PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me I made the right choice!! Changed from ASMU to POR!!

kathy carleton
11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
OK!! I am looking to all of my Dis friends to tell me I did the right thing!! Decided to make 3rd trip this year before AP passes expired for Thanksgiving week... was going to stay cheap and have a true budget trip! (have stayed at most of the deluxe resorts and CSR as a mod).... many of you know what a "savings" those AP passes give us! (we just keep squeezing in one more trip!)...

I originally booked ASMU For $49 (great price), but have worried and worried that the value route was not for me... so have been calling trying to get POP (thought i would like it better), but have been told that the holiday week was totally sold out... well, CRO tells me a few minutes ago that she now has POR for $79... I who have a terrible time making up my mind had to decide on the spot, knowing that it was a fluke of nature that anything was coming up for that week..... I know that $230 is not a lot of money difference for a week, but it sure helps towards those meals and Christmas presents.
Tell me I made the right decision by spending that extra couple hundred dollars and why!!! Tell me why I will love POR!!

Mortlives
11-11-2004, 01:45 PM
You will love POR because of its beautiful landscaping, pool slide, hot tub, marina, boat to DTD, sit-down restaurant and lounge, ribs (unless you're vegetarian, try the ribs), extra space in the rooms, etc.

It's my favourite of the resorts we've been to so far.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

jonemick
11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Take the nice leisurely boat trip from POR to DTD and do some Christmas shopping then come back on the boat, if that doesn't convince you that POR is the best Disney resort outside of a deluxe then you won't be convinced. By the way you may want to request a room that has been renovated already.

WDWDennis
11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
You DID make the right decision!! Why?? B/c IMHO POR is far superior to ASM!! Everything from the themeing to the pools and the grounds, to the rooms and the food court. Not that ASM is a bad place. I just prefer POR in every aspect!!

Enjoy your 3rd trip!! :sunny:

Carrie772
11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
You definately made the right choice. IMHO, you could never stay off property at any decent hotel for that price. And the POR is beautiful! I love the moderates. Just bring some pop tarts, a cooler for milk and juice and now you have justified the extra money for the resort! That saves at least $30 for b'fast...and you also get a quick start to the parks.

HillPete
11-11-2004, 01:48 PM
IMHO, the serenity of POR alone is worth the $$. I have often considered staying at a value and then I read a post about noisy cheerleaders or paper-thin walls or crowded food courts and I say to myself; "Aren't you glad you're going to Port Orleans? No loud school groups, enough room at the 6 pools for everyone and plenty of space for all the buildings to spread out!"

I say you made a great decision and I wish I was going with you.

--Hillpete

PS - We last stayed in rm 2709 and it was dang-near perfect. Have a great trip!!!!!!

Minnie&Nana
11-11-2004, 01:52 PM
I totally understand what you're going through because I did the exact same thing - only I booked the POP then decided I wanted to upgrade so got POFQ (all newly renovated) for $79...after much hemming and hawing (sp?) I kept thinking about the money I would have saved at the POP for $49 - except the POP was no longer available. I called often (actually got a couple of cm's more than once). Finally, I decided to ask what nights were available at the POP and would build on what I could get. The CM I asked to do this was somehow able to begin at the end, find 2 nights, then 2 nights, then one night and another night until she had all 6 for the $49! I was thrilled..within hours I wondered if I'd made the right choice (like you I do things without thinking it out first)..kept thnking POFQ would have been so pretty and quiet..but now I've requested a Lake view at POP and will be fine.

Long story to say that I would not stay at All Stars no matter what. I like the mods and deluxes, but did stay at POP once and with a lake view, 50's section it was fine. You might keep trying for the POP and build it day by day, if possible.

I understand your dilemna, but you'll be much happier at POR than AS!
As others have stated - POR is pretty, has the boat etc. I'd only go for the $ savings if you can get POP.

Have a magical trip!!

Minnie&Nana
11-11-2004, 01:59 PM
oops

palmtreegirl
11-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Good move!::yes:: The POR is a lovely resort.

***tink386
11-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Let me know how it goes. We also changed our reservation from Pop to POR. We can't wait!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Tigger&Belle
11-11-2004, 04:17 PM
BaciBecky, you said in another thread that you're going the same time we are. The last couple nights of our trip we're staying at Pop (12/12-14). I'll make sure that we're on the lookout for you. I also requested a lake view room so it will hopefully be a little quieter than our Foosball room that we had in February.

The other nights are at POR (1st time) and then an offsite timeshare (can't beat the price...free).

