PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Shopping for the kids...must have toys of the season...Dora anyone?

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Okay--we did our Christmas list window shopping.

At one point DD4 wanted the Dora Dollhouse--luckily she has changed her mind. I have not heard of the dollhouse until very recently--and find it hard to believe that Fisher Price poorly planned--b/c you can't find the furniture except on E-bay and after you consider e-bay prices plus shipping--it costs twice as much as it would at Toys R us if they had it.

So any of you E-bayers out there--this could be a hot one--if you can locate any Dora furniture sets in any of your Wal-marts, Targets or Toys R Us--snatch them and sell them on-line--people are bidding like crazy--if anything--you will at least make $5 just on the s/h alone.

DD has decided she wants the dress up Dora--and with that--the PJs are becoming hard to finds--I snatched the only two at our Toys R Us today.

This will certainly be a crazy Christmas!

Anybody know what the other must haves are for the season? I'm thinking E-bay is calling my name :hyper:

cl1067
11-01-2004, 03:02 PM
We have done our Christmas window shopping too...DD3 walked down the isles of Toys R Us and pointed at each thing, saying she wanted one of them! Thankfully she really started looking and decided she wants the Sweet Streets sets.

The big thing this year is for DD8 is the My Video Now. The thing is that it just seems expensive for something that only plays certain videos. I'm sure we will end up getting it, but I did for a minute think about buying them a portable DVD player...anyone have any thoughts on that?

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't understand what "My video Now" is. Can you explain it more?

summerrluvv
11-01-2004, 03:40 PM
It's actually called "Video Now" and comes in color this year (last year it was black and white). It's a portable dvd player for kids and only plays the special Video Now discs. It's about the size of a leapster, although the screen looks to be a tad smaller. Toysrus.com has them on their site if you want to check it out.

Jenny0725
11-01-2004, 03:49 PM
GREAT! My 2 yr old DD wants the Dora doll house! Guess I better start looking for it.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Jenny0725
GREAT! My 2 yr old DD wants the Dora doll house! Guess I better start looking for it.

I'd get on e-bay right now for the furniture..there was a link on someones post that says buy it now in my e-bay store for $81.99...s/h is $12. I was on her link to buy it for about $88 and she had this direct link that doesn't show up in the regular auctions. She/he has 5 sets for $81.99. Then at toysrus.com or at the store--you can get the house for $45 and the family at toysus.com for $19.99 (buy the house as well and get free shipping). The prices will only get worse b/c the supply is so low on this product.

This is better than trying to win the other auctions for the all inclusive set (auctions are running about $150-$60 before s/h).

Evidently the bathroom and kitchen furniture is the hardest to come by--the best deal is to buy the 5 rooms as a set off of e-bay. Good luck! The auctioneer for $81.99--has 99.8% positive--her only negative feedbacks was from someone who complianed about high s/h. Sellers reply was that it was as posted.--she has well over 1000 positives.

(DD4 wants that Barbie princess and the pauper dream house--but that will have to wait until next year perhaps!!!).

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Jenny0725

I sent you a PM--hop on it today--this is the best "deal" I found--in other words, you won't get taken to the cleaners as much as if you wait a little bit.

I am in no way related to any ebayers selling this product--just saw it last night and cannot believe fisher price is marketing a nearly empty house and no accessories are to be found.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by cl1067
We have done our Christmas window shopping too...DD3 walked down the isles of Toys R Us and pointed at each thing, saying she wanted one of them! Thankfully she really started looking and decided she wants the Sweet Streets sets.

The big thing this year is for DD8 is the My Video Now. The thing is that it just seems expensive for something that only plays certain videos. I'm sure we will end up getting it, but I did for a minute think about buying them a portable DVD player...anyone have any thoughts on that?

I think it would be more cool to have a portable DVD player!! Then in the beginning you won't have to buy movies if your budget is limited. $63 for an item with a limited library sounds just too gimmicky for me.

It is a tuffy though---with an 8 year old--I remember Christmasses where I didn't get a single thing on the list despite getting really awesome gifts--I was bummed a little, but I did play with the toys I get. DD might be a shade disappointed, but when she can watch her fave shows--she'll feel better--and one day when you have a read/writable dvd player--there will be the day where she can record her favorite shows and play them.

