PDA

View Full Version : Any Stores Open Christmas Day?

Pokemom
11-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know if any grocery stores, Wal-Mart, or Target are open on Xmas Day? We are leaving WDW on Dec. 25 for a week at a condo on the beach and would like to pick up a few groceries on the way.

safetymom
11-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I know Wal Mart closes on Christmas Day. I would buy your supplies the day before. Those workers deserve the day off with their families.

MateasMom
11-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by safetymom
Those workers deserve the day off with their families.

Alot of employees BEG for the chance to work a holiday. Many retail employees NEED to work, regardless of what day it is, and working a holiday (extra pay) is often sought after. Where my husband works (and these are people that DONT need the money to make ends meet....but would just like the chance for the overtime) they have to lottery who GETS the holidays because so many people want to work them.

OP...at least around here, Kmart is open on Christmas. Thats the only 'big box' chain I can think of. I'm sure the grocery stores aren't the same as ours on the west coast...so I'm no help there.

imsayin
11-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Those workers deserve the day off with their families.

Well, it's not a holiday celebrated by all, so I think some people don't mind working.

safetymom
11-03-2004, 09:18 PM
I worked retail for many many years and still know lots of people that do. Christmas is one of the days they enjoy knowing that they have the day off.

You could have a store open 23 hours a day and there still would be someone complaining that it wasn't open when they needed it.

I liked it when the stores closed on Sundays and holidays. Have you every worked on a holiday and seen what people came in to buy? Nothing that they couldn't have picked up some other day.

I don't care to debate this I was just stating my opinion like you have stated yours.

dan and scott
11-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Beleive me most employees love to have the day off--I've worked retail 22yrs in the grocery business.
After keeping the shelves stocked and fruit baskets made --which is not easy trying to keep everything in stock.
Working in a store that is open 24/7 I think 1 out of 2 days the store is closed a year shouldn't be asking to much.
I work every holiday including thanksgiving,july4, memorial/labor day.
I do appreciate my job AND would work Christmas/Easter if I had too.
Although Dan and I use it as a worry free day off it is nice to know that I can "shut down" twice ayear and not worry about the store.

Scott

MateasMom
11-03-2004, 09:57 PM
I wasn't looking for a debate either. Honestly...I was just stating what I've seen in my experiance.

I worked retail for years as well. I worked at Target. I didn't work because I enjoyed it or needed something to do with my time, I worked there because we *needed* the money to make ends meet. Without that money, we couldn't pay the rent. Most of my fellow employees, especially lower level employees, were in similar financial situations. I can't remember a single holiday (Target isn't open Christmas...) where there weren't people asking for the overtime. It was a great day to work. Getting paid overtime for the same shift you would have been paid regular time for otherwise, very few shoppers, so a nice slow pace. 'Corporate' didn't work those days, so no real 'projects'. I made time for my family around my work schedule. Like I said earlier....my DH begs for holiday hours, and we work around his schedule. Thanksgiving dinner will be a Thanksgiving brunch because he was able to schedule a swing shift for that day.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-04-2004, 06:07 AM
Walmart is open 24/7 through the holidays--but will close sometime on Christmas eve and reopen Dec 26th.

Target is usually closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

Publix is usually closed on Christmas.

Winn Dixie stores are open on Thanksgiving (some) but closed on Christmas usually.

I would purchase what you can even before Christmas Eve--and then purchase what you have to on Christmas Eve (stores are mobbed with last minute shoppers).

You can always look up store locations on the internet (go to Target or Wal-Mart.com) and then you can call the stores personally to find out specific hours.

A refrigerator cooler (walmart ~$70) with a frozen soda bottle will keep your colds cold enough for your trip. Might be worth the investment so you don't spend your vacation catching the grocery stores.

Pokemom
11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Didn't mean to start a debate - I also think employees deserve the day off. We are a group of 20 travelling that day and just thought if something was open, we could pick up some fresh items (milk, turkey, etc.) on the way. I think we'll invest in a cooler and send someone on a shopping trip a day or two before.