christmas show at the Dolphin. We are planning on attending MVMCP one night and another we absolutely want to see Osbourne Lights at MGM. Can we watch the Twilight Magic and still get to the MK by 7:00 for the party?

FINFAN
11-19-2004, 09:15 AM
We had to check out of the Dolphin on 12/24 last year :( and did not see the light display but if it is the same as what was explained to us , there are many colored/spotlights above the huge tree in the lobby and a disco ball and at a certain time(6 p.m.?) they do a light show for maybe 5-10 minutes? I think you will make it to MK, BUT, did you know you can get into MK at 4 p.m. already w/your MVMCP tix? I know the Twilight show will be fun to see, but amybe not over an extra 3 hours at MK. That could save you using a park day on your tickets....I would do the Twilight show and then head to OL at MGM...you would def. make it over there as it is only about a 15 minute walk or short boat ride. Have a great time!

Pam

jwfla422
11-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Mom2aPrincess
Hi we'll be at the Swan in Dec. too! I was also planning to catch one of the "Twilight Tree Lightings" at the Dolphin as well. There is a schedule for these lightings, they don't do them every night. Have you checked it out? I know the home page of these boards has a link to the S/D's holdiay happenings. If you haven't seen it just click here: <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/SwanDolphin/xmas.htm">S/D holiday fun</a>

I know the show is supposed to be at 6 pm. You could catch a bus to MK from the Dolphin afterwards and should get to MK by 7:00 or so or like FINFAN mentioned you might want to go to MK earlier and catch the tree lighting on a different night? Maybe on the night you plan to see the OL. I personally don't like being at the OL at the opening at 6:00 anyway, it's just too darn crowded then for me. I like to wait until some of the initial crowd clears out.

dreamflight99
11-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Great ideas!! :)

I found the cutest little icon on another web page...isn't this too funny?!? We should have this in our smilies!!

http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif

TTFN...& TGIF!! DF99

ONE WEEK to LONDON/PARIS! :tongue:

FINFAN
11-19-2004, 11:22 AM
DF99...THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to have one!!!!!!!!
Yes...TGIF, THANKS FOR THE GREAT IDEAS SUPPORT...IT FEELS TO GOOD TO HELP!
PAM

dreamflight99
11-19-2004, 03:26 PM
http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif

:Rotfl: Rotfl: :Rotfl: I'm going to KEEP this, and use it whenever appropriate!! :teeth: :smooth: FINFAN...you are so cute!

*I want to experience the DOLPHIN light display! Does anyone have any pics of the Christmas tree, this special lighting ceremony...or the incredible TRAIN?!? I'd love to see some.

sarahsmom73~I'm sure the SPA will be UP & RUNNING by then! I'm hoping it is fully functional this summer!! I'll let you know how the treatments are...and which one (I plan to try them all) IMHO is the BEST!! I LOVE SPA TREATMENTS!!!

:grouphug: *I reserved FIRST CLASS seats on the Eurostar today...from London to Paris! Whoo....hoo!!

Mom2aPrincess
11-19-2004, 06:04 PM
FINFAN and jwfla422
Thanks for your advice regarding the twilight magic. Our dilemma may be resolved. We had planned on attending MVMCP on the 17th but had not yet purchased our tickets. That date is now sold out. If we still take our trip it should be no problem to catch the Christmas activities at the Dolphin on the 17th. The question is now whether or not to go to WDW that weekend if we can't do the party. We have gone to MNSSHP for 3 straight years and it is always a highlight of the trip. I've really goofed this time!

disneyeveryyear
11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know what time of high speed internet is at the Dolphin? Is it WI-FI? Or log on?

Mouseteacher
11-20-2004, 04:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dreamflight99
[B]http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif

:Rotfl: Rotfl: :Rotfl: I'm going to KEEP this, and use it whenever appropriate!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :laughing:

dreamflight99
11-20-2004, 02:07 PM
mouseteacher~

http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif

I knew you would LOVE this!! :rotfl::teeth: :p

disneyeveryyearWI-FI. ::yes::

Mom2aPrincess~Sorry to read about the sold-out status of the MVMCP. Keep checking, as you may find availability. I would also urge you to CALL the Concierge at the Dolphin, and see if they can not "WORK SOME MAGIC" and get you some tickets!!! :goodvibes:

Enjoying the weekend...last one before EUROPE! Doing some last~minute shopping. Have FUN!!
(http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif )

#1hockeymom
11-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Lisa>> I have an off topic letter I need to get off to you before you leave for Europe! (has nothing to do with the S/D but I know you'll read this!)

Debbie

Mouseteacher
11-20-2004, 02:30 PM
DF~ glad to see your DF clippie back up!

My seventh grade teacher will be arriving at the Swan tomorrow with her family. She was soooo excited. It is their first stay at the Swan... on the teacher rate, of course! :teeth: I taught her all I know including town car transportation - she was considering Mears. Another staff member is leaving Tuesday and staying at the GF. I am suffering from WDW/Swan envy! ::yes::

madge
11-20-2004, 03:01 PM
:wave2:

popping in to wish everyone a happy & healthy holiday season

Looking forward to next year's trip to the S/D...I can't wait for the school calendar to be released so I can book the room!

Lisa--have a great time in Europe!

Mouseteacher
11-20-2004, 03:13 PM
:wave2: Hi, madge - good to "see" you!

sarahsmom73
11-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Here is one for you!

If I make a ressie through DU for next Christmas, and they come down like they have this year will DU get me the better rate the way they do with other WDW resorts?

disneyeveryyear
11-20-2004, 11:31 PM
DF -

Thanks for the info. Will make using the new laptop much easier!

dreamflight99
11-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sarahsmom73
Here is one for you!

If I make a ressie through DU for next Christmas, and they come down like they have this year will DU get me the better rate the way they do with other WDW resorts? Absolutely! ::yes:: They are so good about this. Be sure to alert them as soon as you see a discounted rate. :goodvibes:

dreamflight99
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by #1hockeymom
Lisa>> I have an off topic letter I need to get off to you before you leave for Europe! (has nothing to do with the S/D but I know you'll read this!)

Debbie Please pm me with the http://www.luchtzak.be/modules/Forums/images/smiles/icon_offtopic.gif letter...I'd love to read it! Give Nat my love. :hug:

Madge...~So good to see you over here! ;) Hope all the SWAN/DOLPHIN dates are available during the school holidays you select! Thank you, for the kind wishes (Europe). I'm SO excited!

disneyeveryyear~You're welcome! Glad to be of assistance. If you have any other questions...please feel free to ask. :wave2:

Mouseteacher~I'm sure the teacher will have a wonderful time at the SWAN...especially with all the info she received from you! :wizard: :chat: She's blessed to have someone with so much experience assisting her with such plans. "Advice from Mouseteacher regarding SWAN/DOLPHIN visit? PRICELESS!"

Happy Sunday! :wave:

TTFN...DF99

sarahsmom73
11-22-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks everyone! I know what I'll be doing this week!:teeth: I guess I might just sit on 2 ressies for a while!

HughJackman'n'me
11-22-2004, 08:08 PM
I am sooo excited!!! I just changed my ressies so that I will be staying at AKL FIRST, instead of FT W cabins. Now I will be able to book the Sunrise Safari, since I also booked concierge (although THAT is only 1 day out of the 4-day stay:rolleyes: ) My DFam doesn't know...I can't wait to see the look on their faces...:Pinkbounc

...okay, 'troops', carry on.....:teeth:

kimmar067
11-23-2004, 08:04 AM
...why are we on page 4??!?!?!?

And, if I don't get another chance:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!

http://www.designedtoat.com/clipart/thanks4.gif

AimeeM
11-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi! Im making my 9th trip to Disney in 2 days and its my first stay at the Dolphin. We are so excited. I wanted to know how to go about trying to get a room upgrade. Im not even sure I will be able to since Im checking in on Thanksgiving morning. Can I get one with my annual pass rate? Or is it better to try the other thing.. starwood?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also where is the best place for just a plain on standard view room? Thanks!

Mouseteacher
11-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by kimmar067
...why are we on page 4??!?!?!?

And, if I don't get another chance:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!

http://www.designedtoat.com/clipart/thanks4.gif
join us over the CB - sorority sisters are here! thread and...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!!! :wave2:

HughJackman'n'me
11-23-2004, 11:23 AM
...I may take you up on that!:teeth:

paras4ri
11-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Hi Aimee!
I'm so excited for you, the Dolphin is wonderful!!!! :teeth:
I don't have an AP but was given an upgrade with my SPG membership this past July. It was already in their computer when we checked in. If you're an SPG member you may want to view your ressie on spg.com to see if you've already been slated for an upgrade.
As far as rooms go, we were in the west wing and had a view of the Swan, the pool area and part of MGM. The rooms in the east wing sometimes offer Epcot views.
Hope you have a wonderful trip! :wave2:

Mouseteacher
11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by HughJackman'n'me
...I may take you up on that!:teeth:

We have to stay on topic here!! :earseek: :teeth: but not over there! :p

RobMax
11-23-2004, 01:31 PM
http://www.scobode.com/phpbb/images/smiles/SpiningDemon.gif

Dan Murphy
11-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by dreamflight99
.....WI-FI. ::yes::.... Last time (this past June) I was at Swan it was highspeed, with a cable. Is Dolphin wi-fi, Swan cabled, or are both now wi-fi?

dreamflight99
11-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Dan Murphy
Last time (this past June) I was at Swan it was highspeed, with a cable. Is Dolphin wi-fi, Swan cabled, or are both now wi-fi?
WiFi Access in Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resorts
WiFi Hotspots Description:
*Wireless coverage available in the shared pool area by the Cabana Bar. (Partner with Boingo & iPass
wireless) Although I experienced little trouble using my Wi-Fi on my Vaio in the suite~!
I also recommend the high speed broadband access, which works fine as an alternative. Of course...there's always the Dial-up using the isp.
:rolleyes:

Loubon
11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
For those who travel alot and have a wireless laptop pick up Apple's Air Port (@$115). Works with Apple and Windows. After some very easy steps to configure you plug it into a wall outlet and then plug the broadband connection into it. You are then wireless! It is about the size of a deck of cards. I used it this sommer at the BCV. It was great especially since the broadband connection was in an odd place so being wired would have been a drag. It can supposedly handle up to 11 devices although it was just me and my Thinkpad.

