PDA

View Full Version : marathon training thread for 11/7-11/14

karebear1
11-07-2004, 07:22 PM
YEAH FOR DECAFF!! You finished your 10K in style! You rule girlie!! Was that your first race? Was it harder then you thougt? It sounds like you did really well. You should be proud of yourself! I am PROUD OF YOU!!!

Rachel- good for you for sticking with it! You did a great job on your run today- and worked successfully through the pain and awkwardness of your running. When I do something like that then I know that I am ready to do WHATEVER I HAVE TO to get through this half marathon! And so are you!

Today was a rest ay for me, but I wanted to start the new thread.
Also make an announcement:

There are still 6 openings (8 if at least 2 are children under 12) for the WISHES Cruise for Monday evening January 10, 2005. If you are interested in doing this please let me know. If the boat is full- the cost will be $14.00/pperson.

Let's make this the most dedicated training week yet!

Cheryl N. WI
11-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Karen plese put me down for 3 of those spots on the WISHES cruise on the 10th. This sounds like alot of fun!

I didn't do the greatest at staying comitted to no sweets last week. I would do really good 1 day and then blow it the next and then do really good the next day. So 1 of my goals for this week is to really get serious about not eating sweets. This week I need to walk 8 miles for my long walk, I'm still trying to figure out which day will be best for that and I going to committ to doing my 3 days of walking and 2 days of crosstraining this week, I've been getting better about getting in the crosstraining but stiil not always getting in both sesions in a week.

We're getting so close now ladies, 9 weeks from now and it will be over, I can't believe it! We need to stay strong in our resolve now as we head into the busy holiday season which is rapidly approaching and we will be able to accomplish this great goal journey we set off on!!!!!

Keep moving everyone!

Cheryl :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ohMom
11-08-2004, 11:02 AM
it's all starting to feel so real.........I did get my packet this weekend -- love the 1/2 marathon shirts!

I did my 40 min walk today -- my feet are aching a bit, not sure after a light week why that is?

i realize that a 45 min walk just doesn't seem very long anymore. huh?

cyber high five to everyone -- i didn't have time to read all the posts from last week but i just know everyone is doing awesome!

cheryl -- i will be inspired by YOU this week to avoid the candy and sweets! thank you!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Took our cat to a new vet today--they said her legs can heal as they are with the bones eventually fusing together--no amputation and no euthanasia since she is eating, drinking, and using the litter even though she can't walk.

He had never seen such an injury in one leg let alone two in a cat. But cats are great healers--if it were a dog,it would be a different story :(

Hope all is well with everyone...just read about Beth's mom on last week's thread :( How very very sad!!!!
Hugs and Prayers to you Beth!
:grouphug:

Lisa

Lisa loves Pooh
11-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by ohMom
it's all starting to feel so real.........I did get my packet this weekend -- love the 1/2 marathon shirts!

I did my 40 min walk today -- my feet are aching a bit, not sure after a light week why that is?

i realize that a 45 min walk just doesn't seem very long anymore. huh?

cyber high five to everyone -- i didn't have time to read all the posts from last week but i just know everyone is doing awesome!

cheryl -- i will be inspired by YOU this week to avoid the candy and sweets! thank you!

I have this foot massage roller that I bought at a running store--it was created for patients with Plantar Fasciitis--but it does wonders for my feet anyway. I get lactic build up/tension spots in my feet. Post Run--use this roller--and your feet feel like heaven when you are finished.

http://www.runningplanet.com/shop/product.asp?product_id=1021

It is expensive--but best money you will ever spend!!! Works best post workout. I lost my last one and haven't used it in 4 days--just got it today--so it is taking some effort to get the aches out of my feet. But once they are gone--it is heaven.

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
11-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I read that oHmom got her packet and none for me yet! Poofies - my mailman is going to be in trouble if I don't get mine soon! I bet he doesn't EVEN know that I am waiting on somthing special

:teeth:

I'm off for a massage - bet I will be forget it for the rest of the evening and I will give him until tomorrow and then I am gonna be ............................ well, something, but shoot should I really blame him? He's the choice for right now anyway ::yes::

karebear1
11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Grammy- I got my packet today- I'll bet you get yours soon too! Did anyone notice that there is NO info on a spaghetti dinner on Friday or Saturday??? I wonder if they're going to have one this year?

Rachael Q
11-08-2004, 07:20 PM
No package here yet. But the email I received when I switched to the 1/2 marathon said my entry probably didn't make it in time for the first wave of packages, and to keep my eye on the mail for November or December. I hope it comes soon.

Today was supposed to be a run day for me, but my irritable bowel flared up. It's only 4pm though, and I am starting to feel better so maybe I will go this evening.

And it's not raining, so I should go while the weather's good.

Rachael

karebear1
11-08-2004, 08:08 PM
There's room for 1 more person on that WISHES Cruise for Monday - January 10-2005.

Any takers????

NCRedding
11-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Karebear1: I'd love to do the wishes cruise with everyone on 1/10.

Rachael Q
11-09-2004, 12:10 AM
I ended up going for a run. Run 3/Walk 2 for for 45mins. I was feeling really good, but run slow. I ran 2.43 miles. Would have liked to have gone a little faster, but I'll take it!

Rachael

karebear1
11-09-2004, 02:43 AM
NCRedding- YOU just filled in the last spot!

Sorry everyone else- this cruise is full!

I'll PM each of the 10 people that have reserved a spot on this cruise with the final details as soon as they can give them to me. Now that the park hours haev been determined for that day- i should be able to call and get the specific info on what time to meet etc. When I know this info- I'll let ya know!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-09-2004, 07:17 AM
We're checking out on Monday--so no cruise for us :(

I'll check in later--just doing my quick reads of the DIS Boards.

ohMom
11-09-2004, 07:57 AM
monday AEG and I have Fantasmic Dinner package scheduled -- if anyone else books that let me know so we can find each other for the show! thanks for asking karen :)

this has been a sleepy week for me - i just got up and now i'm convincing myself that water aerobics is the workout of the day. it's chilly here so the thought of swimming isn't too enticing; but i'm reminding myself I really do like the class once i'm there and going!

did manage to eat on plan yesterday too! woo hoo for me! one day at a time

Cheryl N. WI
11-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Good Tuesday morning fellow marathoners :wave:

It is a wonderful Tuesday because I have today off and I usually work on Tuesdays. Now hopefully I will not spend my whole day on the DIS boards and I will get some of the cleaning and laundry done that is in desperate need of doing, but that can wait until after I get caught up here and of course after I do my workout for the day. Yesterday was a rest day for me, today will be a crosstraining day, I am going to do my Denise Austin weight tape and I think I'll also do the 2 mile WATP tape again too. Tomorrow I am comitting to do my long walk for the week, 8 miles. Tomorrow is supposed to be the warm day of the week (upper 50's) and then tomorrow night a COLD front is supposed to come through and we might even get some of that nasty white stuff, I can't even say it's name ;). Doesn't mother nature know I'm training for a marathon and I need to keep walking outside lol.

Oh boy Molli if you are going to use me to inspire you to not eat sweets I have to really be good so it looks like you in return will be inspiring me! Thank you I need any help I can get in that department!!! Yesterday, I"ll admit it, I did have a small peanut butter cup and a tootsie roll midgie so it wasn't a perfect day but compared to the way I had been eating that is a great improvement and today I will think of you and not eat any of that YUCKY halloween candy that is still in the house.

