PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Training thread for November 1-7

karebear1
11-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Good Monday everyone!

For those joining me in the "Now Sweets until Thanksgiving Challenge".........
WE START TODAY! Only natural fruit everyone. We can do this for 3 little weeks! LET"S GO!

I'm hoping this will push me into weight loss mode again. Gotta get moving again on that front.

Today I have to walk 6 miles- I was so busy yesterday, I didn't have time to walk, but I'll get it done today. NO record time planned for me though- I just want to get it done. I might even do 7.

10 weeks minus 1 day left..........

I think it's time to get VERY serious!

Auntmeme
11-01-2004, 12:50 PM
HAPPY MONDAY:wave2:

Hi Karen is that a subconcious mistake? NO candy till 11/25 - thanks I'm with you! I was going to bite into something and remembered our goal so I ate an atkins endulge pb cup - not the same but it'll do.

First just want to remind everyone to VOTE tomorrow:earseek: please take the time - this is a very important election & we are very lucky to have the right to vote!

OK - I ate so much junk this weekend and it's tom so I've been crazy :crazy: with my food choices. I did walk 2.3 on sat & 5.3 on sun. We have gorgeous weather:sunny: to take advantage of.

did everyone get an email with marathon info? anyone buy a shirt? I didn't see 1/2 marathon did I miss it? Going back to read last weeks thread.

Keep training:yo-yo:

geetey
11-01-2004, 12:55 PM
I am in, Karen! No sweets here! (Well, there is that HUGE bowl of candy, the 2 trick or treat bags, and more leftovers, but none of it is for m*e!) :crazy2:

Today is my rest day. Yesterday was crosstraining. I did the 3 mile WATP. Hey - that was harder/faster than I remember!

It is time to get VERY serious for me!! My 'fast' pace seems to be everyone else's slow pace! :eek: I need to figure out how to increase my pace without killing myself. Any tips appreciated! ::yes::

RachelQ - I will look through my emails and see if I can find the newsletters you are looking for. I will PM you if I find them.

Did everyone get the newletter this morning? They have created a new web address for the marathon. www.disneyworldmarathon.com

geetey
11-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the election reminder, MeMe. It is weighing heavily on dh and my mind because we haven't received our voter cards yet! :earseek: We both registered when we moved (more than the required days before an election). DH has received a letter notifying that his card would arrive 7 days before the election. I got noting. :( Today is our last day for the mail to bring something, otherwise we will just pick a polling place and see if we are on their list and where we should go. Let's hope that works. We don't want to be shut out! :mad:

I haven't purchased a shirt because I can't find a half one. I am hopeful there will be some available in WDW. Also, last June, at the Outlets, we saw several styles of Marathon shirts from 2004. I liked the one that said... I Did It! Hopefully a similar design will be available this year as well. ::MickeyMo

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by geetey
I am in, Karen! No sweets here! (Well, there is that HUGE bowl of candy, the 2 trick or treat bags, and more leftovers, but none of it is for m*e!) :crazy2:

Today is my rest day. Yesterday was crosstraining. I did the 3 mile WATP. Hey - that was harder/faster than I remember!

It is time to get VERY serious for me!! My 'fast' pace seems to be everyone else's slow pace! :eek: I need to figure out how to increase my pace without killing myself. Any tips appreciated! ::yes::

RachelQ - I will look through my emails and see if I can find the newsletters you are looking for. I will PM you if I find them.

Did everyone get the newletter this morning? They have created a new web address for the marathon. www.disneyworldmarathon.com

Speeding up pace--try taking 2 of your regular walk/runs midweek of your weekly schedule---and mid-way through each run--increase your pace by 20-30%....this works best on a treadmill b/c you can calculate the pace and load it in and let the treadmill do the pacing work for you.