OMG I was actually on topic! :hyper: :teeth:

dreamflight99
11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Wishing everyone a wonderful THANKSGIVING...especially those of you celebrating at the WDW SWAN and DOLPHIN!! ::yes::

dreamflight99
11-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks Lou!! This will work perfectly for DD, since she is an APPLE person *(ALL THE WAY). I LOVE/PREFER Sony products, but she has everything APPLE. She is purchasing a new APPLE Laptop & accessories for College, and would LOVE to bring it with her to the SWAN/DOLPHIN and use this GIZMO! You are filled with incredible talent and information. Kudos to you, for being so generous with both! :hug:
*And for STAYING on TOPIC!! "teeth:

Loubon
11-24-2004, 10:33 AM
If your Sony is wireless it will work with that as well. Even though it is made by Apple they seem to "get it" as they made this to work with everything not just Apple.

dreamflight99
11-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Loubon
If your Sony is wireless it will work with that as well. Even though it is made by Apple they seem to "get it" as they made this to work with everything not just Apple. Thanks LOU! I would love to have this option at the Dolphin, and will buy it online in the Apple store ASAP! DD and I could "share" hers until she takes it to college. Thank you, again...for all your wisdom & invaluable insight. ::yes::

Happy THANKSGIVING everyone! Off to buy some more marshmallows, yams and asparagus! :teeth: Oh, and those pillsbury croissants!! :rolleyes: ;)

dreamflight99
11-26-2004, 01:02 PM
:bounce:

ddawg
11-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Is there another thread? Where is everybody?

Loubon
11-26-2004, 02:42 PM
The "Chat It Up" thread has been moved to the Community Board Here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680723)

dreamflight99
11-27-2004, 11:35 AM
The "Chat It Up" thread has been moved to the Community Board Here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680723)
Are you calling us GABBY?!? (Are you talking to ME?~?)...LOL?~!

:cloud9: I'm off to London/Paris in less than 12 hours! I have not packed yet!!! :earseek: I'll be thinking of all of you as I lift off....:teleport:

Hope everyone at the Dolphin/Swan or visiting WDW has a wonderful time!

XOXOXO DF99 :goodvibes :wave2:

#1hockeymom
11-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Us? Chatty? NEVER! We're not chatty, we just have a lot to share! :)

RobMax
11-28-2004, 09:56 AM

Loubon
11-28-2004, 10:02 AM
After reading this - I am confused (no surprise!).

Will my wireless card work in the Dolphin in a few weeks when I get there?
Looks like DF said the Wi-Fi is only in the common areas and the rooms are cabled. That was the way I understood it so I posted and alternative method. Sorry if if I misunderstood that or it is wrong.

RobMax
11-28-2004, 10:16 AM
Looks like DF said the Wi-Fi is only in the common areas and the rooms are cabled. That was the way I understood it so I posted and alternative method. Sorry if if I misunderstood that or it is wrong.

Lou - is access free with the cable connection in the room?

Loubon
11-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Not sure as I haven't stayed there. I think people mentioned it was. I know at the DVC locations it is $9.95 per 24 hour continuous blocks. But I think I recall someone saying the S&D were free.

RobMax
11-28-2004, 10:29 AM
:rockband:

Loubon
11-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Glenn I haven't hit any of the character limits yet so I'm not sure. I know they are still playing with some settings so that will probably increase over time.

paras4ri
11-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Lou - is access free with the cable connection in the room?
I can help with this! Access is included in the resort fee so while you don't pay extra, you're really still paying for it!

#1hockeymom
11-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Rob>> I tried to get rid of some things in my signature last night. I ended up giving up (and I was trying to take away, not add!) since I hadn't done anything but preview my original signature is still here. You're right, the more code you have, even if it is to make fonts smaller, will easily throw you over the limit. I'd love to help you, but I got stuck with the same problem!

To keep this on topic, you can change the colors of your posts on your OWN computer by changing the colors at the bottom of the screen. Swan/Dolphin are color choices! WOO HOO! :)

Mouseteacher
11-28-2004, 02:23 PM
Debbie~I am in full S/D peach and teal!!!

RobMax
11-28-2004, 04:30 PM
:charac2:

tenbelow
11-28-2004, 07:21 PM
I understand the resort fee includes in room unlimited coffee and was wondering if it was a REAL coffee maker (ie: 10 or 12 cup or one of those pod type brewers) or one of the usual cheapies I've encountered at other hotels.

We'll be staying at the Swan for Christmas and I can't wait! :cool1:

paras4ri
11-28-2004, 09:22 PM
I understand the resort fee includes in room unlimited coffee and was wondering if it was a REAL coffee maker (ie: 10 or 12 cup or one of those pod type brewers) or one of the usual cheapies I've encountered at other hotels.

We'll be staying at the Swan for Christmas and I can't wait! :cool1:I don't have a picture of the coffee pots but from memory I don't believe they're larger than 2-4 cups. We were happier getting refillable cups from Tubbi's (right across the bridge in the Dolphin) They serve Starbucks and are open 24 hours!

Have a wonderful Christmas trip!

tenbelow
11-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your helpful reply; Tubbi's, refillable, Starbucks AND open 24/7... my caffeine source has been found! :drinking1

Cheers,
Mike

#1hockeymom
11-28-2004, 09:46 PM
Yes, the coffee pot is one of those cheapies you usually find, but if you need more of anything you just call down and they'll gladly bring you up plenty, be it coffee, or just more sugar. Starbucks is served in the rest of the hotel so there are great places for a GOOD cup of coffee!

twinmomplus2new
11-29-2004, 08:32 AM
We have switched our AKL club ressie to the Swan as we are leaving a day earler than originally planned :guilty: Anyway we plan on taking advantage of some of the Christmas activities planned on the website. Any advice on where to eat with 3 small kids? 2, 4 and one 10. I don't want to walk over to the Boardwalk as I will be there for the preceeding week. Any and all advice on spending some down time at this resort will be most appreciated!

kimmar067
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
...that everyone had a wonderful T-Day!! :cloud9:

ww52
11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
A quick hello to everyone! Once again, I haven't been on this thread in many weeks or months. I used to be a frequent visitor, but work and home has been keeping me much busier than it used to. I really need a vacation - which happilly is coming up in about three weeks.

Which brings me to my on-topic question (I see there is a SD community thread now - have to try to check that out and at least say hello). We will want to upgrade our rooms to Club Level using Starwood points - is it still 1000 per night? How far in advance can we call to set that up? I think it was one week the last time we did it - but I don't recall for sure. I also seem to remember that this is best done by calling the hotel directly as opposed to the general Starwood reservation center. Correct?

Thanks for the help -
Bill

LorieDisneyLover
11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
We're headed to the Swan for New Year's Eve. Anyone know if there any special events planned for the Swan for NYE?

Also, how do you go about making priority seating for restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin? And how do you schedule this free childcare when you eat at a certain restaurant?

Thanks

Mouseteacher
11-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I have made my bluezoo ressie by calling the Dolphin directly. I believe you can call Camp Dolphin (the kids care center) and let them know you have reservations at the bluezoo. Childcare is free when dining at bluezoo. Btw, we just loved our dining experience at bluezoo - food was fantastic, servers were attentive and the atmosphere superb!

HughJackman'n'me
11-29-2004, 02:15 PM
....an idiot, WHAT IS BLUEZOO??!?!?!

(hey, Caroline, wanna share an Illuminations Cruise, or is it too late??)

RobMax
11-29-2004, 02:18 PM

Mouseteacher
11-29-2004, 04:11 PM
Hi, kimmar! bluezoo is Todd English's newest restaurant located in the Dolphin. Todd English, celebrity chef, started out with a flagship restaurant in Charlestown (right next to Boston).

ozziewags
11-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Follow this link to the Swan/Dolphin holiday activities, food, etc. What a wonderful time to stay......soak it all in...you are in for a treat.

link..http://www.swandolphin.com/holidays/christmas/index.html

simonmunro
11-29-2004, 04:56 PM
I have been away and this is my first view of the "new look". I can't find search, do we still have search??? Does anyone know why it's not WDW Dolphin & Swan? Usually all things being equal the alphabet comes to the rescue for written priority. A woman shopping beside me said "my conference ran out of rooms at ?????? resort and so they booked me in Dolphin/Swan I hope I'll like it". I, of course went on and on about her good fortune but I wondered about her saying the Dolphin/Swan, it sounded funny to me and I realized that's because it's always referred to the Swan/Dolphin.

RobMax
11-29-2004, 04:57 PM

ozziewags
11-29-2004, 05:24 PM
RobMax....don't know if this helps, but scroll down the page and see if you have "show my signature" checked in the box at the bottom of the page when you click on "post reply." Just a thought. So much new stuff! :charac2:

simonmunro
11-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Ok, I'm going to test my signature and see if I did this correctly. My computer may be too old to process a signature. I think we bought this before there was internet, so I'm just lucky to be online! Is the first week in April a value rate time for the Dolphin?

RobMax
11-29-2004, 05:52 PM

opal
11-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know what is going at S/D Jan 4-7. No rooms are available. Is it because of the Marathon or is there a convention?

TLinden16
11-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Please remember to keep this thread on topic so that folks with questions about the Swan/Dolphin can find the answers easily.

The new home of the Sigma Delta Sorority SIsters can be found here on the Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680723)

If you have questions about the new boards or signature guidelines, please ask them over at the Technical Board. That is also the best place to check signatures.

Thanks for your assistance.

Karen

RobMax
11-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Done!

ww52
11-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Can anyone help me with my upgrade questions? (see previous post a page or two back).

Thanks,
Bill

jgates
11-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Bill - I believe the last concensus was that it is supposed to be 1000 points per night but some people were being charged the 1500. So, what help am I? Not much. You may have to keep asking until you get the answer you want from someone at S/D.

