PDA

View Full Version : Walking in prep for Jan trip

DisDee
11-08-2004, 12:41 PM
I stop by the WISH board every once in a awhile and always feel so inspired by those of you who have seen such great results! What an inspiration! WE've just started planning our trip for the end of Jan. and I REFUSE to come back to the hotel every night with my knees screaming at me. I'm resolved stating today to begin a walking program each and every day in preparation for our trip. I could use a little help from all of you dedicated and friendly dissers in the way of support and suggestions. Thanks so much for your motivation!

karebear1
11-08-2004, 08:14 PM
When I stated training with a trainer for the half marathon, she had me begin with walking for 20 minutes/day, 3 days aweek. Then she actually had me split that walking into 2- 10 minute sessions. She said to me.... "Always leave yourself like you want to walk farther" So..... I followed her adivce. That was in April. I can now walk 7 miles at a time and will attempt 8 on Saturday! This was prescribed to me- a 120 lb. over weight, 45 pound woman. Ive lost 40 lbs. since I started walking, and hope to be able to get the rest off- but even if I don't- at least I know I am healthier and happy for all the walking I do! If I can do this- SO CAN YOU!!!

DisDee
11-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks karebear! I think its just awesome that you will be participating in the marathon. That just goes to show you what setting a goal can do. I know I need to take it one day at a time and meet my daily goal in preparation for the larger one. Thanks again for the motivation and congrats on your progress!

karebear1
11-09-2004, 05:54 PM
You're welcome Disdee! have you started to walk yet?

DisDee
11-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Yes, I've started my walking program...walked for 10 minutes on my break at work and also just got back from a 10 minute around the neighborhood. It feels good to say I reached my first little goal for today!

karebear1
11-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Well good for you! Isn't it easier to do it that way? I remember when I first started walking - just dreading ti! I enjoy it now, and feel so bad when I can't get out to walk. Keep up the good work! You're worth it!

Dchef
11-13-2004, 11:39 PM
I am also planning a trip at the end of Jan. and although I need to loose a substantal amount of wieght, I more importantly want to be able to walk and not feel in pain after the first hour. SO, I have started WW and I am going to get a punch card at the rec center and each day while my kids are in school I will do the tread mill...I figure this will get me at lease in better shape--I can only get better from doing it.
I would like to know from all of the fitness guru's out there if I can expect a suffecient amount of improvement doing a little every day until Jan 27, and will it help to get me around the park?
I can only imagine that it will--But I lack the confidence unless I know it will for sure.

Thanks and good luck everyone.
D.

karebear1
11-14-2004, 08:12 PM
You will DEFINETLY benefit from walking everyday from now until your trip! Just wait nad see how much your stamina improves! You'll be so excited!!

DisDee
11-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi D, Good for you to join a group like WW. The support of others working toward the same goal is really a motivating factor. A sensible fitness program that stats slowly and increases more with time and endurance is also the way to go. Little changes mean a lot! Remember one day at a time! Good luck!

Dchef
11-17-2004, 02:12 AM
I think it will too--Off to a bad week this week but tommorrow, new day.
My biggest fear is that my hips are too wide to fit on the rides--UGH!!! But I am working at changing that. But these things take time.

D

caribbeanme
11-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Hi DChef--

We'll be arriving at Disney on almost the same day! (Jan. 26)

I also started a walking plan a month before my summer trip, and just walking a mile every other day on the treadmill and watching what I ate helped incredibly. At first, every mile killed me. But every week showed great improvement. I could even see the change in my muscle tone. By the time I got to Disney I could walk (and stand) for longer than I ever expected to.

I have another trip coming up, and I'm starting all over again, but now with a couple of months of advance time so that I can use the trip as motivation to improve my fitness level. I'm also on a nutrition program (the zone), and I already feel a change. So much so, I started to get off the bus a couple of stops early just to walk a little more each day. Every little bit helps, trust me!