T&B

Minnie&Nana
11-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Tigger&Belle ~

I hope it won't be too much of a let down to go from POR to POP!
Don't have anything Lime green, but hope we run into one another :)
Have you stayed at POP before?

lovmy2girls
11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I think you made the right choice. We are having the same problem about budget and trying to squeeze the most out of our AP's. I have stayed at PO riverside and loved it . Have a great trip.

kathy carleton
11-11-2004, 07:55 PM
keep up the encouragement! I was so determined to stay at a value resort! But when cm said she had POR, I just grabbed it . I feel bad that I got out of my original plan to stay as cheap as possible (after all, is our 3rd trip this year, and in the fall, don't use the pool). But i kept reading reports on these boards about how noisy the all stars were........ Should i just stay with POR and know it is the right choice, or keep trying for POP? is there that much difference in All stars and Pop?? I told my husb. that i wanted to be a girl who "took it as it comes, and likes Motel 6" and he said we did not have enough time to work through that concept!!! (I admit I am a princess in wants, just not budget!)...

what do you think? I requested AB building 14 or 15.........

Minnie&Nana
11-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Not all of the AB buildings have been renovated and they are in need now, so you might want to take that into consideration in your location request. It sounds like you really want to stay at POR so go for it!

If you'll feel better to keep trying for POP you can do that too -then if you don't get it you'll feel fine when you check into POR :)

As far as noise, honestly, I had absolutely no noise at POP and we had an Illuminations view! As people of the POP faqs thread have said, it does depend on locations there - 1st fl is not good or preferred location as it is near the main pool. But much of 50's and 70's have lake views and very quiet. Very short walk to the bus and food court. But it is not a pretty resort - by the lake maybe - so if you really want POR just keep that reservation and enjoy!!! :) :)

Tigger&Belle
11-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by BaciBecky
Tigger&Belle ~

I hope it won't be too much of a let down to go from POR to POP!
Don't have anything Lime green, but hope we run into one another :)
Have you stayed at POP before?

We've stayed at all classes of resorts and I never been disappointed by any of them. I usually like to stay at the lower class resort first and then hop to a nicer resort, but it's not turning out that way this time.

I'll be back to Pop in January with one of my other sons and then on to POFQ (I love resort hopping!).

We (me with my 4yo and my sister) stayed at Pop in February. For the $ we liked it a lot. The key is expecting a value resort, not a moderate or deluxe. We have an AP rate and I can't beat $49/night.

You at least need lime green ribbons!

T&B

kaguilbeau
11-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Some of us enjoy doing that - planning and then second-guessing ourselves. You'll be just fine at POR - consider yourself lucky that they had an AP rate available for your!

Put your reservation aside and out of your mind - and find something else to stress about - - - -like which PS to make!!

We are staying at POR 25th thru 12/1 (have previously stayed at POFQ and Fort Wilderness in camper). This will be such a treat for us!!

Enjoy your trip.

Minnie&Nana
11-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Tigger&Belle
The key is expecting a value resort, not a moderate or deluxe. We have an AP rate and I can't beat $49/night.
You at least need lime green ribbons!T&B

I agree completely!! That IS the secret and the way not to feel elt down. I enjoyed the POP - just had to get in the right mind frame. This time I am looking forward to my stay (and sharing it with a friend I paid $164 for 6 nights - who can complain!!!).

It'll be busy days with so much going on...but I will take time to walk around the lake.

Okay, I'll see if I can find lime green ribbon and pin it on my coat -will that work?? :) :) OH!! I just remembered - I have a DIS pin they sent me!! Would that be too much of a statement?? I'm kind of shy ;)

:wave:

Tigger&Belle
11-11-2004, 09:06 PM

Okay, I'll see if I can find lime green ribbon and pin it on my coat -will that work?? :) :) OH!! I just remembered - I have a DIS pin they sent me!! Would that be too much of a statement?? I'm kind of shy ;)

There's no place for shyness on the DIS! I did have a bit of shyness and didn't meet a fellow DISer in Feb (Hi Catherines_Mama :wave2: ) when I thought I saw some lime green walk by one morning. Decided never to make that mistake again! Of course I might make a fool out of myself asking people if they are DISers, but that's ok. What better place to be a fool??? :teeth:

T&B

Minnie&Nana
11-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Okat, T&B - I'll be looking for Lime green esp. from the 12-14 at the POP and will say hello -of course, you'll have your hat too, yes? :) Now I should be able to recgonze the two together!!