And hopefully this is enough on topic......

Do you know why it is called the Blue Zoo? Because when Todd's child (son I believe) was little, when he wanted to go to the Aquarium, he would ask dad to take him to the 'Blue Zoo'. Get it? We thought that was a cool reason for the restaurant name! The food was outstanding, but the $135 bill was a bit of a shock to the system.

awatt
11-30-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm thinking about a trip to WDW next JUly, and staying at the Swan or Dolphin. Checked out rack rates,which are more than I'm wanting to spend since this trip is sort of an afterthought.

I'm a relatively new SPG member,so don't have enough points accrued yet to be of any significant benefit.

I noticed on MOusesavers that AAA rates are available. Are there other ways to save off rack rate? i.e. AP rates,entertainment book etc. Do the Swan/Dolphin run periodic specials?

Thanks for your help.

RobMax
11-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking about a trip to WDW next JUly, and staying at the Swan or Dolphin. Checked out rack rates,which are more than I'm wanting to spend since this trip is sort of an afterthought.

I'm a relatively new SPG member,so don't have enough points accrued yet to be of any significant benefit.

I noticed on MOusesavers that AAA rates are available. Are there other ways to save off rack rate? i.e. AP rates,entertainment book etc. Do the Swan/Dolphin run periodic specials?

Thanks for your help.

There typically is an AP rate and if you are a teacher or gov't employee you can get an even deeper discount. Also - you may be able to book online at a cheap internet rate it you do it at spg.com...

ww52
11-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks jgates. I hope it's still 1000, because at 1500 we won't have enough for both rooms. I think I'll call them today and see what they say. I'll post their response.

Mouseteacher
11-30-2004, 10:57 AM

Thanks for your help.

There is a AAA rate as well as the Entertainment rate. The best rate is the teacher/gov't/nurse rate. However, use your spg membership to get an upgrade. It does happen even without accruing points.

sugermouse
11-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Since the Swan and Dolphin are not owned by Disney, I doubt that they are included in the refrigerator program.

awatt
11-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Mouseteacher- How do I use the SPG membership to get an upgrade without points?

paras4ri
11-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Mouseteacher- How do I use the SPG membership to get an upgrade without points?If an upgrade is available you'll get it being an SPG member!

kimmar067
11-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi, kimmar! bluezoo is Todd English's newest restaurant located in the Dolphin. Todd English, celebrity chef, started out with a flagship restaurant in Charlestown (right next to Boston).
...Mouseteacher and ozziewags - I was totally CLUELESS!

Mouseteacher
12-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Mouseteacher- How do I use the SPG membership to get an upgrade without points?
awatt~ Make sure that your spg # is on your reservation - call the Dolphin and check to make sure. Also, you can go on their website and send an e mail requesting a complimentary upgrade in advance of your stay. Clik on "Reservations" and then on "Special Request".

ww52
12-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Does Mama T still work at the lounge at Club Level? I assume she will have time off over the Christmas holidays, but I hope we see her at least once during our stay.

Mouseteacher
12-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Bill~the last I knew of MamaT's assignment was through DF's summer visit. I believe she said MamaT went back and forth between S and D.

jgates
12-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Bill~the last I knew of MamaT's assignment was through DF's summer visit. I believe she said MamaT went back and forth between S and D.

She was at the Swan for most of the 2nd half of July. She had I believe just spent a few days at the Dolphin before that. Thabo was there most mornings and Maria was there most evenings. OUSTANDING STAFF.

kimmar067
12-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Does Mama T still work at the lounge at Club Level? I assume she will have time off over the Christmas holidays, but I hope we see her at least once during our stay.

....can ask Dan Murphy. He is there right now, with his DD!

ww52
12-09-2004, 08:47 AM
In an effort to keep this thread active , I'm posting a question here about upgrades using Sheraton Preferred Guest points.

Our preference for our trip is to use our points to get up on the Club Level. I'm pretty sure its still 1000 points a night per room. But my brother in law called the Swan and they said they are booked during the last part of our vacation. (Looks like the promotion worked.)

For those who don't know, you can call five days before the start of your stay to apply points fro upgrading. So my question - and I do have one - is this: what are my options if the Club Rooms are not available, and what would the S/D veterens here recommend? For example, at times I've heard people were able to secure CL privileges with their room being off the CL floor. Or other times a suite upgrade is available. Any other options? And can you secure a suite upgrade for the same 1000 points? And can it be done 5 days in advance, or only at checkin?

Thanks for the help.

kimmar067
12-09-2004, 11:25 AM
....Sorority Sistas! :wave:

Mouseteacher
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
In an effort to keep this thread active , I'm posting a question here about upgrades using Sheraton Preferred Guest points.

Our preference for our trip is to use our points to get up on the Club Level. I'm pretty sure its still 1000 points a night per room. But my brother in law called the Swan and they said they are booked during the last part of our vacation. (Looks like the promotion worked.)

For those who don't know, you can call five days before the start of your stay to apply points fro upgrading. So my question - and I do have one - is this: what are my options if the Club Rooms are not available, and what would the S/D veterens here recommend? For example, at times I've heard people were able to secure CL privileges with their room being off the CL floor. Or other times a suite upgrade is available. Any other options? And can you secure a suite upgrade for the same 1000 points? And can it be done 5 days in advance, or only at checkin?

Thanks for the help.

We received a comp upgrade to a jr. suite at the Swan. I am spg Gold. Try getting a comp upgrade first then if that doesn't work - use your points.

Kimmar~SHHHHHHH (this isn't the sorority house anymore --- we'd be off topic!) :guilty: :guilty:
PS~ I like your Boston accent, sista! :cool:

disneyeveryyear
12-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Due to the iffy weather next week, I am thinking I may have to do a load or two of laundry for sweatshirts, jeans, etc.

Where are the laundry facilities? Are they convenient? How many washers and dryers? When is best time of day to wash?

Thanks so much for all your help!

paras4ri
12-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Due to the iffy weather next week, I am thinking I may have to do a load or two of laundry for sweatshirts, jeans, etc.

Where are the laundry facilities? Are they convenient? How many washers and dryers? When is best time of day to wash?

Thanks so much for all your help!The laundry room in the Dolphin is large and clean. It's right next to the game room on the ground floor...along the corridor that leads to the pool. There are many washers and dryers and we didn't have any trouble at all when using it during the day in July.

Have a great trip!

Loubon
12-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Listen to Gail....she is a laundry expert.

mickeyfan1
12-16-2004, 06:14 AM

:earseek: :earseek: :earseek: :love:

Mouseteacher
12-16-2004, 06:42 AM

Will she come to your house and do laundry??!! :laughing:

Breezy_Carol
12-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Will she come to your house and do laundry??!! :laughing:
Oh My!!! :earseek:

MOM POPPINS
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
The laundry area is located on the first floor of the Dolphin. It is right down the hall from Tubbi's and the gameroom. There are appox. 10 washers and 10 dryers..:) I have washed in the morning and at night. I have never had to wait on a machine to be available. So I would just go when it is convenient for you... Have fun at WDW...It's beautiful this time of year to be in the world!

I did not see Gail's post until now! Oh well at least I am trying to be on topic ;)

:flower1:

madge
12-16-2004, 09:14 AM

That is what Mama T told me in October--she spends most of her time at the Swan, but occasionally they will send her to the Dolphin. :)

ww52
12-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Don't know about laundry - does anyone else? We may be in the same situation next week.

I called today to try to get upgraded to Club Level using SPG points - and the Club Level (Swan) is full. In fact, they said the entire hotel is full starting about the 23rd. Saw on other threads that MGM actually closed one recent Saturday. Looks like long lines everywhere next week.

disneyeveryyear
12-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks again to all in the know. Glad to find out laundry is relative painless (now if I just had it all done at home and was ready to go). I had all the shorts and t-shirts pulled for the kids and ready to pack. Now I need to reassess and find warmer clothes for them. Of course a cold day at WDW is still warmer than here right now, and better than any day in Illinois.

I guess I'll have to throw a few WISK tablets in the suitcase too.

dreamflight99
12-16-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm glad to read SOMEONE is...as when I'm on vacation, I DESPISE doing laundry. Either DH does it for me/us (he's a gem), or I send it off in the bag with the little list all checked (and it's delivered FRESH, CLEAN and all folded neatly to my suite!).

I did this while in London recently, at another Starwood property (like the Dolphin). It worked fabulously. :cool:

*Come to think of it...I really do not enjoy laundry at home much either! :earboy2: :rolleyes:

P.S. The Dolphin will permit access to the laundry room 24/7. If the doors are locked, and you wish to enter late in the eve, for some quick washing, just go to the front desk and ask. Someone from security will open the door for you! They are always very nice and accomodating for my DH. ^_^

kimmar067
12-17-2004, 08:09 AM
....I don't mind doin' laundry, except the white loads, with all my family's SOCKS!!! ACK!!!!

dreamflight99
12-17-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm glad to read SOMEONE is...as when I'm on vacation, I DESPISE doing laundry. Either DH does it for me/us (he's a gem), or I send it off in the bag with the little list all checked (and it's delivered FRESH, CLEAN and all folded neatly to my suite!).

I did this while in London recently, at another Starwood property (like the Dolphin). It worked fabulously. :cool:

*Come to think of it...I really do not enjoy laundry at home much either! :earboy2: :rolleyes:

P.S. The Dolphin will permit access to the laundry room 24/7. If the doors are locked, and you wish to enter late in the eve, for some quick washing, just go to the front desk and ask. Someone from security will open the door for you! They are always very nice and accomodating for my DH. ^_^

FOR THE RECORD: I'd like to kindly recant/retract the above...and state FOR THE RECORD I personally LOVE "DOING THE LAUNDRY" anytime, anyplace...and ESPECIALLY enjoy all the WILD and CRAZY magical trappings of DOING IT WHILE AT WDW & THE DOLPHIN!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :charac2: :cloud9: :cool1:

TTFN....DF99 :wave:

Mouseteacher
12-17-2004, 01:14 PM
:blush: :cool:

WhenUwishUponAstar
12-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Go get em Gail!!

woo hooo!!