Lisa I hope your poor little kitty heals quickly, it is so hard to see a pet hurting but it is amazing how they can adapt. Thanks for the link about the foot roller. I think I am going to order one. My feet have been aching alot lately too especially a few hours after I walk and the again when I first get up in the morning. Some mornings I hobble around for awhile feeling like my feet are about 80 years old.

Grammy how was your massage? A massage sure sounds heavenly, I am still debating if I should splurge and get one on our cruise in 2 weeks or get a pedicure before we go. Dh really doesn't want me getting anywhere near the Spa on the ship, he is afraid I'll like it too much and spend too much money there ;)

Karen Yahoo you got your packet! Isn't it exciting to have and look through. I keep studying that map lol Did you figure out when you will get your long walk in with your trip to SLC this weekend?

Rachel GOOD for you getting out there later in the day to get your run in after you were feeling better instead of just skipping it for the day!!!

Keep up the great work everyone, keep on moving!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cheryl :sunny:

Cheryl N. WI
11-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Yikes I just realized that today is the 9th which means the BIG DAY is now only 2 months away!

I'm off to do my exercise tapes!

Cheryl

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
11-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I want to report that it was just "heavenly". The guy worked on my tender leg/hip for more than 20 minutes and then did a whole hour for the rest of the bod! He said I am going to be "okay" and just need to take it easy and make another appt if it starts to tighten up again - frankly it still feels tight but it does feel better. And I did make another appt - this is medicinal - right - not for pleasure :teeth:

I keep thinking I just "need" to get back to walking this week and then I get myself under control and say "NO" let it heal - so I may try a casual walk near the end of the week and just stick to some stretching.

Cheryl - I say go for the cruise massage - YOU DESERVE IT!! You ahve been a faithful trainee and this would be a nice kudo for all that work! Can't wait to hear about the cruise - will be us next year!! and gosh how could you embark that ship without a pedicure - by all means schedule that too ::yes:: we wouldn't want your DH to be embarrassed - you showing up with unmanicured tooties :teeth:

Keep up the good work everyone - off to finish my lunch.

Rachael Q
11-09-2004, 12:32 PM
Cheryl N - book the massage! It will be worth it!

My job is up the middle of January, so I only have 2 and 1/2 months left on my benefits, and I am no where near the maximums. So we figured out I can go for a massage every 2 weeks between now and January and still not max out my benefits.

I go to a massage therapist and she works on my legs for over 1/2 the treatment and then works a bit on my back, arms and shoulders. It really helps with the recovery time.

Treat yourself!

karebear1
11-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Sounds like everyone here is having a wonderfl day today! I want a massage to- but I have to wait until January!

Cheryl- i walk my long walk tomorrow and then the rest of the week I'll probably fulfill my required 2-3 miles a day just sightseeing.

I walked 3 miles this morning- and will do 1 more tonight.

And- I fell off the no sweets wagon yesterday! Boo hoo! I was doing so well! :(

grammy- I feel ALL of your pain! Both the hip pain and the "I have to wait to walk again" pain!! Isn't it hard to believe that we really want to walk so badly that we think abouty doing it before we really should?!?!?!? I always have in the back of my mind how much time I am losing while I wait! AHHHHHHH! It can be so maddening!!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Hello All!!!

I wanted to have sweet last night--but I resisted--YEAH!!!

I ran 6 miles this morning. Since we did our long run Sunday and since I was doing the vet with the kitty yesterday...the coach gave me a modified week--4-6 today (I ran 6), 4-6 tomorrow, and 4 easy on Thursday. All this b/c we jump up to 14 miles on Saturday..YIKES!!!

Today's 6 was fairly easy--meaning back on September 11 when I ran 6 for the first time--thought I was going to die it was so hard!!! So kudo's to fitness--I love being an Athlete--what about you ladies? B/c with all that we're doing--we are bona fide athletes!!!

Kitty Update:
Squiggle is a happy cat--she is convalescing (sp?) and enjoying her special meaty wet cat food and lots of extra kitty treats--just what the doctor ordered :) She has been purring on occasion :) Good sign!!

Today she meowed quite a bit--ends up she wanted onto my bed--so I am fearful that she is there unattended at the moment--but she is sleeping so peacefully :) She's much more cozy than on the floor.

The Vet is going to let her bones fuse at their new meeting place--and he thinks she will be walking (albeit very funny) by her visit 2 weeks from yesterday.

She's on steriods which some very kind Disers on my other thread are telling me evil things about--I'll consider a holistic vet after her 2 week check up--maybe sooner...I've already spent over $200 between ER visit and meds. We'll have to see.

No marathons for Squiggle though ;)

Thanks for the happy thoughts.

Auntmeme
11-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Beth, So sorry to hear about your mom. A big hug to you and your family Please keep in touch, will miss you at the marathon but hopefully see you next year!

Is anyone else thinking next year?

Susan how does that hill look?
Karen any word about the shirt logo? & where is the info about the pasta dinner? I didn't see it on the disney site, did I miss it

I did a 4 miler this am and it was chilly - low 40's. I believe that is the temp for early am in Fl during Jan. I definitely would have liked to have had something covering my ears. I layered and after a mile or so wanted to take off the sweatshirt.

Have a terrific Tuesday everyone

sorry to say I've had candy & a brownie & cookies - so much for trying to make it to thanksgiving - I have no will power:crazy:

Lisa loves Pooh
11-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Okay Auntmeme--if everyone keeps indulging--I may have to join in--I want a piece of chocolate!!!!

Okay now that that is out of me--

Wednesday is my birthday--have to clean up my house for my pajama party fundraiser--a friend who ran a marathon in Alaska for Team in Training sells Mary Kary--so we are doing a whole girlie thing tomorrow night :)

This is on top of caring for Squiggle the wonder-kitty!

I think I'll have some chocolate now :)

Susan--I want to hear about that hill, too! Hopefully it is a lot less than that evil bridge I have to run sometimes. :crazy:

Lisa

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
11-09-2004, 08:16 PM
if it doesn't come tomorrow - then it won't be until Friday - no mail on Thursday (I know cuz I am a government worker and we get the day off too)

I am still holding my mailman responsible... if it's not there tomorrow - I may just put a note out for him for Friday to HURRY UP AND BRING IT - PLEASE !!!!!!!

I know................ this just might be a pay back to me - whenever I mail something to my DGD's the younger one (Paige) gets hers first and the older one (Taylor) doesn't get hers that day. MMMMMM- maybe there is a lesson here............................. but honestly I mail them both things at the very same time and soooooooooooooooooooooooo it is the mailman - yep I am sticking by my "blaming" the mailman for my slow delivery!!!

maryliz
11-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Went out after supper tonight and did a 45 minute walk. It was pretty cold out so I really needed to use the first 5-7 minutes for a warm-up but I still ended up doing 2.85 miles, so I'm pretty happy with that because I wasn't "giving it my all" ... but I wasn't "strolling" either ;) This is a new neighbourhood for me and I found the after 7pm walk a little spooky. I think I need to go out before supper ... it's still dark but at least there's lots of traffic coming home from work.

