PDA

View Full Version : Milk Spilled in Car

dizcrazy
11-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Help!!!!

DD's sippy cup must have fallen and slid under the driver seat in the car, unbeknownst to me!

Wellllllll, a few later, the milk is now sour and the car is stinking from the spilled milk. (INSERT CRYING OVER SPILLED MILK COMMENTS HERE)

Any ideas how to get this odor out of the car? I tried scrubbing the spot with carpet cleaner and the car still reeks.

HEEEELLLLPPP!!!!

many thnaks! :wave:

Brian Noble
11-02-2004, 10:48 AM
This is a tough one to clean. I had the same thing happen in a carseat, and had to remove the cloth covering---the milk had seeped through and made "cheese" underneath the cloth. My guess is that you will have ot get underneath the carpeting to clean this one up. Have your dealer or favorite service station show you how to remove the carpet in a way that allows you to put it back on.

mrskay9
11-02-2004, 11:40 AM
The only other things I might try is maybe those rental carpet cleaners you rent from grocery stores?

Or a steam cleaner

and lots of febreeze.

maybe oxyclean?

good luck!

Buttercup26
11-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Try a mixture of 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup hot water. I have used this mixture to get chocolate milk, pet stains, etc... out of my carpet at home. It really seems to get the stain and odor. I use a spray bottle (don't fill the bottle too full, it's a very fizzy mixture) and spray it on the stain, let it sit for a few minutes and then blot it up with an absorbent towel or rug. This mixtue has never discolored my carpet, but Oxyclean has, so be careful if you try that.

ibleedblue
11-02-2004, 12:31 PM
We found some stuff called Totally Toddler in the baby section at Wal-Mart that does a really good job of removing stains and odors. I don't know if it will get rid of the spoiled milk smell though. I'd be worried that the milk seeped through the carpet and has 'cheesed' up on the floorboard. If that's the case, you're going to have to pull the carpet up. It's not that hard of a job.

drumflower
11-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Buy some of that pet stain cleaner that has enzyms in it to "eat the milk". Then I would use Frebrez stuff to freshen. It might take time, but it will work! Good luck!

MCazer
11-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Just and FYI, I was at Target yesterday and they had a new Febreeze for Cars!

summerrluvv
11-02-2004, 02:48 PM
I had this happen before. I didn't know where the milk was spilled though because there was no visible stain, but I knew it was spilled somewhere since there was a milk sippy in the car. The smell evenutally went away. Try some febreeze under the seat or Natures Miracle. You have to saturate it though, not just lightly spray it.

DianaPrincessofWales
11-02-2004, 02:49 PM
I'd go with the vinegar! Dilute it and soak the area well, I would think the smell would wash away and its a natural cleanser with no chemicals so I don't think it would leave any stain. I know.......ICK!

Where's Martha Stewart when you need her?:rolleyes1

summerrluvv
11-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DianaPrincessofWales
I'd go with the vinegar! Dilute it and soak the area well, I would think the smell would wash away and its a natural cleanser with no chemicals so I don't think it would leave any stain. I know.......ICK!

Where's Martha Stewart when you need her?:rolleyes1

I tried the vinegar thing when my son peed on the carpet. Unfortunately it didn't take the smell away and my house smelled like a salad for weeks! LOL

cra-z-4-dizney
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by summerrluvv
I tried the vinegar thing when my son peed on the carpet. Unfortunately it didn't take the smell away and my house smelled like a salad for weeks! LOL

:laughing: :rotfl: :laughing: :rotfl: :laughing: :rotfl: :laughing: :rotfl:

sskem96
11-02-2004, 08:56 PM
I've had this happen many times as my kids always throw their cups on the floor in the car and never bring them in. You need to use a carpet shampooer (sp?) so you can clean the area and then vacuum out the dirty water. Repeat several times. Spray some Oust in the car to get rid of the smell if it has invaded the whole car.

dizcrazy
11-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Thanks for all of the replies!

I'll try the dilluted vinegar tonight, and will also go out and get some Febreeze or Totally Toddler.

Until then - I spray Oust and drive quickly! LOL

CherylA
11-03-2004, 10:28 AM
I've had this happen multiple times, I use soap and water a few times then make a paste out of baking soda and water and spread it on and leave it there for a few days until it dries and vacuum it out then reapply if it still smells.

beaglebiz
11-03-2004, 05:23 PM
We have a shampooer at out local do it yourself car wash...id do that really well, allow it to dry out completely, and if it is still stinky, cover liberally with cat litter, allow to sit for a few days and vac out...