#1hockeymom
12-17-2004, 04:40 PM
I love doing laundry too... but only at the Swan and Dolphin! :)

dreamflight99
12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
I love doing laundry too... but only at the Swan and Dolphin! :)Here's DH...washing our vacation duds in a CAN by the DOLPHIN WATER'S EDGE!
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0209/images/life/washing_clothes_enlarge.jpg

When we stay at the PBH...we use the convenience of AIR-DRYING it in the sweet Florida Sunshine!
http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/MDG/MDG196/wt17043.jpg

I too..."LOVE" Doing Laundry....LOL.

G8RFAN
12-17-2004, 07:30 PM
I did a search and I couldn't find anything on the boards, but... we just came back from a week at the Boardwalk Villas and on the way back from MGM, the pilot on the Friendship boat was a bit chatty and told us that he was on the construction crew for the Swan/Dolphin. He told us two secrets...

1. There is a front-end loader (similar to a bulldozer) buried beneath one of the hotels

2. The Dolphin and Swan scuptures are on the wrong buildings. Except for the shell fountain which was one of the last things to be installed, everything that is on the Swan has shells. Even many of the themed chandeliers inside. The Dolphin has the (lotus leaves?) My DW and I spent some time thinking why they would not just move them to the correct buildings instead of trying to change the theme as best as they could at the last minute if there was some truth to this.

Disneycrazymom
12-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know why I'm not getting a good rate too show up for June 4-June12? The best I can find is $209 standard. Where did all the discounts go? I LOVE the Swan but for that we can stay anywhere! Any advise? I am a teacher, we are Starwood members, and I will buy an Entertainment book but right now all of those are the same $209.
Thanks! :wave:

sherry8253
12-19-2004, 06:21 PM
I did a search and I couldn't find anything on the boards, but... we just came back from a week at the Boardwalk Villas and on the way back from MGM, the pilot on the Friendship boat was a bit chatty and told us that he was on the construction crew for the Swan/Dolphin. He told us two secrets...

1. There is a front-end loader (similar to a bulldozer) buried beneath one of the hotels

2. The Dolphin and Swan scuptures are on the wrong buildings. Except for the shell fountain which was one of the last things to be installed, everything that is on the Swan has shells. Even many of the themed chandeliers inside. The Dolphin has the (lotus leaves?) My DW and I spent some time thinking why they would not just move them to the correct buildings instead of trying to change the theme as best as they could at the last minute if there was some truth to this. My DH said that the Dolphin & Swan sculptures are on the correct buildings. He was the plant manager for the company located on Disney property that provided building supplies and concrete to Disney when the Swan and Dolphin were constucted and he was there the day them sculptures were put on the hotels. He said there was not an error in the placements or his butt would have been fried because his crew were the ones who placed the statues. :cool1:

Mouseteacher
12-20-2004, 06:37 AM
Does anyone know why I'm not getting a good rate too show up for June 4-June12? The best I can find is $209 standard. Where did all the discounts go? I LOVE the Swan but for that we can stay anywhere! Any advise? I am a teacher, we are Starwood members, and I will buy an Entertainment book but right now all of those are the same $209.

Did you ask for the Teacher Rate for your time frame? The teacher rate is lower than $209. Usually as SPG members, you can receive complimentary upgrades but not necessarily discounts.

kimmar067
12-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Here's DH...washing our vacation duds in a CAN by the DOLPHIN WATER'S EDGE!
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0209/images/life/washing_clothes_enlarge.jpg

When we stay at the PBH...we use the convenience of AIR-DRYING it in the sweet Florida Sunshine!
http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/MDG/MDG196/wt17043.jpg

I too..."LOVE" Doing Laundry....LOL.

....funny! :rotfl:

rachael95
12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
We've just checked into the Dolphin and have PS for Boma tomorrow morning at 0930. We called the express service number and asked if there was any direct transportation from Dolphin to Animal Kingdom Lodge and the lady said there was a special bus just for dining, and you just needed to have your confirmation number for your PS.

Can anyone else confirm this and provide more details? The lady was nice but didn't seem to have much in the way of specifics - and I want to make sure we don't miss our breakfast in the morning, but since we're doing this trip sans rental car we're pretty much depending on Disney transportation.

ozziewags
12-20-2004, 09:40 PM
I have never heard of this, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, especially with all the changes recently. We had dinner PS at Boma and went from AK. So you can bus to AK then from AK to AKL.(if necessary) I would find out more about the special dining transportation first. You can also go to the transportation board and make a loud shout out to Chip and Dale Express...he is a disney bus driver and knows all about it!

#1hockeymom
12-20-2004, 10:15 PM
I also have never heard of this. It sounds like what she is talking about *the dining line lady* would be the bus that starts running before park opening so people can make their PARK PSs. It is a 12 dollar taxi fare from S/D to AKL, maybe it was less, I just remember handing the driver 15. It was well worth it to us when we did use a taxi just to pay someone else and go directly to where we needed to be. I still am anti car rental, but do love to have a taxi when I really need it! :)

If you do want to to the bus hop thing, take the very first bus that shows up for AK or DTD and get on it, then get off and get on the AKL bus. You can also take the boat to MGM then get on the AKL bus back to the lodge.

Enjoy your breakfast at Boma!
Debbie

PS LOVE the laundry, DF!

rachael95
12-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. What we ended up doing was hopping the boat to MGM, then taking the bus from there to AKL. Seemed to work fine. This afternoon we'll be riding the boat back to Epcot for dinner at Alfredo's.

ozziewags
12-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Glad it worked out....have a wonderful time!!! :cool1:

#1hockeymom
12-21-2004, 02:34 PM
You were at my two favorite places today. Please take me next time? :)

Have a magical vacation for the rest of your time down there!
Debbie

kimmar067
12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
...to have several people on the WDW bus at the same time, wishing to go to AKL [as opposed to AK], and our driver was nice enough to accomodate us by taking us DIRECTLY TO AKL INSTEAD!!! :flower1:

matt2525
12-22-2004, 01:56 PM

Have you phoned to try to book at the Entertainment rate? The Entertainment book offers 50% off rack rates ($169 for your dates) or 10% off best available rates - whichever is the lower. If you phone and ask for the Entertainment discount you should be able to book at $169

Matt

mar915
12-22-2004, 03:21 PM
I am going June11- 18 and I am averaging about $297 a night since there is a convention in town. No discounts available and I booked this in about end of Sept this year. I keep checking in case they open up some spots if the held rooms for the convention does not go.

Mary :earseek:

Disneycrazymom
12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks Matt I will try that. I have not called directly yet. The Swan is really our favorite place to stay,but we need 2 rooms this year and can't pay 200+ for each of them.

Oh and welcome to the Dis!

kimmar067
12-23-2004, 10:39 AM
....to all the Sorority Sistas:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

dreamflight99
12-23-2004, 04:20 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL!!~So happy to see this on page #1. ^_^ Makes me think of all the GOOD times. XO :love: :hug:

HAPPY LAUNDRY and HOLIDAYS to EACH and EVERY ONE of you!!

Always....

TTFN...DF99 :wave:

Boardwalk Tigger
12-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know if the Swan/Dolphin site ever confirms your special requests made online. I have done this in the past and never received a confirmation? What gives? :guilty:

Mouseteacher
12-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Boardwalk Tigger~ I have received canned e mail responses to my "special request" e mails but at least it was acknowledging that they received the e mail. However, last summer, I did receive an e mail that was specific to my request and not canned.

Boardwalk Tigger
12-23-2004, 08:10 PM
It is nice to know that they respond to someone:) I have tried for two separate vacations and no confirmation. I sent it twice( After not hearing for several days but never heard back.) I didn't want to bother them again so I didn't email again. Can we call in a request or is that to forward?

#1hockeymom
12-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Boardwalk Tigger>> I called them a day before our first trip to the Swan. I was obsessed with view even though I had booked club level. I REALLY wanted a balcony, so finally I called. Begging/pleading/laughing with the room assigner did wonders and we ended up with the east wing/top floor /balcony/ corner room facing spaceship Earth!

Call! It can't hurt a thing!
Debbie

Boardwalk Tigger
12-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks #1Hockey Mom! I :earboy2: am going to give it a try before we leave :)

dreamflight99
12-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Boardwalk Tigger>> I called them a day before our first trip to the Swan. I was obsessed with view even though I had booked club level. I REALLY wanted a balcony, so finally I called. Begging/pleading/laughing with the room assigner did wonders and we ended up with the east wing/top floor /balcony/ corner room facing spaceship Earth!

Call! It can't hurt a thing!
Debbie

"ASK, AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!" I too...go by the CALL & ASK school method (Tried and True!). Nothing ventured...nothing gained. By all means, call and ask to speak with the "room assigner" or manager. It could make all the difference in the world. ;)

Hope everyone has enjoyed a wonderful Christmas Holiday...and has an even HAPPIER NEW YEAR!!! :grouphug:

dreamflight99
12-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Just a friendly WISHHFUL wave to everyone currently staying AT the WDW SWAN/DOLPHIN...Just returning FROM the WDW Swan/Dolphin...or planning to VISIT the WDW SWAN/DOLPHIN! :wave: :wizard:

My plans are confirmed for the WDW Dolphin, and Disney's VERO BEACH resort too! I have to get to work on the PBH, airlines and rental vehicles! The trip to Europe has me a bit discombobulated and side-tracked. :rolleyes:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL! TTFN...DF99 :wave:

kimmar067
12-30-2004, 08:04 PM
...I gotta couple loads of laundry that needs cleaning - interested??? :rolleyes:

In case I don't get a chance:

Happy New Year!

Mouseteacher
01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Happy New Year
right back at you, kimmar, and all the WL Vets! :D

kimmar067
01-01-2005, 05:36 PM
....Happy New Year to all the "tee-cherrs" of America!

#1hockeymom
01-01-2005, 05:39 PM
shhhh we're hoping no one makes us go back to work on Monday! LOL Happy New Year back at ya, Kimmar!

Mouseteacher
01-01-2005, 05:49 PM
:guilty: trying to pretend that Monday isn't coming!!!