Because of the move, we're quite a bit farther from Curves and I'm finding it really hard to get there. I thought about going before I pick up the kids from the sitter, but I really don't do well before supper .... call me crazy but I exercise more effectively on a full stomach :rolleyes:

LLP - wow ... that's quite the training schedule you're doing! Good for you! :)

Haven't gone for a massage in quite a while but I really must do that :teeth:

Happy Training !

Mary-Liz

Kimickey
11-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm going to make this brief because I'm vewy vewy vewy sleepy.

I ran 5 1/2 miles tonight (non-stop) in less than an hour. I realized while running that I'm going to need a sneaker that supports the ball of my feet better.

Okay everyone I hate to be rude, but I'm tired. I chat a lot more tomorrow.

Debbie
11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi, Everyone! 2 months today is the BIG day. I came home tonight, didn't feel like working out, but grabbed my new tape player and opened the "Walking to the Classics" that Nancy had lying around. Decided that I needed to PUSH myself, and, since I knew that the walk would be cut short (had to watch Jeopardy), so I put in the "Advanced" tape.

Huff! Puff! Move it! Move it! Did the first side, started the second...about 40 minutes, I'd say. Not bad. I slowed down a couple of times, then wogged my way to catch up. :cool:

The biggest problem that I found is that the cold air really hurt at the beginning. I'm going to have to dig out a scarf to breathe "through" when it is really cold out. Mary Liz gave us some "running gloves"-cotton- and they really do the trick of keeping the fingers warm while I am walking. They are easy to pull partway off to cool off a bit.

Speaking of cold, I'm really dreading the time before we start the walk. I know how quickly I'll warm up once we start to move, but that time before. . . .:earseek: Any pointers on that one????

Stay warm everyone!

ibouncetoo
11-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Finally back into training! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Did 40 mins this morning, will do another 40 tomorrow (if I get off the blasted computer and get to bed!)

Was in Chicago for four days this weekend and did lots of walking in the CRISP autumn air. My big sister whom I was visiting (and who's not a WDW nut) may come play with me at WDW for a couple of days after the race! :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Has anyone else noticed that the Jan AP rates are out and they are significantly better than our group rates? If a mess of us switch over to booking our own rooms at AP rates do we run the risk of loosing the group rate if there aren't enough people? I'd love to save the money (or better yet, UPGRADE) but don't want to risk jeopardizing group rates for non-AP people. Suppose I can use our group rate for Fri/Sat/Sun night and switch over after that. Karebare do you know?

Got my birthday gift from my bosses today. A very cute 2005 desk calendar. And on the page of 1/9 was a $50 Sports Authority gift certificate and "Congratulations" written on that page. Pretty great, huh?

OK, I'm off to bed, only got 6 hours till my workout!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Happy Birthday to me
I am thirty
I just went running
and now I'm stinky
:bday: :bday:

:)

Hubby was shocked--"you're going to run--on your birthday?" Next time I'll remember that my b-day is an honorary holiday since it is before Veteran's Day :hyper: :hyper:

Hope all is well--I'll have to clean the house this morning since tonight is my pajama party. Well at least my kitchen is mostly clean--one less room to worry about.

2 months from now--we'll be in pain!!!!
Oh but what an accomplished pain it will be :)

I feel so Floridian--with all of you talking about cold. It's in the low 70s and was breezy this morning--Third day that I've worn ear muffs. :teeth:

I get made fun of--but I do have a good reason--piercing ear pain caused by cool air...I don't really think it is cold--but the muffs prevent that pain :) However, my coaches and teammates still think I'm silly :crazy: Maybe I am--but my ears are toasty ;)

Lisa loves Pooh
11-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by ibouncetoo

Got my birthday gift from my bosses today. A very cute 2005 desk calendar. And on the page of 1/9 was a $50 Sports Authority gift certificate and "Congratulations" written on that page. Pretty great, huh?

:bday:

Happy birthday--didn't know that is was your birthday yesterday!

ibouncetoo
11-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Happy Birthday to you too, my fellow Scorpio!:bday:

Mine was actually Sunday...but I did a long weekend in Chicago, so we celebrated at work yesterday.

I also have ears that are very sensitive to the cold, so I'll be looking for ear muffs or those fat head band thingies. If the weather race day is anything like last year (heaven forbid) we'll ALL wish we had some.

It's just coming on 6AM here, so I'm off to find my sneakers......hope the sun gets up pretty soon!

I'll report back in tonight.

maryliz
11-10-2004, 11:00 AM
:bday: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Happy Birthday to both of you! I guess it's then justified that I had just finished some chocolate cheese :cake: before I came here to the boards. Must have been our inner-connection that just knew I needed to celebrate some birthdays!

Hope your day(s) were/are terrific and that you both have a fabulous year ahead!

Mary-Liz

ohMom
11-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Happy birthday cheers to our b-day girlies!!!!

i just got in from my powerwalk - 40 mins with stride drills - totally 50 mins with wu/cd all in all about 3.5 miles. I was a bit miffed at myself reaching just over .5 mile in 8 mins! that was unacceptable. I kicked my glutties into gear and did miles 1 and 2 in 14 mins, much better. ok -- i think i actaully wogged today! he he he -- i talked with my uncle last weekend was walked a marathon and he said he walks 12 min/miles! hey this guy is a lot older then I -- so i'm thinking i gotta pick it up today. question -- when you wog do you actually feel shorter??? i felt like my knees were 'softer' and i shrunk down a bit. do you?? it's like walking so fast that running would almost be easier??

good thing about going later this morning -- it had warmed up quite a bit and was a pleasant 47 degrees and sunny. my plan for keeping warm pre-race is layering and possibly buying some of the heat gel packs for my hands, you know those disposable thingies at sport stores.

i gotta hit the shower and make the most of my time this afternoon.

Cheryl -- yes -- book a massage on Magic!! oh my!! my thoughts was my massage was heavenly, not much different from a massage anywhere else but nice and relaxing. of course more pricey but you are on a Disney ship -- and having that as part of your vacation is worth the price difference. I did a CC massage, won't do that again, not enough time on the island as it is -- of course you have 2 days!!!:sunny: Have you thought about booking REAS??

ok -- i ate gummie bears yesterday! bad me!!!!! cheryl I even heard you tell me not to and I wasn't strong!!!! today I will be and all of you please be strong with me!! it's helps!

KatieBelle
11-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I am sticking to my MFM schedule. I walked 30 minutes on Monday, and I rode my bike for 30 minutes last night for cross-training. Today is my rest day. princess:

maryliz
11-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Just got back from a 40 minute brisk walk at lunch ... did 2.67 miles, so just under the 15 minute mile, and that included my warm-up. We are having a beautiful day here today ... it's about 11 degrees Celcius and when the sun is shining, it's so warm :sunny: But it was pretty windy, so I just tried to get my directions right so I could get back to work. Just finished my carbs, so now it's time to get changed, and get back to work :(

Molli ... wow that is some time for your uncle. I know the winner of the Niagara 1/2 did the walk in under a 9 minute mile. How can one's body possibly DO that ??? :confused:

Happy hump-day everyone!

Mary-Liz

NancyK
11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Happy birthday to everyone who is has had or is having a birthday this week! I've been pretty lazy these past few days. It's time to kick it up a notch - I don't want to be in so much pain after the race that I can't enjoy the rest of our vacation!

