PDA

View Full Version : SHADES OF GREEN all the way!!!!!!

micmacmissy
11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
This is an easy one...stay onsite, and stay at Shades of Green over any other hotel.

Reasons why:
1) SOG is considered a deluxe hotel, it will be WAY nicer than the values, and probably just as cheap!

2) SOG is newly renovated and is beautiful. It gets very high praise from everyone who has been there.

3) It is easy to get around from SOG. You're close to the Poly and can hop on the monorail there, or use the bus service.

You can't beat it!

micmacmissy
11-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Sorry....I meant to add this as a reply to another post and accidentally started a thread! Apologies--trying to figure out how to delete!

llij
11-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Glad to hear that you like Shades of Green! It is a nice benefit for Military and Department of Defense personnel!

We will be there in 3 weeks!!

:sunny:

HollyJoy
11-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Thrilling to hear such wonderful comments about SOG! Cant' wait for our trip !! Wow! We're almost in the teens!

FirstNo
11-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by micmacmissy
This is an easy one...stay onsite, and stay at Shades of Green over any other hotel.

Reasons why:
1) SOG is considered a deluxe hotel, it will be WAY nicer than the values, and probably just as cheap!

2) SOG is newly renovated and is beautiful. It gets very high praise from everyone who has been there.

3) It is easy to get around from SOG. You're close to the Poly and can hop on the monorail there, or use the bus service.

You can't beat it!

I have to chime in..... while I agree that I would take SoG over any value resort any day of the week, it is not just as cheap. SoG is not a "one price for all" hotel. The rates are based on rank and the number of adults in the party. There will be times when even the Disney moderates would be cheaper to stay at than SoG.

SoG has its plusses but for some one, or a family, or a group that is looking for that "Disney feeling", SoG does not have it (for those who don't know me, I not only stayed at SoG frequently as a guest, but worked there a little over 3yrs in the rsv dept).

As with any place, it all depends on your likes and dislikes, your money situation and what you're looking for and willing to put up with. Obviously, SoG fits the bill for those who want to go to DW and money is tight. To this day, I'm thankful SoG was there, otherwise, there is no way I'd ever have been able to go to DW and stay for 12 consecutive nights almost every year I served my country. It definitely serves its purpose, however if all things were equal, I'd take a Disney deluxe or home-away-from-home resort over SoG any day. But, that's just me. :)

bdcp
11-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Our first trip to WDW we stayed in Caribbean Beach in 1989, when it was brand new. In 1998 we stayed at SOG (with 12 and 14 yr olds) and will be staying there again next fall. It is a much better value overall than the onsite disney owned resorts. Other deluxe resorts, and SOG is considered deluxe, costs 4 times as much. The rooms are large and even in 1998 before the renovation, were extremely well kept. Yes, you might be able to stay in CB or one of the other moderately priced resorts for the same or cheaper, but those rooms are smaller. SOG rooms are large and have 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. We didn't feel we missed any of the "disney" feeling while staying there. SOG is smaller than the moderately priced resorts in terms of people on site and it's very convenient to the TTC. We walked over and back most of the time. My brother in law and his children were there a couple of months ago after the renovation and they loved it. A lot of larger military families who couldn't afford to stay in a larger room elsewhere can do it here or even get two rooms for less than the other resorts. We just couldnt' justify spending $400 a night at GF when you're hardly in your rooms anyway, so we'll be spending like $115 and using the difference for the rest of the trip.

Judy from Boise
11-13-2004, 11:08 AM
we like SOG too, I guess i just have a slightly different philosophy,,,,,while others love to be surrounded by the "magic" 24/7, I like a chance to cleanse my palate. I think I enjoy that moment I walk into a park each day just a bit more because i haven't diluted the impact by day 3 0r 4. I feel the same way about the Swalphin !

GJM
11-13-2004, 02:41 PM
We also love SOG. I also do not need "the Disney Magic" 24/7, I enjoy coming back to the hotel, I find it very quiet & peaceful, even the pool area last time didn't seem that crowded. I love the size of the rooms & the frig. We have stayed off site & at a Moderate, but I really love SOG.

WDWDennis
11-13-2004, 03:22 PM
The Disney busses go to SOG?? I don't think I've ever noticed a Shades bus or even a depot at any of the parks. Its funny, I've never even seen the place and I've been all over the world!! If busses do run there, maybe I'll take a tour on my next visit!