HughJackman'n'me
01-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Too late! :guilty:

Deb ~
Wow, I just noticed you are doin' the "Single-Digit" Dance!! :cool1:

#1hockeymom
01-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Yes I am! Good timing too, as I can't get the Wishes soundtrack out of my head! You'll be there soon!

TLinden16
01-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Please remember to keep this thread on topic so folks looking for answers about the Swan and Dolphin can find them easily. A Swan Dolphin chit chat thread has been started for all of you on the Community Board.

Thanks.

Karen

Hieatt
01-04-2005, 09:40 AM
We arrived back yesterday from our fourth stay at the Dolphin, and the place just keeps getting better and more magical! It is sealed as my absolute favorite Disney resort.

We were lucky enough to get a great 2 BR suite on the 9th floor, with one of the bedrooms facing Epcot. We shared it with some friends and it was awesome! The room and hallway renovations look absolutely terrific, and our friends were taking the bed apart to figure out who made it so they could buy one!

The hotel was sold out, and everything was packed, but service remained excellent. Tubbi's is one of the best places to get great moderately priced food. I highly recommend getting the pizzas, which taste excellent, are cheap and are available boxed up to go!

I am ready to book my trip for next year - just hope I can get another decent rate on a suite again! We had 9 people and the kids (age ranges 1 - 6) just loved having the extra space to play and run around. And it was nice knowing the bedrooms on either side of the parlor were ours, so that the noise wasn't bothering anyone!

The view was amazing, but I think next time I will ask for a room on the West elevator line, as I think the convenience to Tubbis and the pool area outweighs the Epcot view for our family.

Something new this year also was they had complimentary bottled water, coffee and hot chocolate set up at the boat launch area for early risers on their way to Epcot and MGM!!! I assume this was a special holiday thing - but definitely new - we were there the same week the last 2 years and never saw that. It was a great touch!

Our friends got room service once and thought the quality was excellent and portions were large enough to justify the prices.

We also had a wonderful NYE dinner with the kids at Gullivers Grill. The food and service was outstanding.

I know everyone complains about the $10 resort charge, but I felt we got our full value out of it. With unlimited high speed internet, health club access, morning paper and in-room coffee, each of which we used daily, I found the $10 charge to be a bargain.

My wife also took full advantage of park package delivery to Daisy's garden, which worked very efficiently

Overall, I have to say the Dolphin keeps getting better and better. The quality of everything is excellent. Best value on property.

kellyann
01-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Hello :wave:

We are staying at the Dolphin in April - our 1st time staying there. We have booked a jr. suite (2 adults, 3 children) and was wondering if anyone can share their experience of staying in a jr. suite. Are they located on any particular floor, or are they scattered throughout the hotel? Any info. would be appreciated.

TIA,

Kellyann

Rhonda922
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Has anyone who recently stayed at the Swan or Dolphin notice that the carpet was really dirty, that the wallpaper was peeling, or that there was a mold smell inside the hotel? These are a couple things that I've read about in reviews on another website.

Hieatt
01-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Has anyone who recently stayed at the Swan or Dolphin notice that the carpet was really dirty, that the wallpaper was peeling, or that there was a mold smell inside the hotel? These are a couple things that I've read about in reviews on another website.

No.. none of the above. I believe all of these issues were addressed by the recently completed renovation. I did notice the wear last year when we stayed in rooms that had not been renovated.

MOM POPPINS
01-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Kellyann ~ We have stayed in the Jr. Suites at the Dolphin. It is my understanding the suites are scattered throughout the hotel . Both times we were in a Jr. Suite we were on the 14th. club floor with a pretty good view of the fireworks at Epcot. We have 5 kiddos as you can see below and we enjoy having the extra space. Please let me know if you have any more specific questions. :)

paras4ri
01-04-2005, 04:07 PM
We were in a suite opposite the west elevators on the 8th floor. The location was wonderful....just a quick ride down to Tubbi's and to the pool!

Boardwalk Tigger
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
We just came back from the Dolphin and stayed on the 6th floor . The carpet and wallpaper in the halls was new. I did notice when the elevator stopped on the fifth floor that the carpeting was old ,faded and really bad shape and the wallpaper had not been done. They must still be working on different floors.

kellyann
01-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Mom Poppin, thanks for the info. I can imagine needing the extra space with 5 kids!! My husband refuses to go on vacation if he has to sleep in the same room with our three kids, he likes to stay up late and read and watch tv, so we figured the jr. suite would be perfect for us.

One more question: how did the murphy bed work out for you? Was it closed up during the day? I can only imagine the fun the kids would have playing with that! :earseek:

Thanks again!

paras4ri
01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I can help with the Murphy bed question. We left that down for the entire time we were at the Dolphin. The sleep sofa was in the room with the Murphy bed (and the adjoining room had 2 double beds) and we had the sofa folded up each day. Even with both open there was lots of room to move around.

#1hockeymom
01-04-2005, 05:04 PM
We had a "hospitality suite" upgrade during the sorority meet. It was basically 2-3 room size, but all together in one room. We had the small kitchen area, also. The murphy bed stayed down the entire time, and was made up every day. This is where I slept. WAY over on the other side of the room where my son and DD's boyfriend slept was the sofa sleeper, which was closed up every morning by housekeeping and turned down every night by them. My DD slept on the rollaway they brought in and they made that up every day as a bed, and also turned it down along with everything else at night. We were all in the same room, but the space was fabulous! We also had two-three chairs?, two sofa tables, a few end tables and a coffee table, and two phones with this configuration.

dreamflight99
01-04-2005, 06:02 PM
:wave: HAPPY NEW YEAR & a big HELLO to everyone NEW here, posting for information on the WDW Dolphin/Swan resorts! ~Seeing this age~old thread always brings a smile :) to my face, as we all LOVE the Dolphin...and have exchanged an incredible (phenomenal) amount of information on this forum over the years.

I see most of the questions have been promptly & correctly answered by the S/D veterans, per usual! :cloud9:

Hieatt~Thank you, again, for such an eloquent and well~written post! The details of your visit, have me LONGING to return to the Dolphin ASAP. ;)
WOW...the bottled water, coffee and cocoa @ the boat launch for the early risers/park visitors is GREAT NEWS! Hopefully, they will provide this year-round. :cool: I too...believe the resort fee is a veritable BARGAIN for what you receive! ^_^ Glad you had such a magical time, you are planning your return. :wizard:

*Murphy beds are wonderful, easy to use...and fitted with a smooth hydraulic system to facilitate the "lift" maneuver!

*Views and amenities on CLUB LEVEL are AMAZING!

*The renovation is nearly complete, which includes all the halls and wallpaper.

*Jr. Suites are situated throughout the resort, and offer various configurations.

The WDW Dolphin and Swan are undoubtedly the two BEST KEPT SECRETS on Disney property. HAPPY TRAILS to all dancing the single digit dance, and others in the planning mode! ENJOY all the MAGIC associated with these FANTASTIC resorts!

TTFN...:wave2: DF99

*Great BIG :wave: to all the old~timers! Miss and :love: you all....XO. {{HUGS}}

sherry8253
01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
:sad2: We booked the Dolphin with the government rate and have been told that we cannot use points to upgrade to club level even though club level rooms are available. Has this happened to anyone else????

lovingthemouse
01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Have been checking for the teacher discounts but none seem to be offered this year. We have always gotten a rate of $129 and then last year $149. Are they outpricing us now? We love the Dolphin but I will not pay the
$249. they are now quoting. What is happening to the teacher discounts?
Caroline :teacher:

pbhunt
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
We did not see the government rates available this year at either Swan or Dolphin. We kept checking up until the end of October, for our planned trip in April 05. At that point we all decided to meet up in Las Vegas for the week.

Maybe next year, if they don't price themselves out of our range.

kimmar067
01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
....we stayed at the Dolphin for $99!!!

Caroline ~
I checked with AKL concirege but they don't have any Illumination cruises available! :guilty: Drat! However, Don at AKL said that he'd place me on a 'waiting list' in case of a cancellation.....

dreamflight99
01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
sherry8253~Don't panic..as far as I know, you are still able to upgrade to CL using points, while reserved under any of the resorts "special/promo" rates. The only time this is not permitted, (under corporate changes enacted last Jan), is when you reserve through a "third" party company (ie: priceline, etc). Please, use the form on the Swan/Dolphin website to email the reservation dept. and alert them of your preference/desire to be on CLUB LEVEL using your SPG points. I'm sure it will not be a problem. Or, simply phone the resort and ask to speak with "JAMES" at the front desk (a manager). He's been there forever (since it opened), and is extremely helpful with respect to such issues. Hope this helps. :D

lovingthemouse~ :wave: Happy New Year, Caroline...I surely hope the rate you were quoted is not the TEACHER'S rate, as that is a bit too steep! Please, call again, and ask for a reservation supervisor. This should result in a much better quote, etc. :cloud9: Please post your findings. Thanks! :hug:

pbhunt~WOW! Usually the Gov't rates are available during the entire year. Perhaps the section they reserved for this promo was sold-out, leaving only the regular rates, etc. I know they go FAST! Hope you are able to reserve at this special rate for your next stay. GOOD LUCK! :flower:

kimmar067~:wave2: Hi Kim!! $99...astounding!!! I hope you extended your stay at that phenomenal rate! I also hope someone cancels an illuminations cruise so you are able to enjoy this wonderful treat! I still have yet to stay at the AKL concierge *(the only way to go!). :cool: I'm in the midst of my planning for this summer...and have the Dolphin secured (Whew). I just reserved two weeks at Disney's VERO BEACH resort...and have the auto rentals, and the PBH to go! Take care...always great to see you on here. :love:

Rhonda922
01-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Is it okay to use Dreams Unlimited to book the Swan? I've never used DU before. I know they're a sponsor but I'm sometimes a bit skeptical to give money to someone outside of the hotel directly or to AAA. I'm really thinking about DU because they have such a great rate for the dates that we want to be at The World.

thanks!

ww52
01-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Rhonda -
Yes - by all means I recommend using Dreams Unlimited to book your Swan or Dolphin room. The biggest advantage is that they constantly check for newer (better) rates and then update your reservation accordingly. We saved hundreds of dollars on our recent stay over Christmas when the rates went down. I didn't even know about the promotion until Bob of DU called me to tell me. Since we had three rooms total, our savings overall was over $1,000!

