PDA

View Full Version : Ever disappointed with your X-mas stay? Warm climate bothersome at X-mas?

flyball
11-09-2004, 09:16 AM
We're from up north and we're considering a Christmas trip. I'm wondering if anybody felt really odd about being in a warmer climate without any possiblity of real snow for the holiday. Does it take away from the "feel" of Christmas? How do you handle the crowds? Do you purchase tickets for fewer days in the parks and enjoy some resort time? Are you able to enjoy resort amenities with so many people around? Sorry for all the questions. If we do this, I'll be convincing everyone in my family to do it, and I don't want to mislead anyone! TIA!

PneumaticTransit
11-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I was born and raised in Minnesota, but have lived in Florida for the past 4 years. Yes, you miss the snow during Xmas - it definitely doesn't feel the same. Disney decorations are very pretty during Christmas, but they've always seemed out of place to me.
As for the crowds, Christmas week is pretty crowded at the parks and resorts. Christmas Day is one of the busiest holidays for Disney, expect large crowds and possible park closings due to occupancy. I don't know how the resorts are crowd wise, but they tend to sell out on Xmas day, and have high occupancies all week thru New Years.
But, you can always go to Mickey's Very Merry Chistmas Party. They parade is nice, and they have snow on Main Street. Well, okay, it's bubbles that look like snow, but it might help if you're feeling home sick.

snoopy5386
11-09-2004, 11:32 AM
i have been twice at xmas and both times it has been pretty cold, in the 30s, 40s and 50s. I am from NJ and I would normally be wearing a winter coat in those temps, but because we are in Florida I refused and only wore sweatshirts, so the weather didn't distract at all. The decorations are very pretty, and put you in the spirit of the season. The only downside to me is no real tree in your room, and you can't really bring a ton of presents and stuff. We spent all of our time in the parks, from open to close because it was so busy.

scrump
11-09-2004, 12:23 PM
I am a former Chicagoan and Bostonian and currently a New Yorker, so I too know about snow. Though I did miss the snow a bit, the Christmas Disney atmosphere was wonderful. Perhaps a good compromise is to spend some time in early December at WDW and have your "real" Christmas at home? We've never gone for the actual Christmas day, but have gone late November/early December when the decorations are up, and they are definitely worth it. People got in the spirit, and the lack of snow or warmer climate didn't detract from the holiday atmosphere for us. Because we go during the downtime before the actual holiday, the crowds are very manageable. Good luck!

dznyntnh
11-09-2004, 12:30 PM
We did Christmas three years in a row in Florida (just north of Miami) when I was a kid and it was in the 80's the first year, the 60's the second year and the 40's the last year, so you never really know.

My cousins always remember their first Christmas visit to WDW cuz teh pipes actually froze at the Poly. :p

All that said, I have never been disappointed by a Florida or a Disney Christmas. Being from New England, I've seen all the snow I'll ever need to see. ;)

ctrabada
11-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Speaking as a Floridian, I can tell you I love the weather here in Christmas and shudder at the though of snow outside my door! I lived in Maryland for 1 1/2 years and came running back to Florida because I couldn't take the cold... and that's mild weather in Maryland compared to NY, Minnesota and other lands up north....

However, I can understand why someone used to snow at Christmas might miss it... for us it would be neat to plan a Christmas trip up north to enjoy some snow time (as long as it's only for a few days and I can come back to warm weather! yes, I have thin blood....)

Think of a trip to WDW during Christmas as a different adventure. You have time to enjoy the snow for months.... what's a few days of warmer weather? Instead of going outside to build snowmen or do whatever you do in the snow, think about all the activities you could do outside that you couldn't do back home.... I mean, it would be a one-time thing... just one year that you spend Christmas in a different place... and you never know... you might just like it!

Suzanne033
11-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I am formerly from Maine. I was in WDW for Christmas 2001 and it just wasn't the same. I love waking up on Christmas morning to a light snow. We tried to do our best to have a 'normal' Christmas morning by having a Christmas Tree with presents in my parent's room.

safetymom
11-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Nothing beats sitting around the pool or being in the hot tub on Christmas. I don't miss the snow at all since I moved to FL. We came many times to WDW at Christmas. It is still festive but not freezing cold.

northern michigan
11-09-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm a Michigander! This will be our second Christmas in WDW! The first was for the millenium celebration. We've also gone for Thanksgiving. We've only been there during holidays and huge crowds.

The positives are that they offer everything daily and sometimes more than once. They stay open late. If you know going in it will be crowded, it won't get you down. We prefer to get there before the actual holiday so that we can do the busiest attractions on a bit of a commando type schedule before all the crowds arrrive. Once they hit the parks, anything from there is slower paced for us and relaxing. There is plenty of holiday spirit all over WDW snow or no snow! You can't go anywhere without Christmas being in front of you. It's very special! I think I might be let down visiting WDW without all that the Holiday's have to offer at WDW.

Our winters are long so I love WDW for X-mas. However, I'm not so sure I'd feel the same with Florida in general for Christmas. Christmas in WDW is special! We bring a small 2' tree and trim it with just lights. We bring a few gifts with us and buy a few more there and put them under the tree. The trip is the biggest gift of all. This year Santa will leave La Nouba tickets under the tree.

micmacmissy
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I was worried about the same issue, and we changed our Christmas week visit and instead we'll be going Dec. 10th for a week.