Do they give discounts to firefighters??

dandave
11-13-2004, 04:38 PM
I love SOG, too! I stayed there once before the rehab, and we stayed there in May and Oct/Nov of this year.
I love the busses and knowing just when they will arrive. "We can shop for 10 more minutes. The bus will be here at 4:30." There is no waiting around, wondering when the bus will arrive. With military precision, the bus is where it is supposed to be, when it is supposed to be.
I love the rooms. We stayed in a regular room in May and in a King Suite for our last trip. The furnishings are well kept and modern. The rooms are very spacious.
I love the resort. The grounds are quiet and beautiful. The pools and hot tub are clean and uncrowded. You can watch the MK fireworks from some areas. Evergreens has one of the best BBQ sandwiches I have ever eaten, but don't forget to ask for hot sauce on the side. ;)
I love the fellow guests. I am a woman. I have never been around more "gentlemanly" gentlemen. I had not one but three different gentlemen try to assist me with my luggage last trip. I had opted out of breakfast, while DH and DSons went to eat. I was bored, so I decided to save a bit of time by taking two bags to our car myself. Three gentlemen tried to help me. One insisted upon following me to open a door, then preceeded to follow me to the elevator just to push the button for me. Two others offered to help, but I declined. There are many more instances, but you get the idea.
I love the price! I do not feel as though I could match SOG, without paying for a WDW deluxe resort. Sorry, but I don't think the values or moderates could touch it.
All this is JMHO, of course. To each his/her own cup of tea. Happy vacation wherever you choose to rest your head! :D

bdcp
11-13-2004, 05:52 PM
The buses that run from SOG are privately contracted. They are not Disney buses. There are two bus routes. One to catch the disney buses or monorail at the TTC and the other to the water parks and MGM and AK. Our experience in 1998 was that they were on time all the time. You can also walk the very short distance to TTC and catch the bus or monorail from there. SOG sits directly across the street from the Polynesian and it's an easy walk. It's a very relaxing place to stay and everyone, staff and guests, are extremely friendly.

FirstNo
11-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by WDWDennis
The Disney busses go to SOG?? I don't think I've ever noticed a Shades bus or even a depot at any of the parks. Its funny, I've never even seen the place and I've been all over the world!! If busses do run there, maybe I'll take a tour on my next visit!

Do they give discounts to firefighters??

No, Disney buses do not run to SoG. SoG has their own buses.

You can go to the Poly and walk over to SoG if you want to take a visit or, if you drive, you can try driving over.

Only if you're a firefighter employed by the millitary/DoD do you receive a discount. :)

TSirgey
11-22-2004, 12:13 PM
I am so glad to hear such positive comments about SOG. We are staying there for the first time in April. We stayed offsite this year and were not pleased with the accomodations. We will not skimp again!

Tigge50447
11-22-2004, 02:34 PM
this is from the above post:

"I have to chime in..... while I agree that I would take SoG over any value resort any day of the week, it is not just as cheap. SoG is not a "one price for all" hotel. The rates are based on rank and the number of adults in the party. There will be times when even the Disney moderates would be cheaper to stay at than SoG."

We reserved 2 rooms one for myself, my Boyfriend and my son. the other for my parents and they where the same price.

The nice thing about SOG is if you are lower ranked it's cheaper.

I do have a question. We reserved 2 room and would like them next to each other or across the hall from each since my parents will be watching my son one of the night. I "requested" it when I made the reservation I know it's not guarenteed but should I call a few days before or fax them my request?

Harligirl
11-22-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Tigge50447

I do have a question. We reserved 2 room and would like them next to each other or across the hall from each since my parents will be watching my son one of the night. I "requested" it when I made the reservation I know it's not guarenteed but should I call a few days before or fax them my request?

Hi

You could call them and ask if you requested connecting rooms...just play dumb like you couldn't remember if you did:crazy: :crazy: They are usually pretty good about that :sunny:

Have fun:wave:
Lisa

3gr8kids
11-22-2004, 06:52 PM
My family and I also love SoG. We've stayed there (before the renovation) and couldn't believe how much bigger the rooms are than at the other Disney properties. We are going back again in March YAAHHOOOO and can't wait to stay in the new SoG! I, too, love how polite/courteous everyone is (pretty much everywhere in Disney) but at SoG I think it goes a step beyond. I really felt like we were treated as family by staff and other guests, whereas when we stayed at CBR we found many of the other guests very rude to us and one another.

FirstNo
11-23-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Tigge50447
this is from the above post:

<snip>

As someone who worked in resv for them, I highly suggest you fax your request to the front desk a day or two prior to your arrival.

Reservations has NOTHING to do with room assignments; that's done by the front desk manager or supervisor. If you call resvs, all you'll be doing is waiting on the phone for a while for nothing. We could type all sorts of notes on resvs for the front desk to read (i.e. This guest is a little testy...be careful! or This guest is handicapped and needs "x" for the room), but we could not guarantee what we typed was read. :)