I think I might wear a lime ribbon..don;t know if I can go as far as the DIS pin! :o

See ya there!!!::yes::

Tigger&Belle
11-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Hmmm, what hat? I haven't had my coffee yet...am I missing something. LOL

T&B

Minnie&Nana
11-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Hmmm, what hat? I haven't had my coffee yet...am I missing something. LOL

T&B

LOL - I thought I read on another thread you'd be wearing a santa hat, but maybe I'm confused :confused: - wouldn't be the first time and sure won't be the last!
Oops!! :o
Mickey Ears, maybe????

Tigger&Belle
11-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Oh, I do have some antlers stuck back that I'm going to bring. Still need to buy the santa hat and I need to be on the lookoout for other silly things to wear. LOL I was wondering if I was supposed to have a lime green hat, which I did look for before my last visit. More than likely I'll be wearing my Tower of Terror visor.

If I'm with my sister you *really* can't miss us--basically 4 generations (my sister is old enough to be my mother but I don't think she is....;) ) of happy, excited noise (my mom probably wouldn't be noisy--she'll just watch the rest of us with amusement).

T&B

Minnie&Nana
11-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Your mom is going for the first time at 81! What a sweetheart! Is she excited? Did you have to talk her into it or was it her idea?

This is so dear!! I really do hope I see you all. Maybe I'll have to carry a bell and walk through POP calling out for Tigger&Belle Dis board member;)

I hope your trip is truly magical!

Tigger&Belle
11-12-2004, 03:06 PM
My mom is way excited! We're staying at her timeshare for a week and my sister just reserved Pop Century for 12/12-14, also so that adds a couple days to their stay. They might come down a couple days before the timeshare ressies, too (my mom lives in Oregon, but is flying to see my sister in the panhandle of FL before they drive to Orlando).

I don't know why I'd never thought to bring my mom to WDW. It really never occured to me, but she jumped at the chance when I mentioned it to her (and of course I then felt guilty for not thinking if it before). All I can do is make this trip wonderful and special, not look back at what I didn't do. :D

Yes, make sure you look for us!

T&B

RescueRanger
11-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Okay...I guess I will be the lone dissenter. I did not like POR. The rooms were ok but the restroom seemed even smaller than in the values. What I really didn't like about POR was that it was way too spread out. It was a long walk to everything and the busses didn't seem to be as efficient as other resorts. It was very pretty as others have stated but I would take a value over POR anyday. Just my opinion. I hope you get a building close to everthing and the distances are not too long for you. Sending pixie dust your way.

Tigger&Belle
11-12-2004, 05:16 PM
I haven't stayed at POR so can't say from personal experience, but a friend of mine stayed there recently and did comment on the very small bathroom. It was a problem for them because they were a family of 5 and had to use the bathroom to change clothes in and it wasn't large enough to easily do that. Also, there wasn't the curtain between the sink area and the rest of the room--don't know if it was a refurbished room or not and if not, don't know if the curtains are being put in the room when refurbished.

T&B

bavaria
11-13-2004, 12:34 PM
Don't worry, you made the right choice. I am still trying to change from AS Mu to POR (really just so that I can run into Tigger&Belle :teeth: especially now that I know what she will be wearing!)

Seriously, it is totally worth it. My 1st trip to WDW in 1994 I stayed in DTD, but took the boat over to POR and it was the highlight of my trip!

There just is no comparison bwn a value and POR. Yes, it's big, but enjoy the walk, or you could always take a bus around. My new favourite rooms are in AB, used to love the Mansions.

No, there is no curtain separating the sink area like at CBR in any of the rooms, and I can't comment on the size for 4-5 ppl since I am never more than 2 in a room. But I do think that it is just as large in the bathroom area as AS Mu.

There is just so much to see and do here, and I enjoy it in winter when CBR just seems too bare and sunny. POR puts me more into the holiday mood.....

Now please send some pixie dust my way too please so that I can move resorts!!!

Tigger&Belle
11-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Bavaria...Sprinkling pixie dust!!!

I can't believe that this trip is almost here. I'm going a little crazy (ok, I'm normally a little crazy) because I want to plan my days, make priority seatings, etc, but am waiting to find out what day my mom and sister are joining us.

They did extend their stay by stay a couple of days (we'll be staying at Pop Century 12/12-14) and I'm hoping they'll come a couple days before the original meeting date of 12/5 (we have a timeshare for a week and we're building the rest trip around that). My birthday is 12/4 so I do have some leverage in getting my way. Just kidding--in my family it's traditional to act like you've forgotten someones birthday. :teeth: And I have been known to really forget birthdays before, so it would serve me right if they forgot mine. LOL

I hope to spot a lot of you at WDW. I need to write down who is going to be there, when and where so I'll know when, where, and who to look for.