TriMom
11-10-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm running the full Marathon - my first!. I have been lurking some here, but it seemed liked everyone was doing the 1/2 and I didn't want to impose on your training. I know that some of those full marathoners can be snobby, and I didn't want to be confused with them. I am so proud of everyone who pushes themselves to accomplish any goal and all of you are wonderful!

So anyway... Here is my first WISH post.

About 3 years ago I was a couch potato who got bit by the Triathalon bug. I trained, trained, trained, lost 80 lbs, and finished an Olympic distance Tri. and a 1/2 marathon. I felt great. I got preggo shortly after the Tri, and gained back the entire 80 lbs. :mad: stupid bedrest. When my DS was about 4 months old, I realized I needed a new goal and the WDW marathon was it. I've lost 50 lbs so far, and I'm begining to feel great again.

My training for this week:
Mon :4 mile run - speedwork. For me that's a 9:30 minute mile
Tue: 6 mile run - had to be on treadmill so boring!!!
Thur: planned 4 mile
Sat: 14 mile - this will be the longest I have run in my life.

Lisa Loves Pooh - Are you using the Non-Runners Marathon training guide too? It sounds like we have the same schedule.

Marathon goal - TO FINISH!!! (but in the back of my mind I'd like to do it under 6 hours)

NancyK
11-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Welcome to WISH TriMom! Congrats on your 50 pound weight loss. Be sure to post often. We want to hear how your 14 mile run goes this weekend.

karebear1
11-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Yes! We,come TriMom- we like new people here because they help us laern so much more about what we're doing! It's sounds like you have completely changed your life! that is very imporessive. Please do tell us about your run this weekend- and please keep posting!

Well everybody- I did my 8 mile walk today! I DID IT!!!! I DID IT!! That's practially 2/3rds of the way there. I feel pretty good too! Now- while I'm away on my little trip, I will only have to walk the short mileage- 3-3 miles.,

I asked nancyK if she would start next weeks thread for me and she said she would.... so everyone needs to look for a post by her, not me!

I am proud of you all! Keep up the good work- I'm looking forward to next week when I can report back that I DID do my short walks while on vacation!

Grammy- how's your hip doing?? Feeling any better?

Debbie
11-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Welcome, trimom! You'll have to share your real name, too. ;) Congratulations on setting goals and meeting them. WAY TO GO!!!!

Did my cross-training day at Curves today. I'm not sure when I'll get tomorrow's done. I'm going out to dinner with our staff and the city's elementary school "Coach of the Year". We're all excited for her, and it will be a fun time. And good food. :eek:

Karen! What an accomplishment! 2/3 of the way there! Have fun while you are away.

Mary Liz, that wind was horrible. Good for you for getting out and walking. (We had a pot luck, so I was preoccupied...with food. :eek: )

Lisa and Jackie....happy birthday to you both! Hope that it was wonderful, and that you got all of your wishes.

Have a good evening, everyone!

maryliz
11-10-2004, 08:59 PM
WooHoo Karen on your 8 mile walk .... you're near the parking lot at the TTC heading towards the Contemporary! That's fabulous that you did it. Enjoy your getaway this weekend!

Welcome trimom ... please be sure to share your training experiences and any good tips, since you've done other types of races.

I went out and did Curves when I got home from work. I really didn't want to :rolleyes: but tomorrow night is no good, and I only made it there once last week. :( It took me just over an hour to drive there, work out (only 2x13 machines) and drive home. This is not going to be good especially once the true winter weather is here. And I don't have the time to go after work before I get the kids from daycare. Ugghhh .... need to keep my motivation, that's for sure 'cause it'll be way to easy to NOT go. It was much easier when it was only a 2 minute drive, or a 15 minute walk if I was motivated.

Pleasant dreams of Disney, everyone!

Mary-Liz

Tiger Lily 03
11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Beth, I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and family as you go through this time.
:hug:

I finally got my race info in the mail! Whoo Hooo! I was getting kinda concerned. Now all that has to happen is I need to improve my time. I am getting a bit anxious. I have had a bit of a slow down these last couple of weeks. I miss the outdoor wogging.

I did notice that there is no mention of the spaghetti dinner. I also see medals in the pics, but only saw something about participant certificates to be mailed with results later. I am so looking forward to that Donald medal. It is still being distributed right?

Molli, where are you planning to eat with your Fantasmic package on the 10th? Yeah, when I wog, I often want to run because is does start to hurt some, I just feel that the wog strengthens my legs. I wish I could get that race walk thing going so I could kick up my pace a bit.

Just got back from the gym where I did 25 minutes of recumbent bike and then weight circuit, and about 15 minutes on the track. No swimming today.

Cheryl, I should have been outside tonight as it was a good weather day. We seem to be a day behind you in the weather. We are due to get that S*** stuff tomorrow night I think.

I am glad everyone is enjoying their massages. The last one I had was about a couple of years age, when I got home my back hurt so bad I sat on the heating pad all night to feel better. No more massages for me. I am afraid to go again.

Lisa, hope your kitty is going to be better soon. You seem to be progressing quite well. I donít think I want to ever attempt 14 miles. Good luck with that long run.
Happy Birthday!

Debbie good question about the time before the race. I am concerned about that as well: warmth, eating enough to get me started, and beverage/then potty break. Hmmm.

Jackie, your bosses are so sweet. What a great gift!

Ear covering person here too, even in summer I put in ear plugs to keep the wind out if I am riding my bike, or cotton balls. I usually have a scarf tied around my head like a band. I may look dumpy, but I get the job done.

TriMom, welcome aboard! Come often, post lots!

Karen, good for you. You got to 8 miles! That is great news.

I need to get to bed as I should be fresh for work tomorrow. Good night all!

Everyone, I missed, please know I am there with ya and didn't mean to miss responding. I look forward to our time in 2 months! We will need to start making firm plans soon to meet before, during, after.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by TriMom
I'm running the full Marathon - my first!. I have been lurking some here, but it seemed liked everyone was doing the 1/2 and I didn't want to impose on your training. I know that some of those full marathoners can be snobby, and I didn't want to be confused with them. I am so proud of everyone who pushes themselves to accomplish any goal and all of you are wonderful!

So anyway... Here is my first WISH post.

About 3 years ago I was a couch potato who got bit by the Triathalon bug. I trained, trained, trained, lost 80 lbs, and finished an Olympic distance Tri. and a 1/2 marathon. I felt great. I got preggo shortly after the Tri, and gained back the entire 80 lbs. :mad: stupid bedrest. When my DS was about 4 months old, I realized I needed a new goal and the WDW marathon was it. I've lost 50 lbs so far, and I'm begining to feel great again.

My training for this week:
Mon :4 mile run - speedwork. For me that's a 9:30 minute mile
Tue: 6 mile run - had to be on treadmill so boring!!!
Thur: planned 4 mile
Sat: 14 mile - this will be the longest I have run in my life.

Lisa Loves Pooh - Are you using the Non-Runners Marathon training guide too? It sounds like we have the same schedule.

Marathon goal - TO FINISH!!! (but in the back of my mind I'd like to do it under 6 hours)

Welcome and congrats on that 50 lost!!!

I am with the Leukemia Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. They have coaches for us to utilize. This week I had a modified workout--b/c our long run was on Sunday--and my cat had serious leg injuries that required vet visits on Monday. Our schedule was supposed to be M-3, T-XTrain, W-4, H-4, F-Rest, S-14. But since I couldn't do that--I was advised to do T-4 to 6, W 4 to 6, H-4. I know that they have a national coach who sets a base program for the local coaches and they modify it for their team. I don't know the source of it though.