IF a treadmill is unavailable to you--during your walk/runs--start having start/stops in your routine--from this tree to that tree run as fast as you can (no sprinting) and then return to regular pace when you reach your target (do not actually stop!!)--use mailboxes, lightposts--whatever...increase the spacing as this becomes comfortable. Whatever you do--when you stop the fast running--resume regular pace--don't slack and walk like a turtle--don't want you body to get too comfy at that slow pace.

You should notice a pacing difference in 2 weeks if not one--mostly in your long walk/runs. I shaved about 15 seconds per minute a week until we added the bridge :(

I was getting into the low 11ish minute mile range on short runs and getting close to 12 minute miles on long--and then we started running the bridge--and back to the High 12ish minute mile I am. :( Oh well!!!

Also--if you do the run/walk method--run 9 minutes/walk 1 minute or some other pattern--you should notice a better time than if you tried to run the entire distance as you are allowing your muscles to acclimate to the exercise.

REMEMBER THIS---your goal should be to FINISH the half or full marathon--anything less than a 16 minute per mile pace is awesome! You just don't want that van picking you up :)

Good luck all!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the election reminder, MeMe. It is weighing heavily on dh and my mind because we haven't received our voter cards yet! :earseek: We both registered when we moved (more than the required days before an election). DH has received a letter notifying that his card would arrive 7 days before the election. I got noting. :( Today is our last day for the mail to bring something, otherwise we will just pick a polling place and see if we are on their list and where we should go. Let's hope that works. We don't want to be shut out! :mad:

I haven't purchased a shirt because I can't find a half one. I am hopeful there will be some available in WDW. Also, last June, at the Outlets, we saw several styles of Marathon shirts from 2004. I liked the one that said... I Did It! Hopefully a similar design will be available this year as well. ::MickeyMo

Geetey--2 suggestions for you..ask your neighbor to see where they go (Better than driving around :) )...or check your county link--I am not sure if you are in St Louis County--but here is their link...you should be able to put in your street address and it will tell you where to go. IF this isn't your county--GOOGLE "x" county supervisor of elections and go from there--you should be able to find your county sight and do the same thing. In Fla voter card is not required--though it is lovely to have :)

http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/scripts/elections/

Good luck!!!

geetey
11-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Lisa, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (can I send you a big bag of Halloween candy as thanks? :p ;) ) We are in St Louis County and your link worked perfectly. Now we know where to go to vote! :hyper:

I am walking the half marathon and *really* appreciate your tips. I do have a treadmill and have been using it for my 2 short walk days, so it will be easier to incorporate your suggestions on it. On my long walk day (Thursday), I head to a local park with great walking trails. It is smooth, so no danger of tripping (I have done that on the sidewalks), and it is relatively flat with some slopes and gradual inclines, which I think is what we will face in WDW.

I think my problem is that my 'fast' pace is 3.0 mph (20 minute mile) and moderate pace is 2.6 mph on the treadmill. I need to get that 'fast' pace to be my moderate pace and only have 68 days to do so! :eek: I started training with ample time and I am following John Bingham's 14 week schedule so I hope to be able to get under that 16 minute time. I did do one 18 minute mile during my long walk last Thursday, so there is some improvement.

Slowly but surely, I *will* get there! ::yes::

Cheryl N. WI
11-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone

Karen I am definitely in on the No Sweets Challenge but I am not going to do it until Thanksgiving because we leave for Orlando on the 19th and then our cruise on the Magic on the 20th and I have to be able to eat sweets on the cruise. LOL So I will join you in this until the 19th, which is better than nothing, and it will definitely be a challenge with all the left over Halloween candy in the house, but so far so good today.

DD an I got home late last night from our long weekend visit to my sister. We had a wonderful time and I am so proud of myself, I exercised 3 of the 4 days we were there. The weather was pretty rainy so I got on their treadmill twice, one day for 60 min the other day for 70 min. The third day I did my crosstraining by doing my Denise Austin weight training tapes. We also did better than we usually do with our eating while we were there so I didn't gain a pound!!! DD even said to me as we were driving home yesterday, Mom I'm proud of us, we didn't even get 1 donut from the bakery (the bakery near my sister's has the BEST donuts and they are big and we usually eat 1 a day when we are there soi that was really good!!!!). We did eat some junk but we kept so busy we usually only ate 2 meals and that probably helped.