We did have some trouble with that rate on one of the rooms when we checked in, but a call to DU got it resolved easily.

I am sold on Dreams Unlimited, and highly recommend them.

zagafi
01-05-2005, 02:37 PM
I need a little help. I'm wondering if we'd be better using the teacher rate or ap rate for December. Is it still the case that the ap rate gives late checkout and a one category bump?

lovingthemouse
01-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok, as I have been told , the teacher discount only is available for 3 days in February - the 2nd -4th - when none of us are on vacation, of course. The rate for those three nights is $169. In April, there are 4 dates with the discount - at the very beginning and on the 28th, 29th. I was told that the $149 rate is only available in the summer. So, we will no longer be staying at the Dolphin - after all these years of enjoyment, they have surely priced us out! I am very disappointed!! :sad2:

Kimmar- i tried for the Illuminations cruise- have had no success either. We will get together for sure!!!

Have a great Thursday. Looks like a big snowstorm here tomorrow!! I was just getting to enjoy this bare ground!!! Caroline :teacher:

Kapp
01-05-2005, 04:39 PM
there has been the rumor/feeling going on for the last few years that the Teacher/Nurse discount could go away at anytime. I think they orginally used it to keep the hotels full and offer a nice service (and GREATLY appreciated by this family!) to those that usally go unrecognized. But with attendance at WDW up, business and convention travel up, etc. this may be a way for them to discontiue it while not really. Again, I REALLY hate to hear this!

:teleport: Kapp :teleport:

magicaddict
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM
I just made ressies for June and while on the phone inquired about the govt rate. She said there were none available for that time. I then asked if they weren't available or hadn't yet been released. She said that there probably would be rates released as we get closer to summer. HTH

alwaysrunning
01-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I just made a reservation for the Dolphin in June. The best rate they could give me was 209 (233 after tax etc.) per night(ENT or AAA). That was for a standard room. I really don't want to pay much more than 200 per night, so I booked this standard room. My question is should I request anything -- assuming no discounts come out and I need to stick with the standard?

dreamflight99
01-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Rhonda922~DU is a fabulous & reputable agency. You should not experience any problems reserving the Swan through them. :)
As ww52 posted, Bob is extremely proficient and astute. You can not go wrong with this travel company! :cloud9:

lovingthemouse~Oh, Caroline! I do not like to hear this!! Perhaps a better promotional rate will come up between now and then. Please, do not GIVE UP on these resorts!! :guilty:

*Perhaps you, KAPP and others affected by these changes will write a letter directly to the resort and the RESERVATION GURU (AKA: sideshowbob). He has posted here a few times,(look back a few pages for his pm link) and reads these threads occasionally. I would even suggest you pm him for some assistance, etc. He is a MAGIC-MAKER! :wizard: (Not to mention fiercely LOYAL to all the Swan/Dolphin DISers).

magicaddict~Thanks for the "Heads-Up" on the Gov't rate! At least there is hope with this discount/promo...especially for the summer! :love:

alwaysrunning~Are you a member of the Starwood Preferred guest program? If not, please go to www.spg.com and sign-up asap! If you are...the by all means, request an upgrade. These are offered when available, according to occupancy, etc. What type of "upgrade" are you most interested in obtaining? A preferred view? A Balcony? The associates of these properties do their best to fulfill requests, and make the MAGIC happen. They are the BEST in the business. :cheer2: :flower: If something is available, you'll be sure to receive it (IF you request such). It's the old "ASK and YE SHALL RECEIVE" adage. As good as these associates are...they are not "mind-readers" (although it never hurts). So, if you fail to make your intentions clear, they can not assist you!

Also, if another (better) rate is offered, you are free to call the reservation department and see if it is applicable to your stay. At least you have a room secured, and can rest assured you will have a wonderful time at this incredible resort! HAPPY PLANNING!

paras4ri
01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
*Perhaps you, KAPP and others affected by these changes will write a letter directly to the resort and the RESERVATION GURU (AKA: sideshowbob). He has posted here a few times,(look back a few pages for his pm link) and reads these threads occasionally. I would even suggest you pm him for some assistance, etc. He is a MAGIC-MAKER! :wizard: (Not to mention fiercely LOYAL to all the Swan/Dolphin DISers).While keeping on topic, of course, I wanted to add a note to this wonderful suggestion. Our S&D source, SideshowBob, had back surgery just yesterday and has said he'll be recovering for the next month. He is indeed a great friend to all of us S&D faithful. I'm mentioning just in case some PM's are sent and he doesn't respond for a while.

mariethecat
01-06-2005, 07:13 AM
We also had a hospitality room for our trip from Dec 26-Jan 2nd. The room was large and as we were on the west elevator(7th floor) we had a short trip to Tubby's and the Fountain. I did not see any free water,hot chocolate,etc for early morning. We went to MGM on the boat early but walked to Epcot for the 7 o'clock openings. I slept on the Murphy bed and had no problem falling asleep as I was usually very tired. Each of my daughters had a roll away bed and we spread them out in the room as it was so large. WE loved the location of the Dolphin and found the transportation to be great.

lovingthemouse
01-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Moving us back where we belong - the S/D thread rates front page coverage for today!! For anyone on their way back to the S/D - have a safe, wonderful trip!!! Caroline :flower1:

Majestic
01-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I guess I wanted to show off my countdown timer too. :) ::yes::

See yas all in a week or so.

Fred

Mouseteacher
01-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi, Fred! I suggest you "pop" in at the sorority house over on the CB! :rolleyes:

Btw, your counter looks good! :D

dreamflight99
01-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I guess I wanted to show off my countdown timer too. :) ::yes::

See yas all in a week or so.

Fred :cloud9: :wave: Hi FRED!!! Have a MAGICAL TIME in the WORLD, and stop by with some NEWS upon your return!! Also, please stop in and visit us on the CB too (as mouseteacher requested). Mi Casa, et SU CASA!!

paras4ri
01-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Hoping someone who's visited the Dolphin recently can give a status of the spa that's supposed to open on the lobby level. I believe it's taking the space of a jewelry store.

sarahsmom73
01-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Yes! I too would love to know more about the spa! Anyone?

Scoob
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Ok it's been a while that I've been away from the boards - however, another cool Swan visit is being planned for me and the sig other's 5 yr anniversary :thewave:

Soooo... my question to all those Swan/Dolphin devotees is if I can use SPG points to gain Club Level access on a non-club level floor.

I seem to remember that last year the Swan had decided to stop doing this - I hope I'm wrong tho :) Love the Breakfast munchies in the Club!

Scoob

kimmar067
01-11-2005, 08:22 AM
...for a quick "Howdy"!! :wave: (gotta 'vent', but I'll spare ya and do it later.... :guilty: !)

safetymom
01-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Just a reminder of the posting guidelines:

4. NO PERSONAL MESSAGES: These boards are not for exchanging personal messages with friends. For that, we suggest you use email or our Private Message system. If you have a personal comment for that person, please direct it to them via email or PM. If the use of the boards for personal messages continues, those messages will be deleted. Remember, if the message is not intended for EVERYONE, it does not belong on the boards!

Thank you everyone for following the rules. If you would like to refresh your memory regarding the guidelines you can find them here

http://www.disboards.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post

ww52
01-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Scoob -
We were at the Swan in late Decemebr and did just what you are asking - we used our SPG points to upgrade our rooms (three of them) to CL privileges. We even ended up on the 10th floor, so our view was almost the same as it would have been on the CL floors (11&12 in the Swan). I assume the same is true of the Dolphin.

By the way, we were told when he called to do the upgrade that it was at the hotel's discretion. In general, they don't want to "flood" the lounge making it an uncomfortble experience. The hotel was completely booked during our stay and the Club Floors were filled (which is why we couldn't get rooms on the actual Club floor) but the lounge was never over-crowded (we always did breakfast and did the evening session 4 of six days).

And Mama T and Thabo were, as usual, wonderful hosts.

dreamflight99
01-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Hoping someone who's visited the Dolphin recently can give a status of the spa that's supposed to open on the lobby level. I believe it's taking the space of a jewelry store.It's taking the SPACE of COPA BANANA (or Cabana) the old BAR/CLUB near the lobby and East Elevators (and the lounge, pool tables, etc). I believe it's under construction...and should take a while before opening. :teleport: :love:

*The old Jewelry store, will become a BOOKSTORE and COFFEE SHOP!!!! :Pinkbounc :cloud9: :cheer2:

safetymom~Is it permitted to directly (or indirectly as in using the quote feature-such as above, or as I have done by using your name in this post)"answer" someone's post by first using their name (as a courtesy or properly polite manner)? The information which follows such a post will benefit EVERYONE (therefore, this should be acceptable, correct?). Your professional insight is welcome. I do not wish to violate any of the rules and regulations for posting. I also apologize for replying to FRED'S Post, and wishing him a good trip. I'll be sure to review the guidelines again thoroughly, and ask for assistance from you for interpretation purposes (when necessary). TIA.

TigrLvsPooh
01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Just a quick question! From reading the FAQ it looks like there are three views at the Swan.... standard, resort, and water. Is that right? Which is best? Thanks! :wave:

Twigs
01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
I know this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find it. We will be staying at the Swan for the first time and plan to bring the lap top, here at home we have a wireless remote for our cable internet. What do I need to bring to hook up to the internet in our room? I am not that computer savvy so please explain so I will understand. TIA

Kathyandtyler
01-13-2005, 06:48 AM
I just booked 2 nights at the Swan using SPG points. Can I upgrade my rooms using additional points at check in??

Thanks for the info. I haven't been to the Swan/Dolphin since they were updated and I can't wait!!!

TLinden16
01-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Dreamflight, responding to a person with a question about the Swan Dolphin is certainly fine! In fact, I personally think it's a great thing to do when you are responding to multiple questions in one post.