Again Welcome!!!

Tiger Lily--you won't do 14, will ya???--but come January 9th--it'll be 13.1 for you--add the walk to the start before and to the food tent after--and you will be doing more than 14 ;):p ;)
Kitty is doing well--thanks for asking--I still need to figure out how she gets off of the bed without howling in pain (she begs to be on the bed, so I let her). She gets into and out of the litter box unassisted now.

My Mary Kay Birthday PJ Party was a success--$355 in sales which yielded me a complimentary $72 b-day present :) :) :)

Cheryl N. WI
11-10-2004, 10:55 PM
I didi my crosstraining yesterday and I got in my 8 mile walk today and it actually turned into an 8.9 mile when I added in my warm up and cool down!! I timed myself for the 8 miles and I averaged just over a 14 min mile so I was happy :D My legs are a little sore but tomorrow is a scheduled rest day, if you can consider the long day I have at work tomorrow a rest day lol. Oh yeah and I made it through yesterday and today without caving in to the sweets but I am really craving some chocolate now I must resist, I must resist. Molli don't get down on yourself for eating those gummi bears, it could have been worse right and today was a new day with new resolve, remeber we can do this!

Happy birthday to the birthday girls :cake: :cake: :bday: :bday:

Lisa I ordered the foot roller yesterday and will hopefully have it by the end of the week! My feet can't wait!!! I am glad your kitty is doing better and congrats on doing so well with your Mary Kay party!

Bev and Molli I will tell DH it is all your faults, that you told me to do the massage ;) I did schedule myself for a pedicure and a manicure for next week Thur. so my hands and feet will be beautiful on the Magic. I am very, very seriously considering the massage on the ship. Molli lets be really good together tomorrow about avoiding those bad, bad sweets!

TriMom Welcome to our wonderful group! My main goal is just to finish this endeavor too!

Yahoo Karen you did your 8 miles :thewave: Have a great time in SLC!

Lily you can do this just keep on walking and crosstraining and your times should keep improving! Hang in there girlfriend!!

Maryliz If it gets too hard to get to Curves as the weather gets worse do you have some tapes you could do with light weights at home so that you would have another option to keep up your crosstraining? I went to Curves 2 years ago and then it just got too hectic trying to get there when they were open (the closest oneto me had really goofy, inconvenient hours) so I picked up some different exercise tapes to do at home when it was convenient for me.

Debbie have fun at your dinner tomorrow!

Have a good Thursday everyone! Keep on moving! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cheryl

Rachael Q
11-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I looked into joining the local Curves. But it's only open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, and it's closed from 1pm to 2pm. So I can't go before work, I can't go after work and I can't go on weekends because they are closed.

I will have to try another gym.

Today was a rest day for me, tomorrow is 45mins, but I may do my long run tomorrow - 6miles. Saturday is my actual long run day, but I am going with my MIL to a christmas craft fair, so probably wont get my run in.

Lisa - I love the sound of the foot massager, I am seriously considering getting one.

ibouncetoo
11-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Morning All! Welcome Trimom!

Rachael, the Curves by me had really crummy hours when it first opened, but they've been expanding them over time.

I did 2.25 miles yesterday morning in under 40 mins, including warm up and cool down pace. For a little bit there in the middle, I felt like I was flying! Still slow, I know, but not bad for someone who's been WAY off schedule. I have 6 miles this weekend for my long walk and I won't be worrying about pace....just making it that far :rolleyes:

My friend (PixieMagic) has done 9 miles this past weekend! I think most of us are just going to wave goodbye to her at the starting line.....she'll be flying to that finish line!

My schedule is slightly off, days of the week wise, due to my trip and today should be a rest day since I walked the last two. But I think I'm going to have one of the girls at work go down to our gym with me at lunch or after work and run through some of the weights with me. I'd like to be doing some upper body work as part of my cross-training and weight loss.

BTW, do we know approximately what time the WISHES CRUISE is? I'll do a search and see if I can find out the Jan schedule.

Karebear, have a great trip. Everyone else.....keep walking!

Auntmeme
11-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Happy Birthday Lisa & Jackie:bday: :bday: I'm staying away from that chocolate cake clippie becvause it will make me want some;)

My snacking at night is not going well - any advice?????

Congrats Karen on the 8 miler :Pinkbounc :bounce: Awesome!

I'm scheduled to do 8 maybe 10 miles today while ds is in school but without a walking buddy I think I'll be bored. Checking out my music now for motivation!have a terrific Thursday!

Rachael Q
11-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Good morning,

Ibouncetoo - the Disney site says that Wishes on Monday January 10th is 8.00pm. I am not sure what time the cruise will leave.

I am trying to decided whether I should do my scheduled 45 min run, or my long run today. Decisions, Decisions.

Whatever I decide to do, I will be enjoying my extra day off!:D

Auntmeme
11-11-2004, 01:30 PM
Happy happy to report I did it - 9 miles :teeth:

Have a great day everyone:D

Lisa loves Pooh
11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Auntmeme
Happy Birthday Lisa & Jackie:bday: :bday: I'm staying away from that chocolate cake clippie becvause it will make me want some;)

My snacking at night is not going well - any advice?????

Congrats Karen on the 8 miler :Pinkbounc :bounce: Awesome!

I'm scheduled to do 8 maybe 10 miles today while ds is in school but without a walking buddy I think I'll be bored. Checking out my music now for motivation!have a terrific Thursday!

Thanks for the well wishes---

For the snacking--are you eating before AND after your walks? I am eating all day long with the running. If you are snacking at night out of hunger--you may need to look into an extra snack in the day (closer to your workout) or maybe some larger portion sizes. I graze after dinner--but try to stick with fruit unless it is my birthday ;)

(Being my birthday is before a national holiday and all--I got cannoli's last night and for my snack this morning--talk about a sugar rush--ordinarily I don't do that.).

Good luck!!!

TriMom
11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Mary Kathryn is my real name.

I had a pretty good workout today. 4 miles + 1/2 mile warm-up/cool down in 47 min. I'm feeling good about the Marathon - Today. It can change hourly.

I am following a book called the Non-Runner's guide to Maration Training. It was written by two college prof. who teach a marathon class. Each week is divided up into mental and physical training. I thought I would share some of the mental training techniques. They really help with the motivation and the long runs.

1. Have all of your friends and family ask you, on a daily basis, "Are you a marathoner?" You have to answer "Yes! I am a marathoner!"

2. Write a short paragraph about training, and then memorize it. Say it every morning when you get up, in the shower, while stopped at a red light, etc. And especially during your workouts.
For example - mine is "I am a marathoner. I love to run and finding time to run four days a week is easy. I look forward to every run, and I never quit before I finish my runs. I can do ALL things through Christ who strenghthens me. I am a marathoner."

3. Make a mental video tape of you crossing the finish line at Disney. You are strong, and happy, and not tired. Picture every last detail like what you will be wearing, what friends and family will be cheering you at the end, what the finish line will look like. Play back the "tape" when every you get tired during your training, or when you get nervous about the race.

Congrats to all who have been working so hard this week! I am so PROUD of you!

geetey
11-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Welcome Mary Kathryn!! :wave2:

Don't I feel bad posting after you. Your post is very inspirational!

