PDA

View Full Version : Luggage, weight

nana2tots
11-05-2004, 08:27 AM
:wave: Can someone tell me what the pieces of luggage should weigh, per person, and how many pieces are allowed per person, oh by the way, that would be for Independence flight. Thanks nana2tots:wave:

Miss Kelly
11-05-2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.flyi.com/too-travel_policies.htm#baggage_policies

Have a great flight! :sunny:

nana2tots
11-05-2004, 09:01 AM
:earsgirl: Thanks!!!!!!!nana2tots

CMKN
11-05-2004, 09:06 AM
nana2tots,

I can only speak in reference to our trip last week on Delta Song. For our flights, each ticket holder was allowed three bags and the weight for each bag was not to exceed 50lbs each. Each airline is different.

HookedOnDiz
11-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Ou bags are usually REALLY heavy, but we find that if you have the skycap check your luggage for you the airline will look the other way on the weight. We usually tip $10 to have them move our bags from the curb to the counter and have never had a problem.

Buttercup26
11-05-2004, 03:30 PM
I travel a lot and most airlines have a 50lb limit on bags. I always have a heavy bag (lots of files, etc.. in addition to personal stuff).

I never used to have a problem, but in the last 6 months or so I have had to pay for overweight bags a few times, on different airlines. It depends on the airline and the person checking you in, but they do seem to be more concerned about it now than previously.

The last few trips I have checked two small bags rather than one larger bag. It's a little harder to deal with getting too and from the airport, I always have my laptop too, but it's better than the fees (I have paid anywhere from $25 - $60) for the overweight bag.

safetymom
11-05-2004, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't count on just tipping more to the skycap to overlook an overweight bag. If you have to take it to the counter you will be charged. It does happen.

CarolA
11-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I am with SafetyMom. The tipping idea is dangerous. If your flight is delayed or something you could easily wind up at the counter where you will be charged.

KaylaKristen
11-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Just returned from WDW on Southwest and we did curb side check in and we tipped the man. He came running after us through the Airport to tell us, one of our bags was 18lbs over weight, and we would have to bring it inside and pay $45. So we started moving clothes and shoes etc. from one bag to another and carried on more than I planned on to the plane. Yes this was all done on the side walk of the the Airport. It was like playing a game, the Heavy suitcase was on the Scale and the Baggage Man was telling me how the weight was decreasing as I took things out. It was a pain but I did not want to pay the $ 45. I believe it is anything over 70lbs you have to pay our make lighter.

safetymom
11-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Keep in mind that some airlines you are only allowed 50 lbs. in each suitcase. Be sure to visit the website of your airline.

CarolA
11-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Just out of curiosity. How do you even lift a 88 lb suitcase?

I had one today I thought weighed a ton. It weight 37.5 lbs on the scale. That appears to be about my limit.

KaylaKristen
11-05-2004, 08:56 PM
I know it is crazy 88lbs. But it was on wheels and my husband did lift it to put in the car and he said what do you have in here a person? and then we just pulled it on the wheels.

HookedOnDiz
11-06-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by safetymom
I wouldn't count on just tipping more to the skycap to overlook an overweight bag. If you have to take it to the counter you will be charged. It does happen.

I can only speak to our experience and we have not had a problem... our bags are overweight just about every trip and we haven't had to pay any additional money. Getting the skycap to bring the bags to counter usually results in the bags not even getting weighed - the ticket agent asks the skycap if the bags "feel" too heavy and they always tell them no - I'm sure because we just tipped him. Certainly not a foolproof system, but it has worked so many times for us that we are way ahead of the game... so even if they make us pay extra the next 5 trips we have still saved a decent amount of money.