Since another thread for all of the Swan/Dolphin sorority members has been set up over on the Community Board, we are trying to keep the chitchat off this thread so folks who are really looking for answers to questions can find them without reading through pages of threads without information on the Swan/Dolphin.

Thank you for responding with great answers on the thread. It is appreciated.

Karen

ww52
01-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Let me try to answer some of the questions -
regarding views; I don't thin k I can help much; the two times we stayed at the Swan, we had a high floor with what I think was a "standard" view; though it faced the parking lot, bieng that high up we saw MGM very well, especially TOT, and could see much of the effects from Fantasmic.

Regarding upgrading using points after using points to book the room - yes, that can be done, and I believe it can be done ahead of check in as well (I think it's 2 or three days before - help me out, Sigma Delta sisters). A call to the front desk should answer this.

Now, the internet connection I know about. Wireless will not work in the rooms - only in the common areas like the lobby and I'm sure outside in places (didn't get a chance to try that out though). The room supplies an Ethernet cord to be plugged into the Ethernet port in your computer (that port looks like a standard phone jack, but it's a bit wider.) So you don't need to bring anything except the computer (and power cord to keep it charged). After you connect the cord to your computer, all you have to do is start up whatever browser you use (Internet Exlporer or Netscape or Mozilla or whatever) and a Swan/Dolphin connection page should load. From there, just follow the prompts - I seem to remember you just had to click in one box to get connected, which then took you to the S/D home page. You can use the internet jsut like at home from that point.

I had trouble because I used my work computer, which was setup a bit different. So I could not get the page to load. I'm very computer-savy, but I was on vacation and had no interest in hacking around to get it to work. So I called the help number they provided (and this was relatively late at night). The person who answered was extremely helpful and knowledgeable (it isn't a Swan/Dolphin employee - I assume they contract out the help desk - but I think he knew I was calling from the Swan.) Anyway, he first asked if it was a computer issued from my job - which he realized would have different settings - he quickly talked me through what to do (less than five minutes) and I was on.

My point is - if it doesn't just work right away, call the number they provide (I think it's right on the device that holds the ethernet cord) and you'll be set up very quickly. High speed internet connection in the hotel for me was worth the $10 resort fee by itself. It was a necessity to keep in touch at work (unfortunately, but it was that or cancel the vacation); it was also interesting to see the weather back home (it was bitterly cold back in Chicago while we were at WDW in December). And the kids enjoyed using IM to stay in touch with their friends over the holidays.

This was a bit longer than I intended - hope it gave you what you needed.

Twigs
01-13-2005, 10:19 AM
ww52, Thank you so much for the help, I think we can do that! :D

dreamflight99
01-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Dreamflight, responding to a person with a question about the Swan Dolphin is certainly fine! In fact, I personally think it's a great thing to do when you are responding to multiple questions in one post.

Since another thread for all of the Swan/Dolphin sorority members has been set up over on the Community Board, we are trying to keep the chitchat off this thread so folks who are really looking for answers to questions can find them without reading through pages of threads without information on the Swan/Dolphin.

Thank you for responding with great answers on the thread. It is appreciated.

KarenKaren~I fully understand the importance of maintaining such order, and appreciate your personal response. I just wished to be clear as to the proper "protocol" for replying to a poster/posters in general, (as there are no specifics mentioned on the FAQ page). :D

I am relieved by your response, and will continue to address individuals using their member name. With so many rules being enforced here lately, I did not wish to "over-step" the boundaries or commit any transgressions! :sad2:

Without appearing facetious, is it permitted to use a smilie wave, or say "hello" to the poster when responding to a particular query? It just seems so impersonal, cold and sterile (antithesis of Walt's philosophy) to respond sans any emotion, when most of us on this forum are familiar with one another. I sincerely apologize, for any misconstrued messages or inconvenience my past posts may have caused.

Your assistance, understanding and consideration is sincerely appreciated. Thank you.

DF99

safetymom
01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Dreamflight, I posted the guidelines as a reminder to everyone. This thread is to be used to answer questions about the Swan and Dolphin.

http://www.disboards.com/faq.php?

If you have a need to have a conversation about the Swan/Dolphin those conversations are best posted on the Community Board. If you need to give one person more details I suggest a PM. I suggest that everyone read the complete guidelines.

If you have any more concerns I suggest you contact a moderator directly and keep it off the Resort boards. Thank you everyone for your understanding. :)

dreamflight99
01-13-2005, 05:04 PM
:blush: Sorry...safetymom :sad2: :worried: :( :sad1:
I understand completely. I did not intend for you to feel/become defensive, as I was in no way insinuating your post was directed at me or my contribution to this thread. :guilty: Again, I apologize for offending anyone with my post/inquiry. The last thing I wish to do, is cause problems or jeopardize the security of such a wonderful and informational thread. It continues to provide so many DISers, with seemingly infinite invaluable information.

I also sincerely apologize for posting as opposed to PM-ing a mod. I have NO IDEA how to use the new PM feature, and am only able to pm persons whom have already pm'd me! I used to see a bar on the bottom of each post, with a PM option, but that has disappeared. Please, pm me with the details of the new feature. Thank you, in advance, for your continued consideration, understanding and assistance.

DF99

safetymom
01-13-2005, 05:08 PM
I didn't feel defensive but wanted to remind everyone of the guidelines.

To send a PM just click on the posters name on the left hand side and you will see the choice to send a PM.

dreamflight99
01-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks...I found it!! :cloud9:

"Have a happy day." :D

DF99

nwdisgal
01-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Okay for all you S/D experts...How do I ask for non-feather pillows at the Swan? Do I list them as hypoallergenic or foam on my special requests?

Also, for anyone who has been there recently, do they still charge a fee for clearning out the mini-bar to use as a refrigerator?

Thanks for your help! :flower:

ddawg
01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Are any of the restaurants in the Swan or Dolphin accepting the DDE card?

TLinden16
01-17-2005, 04:54 AM
You can find a list of resturants that accept the DDE cardhere. (http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneydiningexperience.htm) There are no Swan and Dolphin restaurants on the list.

Karen

KelliR
01-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I am not speaking for ddawg, but I too wondered if any of the Swan/Dolphin restaurants were accepting the DDE card. I know about the list, as a member of DDE I have a acopy of the list. But SOMETIMES, something could be left off, or a restaurant may be a member and not publicized, etc. To me, this would be the place to go to question that.

Rhonda922
01-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Does the Swan charge for parking? We will be staying there in May and will have a rental car that we're picking up from the airport.

thanks.

paras4ri
01-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Parking is free at both the Swan & Dolphin!!

Sometimes we found it easier to drive to certain places, like another resort for dinner. If you're going to the parks or waterparks the bus and boat transportation is wonderful.

KelliR
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
But there is a charge for valet parking. Follow the signs to self parking so you don't have to pay. :earboy2:

madge
01-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Ok it's been a while that I've been away from the boards - however, another cool Swan visit is being planned for me and the sig other's 5 yr anniversary :thewave:

Soooo... my question to all those Swan/Dolphin devotees is if I can use SPG points to gain Club Level access on a non-club level floor.

I seem to remember that last year the Swan had decided to stop doing this - I hope I'm wrong tho :) Love the Breakfast munchies in the Club!

Scoob
Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I have never had a problem gaining access to the CL from another floor, from either the Swan or the Dolphin. Our last visit was in October 2004...not sure if anything's changed on that.

Off to the Commuity Board to see the new Sorority House :)

dreamflight99
01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay for all you S/D experts...How do I ask for non-feather pillows at the Swan? Do I list them as hypoallergenic or foam on my special requests?

Also, for anyone who has been there recently, do they still charge a fee for clearning out the mini-bar to use as a refrigerator?

Thanks for your help! :flower:I would request hypoallergenic, since this is the type of "foam" pillows used by these resorts. Also...there has always been a FEE charged for having ROOM SERVICE (which is the department responsible for these mini-bars) clean-out the contents. BUT, it is also permissible to remove the contents YOURSELF *(@ NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE), and use the fridge! Many people alert the staff by taping a simple note on the exterior of the mini-bar, which states the contents have not been consumed, simply moved *(to a certain place, such as a upper closet shelf). This should not pose a problem. If it does...simply notify the front office for reimbursement. :D

KELLIR~I too, have wondered about the DDE...(since I have PAP's, I just may buy one and try it!), being accepted at the Dolphin. I will have to inquire, and get back on here with the info. It would be like the old MKC discount they would offer...(20% off at Tubbi's, etc). Those were the days. :rolleyes:

[b]Scoob[b]~Just as Madge posted, I have never experienced any problems obtaining CL privs from another floor/room at the Dolphin/Swan. They do not "encourage" such reservations, but will work to accommodate your needs/desires with respect to the CL lounge. :cloud9:

wonderlandaddict
01-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Does either hotel have ceiling fans? Does anyone know if they offered any nurse discounts for Jan? How many beds and what are the sizes for the suites? We visited dolphin last week & would love to stay there next Jan! :wizard:

dreamflight99
01-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Does either hotel have ceiling fans? Does anyone know if they offered any nurse discounts for Jan? How many beds and what are the sizes for the suites? We visited dolphin last week & would love to stay there next Jan! :wizard:No ceiling fans, but you can bring a fan if you wish. I believe the discounts are offered year-round, based upon availability. Suites range in size from a Junior, Executive to Presidential. The beds in a Junior suite, depends upon the configuration. Some have a King, and a queen murphy. Others have two doubles, and a king murphy. Many have a murphy, a king and a sofa sleeper. You should call reservations for more specific details. It is a beautiful property! :cloud9:

nwdisgal
01-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Dreamflight99 - thanks for answering my question about the pillows and the refrig. :D

I have another question.. do the regular Swan King Rooms have a sofa with a pull out bed in them? I made a Club Level reservation for a Swan Queen/Queen for 2 adults, 2 kids. When I went to check the reservation on-line at Starwood, it had been changed to a King Bed.

Also, I read on this board about a spa being built at Dolphin. When is that supposed to be completed?