Good luck!

Disneyland_emily
11-01-2004, 04:53 PM
That soo explains why suddenly we had a lot of those at work and now we dont- I'll see what I can do to order them tomorrow and if its successful I may have to play secret santa to a bunch of kids-

I know we have a bunch of the houses for 49.something

-em

MommyBoo!
11-01-2004, 06:30 PM
You can order some of the sets directly from the Fisher Price website.

Edited to add the link:

FP Dora (http://www.fisher-pricestore.com/fpecom/plsql/fp_select.main?id=67249&section_in=PRE_IN)

summerrluvv
11-01-2004, 06:58 PM
TRU had a buy one get one free sale a few weeks ago and the actual dollhouse was included. I think that's where a lot of the ebay ones came from (the freebie the person didn't want).

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 07:23 PM
So you could buy 2 dollhouses for the price of 1? That is a deal--maybe they were offloading inventory since there isn't a whole lot of furniture :)

You will need any kind of set to go with the doll house though--or just purchase other doll furniture. The house is relatively empty without it.

I soo don't like this aspect of Christmas--trying to figure out what your kids will want--I feel so bad for materializing it and taking my kids now to see what they want--but I'd rather spend my money wisely on something they want to play with instead of bunches of different things that will just sit forgotten on the shelf next year. Worked well last year and it seems it will work well this year. Kids don't watch commercial television, so we go into the store and talk about what they'll ask for. I had to add in that we couldn't ask Santa for much b/c lots of kids lots their toys in the hurricanes and he would be really busy trying to replace their toys as well and not just getting our kids new toys. We also limit her requests to Santa to 1 or 2 items--and then he'll take it from there.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by MommyBoo!
You can order some of the sets directly from the Fisher Price website.

All I saw was places to click on that said where to buy--nothing to purchase directly from Fisher Price.

summerrluvv
11-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Lisa loves Pooh
So you could buy 2 dollhouses for the price of 1? That is a deal--maybe they were offloading inventory since there isn't a whole lot of furniture :)

It was actually all the Fisher Price dollhouse (Loving Family, etc.)stuff that was buy one get one free and then Dora items were buy one get one free too, so people were getting 2 dollhouses and another dora item for the price of one dollhouse!!

believe
11-01-2004, 07:37 PM
As of Saturday our TRU has the house and furniture. The only room currently not available is the bathroom. The house is $5 cheaper online than in the stores. I am waiting for free shipping. The house is poorly designed since you can't store the furniture in the house when closed up.

MommyBoo!
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Lisa loves Pooh
All I saw was places to click on that said where to buy--nothing to purchase directly from Fisher Price.

Here's the link:

FP Dora (http://www.fisher-pricestore.com/fpecom/plsql/fp_select.main?id=67249&section_in=PRE_IN)

I just ordered some Little People stuff from them. Luckily, my youngest is not into Dora yet.

JoiseyMom
11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
You can but it from fisherprice.com. It is available as of December 10. http://www.fisher-pricestore.com/fpecom/plsql/fp1.pdisp?catid=67249&groupid=84042
This is the link for the bedroom furniture.

Just wait and the stores will have it.

J/T Gramdma
11-02-2004, 02:29 AM
The Target Christmas Catalog was delivered to us in the mail today and the Dora house was in it for 49.99 and the acc are advertised as avail for 4.79 and9.79. good luck to those who are looking.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2004, 05:03 AM
Excellent--the hard to find bathroom is on the FP web-site--you guys are awesome...

Looks once again that the E-bayers are trying to snooker us again :)

Daughter definitely wants the dress up dora and a new kitchen though--but glad to see that the house and full contents are available.

Forget my e-bay suggestions--go on-line to FP to order the furniture!!! You will save lots a money.

Glad I posted and all you wonderful budgeteers could point me in the right direction!

Jenny0725
11-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all the info on the Dora house and furniture! I'm going to check my local Target and TRU this week!

cinmell
11-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Target and Toys R Us had a few sets this morning in Boston. Each store had a couple kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and living rooms.