PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Holiday Food Ideas

tw1nsmom
11-05-2004, 06:44 AM
I thought it might be a good idea if we shared some of our healthy holiday recipes/food ideas. We can't always control the food we confront at parties, but we can partially control what gets served in our homes.

My ideas: (I'm doing South Beach)
-crustless pumpkin custard made with Splenda
-baked apples w/Splenda instead of apple pie
-use sliced european cucumbers instead of crackers to put different toppings/low fat cheese spreads on (laughing cow light is great on these)
-Pureed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes (these don't taste just like mashed potatoes, put are very yummy....adding a little fat-free ricotta makes them taste a little more potato like)

What are your ideas?

newholiday
11-05-2004, 08:09 AM
low fat cheese & either low fat or low sodium crackers
low fat pretzels
shrimp

Tiger Lily 03
11-06-2004, 01:55 PM
This may not sound as decadent, because it is such a a standard. I love the sugar free jello with whipped cream. Some frozen berries may be added too if desired. (I don't always thaw them before I eat them.)

tw1nsmom
11-06-2004, 04:51 PM
newholiday - Shrimp is a favorite in our house. If it's not snowing, DH puts them on skewers, marinades them in a ginger lime dressing at cooks them on the grill...YUM!

Tiger Lilly 03 - I'm not usually a big fan of jello, but last year I found sugar free cranberry jello and it was sooo good. Right now I'm totally into frozen raspberries with a little lite cool whip on them.

sm4987
11-07-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm looking into an almond flour pound cake plus some receipes for brownies and making my own ice cream.

Turkey of couse and lots, and lots of veggies. The bread basket probably will not be served in my house this year. I've come to far to kill my progress for a day:teeth:

SnackyStacky
11-07-2004, 08:24 PM
For anyone who is interested, I have a recipe for a crustless pumpkin. It is made with Splenda, but I don't think Atkins or South Beach allows for pumpkin. For WWers, the WHOLE pie is 8 points, AND it's a core food. If anyone wants me to share the recipe, I will.

Also, for a great low-point cake (again for WWers), take any cake mix, dump in a 12-oz can of diet soda (any flavor), mix and bake according to package directions. Points may vary by variety, but the chocolate cake I made had 3 points for 1/12th.

One of my favorite low point hor d'oeuvres is to mix 1 part fat free cream cheese to 1 part regular cream cheese. Spread it on a piece of boiled ham, and roll it up. YUM! (You can use all FF cream cheese, but I don't like it, so I cut it with some regular)

Kristi1357
11-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by SnackyStacky
For anyone who is interested, I have a recipe for a crustless pumpkin. It is made with Splenda, but I don't think Atkins or South Beach allows for pumpkin. For WWers, the WHOLE pie is 8 points, AND it's a core food. If anyone wants me to share the recipe, I will.

I'd love that recipe, SnackyStacky! I usually don't cook/bake, but I'm trying since eating out at Applebees or eating frozen dinners all the time is getting really expensive!

Maybe I'll shock my family and actually make something to bring on Turkey Day! :eek: :D

Also, at my WW meeting last week - they were talking about making a cake, but adding one can of pumpkin instead of the other ingredients (like the diet coke idea). Anyone heard of this & did I hear it correctly?

TIA!
Kristi

plutosmyfav
11-10-2004, 09:09 AM
This is a great thread! Thanks everyone! I'm going to try these ideas-- yum::yes::

SnackyStacky
11-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Kristi1357
I'd love that recipe, SnackyStacky! I usually don't cook/bake, but I'm trying since eating out at Applebees or eating frozen dinners all the time is getting really expensive!

Maybe I'll shock my family and actually make something to bring on Turkey Day! :eek: :D

Also, at my WW meeting last week - they were talking about making a cake, but adding one can of pumpkin instead of the other ingredients (like the diet coke idea). Anyone heard of this & did I hear it correctly?

TIA!
Kristi

Kristi - I heard of that. I'll E-Mail the woman I work with - she's always giving it to the members!!!

Here's the Crustless Pumpkin Pie recipe:

15 oz. can pumpkin
1 can evaporated fat free skim milk
3/4 c egg beaters
3/4 c Splenda
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all together
Put it in a Pam-sprayed pie plate

Bake for 15 min at 400 degrees,
Reduce the heat to 350 degrees, and bake for another 45 minutes.

CookieGVB
11-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Great recipe! I think we'll be trying that out on Thanksgiving.

Saw this recipe for low fat "key lime pie"

1 box lime sugar-free jello
2 6 oz containers fat free lime yogurt
1 8 oz container fat free Cool Whip
1 reduced fat graham cracker crust

Add 1/3 cup boiling water to lime jello. Stir until completely dissolved and cool.

Add 2 containers of yogurt; stir together

Fold in container of Cool Whip

Pour into reduced fat crust - Chill 2 hours.

Each serving - 3 points.

We've done this with different flavors of jello/yogurt, and it's delicious!

We've also done brownies with unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil, and even the kids love them.

Edited to change the point value - it's only 3 points - not 4 :)

disneyfan551
11-10-2004, 03:32 PM
SnackyStacky... Just curious about the diet soda/cake mix. When you add the soda, are you then to omit the oil & eggs? Or bake according to the directions, as you mentioned?

Thanks! :D

SnackyStacky
11-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by disneyfan551
SnackyStacky... Just curious about the diet soda/cake mix. When you add the soda, are you then to omit the oil & eggs? Or bake according to the directions, as you mentioned?

Thanks! :D

That's right! It's just the cake mix and a can of soda. No oil, no eggs.....

Bake according to the package directions!

Kristi1357
11-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks Dan!