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Hieatt
01-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Came across this article on another thread: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050118/185595_1.html

Spa scheduled to be open by this summer!

nwdisgal
01-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Darn... will miss the spa opening this time, but there's always next year.

Thanks for the link!

matt2525
01-20-2005, 05:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can find out information about Camp Dolphin? Is there a website anywhere that provides full details (ie when it is open, what it provides, supervision, prices etc etc).

If not can anyone tell me their recent experiences of it?. I'm trying to decide if our kids (5&7) would enjoy going there if we were to book to go out for a meal or two on our own during our stay at the Dolphin.

KelliR
01-20-2005, 07:22 AM
My DD7 loves Camp Dolphin. She wants to go there every trip, and has been doing so for the last 2-3 years. Some trips, she goes more than once.

The staff is very kind and caring. The door stays locked so no one can enter/leave without the staff (2 people) knowing. I believe there is a limit of about 12 children. Dinner is provided - they take the kids to Tubby's or the Fountain. They can do crafts, usually a couple different crafts every evening, plenty of markers and paper too, play video games, and watch movies on the big screen TV. There is a bathroom in the facility which is located right next to the work-out place (near the exit to the pool in the Dolphin). They take the kids to the arcade (which is just down the hall).

They seem to have it all down to a science and try to follow a schedule when they go to eat and the arcade, but the kids play and do what activities they choose in the club. There are pillows and blankets to take a nap if the kids stay late. I believe the hours it is open are 5:30 to midnight and the child must be potty trained.

Hope this helps you decide. The woman and the young man that are there most often are so good with the kids. MY DD loves them. :love:

dreamflight99
01-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Came across this article on another thread: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050118/185595_1.html

Spa scheduled to be open by this summer!GREAT LINK!! I'll be there with BELLS-ON to celebrate and partake of the offerings this summer! I heard it would be operating by mid-2005 (from JAMES at the front desk), but you never know with such construction, etc. Thanks again, for the WONDERFUL NEWS!! :love:

nwdisgal~Anything I can offer to assist in your planning/stay at the Dolphin/Swan is my pleasure! :goodvibes As for your other question, I'm not completely sure of the answer (since the renovation took place). Perhaps someone else can offer assistance or insight with this query?

matt2525~Just as Kelli posted, my own DD LOVED Camp Dolphin when she was much younger. She never wanted to leave, when the time came to go back to the suite! :love: On one occasion, characters had "stopped" by for an impromptu visit, and the kids were so excited! DD also enjoyed the soft blankets *(sleeping bags too) with pillows used for watching the movies. The staff, as Kelli attested, are remarkable with children of all ages. We always felt so comfortable leaving DD in their care. We would dine at Palo's, or another nearby location (ie: yachtsman steakhouse, flying fish), and never had any qualms about DD's safety, etc. I know if you dine in Shula's steakhouse, they pay for the initial 2-hours of care in this facility!

I don't know if you have these links, bit they may provide information you are seeking:

*http://www.swandolphin.com/play/campdolphin.html
*http://www.familytravelguides.com/articles/southeaststates/Orlando/dolfswan.html
*http://www.************travel.com/disneyworld/beyond/child_care.htm

Hope this helps!! :goodvibes

Sister Spooky
01-25-2005, 05:01 PM
My family and I are planning on going to WDW at the end of March/first week of April. In 2001, we stayed at the Dolphin with the teacher rate. Am I to understand that they no longer have this rate?

KelliR
01-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Yes, as DF99 mentioned, the first 2 hours are free at Camp Dolphin if you are dining at the Blue Zoo ... as well as Shula's.

dreamflight99
01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Yes, as DF99 mentioned, the first 2 hours are free at Camp Dolphin if you are dining at the Blue Zoo ... as well as Shula's. :wave2: Thanks, Kelli (^_^) for pointing this out!! Since we no longer need childcare, we were unaware the BLUE ZOO was included in this perk! Both are fab restaurants, worth visiting. But, if you're in the mood for a perfect steak, Shula's is the place to go!! ;)

Sister Spooky~They DEFINITELY have the teacher's :teacher: rate~! Just call and check to see if it's available during the time you wish to visit. Also, there are sometimes *(not often) promotions or other rates which may be comparable or even better than this rate. When you call, ask about ALL other rates and promo's (as these are not openly "offered" by reservation associates). :D Good Luck with your planning!

:wave2: DF99

DVC California
01-30-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm trying to find out if S/D guests are also eligible for the Extra Magic Hours in the parks. I tried doing a search but couldn't a match. :confused3

Thanks in adavnce, Steve :worship:

#1hockeymom
01-30-2005, 07:42 PM
YES! Swan and Dolphin guests can participate in both the early magic hours, and the late night hours!

Debbie

Scoob
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but I have never had a problem gaining access to the CL from another floor, from either the Swan or the Dolphin. Our last visit was in October 2004...not sure if anything's changed on that.

Do you remember what the point rate deducted was? We're looking at a 4-5 night stay... but I wanted to be sure I'll have the points to cover it....

Thanks!

Scoob

Mouseteacher
01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Scoob~There have been conflicting info on the # of points needed. Some people have been charged 1000 points per night and others 1500. The S/D seems to be a little schizophrenic when it comes to points! :goodvibes

Kenswing
01-31-2005, 07:40 PM
We will be staying at the Dolphin from 12/5 - 12/15. We have reserved a Resort view w/Balcony room. I have an SPG card. I understand that the Dolphin often upgrades people with an SPG card to a better room. This would mean a Concierge (Club Level) room.
As you can see, we will be there for 10 nights. We have no kids, so, I anticipate plenty of time relaxing at the resort. The reason that I reserved the resort view w/ balcony was because it would afford us the opportunity to sit out on the balcony and read/relax/people watch, and maybe see some evening fireworks. We plan to relax on this trip.
So, finally to my question. If offered, should I take the upgrade to Club Level? I understand that we would save money by eating in the lounge. But my main concern would be the view and the lack of balconies in the Club Level rooms.

Any thoughts?

ozziewags
01-31-2005, 07:56 PM
That is a good question. I like both rooms, but last fall my dh and I stayed in a 9th floor corner King turret room. Great view and two balconies, windows out two sides. We loved it. You might even get club level privs AND a balcony room if you ask nicely! ;)

FLORIDAFUNFAMILY
01-31-2005, 10:26 PM
i just got back and did just that 9th floor balcony east wing with club level access, 1000 spg points per night. Awesome view, great stay, Have fun. :cool1:

dreamflight99
01-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Kenswing~As many people here have posted, you may access the CL lounge, from a balcony room. ;) I too, prefer the views from the far wings (both east/west), over the CL rooms on the 12-14 floors.

ozziewags~The "Turret" room was the first room we ever stayed in at the Dolphin, (on the 9th floor) and our favorite! The "secret" balcony which permits you to relax under the covered roof and enjoy the fireworks or afternoon rain, is the best! :cloud9:

FLORIDAFUNFAMILY~My preferred view is from the top floor of the far east wing, as you recently enjoyed. CL for the 1000 SPG points is an incredible perk!! Are you planning a return? :goodvibes

Kenswing
02-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone... :wave:

luvmarypoppins
02-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Good morning all from a two visit swan loving family. I do have 2 questions that maybe someone can help me with, its about starwood points. We currently have chosen the airline mile option that we get 500 per stay for. If I switch to the points instead will that take a long time to process? Can someone clue me in on if we stay 9 nights what points would we accrue? What is the redemption level etc? My other question is my dh is going to a convention at the swan in december. Part of the convention package is the room. The whole price is paid directly to a company sponsoring the event, so would my husband still get any points for that stay? Thanks so much!!

NancyIL
02-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Good morning all from a two visit swan loving family. I do have 2 questions that maybe someone can help me with, its about starwood points. We currently have chosen the airline mile option that we get 500 per stay for. If I switch to the points instead will that take a long time to process? Can someone clue me in on if we stay 9 nights what points would we accrue? What is the redemption level etc? My other question is my dh is going to a convention at the swan in december. Part of the convention package is the room. The whole price is paid directly to a company sponsoring the event, so would my husband still get any points for that stay? Thanks so much!!

Entry level Starwood members earn 2 Starwood points per dollar spent, and those points can be exchanged on a 1:1 basis with most major airlines. For 9 nights, you're definitely better off with the points option. If you prefer free nights, those start at 2,000 points per night. You can check all the rewards here: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/starpoints/redeem_landing.html I doubt it would take long to process the change, and it may be possible to do that online by checking your profile at www.spg.com :)

As for earning Starwood points for convention rates, I don't know the answer.

madge
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
We will be staying at the Dolphin from 12/5 - 12/15. We have reserved a Resort view w/Balcony room. I have an SPG card. I understand that the Dolphin often upgrades people with an SPG card to a better room. This would mean a Concierge (Club Level) room.
As you can see, we will be there for 10 nights. We have no kids, so, I anticipate plenty of time relaxing at the resort. The reason that I reserved the resort view w/ balcony was because it would afford us the opportunity to sit out on the balcony and read/relax/people watch, and maybe see some evening fireworks. We plan to relax on this trip.
So, finally to my question. If offered, should I take the upgrade to Club Level? I understand that we would save money by eating in the lounge. But my main concern would be the view and the lack of balconies in the Club Level rooms.

Any thoughts?

I'd ask to keep my balcony and have access to the CL floor. That's what we have always done, with the exception of a trip last year to the Swan. We were actually on the Club Level floor then. My kids wanted a change of pace, LOL

madge
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Scoob~There have been conflicting info on the # of points needed. Some people have been charged 1000 points per night and others 1500. The S/D seems to be a little schizophrenic when it comes to points! :goodvibes

I've always, always, always been charged 1000 points per night, isn't it odd how it's never the same rate twice? LOL....

opal
02-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm trying to book a room on the SPG site for Jan '06. When I hit reserve this room for the room selection I want (non-smoking, 2 queen beds), the next screen, the one where you enter your credit card info, shows the room as "no preference for smoking and type of bed. Does anyone know if I enter my "preferences" in the request area, will I have a problem later on? It is a decent rate, lower than I paid this January, so I would hate to lose it.