T&B

Minnie&Nana
11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
T&B..I know!! Wear a LIME BIRTHDAY pin!! Then it will be easy for us to see you!! :) :) :)

Tigger&Belle
11-13-2004, 01:24 PM
T&B..I know!! Wear a LIME BIRTHDAY pin!! Then it will be easy for us to see you!! :) :) :)

Great idea!!! ;) I don't mind tooting my own horn. BTW, I used to be quite a shy person, but do plan to get the birthday pin from WDW (gee, wonder if it is lime green...) and, especially if my sister is with me, I will draw attention to myself. Did you read the thread about my experience at Pleasure Island? ;)

T&B

kathy carleton
11-13-2004, 03:08 PM
back to my original topic.......... but i kept calling and trying to change to ASMO or POP and when nothing had been available, suddenly POR and POFQ were available!! Those of you who have encouraged me have made me feel better about my choice!!!

reedycreek
11-14-2004, 10:34 AM
good choice, we loved it there. very very pretty, nice renovated rooms, good food. we'd definitely stay there again soon.

Disney5Mom
11-14-2004, 01:34 PM
We have stayed at both AllStarMusic and Port Orleans Riverside and we loved POR. Felt it was well worth a few dollars more. The atmosphere,scenery, both the quiet pool and theme pool are great,and of course the hot tub. We took the boat to Downtown one night..very nice. Enjoy your trip. We preferred it to the Dolphin which is a deluxe.

c&m
11-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Disney5Mom:

That is sooo nice to hear. DH and I stayed at the Dolphin in 2001 and in March 05, we'll be staying at the POR bringing our 2 DDs along. I was ever so hesitant to go back to a moderate after living it up at a deluxe...but our budget demands it since there are now 4 of us. But what you said is reassuring. Which area did you stay in...AB or the mansions?

Disney5Mom
11-15-2004, 02:52 AM
We had requested the Mansions but wound up staying in AB. The AB area has very beautiful landscaping and we saw lots of bunnies and ducks.

Tigger&Belle
11-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by c&m
Disney5Mom:

That is sooo nice to hear. DH and I stayed at the Dolphin in 2001 and in March 05, we'll be staying at the POR bringing our 2 DDs along. I was ever so hesitant to go back to a moderate after living it up at a deluxe...but our budget demands it since there are now 4 of us. But what you said is reassuring. Which area did you stay in...AB or the mansions?

c&m,

The first WDW properites that we stayed at were Poly (twice, our whole family--5-6 of us, depending on which year), AKL, Swan, Hard Rock Hotel (I know, at Universal, but a nice hotel), Swan (all of us for these resorts), then my DH and then toddler son stayed at CR, WL, and one night at a moderate (CSR).

The only thing that really bothered me about the moderate after staying at so many deluxes was the setup of the resorts and the extra walking we had to do to get to the main building. Of course that can vary based on a few variables, so is not always a longer walk.

I've since stayed at Pop Century and CBR (and one more visit to WL), with upcoming stays at POR and POFQ.

My WDW has never been less at a value or moderate as long as you don't go into the stay expecting a deluxe. IE, don't eat an apple expecting it to taste like an orange,especially when that apple was on sale and cost quite a bit less than the orange. ;)

T&B

bavaria
11-16-2004, 12:28 PM
T&B thank you for the pixie dust - it worked!!!

I was worried that I may have to cancel my trip (for a great reason) but heard yesterday that it will probably go ahead.

And today I called 3 times and finally got POR for 12/4-12/6!!!! So I cxled my AS Mu and requested my favourite room in AB......

Can't wait!

:Pinkbounc

liliagm
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM
I haven't stayed at POR so can't say from personal experience, but a friend of mine stayed there recently and did comment on the very small bathroom. It was a problem for them because they were a family of 5 and had to use the bathroom to change clothes in and it wasn't large enough to easily do that. Also, there wasn't the curtain between the sink area and the rest of the room--don't know if it was a refurbished room or not and if not, don't know if the curtains are being put in the room when refurbished.

T&B

We stayed last month at POR in one of the Mansions (Parterre Place) and there was a curtain between the room and sink area so maybe your friend stayed at one room that had not been renovated yet, our room had been renovated already so I guess they are adding the curtains as they renovate....