Today I wanted to get my walk/jog in outside before the rains came. The weatherman said it wouldn't start raining until after 11am so I thought great I'll get DD to school and be walking by 8:15 and even if the rain starts early I'll be done. The weatherman was wrong yet again, it was pouring by 8 and it is only about 45 out today so I changed my plans. I did my crosstraining weight tapes again and then I did my 2 mile WATP tape. Greety I agree the WATP tape was harder than I remebered too, I mean jeez I can walk 8 miles outside and doing that 2 mile tape I was feeling those other muscles so I guess it was some good crosstraining. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day so I am hoping this rain goes away by Wed so I can get my long walk/jog in for the week.

Karen Good luck getting in your miles today! Is it really less than 10 weeks now?! Time sure is flying!

Meme DH and I will definitely be going to the polls to vote tomorrow after work. As you said this is a very important election.

Greety I never received the email newsletters that RachelQ mentioned either if you find them could you please pass the info on to me too?
I did not get the email newsletter today either :( Could you please pass that info on too, I don't want to miss anything important! I don't know why I haven't been getting those. I have a new email address but DH notified Disney of that for me but I'm still not getting any marathon emails from them.

Lisa thanks for the info on increasing pace. Good luck with conquering that bridge!

Have a great day everyone and remember to keep moving!

Cheryl

karebear1
11-01-2004, 04:19 PM
In Oregon, they have mail inballot voting only. I have mine filled out and I will drop it off tomorrow. I voted for the right guy..... hope you all did too!! ;)

And even more miraculous is that I have avoided sweets all day AND I did my 6 miles today. I really need to start speed training and cross training more seriously- but I can't really think about that right now. I have a BAD headache!

Sounds to me like everyone is doing really well on their training! Posting that this marathon is in 10 weeks really puts things in perspective doesn't it?!?!?!?! I was thinking, the other day, how I use to think hat 13 miles was insurmountable!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Lisa, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (can I send you a big bag of Halloween candy as thanks? :p ;) ) We are in St Louis County and your link worked perfectly. Now we know where to go to vote! :hyper:

I am walking the half marathon and *really* appreciate your tips. I do have a treadmill and have been using it for my 2 short walk days, so it will be easier to incorporate your suggestions on it. On my long walk day (Thursday), I head to a local park with great walking trails. It is smooth, so no danger of tripping (I have done that on the sidewalks), and it is relatively flat with some slopes and gradual inclines, which I think is what we will face in WDW.

I think my problem is that my 'fast' pace is 3.0 mph (20 minute mile) and moderate pace is 2.6 mph on the treadmill. I need to get that 'fast' pace to be my moderate pace and only have 68 days to do so! :eek: I started training with ample time and I am following John Bingham's 14 week schedule so I hope to be able to get under that 16 minute time. I did do one 18 minute mile during my long walk last Thursday, so there is some improvement.

Slowly but surely, I *will* get there! ::yes::

Try changing that pace by .1 a day--it is barely noticeable in those small increments-- for the fast sections--30% is nearly 4mph--which is a 15 minute mile--start doing those right away--it can feel awkward (it felt incredibly fast for me when I first started working out)--so you may have to wog it a while--until it becomes comfy again. If you have short legs like me it can take a while :)

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by karebear1
In Oregon, they have mail inballot voting only. I have mine filled out and I will drop it off tomorrow. I voted for the right guy..... hope you all did too!! ;)

How does the mail in ballot work--when do y'all get to know who won your states popular vote?