Unfortunately I had a bad walk. A really bad walk. Has anyone had a walk so bad would wonder WHY you are even doing it?? That was my long walk. :( I walked 6 miles on Wednesday in 1 hr 55 mins. The first two miles were agony. My legs were screaming and my left ankle was killing me. I actually completed miles 3 & 4 in 35 mins total, for a 17.5 minute mile. I tried calling my dh at the end of mile 4, just to see if he would talk me out of finishing. He was away from his desk. :o I did finish all 6 miles, and did feel better at the end, versus the beginning, but it was a hard walk! It was a bad walk! I have never had one of those before and hope I *never, ever* have one of them again! :mad: Anyone know if this is just something that happens every once in a while?

Today I am going to do my Pilates. I think I need some core strengthening.

STILL no packet here.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

:bday: Jackie! :bday: Lisa!

TriMom
11-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Cheer Up greetey - It happens. Sometimes you just have really bad days. It was my seven mile before my 1/2 that was so horrible I honestly cried for 5 of those miles. Don't worry - your next long walk will be great!

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Lisa loves Pooh
11-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Team in Training finally registered the Team--YEAH!!!

Got my e-mail registration confirmation...so hopefully, I'll be seeing some sort of packet soon.

***If your confused as to why I wasn't registered yet--Team in Training gets alotted so many spots per race--they wait until recommitment--those who think they can do the race AND raise the money and sign their name away on paper--then they register us which has just happened.***

Geetey--good luck on your next workout--I had several days like that back in July--it became evident it was due to a yucky yucky cold that sidelined me for two weeks. Congrats on finishing the 6 miles--but listen to that body of yours :) Don't want to see you sidelined after all of your hard work!

ibouncetoo
11-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Terry. I am still celebrating, BTW. Going out for breakfast buffet on Sunday (all protien, no sweets) and then to see the Bridget Jones movie. I'm being taken out by PixieMagic who is also doing the 1/2, so there will be no 'cheating' food wise........but, there may be some 'special' coffee consumption ::yes:: That is provided I can walk Sunday as Saturday is my 6 mile day!

Went down to the gym at lunch and 'played around' with some weights....the girl who's going to show me the right way wasn't able to do it today, but we will do it next week.

Rachael, thanks for the info on WISHES.

We'll now I'm off to the trip planning boards to see if I can find out how much Mears is from the airport to Disney. Hope to be finalizing my dates and booking airlines soon.

Kimickey
11-12-2004, 01:47 AM
I CONFESS!!!

I had a very bad eatting today. First off I went to I-hop and had french toast...yes with margarine and syrup. Then I had Wendys for lunch Jr. Cheesburger Deluxe, French Fries, a five piece nugget and yes again a chocolate frosty. Then I really thirsty while out and instead of drinking water, I wanted to try the new Pepsi Holiday Spice. I drank the whole damn bottle. All of this I sucked in today are USELESS calories. I'm very mad at myself. And to top everything off NO I did not run or exercise today. I feel like a cow right now and my body is feeling very blah. My metabolism is going through the roof. I've been doing so well with no sugar, no red meat and no breads for the past two weeks. What went wrong today! I hate eating like I did today. Tomorrow will definitley be a different day. I need to scrub clean :mad:

Go ahead and flame me...I deserve it!

Debbie
11-12-2004, 06:53 AM
:wave2: Mary Kathryn. One of my favourite names-I wanted to name #5 that, but DH said "no Mary". So Molly Catherine-Molly Kate-it was. :cool: Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to use it this weekend. It's a busy one for me-report cards are due- but I want to find the hours to do my long walk.

Terry, ::yes:: we've all walked those walks. And the closer it gets the more I say, 22 KILOMETRES, just who am I kidding :confused: -especially since I've gained some weight!
But we can do it, hun. I know we can! We are strong, we're invincible, we're...crazy :teeth:

Lisa, it's so exciting to KNOW that you are REALLY going to do this...and that it is OFFICIAL!

Jackie, I think Mears is $26 return. Since I am flying solo. . .and the sisters' flight gets in so much earlier than mine, I'll be moving from MCO to WL on my own. Had a fleeting thought of using the Lynx, but I have determined that that is not a plan-I'll be too excited. I don't want to drive from the airport, so....Mears it'll have to be.

Kim-NO flames from me. I had a blast at our dinner last night. One of our staff was recognized as the city's elementary Coach of the Year, and my first principal here in London, was inducted into the city's Sports Hall of Fame. It was nice to be there for that event. And the food was FABULOUS. Hmmm. Guess I'll have to be sure to walk today! :hyper:

Have a great day everyone. TGIF

ibouncetoo
11-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Debbie
Jackie, I think Mears is $26 return. Since I am flying solo. . .and the sisters' flight gets in so much earlier than mine, I'll be moving from MCO to WL on my own. Had a fleeting thought of using the Lynx, but I have determined that that is not a plan-I'll be too excited. I don't want to drive from the airport, so....Mears it'll have to be.
[/COLOR] [/B]

Everything I've been reading is starting to freak me out about Mears....mostly the part that it takes about one hour longer than a taxi/towncar. That's waiting about 30 mins after you check in to get on their 'bus' and another 30 making more stops at the airport and multiple hotels. I'm thinking of springing for a town car, though for a single person it seems pricy. Maybe when my flights are booked, I'll post here (WISH board) and see if anyone is arriving the same date and nearly same time of day and would want to share.....a long shot, but not impossible. (How long are you staying......I'm thinking of upgrading to WL on Monday after the race and staying for a few more days? ....nice AP rate for them and AKL....must decide)

Kimickey....when tempted, I've started using the mantra, "I'm in training, I'm in training" It ALMOST worked last night, but I had some french fries anyway :crazy: It DID work when I was asked if I wanted any dessert though!:sunny:

KatieBelle
11-12-2004, 09:19 AM
I walked for 33 minutes last night. Today is my cross-training day. I am looking forward to the weekend.

Kim- You have been doing such a great job with your training that I would not let one day of french toast and frosty get you down. Today is a new day. princess:

maryliz
11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by KatieBelle

Kim- You have been doing such a great job with your training that I would not let one day of french toast and frosty get you down. Today is a new day. princess:

Well said ... I couldn't agree more!

Yesterday was a rest day for me, so I'm hoping for Curves tonight after work. I hate that it closes at 7PM on Fridays ... that's actually the one night that being open til 8 would benefit me greatly.

gotta do a loooonnnggg walk either Sat or Sun ...

Happy Friday everyone!

Mary-Liz

decaff38
11-12-2004, 12:39 PM
I've been bad! the last few days have been parent-teacher conferences at my school. Very stressful time since I am the Special Ed. Teacher and when a child is not making progress I get called in for expertise. I run all over the school(does that count as miles?) and have no set lunch or dinner. I had peanut M &Ms and a cheeseburger.(see Kimmickey - we all blow it occationally, at least we are aware we are blowing it) Today I am off so I am going to go for a WOG as soon as I finish this. I booked my car rental through National for 8 days @ 161.95. If I use the entertainment coupon , it might only be 141.95. I just need to get a place to stay and WDW passes. Am watching many sites and hoping for a great deal.
Yesterday my oldest turned 25. He is going to be so surprised when he finds out he is going to WDW.
Happy birthday to fellow Scorpios. I know how passionate you all are!!!
I'll be celbrating on the 21st.
Have a wonderful training weekend!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Oh Kimickey---sorry to hear about your eating woes--but Ibouncetoo and I appreciate you celebrating with us ;)

Just pick right up and start all over!!! You can do it.

