PDA

View Full Version : How to ask about room upgrades...

chipnwendy
11-09-2004, 11:14 AM
I've read about people getting room upgrades at check-in, and was wondering how I might go about doing this without seeming pushy?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated...

LindaR
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
For me, I just make lots of eye contact and chat with the CM while checking in (using his/her name) and I always smile alot (these are natural behaviors for me anyway, so I never come across as "forcing" a smile or anything). Then I ask IF there are any upgrades available. Smile. Thank you for looking. Thank you for the upgrade!

Another thing (the thing I think REALLY works for us). When we stay at a moderate (don't do values) I request a building farthest from the main building/food court (everyone wants the opposite). I always get the building I want and have always gotten an upgraded room. Last summer we stayed at POFQ. Asked for either building 1 or 7. Got 7. Then I sweetly asked if there were any upgrades available. Went from parking lot view to river view. AND we were the only ones on that side of the building! So quiet and peaceful and beautiful.

Good luck!

2x_dis_dad
11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
We had a standard room booked at WL. When we checked in I asked if there were any complimentary upgrades available. The CM said sure and upgraded us to a water view room overlooking the pool and the lake. It was a great room. I did not expect to receive and upgrade but it didn't hurt to ask.

DNBois
11-09-2004, 12:40 PM
In May of 2003, DH and I booked a standard room at CBR at a great rate of $94 a night. When we arrived, we were upgraded but didn't know it until we got to our room. We had never been to the Jamaica area and we got bldg. 45 with a corner room with an incredible view of the water:)
This time we are going to politely ask if there are any upgrades - like dis dad said, it doesn't hurt to ask:)

Suzanne033
11-09-2004, 01:04 PM
If you don't say 'complimentary' upgrade will they assume you will pay for the upgrade?

sphere99
11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
I was planning on just asking if any upgrades were available, in my case if they offered a tower room for $20 or so more per night I would jump at it!

TaurusSES_Sport
11-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Just do your part and offer to pay for it, have your credit card out like your willing, the cm will usually just say, thats ok its on us! :D

sugermouse
11-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Yea, we just ask! ::MickeyMo

Bojangles
11-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by sphere99
I was planning on just asking if any upgrades were available, in my case if they offered a tower room for $20 or so more per night I would jump at it!

CR tower rooms are almost always booked solid. :wave:

roozlilone
11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I hate to even admit this but, I'm addicted to getting upgrades! I love the challenge. I've gotten a complimentary upgrade every summer for the past 5 years. I always book the standard view room, always! For me, it starts with a faxed letter to the resort 4 days prior to my arrival! In the letter, I give them the necessary info, such as confirmation # etc and then proceed to tell them why we are coming (we usually go on a birthday or our wedding anniversary) and then in my letter I politely ask for a certain view, room, location etc. It's all in the way you ask! Upon check-in, just like all the other suggestions, make "small talk" etc. I have found that with the letter, 4 out of the 5 times I didn't even have to ask for an upgrade. A couple of times, it was a substantial upgrade, I paid for a standard view room at the AKL and got a DELUXE savannah view room! Of course, it all depends on who checks you in and what time of the year you are going. I don't know if I could even swing an upgrade during the holidays! I really believe the letter helps! No matter what though, always ask, all they can say is no! Good luck! PS, when you write the letter always mention the word "magical vacation." It's hard for anyone to deny you a magical vacation, I know, it's a little overboard, but it's DISNEY WORLD! :bounce:

chipnwendy
11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
The only problem with writing the letter is that we're renting DVC points, and I've read that you can't fax the room request with DVC. We're also going for the MVMCP, so I'm not getting my hopes too far up in the air. Anyway, the suggestions have been great so far. Thanks a lot.