The great thing about this country--if you got to vote for who you wanted to vote for, then you voted for "the right guy"--his name may be different from my "the right guy"--but that's the beauty of democracy.

karebear1
11-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Lisa loves Pooh
How does the mail in ballot work--when do y'all get to know who won your states popular vote?

The great thing about this country--if you got to vote for who you wanted to vote for, then you voted for "the right guy"--his name may be different from my "the right guy"--but that's the beauty of democracy.

We get our ballots about 3 weeks before the elction takes place. We can mail in the completed ballots and the ballots will be counted as long as they are there by the day the Nation votes. If you don't get your vote in the mail early enough, then there are places you can drop your vote off up until 8pm on Election Day. They are counted just like any other states.

And your right- that is the beauty of living in this wonderful country! Just the fact that we can choose who will lead us is indeed a great idea!

Tiger Lily 03
11-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Morning Marathoners!
I have read, not able to catch up with everyone just now.

I am at a bit of a stall on my walks these last couple of days (as in I haven't done much there), but I continue to Winsor Pilates and hit the gym and pool for at least something.

I am off to work and then to Vote Today!

I hope to check in again soon.

Susan--Ontario
11-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Good Tuesday Afternoon Everyone!!

I'm still in light training mode so that I don't hurt anything before I go on vacation on Friday!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

On Hallowe'en I did go out with my son and walked for an hour. I went up and down every driveway with him so that I wasn't just standing around while he was going up the driveways. I actually was doing some kick-backs (from the WATP tapes) while he was getting the candy. Some people in our neighbourhood made a party out of the whole night. Going around with their kids with their "coffee". One house was actually handing out Bailey's to the Mom's and Dad's. The last few days I've been waking up at 3:30. I get thinking about all that I have to do before I go on vacation and then I can't get back to sleep, so I get up and do laundry, packing etc. Today, though I got up. Watched my tape from last night (Everybody loves Raymond and Two and Half Men). After laughing for an hour I pulled out the 2 mile WATP and did that.

I can't walk today because it is tanking down rain and my shoes have holes in them for air flow. Great for walking but not so great for walking in the rain.

I'm going to take my step meter to Disney with me just to keep myself on track. I don't want to risk losing my good pedometer so I'm just taking the one that came in the Kellogg's cereal boxes a while back. My DH will probably bring his laptop so I'll be able to log on and catch up some days. I'm going to check out the Contemporary Hill when I'm staying there week after next. It's a surprise for my DS. Hopefully I won't blow it before we check in there.:crazy:

I've got the repairman coming on the 23rd to fix my treadmill so when I get back it's going to be full time training!!!:earseek:

WAAAY TO GOOO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!! Keep On Truckin"!!

geetey
11-02-2004, 06:04 PM
I did my walking today - 40 minutes in the blustery wind. Brrr.... luckily I had a lightweight zippered hoodie on over my shirt. I had on a ball cap as well, but definitely needed the hoodie to keep me warm. It was just right for today's weather. The walk was hard. I tried a new path today and OUCH! The walkway itself was tilted so I was walking on an angle. My left ankle was hurting 20 minutes in, then my right knee started, then my left calf! Sheesh! I guess my leg muscles aren't strong enough to walk at a good pace AND walk on a slant. Last time at that park for quite a while! I AM proud of myself for finishing though! I even went a tad over 40 minutes. It definitely was *not* the place to try Lisa's speed drills though. :eek:

What I had on may even work as my 'outfit' for the marathon. It is lightweight enough not to be hot, but definitely helped cut the wind.

Susan, have a blast at WDW! I can't wait to hear about that Contemporary hill. I hope it turns into being just a gradual slope. ;) :crazy:

PS: Karen - I *need* some candy! Day 2 is harder than Day 1!! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/mggrumpy.gif http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/icon_eek.gif

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
11-02-2004, 06:12 PM
I know I haven't really been posting but I am still reading. I just have been super busy - I am "babying" my hamstring. I hope that it will be much better in the next few days, I am taking some time off to see if it will heal and then I must start out slowly and not be so impatient.