GPS--two of my teammates have a Wrist GPS that they use for training..hubby was looking around for Christmas presents for me--started looking at running gadgets, especially the heart monitors. So I said--you know, a couple of the girls.....

So we found one that ended up being only $99.99 shipped with rebate--YEAH!!! And I won't have to wait until Christmas Day to use it ;)

maryliz
11-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Debbie
:wave2: Mary Kathryn. One of my favourite names-I wanted to name #5 that, but DH said "no Mary". So Molly Catherine-Molly Kate-it was. :cool:

What do you mean DH said "no Mary" ... just what does my dear BIL have against "Mary" in a person's name??? :scratchin I might just have to come over and :badpc: him. :teeth: Now I do have the rule that the "Liz or Elizabeth" must come after the Mary -- I do NOT answer to just the name "Mary".

I did manage to get to Curves tonight. :cheer2: for me! We have a Christmas party tomorrow night, so I think I will try to get at least 5 miles in tomorrow ... maybe further if the weather is co-operative.

Susan-Ontario is at the Contemporary for the weekend, and she promised to "check out the hill". I'll let you know!

Mary-Liz

TriMom
11-13-2004, 12:14 AM
. Now I do have the rule that the "Liz or Elizabeth" must come after the Mary -- I do NOT answer to just the name "Mary".

Mary-Liz - I couldn't agree more. Call me Mary Kathryn, call me MK, you can even call me Kat. But I will not answer to Mary

NancyK
11-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Good morning everyone!
I managed to get to Curves this morning and then followed it with a 40 minute walk. It's a bit chilly here today but at least there's no snow yet. Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
11-13-2004, 10:48 AM
GOOD to be back out walking this morning! My 2 week-off stint is behind me and I am NOW ready to get on with the training! My DH said I pushed it this AM - I really dont' feel like I did and I am feeling good - so I say it was just right (4.5 mi in a little over an hour). I tell you it was a confidence builder -my glutes/hamstring still "touchy" but I am just moving on ::yes::

Now for the reality - I felt like I was dragging my feet that were weighted down with concrete ! I am feeling "thick" too - my 2 weeks off walking was not 2 weeks of serious dieting! I kept thinking of Ibounce and how I needed to get some of that bounce today!

Anyway, good to get back into the "training" mode thinking!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Did my 14 miles today--YEAH!!! 2 hours 54 minutes 27 seconds--I was under 3 hours--so it looks like my marathon will be less than 6 hours.:Pinkbounc About a 12 and a half minute pace--though we had a few walk breaks that were a little longer than they should have been. :rolleyes1 Also, b/c there are 2 cross walks across a major street--we have to contend with that--so my warm up walk is over 5 minutes--and then there is a break on the return b/c there is a lot more traffic we have to wait for. So not so bad :) Plus we have to stop at our water stations--not like we can just toss the cups in the road for the clean up crew:teeth: I am very pleased, though!!

I don't know what my problem is--but my bagel wasn't agreeing with me today--and those gu packs--the vanilla one, I thought I was going to be sick--the berry one was okay--the chocolate, tasted like dark chocolate--a bit strong..but it went down better than the vanilla :) Glad I'm "practicing" with this now. ::yes::

Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend--I'm going to do my best to keep moving b/c that helps the body to process the lactic acid better ::yes:: .

Welcome back to training Grammy!!! Keep up the good work :)

decaff38
11-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Just back from a WOG of 2 miles. Last week I did a 10 K. Don't know if I could have done it today. Too many things swimming in my head right now. Here'a a new one for most of you. I usually don't wear a hat because I get too hot but today i had to because I couldn't find a blaze orange earband. It is hunting season here and if you are out in the country, you have to wear blaze orange or risk being mistaken for a deer. I've heard of a few runners having close calls. It is also 37 degrees so I wear a face mask or I get a case of the coughs for hours. Got to run my honey do it home with a list of together tasks. Keep up the great work.

maryliz
11-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Wow, LLP - 14 miles in under 3 hours! You rock! I hope you are very proud of yourself, 'cause I'm sure proud of you! ::yes:: I use the power gels, and as much as I'm not a huge fan of chocolate icing, I find that I like it much better than the vanilla flavoured one. I just find that one really, really gross.

Yeah, Grammy .... back on track! Do NOT overdo it, my friend. Your DH might have been right about the pace you were doing for your first time out ;)

I went out this morning and did 6.25 miles in 90 minutes. I was very pleased with that one. It was cold here today, but sunny and beautiful. The wind only bothered me a few times, for about 5 minutes each time.

NancyK - good for you for doing both Curves and a Walk :bounce:

Decaff -- do NOT get mistaken for a deer! I always find I do my best walks when I have too much swimming in my head because I tend to block it all out and just focus on my pace. Doesn't matter how far or how long you go, just that you go! You can always make up for "longer walks" later in the week.

Mary Kathryn ... glad to hear I'm not the only one in the world that feels this way about their name!

Have a super Saturday everyone!

Mary-Liz

ibouncetoo
11-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Well i BOUNCED ;) my way through 5 miles this morning. M4M calls for 6, but I'd been off training for several weeks (that cold) and didn't want to do too big a jump in miles all at once. Just don't anybody ask how long it took :rolleyes: I did add in a hill to my route, that I'll keep in on my 50/40/30 min. walks next week.

One of the things I was thinking about while walking, is to keep reminding myself that EATING and SLEEPING are also part of training! Food improved slightly this past week, but I can do way better ::yes:: I've been staying up late a bit too. So next week....7 hours sleep, three wholesome meals each day!

Hmmm.....maybe I'll go have a nap now.....OK AFTER the grocery store.

Oh, I forgot to ask: Does anyone know what kind of boat it is on the WISHES cruise? Is it pontoon like, or more like the Friendships on the Epcot/MGM run? It's not an issue of being enclosed, I'm looking for a smoooooth ride.

TriMom
11-13-2004, 02:53 PM
I did it!! I finished my 14 mile run today.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I had a time of 3:10 - which was off of my goal time of 2:45, but I'm still really happy. I wogged miles 10 and 11 with the thought of finishing the las 3 miles strong. I was doing really well until toward the end of mile 12 I go a hammy cramp. I finished up with a very funny looking walk, jog, cramp, stretch, walk jog cramp stretch. I think I would have done about a 2:50 if not for the hammy cramp.

Still the goal is to cross the marathon finish line - whether I run, walk, crawl or roll ;) So finishing the 14 miles was the accomplishment in itself.

In the car on the way home I realized that the last time I ran this far, someone gave me a medal, and my friends all took me out for lunch and margaitas. Oh well - there will be pleanty of celebrating on Jan. 9 and the whole following week.

Lisa - great job on your run - now if I could not feel jealous about your great time :p

ibounce - good call on the taking it easy - over doing yourself today could have caused more time off.

MaryLiz - I'm so glad your feeling good about your workout today. Your almost 1/2 way to the finish!

decaff - I understand about the things swimmming in your head, it's just so hard to concentrate on running when my mind is full. Today I battled having the Higgly Town Heroes theme song looping through my head - the joys of having a 1 yr old.

