PDA

View Full Version : sunrise safari

carbur
11-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Me and my family are thinking about doing the sunrise safari. is there a age limit like at the sunset safari. thats all I want to know

penel3
11-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I don't believe their is an age limit. We have ressie's for January 11, with our 4 year old. No issue was made regarding his age, nor have I heard any age issue in any of the articles I've read. The sunrise safari is only about 45 minutes in length, then the yummy buffet breakfast, so I think it is totally appropriate for young kids!!

ducklite
11-10-2004, 06:15 PM
I've taken this twice. The first time was totally ruined by young kids with idiot parents who either didn't think of how their children would handle this experience, or didn't take steps to keep their kids fed and happy.

The breakfast is AFTER the safari, and you won't eat until at least 10:00am.

Additionally there is no character or animal interaction, you sit still in the bus then the safari vehicle for about 90 minutes total.

If your kids can handle this without being disruptive to others, then go for it. If your kids are the type to be very active in teh early morning, and not like to sit still and quiet, then you might want to wait until they are older.

I'd also suggest perhaps sitting towards the back so if your kids do get a little ansty, it won't be as distracting to others.

Anne

DutchsMommy
11-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Anne - why don't you tell us how you really feel? LOL ;)

ducklite
11-10-2004, 06:30 PM
I am NOT againnt kids taking the Sunrise Safari. My problem is with parents who have unreasonable expectations of their children, and who don't consider how their children will handle this experience, and then when it becomes an issue, don't offer as much as an apology when their screaming brat flails their arms repeatedly into the back of your head.

That said, for many kids, this is a great activity. But it's not for all kids, and parents need to think carefully of how their children will handle it before booking. They also need to FEED THEIR KIDS before they leave, it's too long/late for most kids to wait for breakfast.

Anne

Ladyhawke10
11-10-2004, 09:49 PM
We had the concierge breakfast before leaving on the sunrise safari. I didn't eat at the restaurant in Africa that much because I was still full! :) I remember reading on these boards that one poster didn't remember breakfast out before they left for the safari, however, when we did this last November, the whole buffet was already out and we ate first (me and my four year old--who enjoyed the trip).

pirateofthecarolinas
11-11-2004, 06:34 AM
I had an infant behind me, so there isn't an age limit.

We had an obnoxious 13 year old on our safari. We just made sure when we left the AKL that he was on bus #1 and we were on bus #2.:p

Lori

VAgal76
11-11-2004, 07:06 AM
carbur - You also asked if there is an age limit on Sunset Safari. They do limit it to 16 years and older to participate since they have a sit down dinner at Jiko's and the group is limited to 8 participants. This safari takes place at AKL and you will be in your own safari van (pop up roof). We really enjoyed it. A wonderful experience to have as a couple and maybe some older teens.

ImprovGal
11-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by VAgal76
carbur - You also asked if there is an age limit on Sunset Safari. They do limit it to 16 years and older to participate since they have a sit down dinner at Jiko's and the group is limited to 8 participants. This safari takes place at AKL and you will be in your own safari van (pop up roof). We really enjoyed it. A wonderful experience to have as a couple and maybe some older teens.

I don't know what the official effective date of the policy change was, but when I went on the Wanyama (Sunset) Safari on 11/5, the minimum age was lowered to 12 years old (according to my hints page for my reservation confirmation). AKL-C CM's have also told me that if a single party wants to book up the whole safari, they waive the minimum age requirement. I also really enjoyed this experience (even if the Jiko dinner didn't include the ahi tuna I was craving).

#1hockeymom
11-15-2004, 07:37 PM
I also heard from our concierge queen *BT* that the age was lowered to 12 for the sunset safari.

Ladyhawke10
11-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by carbur
is there a age limit like at the sunset safari. thats all I want to know

For the Sunrise safari, I don't believe there's an age limit. I've gone w/ my son when he was a toddler.

VAgal76
11-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by ImprovGal
I don't know what the official effective date of the policy change was, but when I went on the Wanyama (Sunset) Safari on 11/5, the minimum age was lowered to 12 years old (according to my hints page for my reservation confirmation). AKL-C CM's have also told me that if a single party wants to book up the whole safari, they waive the minimum age requirement. I also really enjoyed this experience (even if the Jiko dinner didn't include the ahi tuna I was craving).

We did book the entire van with a mutual agreement with another family to allow my younger son to go. The age limit was waived for my son so he could participate under those circumstances at the time. However, back in June it was 16 years of age. I guess they had enough interest to lower the age limit and found out that younger kids would enjoy it just like the adults. I'm glad to hear it!

We loved it, too! I'm really looking forward to doing sunrise safari though there are a lot more people on it.

I would have to agree with Ducklite with knowing your kids and understanding what safari will be like so you can make a judgement call. We all want experiences, but I've been known to hang back just because I knew my son wouldn't behave appropriately in that particular situation.

Sunset safari is wonderful and they'll enjoy the animals, but it's a sit down family style dining with the others in your safari group. Some of which are couples only that are just out having a special evening to themselves. Your little one will have to endure a several course meal at Jiko's with special attention from the chef on the each course that is served. This is no big deal for us chatty adults, but not for a younger child that just wants a slice of pizza and hit the pool or arcade.