Three benefits of this:
1) won't miss the snow/cold/tree in the room on xmas day
2) NO CROWDS! Up until Dec. 19th is actually the LOWEST attendance of the entire year at Disney.
3) MUCH CHEAPER! We saved enough money by changing the dates that instead of two rooms at the GF, we booked a suite instead.

We couldn't pass up any of these benefits.

anne60
11-09-2004, 05:23 PM
I am going Christmas night. I am hoping and praying it does NOT feel like Christmas (weather wise, of course)!!! I want to be WARM WARM WARM!!!!

casey49781
11-09-2004, 05:45 PM
my family is from northern michigan ,,,and will be spending christmas at disney,,,we also intend on bringing a tree with presents,,,,and picking a few up there as well for our children,,,girl 7 and boy 4,,,they are so excited as they have never been anywhere and cant wait ,,,,we will be there dec 21 to 29,,,and hoping to get a couple days of disney in before all the crowds starts,,,,,have fun,,,,and enjoy something different

musicmom3
11-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Greetings from New York. On our December trip I loved the decorations and everything was beautiful...but I did not get into the Christmas "spirit" at all until I got back to the cold weather and snow.

J/T Gramdma
11-09-2004, 06:01 PM
WE wre there last year 12/14-12/19 and the weather was colder in Florida than where we live outside of D.C. inFlorida it hit 27 duing the eving and 34 in Va. Be prepared for cold !!!!!!

grad_dis_nut
11-09-2004, 09:32 PM
We went two weeks before Christmas last year, and although the decorations were BEAUTIFUL, it just didn't seem like "really" Christmas to us--kind of like Disney could just make it Christmas whenever they wanted, in that Disney Magic kind of way! So I was glad we went, and glad we didn't go for Christmas day itself (both for the crowds AND b/c I wanted to be back in our colder climate for the big day itself).

Of course, nine months later we moved to Miami :p So I'll be celebrating my first Floridian Christmas this year!!! Hope the trees smell just as good down here...

YetanotherMouseFan
11-09-2004, 09:55 PM
My kids wouldn't have known what to do WITH a white Christmas! I think once we had a flurry for about half an hour here on Christmas morning, but that's been it in the 32 years since we moved from Michigan.

Christmas is something you carry within your heart: it doesn't matter where you spend the days, as long as you're with the ones you love best.

Just my .02

flyball
11-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, we can't go in early December, as our DDs are both in middle school (and next year one will be in high school...boo hoo)! I think that would be the best compromise for us. What I'm gathering from your responses is that it's something you have to experience for yourself to figure out if you'll feel the Christmas spirit. I'm not so much worried about missing the cold (believe me, I'm looking forward to summer starting on December 26th!) as I am about missing that traditional Christmas feeling. And I worry about feeling claustrophobic with the crowds, as we've been spoiled by late August/early September crowds. We wouldn't have to "do everything," since we've visited fairly often, but I also wouldn't want to feel shut out of everything as a result of the crowds. Thanks for helping me work through this decision! I really need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly before I attempt to convince everybody else in my family. I'm having major Disney withdrawal!

Angel1
11-10-2004, 06:06 AM
and I wouldn't do it again.

I didn't think the decorations were anything specutacular.

There is enough good stuff to look foward to in December, so this time around, we're heading back during the post-holday doldrums of winter.

My sister loves Disney during the holidays and goes every year.

Perhaps her build-up is what led to my disappointment.

TomD
11-10-2004, 08:34 AM
We'll be arrving on Xmas Day. And I am looking forward to it. It doesnt matter if it is warm or cold. The way I look at it is I will be with my wife and kids at the most magical place on earth on a very special day. Nothing can beat that :)

PamNC
11-10-2004, 08:43 AM
I hate, repeat HATE cold weather. Christmas or not. They have fake snow at the Osborne lights and at MVMCP. That's enough for me. Give me the 70's anad the 80's anytime of year!

Believe me, Disney is so festive during the holidays, you won't miss the cold weather.

PamNC

chesirekate
11-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Another Michigander here, who will *not* be missing the cold weather for that short week we'll be at WDW. Though we will be back before the actual Christmas day, I don't think I'll have any problem maintaining the Christmas spirit in Florida. I truly think I could keep the spirit even if I was spending December in the Sahara:hyper:

Anyway, even up here in mid-MI we're not guaranteed snow for Christmas day. I can recall years where we had no snow on the ground or falling that day. Now that's kind of depressing because it's still cold as heck but you don't get the 'emotional' benefits of a white Christmas. I'm praying for snow this year. So long as it doesn't hit Florida during the first full week of December:teeth:

travelbug
11-10-2004, 04:39 PM
I LOVED being at WDW at Christmas! In fact, I'm kind of mourning because this will be my first Christmas NOT going to Florida since 2000 (one year at Ft. Myers, and the last two at WDW). I didn't miss the cold weather for a second, largely because I had left it behind and would be going right back to it!!

I thought there was plenty of Christmas atmosphere at WDW. Can't wait will I can go back at Christmastime again sometime. :D