Have a great Day!!!!

ohMom
11-13-2004, 06:51 PM
everyone sounds so awesome to me today :) "eating and sleeping are a part of training" LOVE THAT!!

we just cruised in from a long day out and about in Columbus, shopping and then eating out at Champps and then seeing The Incredibles -- feeling a bit 'mooish' myself - tomorrow i'll do better :) just one big meal today though, that's enough!

i did 7 miles this morning in 1.5 hours (jogging some) and my legs were feeling it by the end. I did have my first powergel at mile 4 (vanilla - not to horrid really) and I do think it warded off the sluggish feeling I tend to get

i came home and looked at my WDW 1/2 map and realized I didn't even make it to WL yet! oh my!!

have a great weekend everyone!

geetey
11-13-2004, 09:14 PM
Sorry I don't have time to read all of the previous posts, but I wanted to report in. I did my 40 minutes (plus 5 warm up, 5 cool down) on the treadmill this morning. I can't help it -- I am getting frustrated. It seems my time is getting worse, rather than better.

For those working with trainers, does anyone know why I am getting terrible pain in my calves/ankles? Not shin splint pain (I have had those before). It is almost enough to make me stop - it hurts that bad - but if I push through it for 1 1/2 - 2 miles, everything works loose and feels okay. I am fine afterwards as well.

HELP! I need to get this fixed so I can move forward in my training!!

decaff38
11-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Second Post today,

LLp and Trimom - WOWEEE!! 14 miles , all in one strech. I haven't even got to 8 yet. I'm so impressed with you both!!

Ibounce and Grammy: Taking it easy is the smartest thing to do. Never push through pain that feels like an injury. You will pay for it later. Good for both of you for toughing it out.

Maryliz - Thanks for the encouragement! I need every bit it cna get!! I like the mary names(all of them in any configuation) . They just seem so kind!!

Well, i finished about 2 miles this morning and thought i was done exercising for the day. That list from my DH. Shoveling 2 yards of black dirt and hauling and stacking 2 cords of firewood for the fire pit. (Love working together) We are having Thanksgiving at our house. (30 people) Half will stay here and 1/2 will stay at my sisters. We always have a fire when ever we all get together so we needed to get the fire pit ready. Hope the weather holds for us. I have a 5K on the next day. It could be snowing sideways in this country.

Tomorrow we work on the family room(lights, hang pictures, etc...) and watch our Minnesota Vikings play wearing our Purple and Gold!!

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!!:wave2: :sunny:

PS: Anyone's feet go numb(not cold numb) after the first couple of miles? I ran the last 4 miles of my 10k with numb stumps. A few minutes after i finished, it was gone. I have moved my lace ties around and losening my laces. I am so baffled.

Cheryl N. WI
11-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Today I only had time to get in a short walk, about 45 min. Wow at one time 45 min would have seemed looong, now 45-60 min is my short walk. I guess that is progress! It was cold when I walked, only 41 out, and I didn't really feel like getting out there but I thought about all of you guys and out I went, so Thank You for motivating me. I have been really watching what and how much I eat this week and I was so happy when I stepped on the scale this morning and it went down 2 pounds so I am finally wearing my 5 pound clippie for the first time in many months :D

Lisa My foot roller came in the mail today and I used it after my walk. Your right it does feel great and hopefully tomorrow morning when I first get up my feet won't feel so sore and stiff.
Congrats on getting in 14 miles in less than 3 hours, that is AWESOME!

Welcome back to training Grammy. Remember to ease back in, you don't want to overdo it and reingure that hammy. have you looked into wearing something "tight" to give the hamstrings support when you walk? I actually bought something made by Leggs tonight at Target that I am going to try next time I walk especially if it is cold, it is called Body Beautiful Smoothers Long Leg Capri. I have read that suppotring the muscles and keeping them warm can help prevent injury.

Maryliz Great time on your 6.25 miles!!! The cold is getting to be a challenge isn't it? One day I came home 3 different times to before i finally had the right layers for my walk lol.

ibounce Ease back in after being sick. You are doing good just to get out there for 5 miles after being sick. Your right sleep definitely is important, especially when you've been sick!

TriMom Great job 14 miles in 3:10!!! You will definitely finish the marathon in time!!!!

Molli Don't worry about that 1 big meal today, like you said it was 1 meal and tomorrow is another new day. You can do this!! 7 miles in 1.5 hours is an awesome time!! How was The Incredibles??? We are planning on seeing it on the Magic if we have time!

Geetey Don't give up!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!! Maybe you are pushing too hard and you need to slow down a little until you are better warmed up?

decaff It sounds like you had another busy day! You did 2 miles and some drosstraining with that wood. I got a chuckle whenyou mentioned needing your blaze orange headband so you wouldn't be mistaken for a deer. A few weeks ago I was visisting ny sister in northern WI and they had a special hunt weekend and she wouldn't let me walk outside because she didn't want me to be mistaken for a deer either, not even walking along the road, so I had to use their treadmill.

Keep up all the great work everyone!!!! Keep on moving!
Have a great Sunday!

Cheryl

Lisa loves Pooh
11-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Well we went to the Magic Kingdom after my run yesterday--they always say keep moving and don't sit still. I iced both legs after the run and again when I got home last night from Disney--and sure enough, I am not in as much pain as after my 12 mile run when I sat on my duff all day before going to the Halloween Party and not icing (except for a small icepack for 20 minutes). My legs today feel like heaven compared to 2 weeks ago--can you say OUCH?

Decaff--Being mistaken for a deer would be enough for to not want to go out!!! Kudos for you keeping up--Have you tried those orange reflective vests--I know they sell bright yellow for outdoor athletes, but I might have seen orange as well--I'd be wearing all orange :hyper:

Maryliz--yes I'm proud of that time--my goal was to beat 3 hours...but one of our fast starters slows about half way through--so I had a running buddy. Only we talk to much so the breaks were too long :yo-yo:
I am most impressed with you and everyone who works out in the chilly temperatures. I think I am 86-ing the vanilla gels and using the berry flavors and the chocolate for the pick me up boost.

IBounce--I need to watch my eating too--I ate pretty crappy yesterday--so back to healthy today :)

Tri-Mom--that's a good time--though I must relish that someone likes my time better ;) I'm always the pokey one ::yes:: I started earlier yesterday and still got passed by people--I only passed the walkers who started ahead of me :teeth:

Geetey--Do you have any idea what caused this pain? Like sudden mileage increase, improper stretching, or needing new shoes? Remedies: freeze some dixie cups with ice--and start icing though sore spots with that ice until the ice is gone (1 cup, I mean). Do this after all workouts, even if the pain is minor or not at all for the next several workouts. Also--how old are your shoes. I was running fine a couple of times, but on my older shoes--I started getting the pains on the mileage increase. The pains were a sign of needing new shoes. Additonally--spell the alphabet with your feet each day (all 26 letters EACH foot)...it will strengthen the muscles in that area. I do agree--if it feels injured as opposed to just "workout" pain--then don't push yourself through it--better to ease up and let it heal and then back to it.

Cheryl--enjoy the foot roller--I take it with me to my long run trainings...as soon as I am finished--shoes are off and I do my feet even before I stretch (b/c my feet need the TLC at that point :hyper: ).