I also want to tell Mary-Liz, Pluto's my favorite and Geetey that I FINALLY got your bracelets today and I will get them in the mail just as soon as I can. (My supplier has had too much "life" get in her way and just got them to me) Mary - Liz do you have a new address to send your's and sis's? PM me if you do

Hang in there everyone and just take it one day at a time (I needed to hear that)

Hey where is Sundie (plutomf) anyway and Ibouncetoo - haven't heard from them for a bit.

Keep up the good work all my fellow trainees ::yes::

karebear1
11-02-2004, 07:08 PM
OMG! I hope I can get through this election night! Talk about ANXIETY!!!!

Grammy- I was wondering ther same thing about those two WISHER's. WHERE THER HECK ARE YOU?????

I haven't walked today, and hope I'll be able to pull myself away from the TV long enough to walk 2 miles. Oh My!!!! It's gonna be a LONG night!

Kimickey
11-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Today was a bummer! I'm all geared up head to toe ready to go running, I look out the window and it looks like it going to pour rain. So I said I'll wait an hour, an hour later I look out of the window and still looks like the heavens are just going to open any minute. So I say for get it, because on top of the rain it's getting dark. That was inbetween the hours of 3-5pm. It is now 7pm and it's NOW just raining. A day of training wasted :mad:
Okay now that I'm over that, how is everyone doing today?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm having sugar withdrawals. But I'm holding strong!!! No Sugar, No Sugar, No Sugar!

karebear1
11-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Geetey and Kimickey- Me Too on those sugar shakes!!! I almost buckled- bUT I DIDN"T! I STAYED STRONG...... but probably ate my weight in grapes as to avoid eating candy! :teeth:

We can do this! WE MUST RESIST!!!

Debbie
11-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Guys! Just wanted to let you know that I'm here, and I've walked both days this week. I didn't do a l-o-n-g walk this week, but I've been doing the short ones, and increasing my pace. :)

I have the "Walking to the Classics" audio CD's. But I don't have a Walkman! lol I'm seeing if I can find one of the kids in the toyboxes.

BUT I borrowed the "Hooked on Classics" CD's from the library. I LOVE them for picking up the pace. I'm going to burn some of the tracks. A slower one for warm up, then the faster paced ones, and finish off with the "slower" paced one again. I've already noticed a difference!

I'm not even going to pretend to stay out of the candy, but I WILL take care to not eat 12 at one sit. :teeth:

Keep going everyone. Remember:

Slow and steady wins the race. . . and the Donald medal!

NancyK
11-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone,
I did WATP - 2 miles yesterday and went to Curves today. It's rainy and miserable here, but I'm going to definitely get outside and walk tomorrow after work.
I'm having problems with that leftover Halloween candy. Maybe I'll get my DH to take the rest to work with him.
Last night, I got an email with our "finish line picture" from the Niagara marathon. It's not a very flattering picture, but I'll probably order one anyway since it's a nice reminder of our first marathon.
I know you all are glued to your TV sets tonight. I don't think I can stay up that late. I'm going to set the alarm for 5:30 a.m. and do WATP before work (hopefully).

decaff38
11-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Hey Nancy K -I have been doing the WATP tapes this week too. I did 1 on Mon. , 2 on Tues. Guess what i'm doing Wed. Two days I have been on my way to the gym and blew it. Ran out of time. DD is in drivers training and I need to pick her up by 6:00. I just have lost some motivation right now. Better get in gear though I run a 10K on Sun. Might not be as good as the last one. It will count as minutes training no matter what. Glad to hear from Grandma. I look at my bracelet everyday and remind myself that others are also working towards the 1/2. I have not gotten any info. or email newsletters yet. Am hoping to see something soon. We are flying in about 3:00pm on Sat. the 8th. Will need to get to the Expo to pick up my stuff ASAP. Hope they're open until 7:00.

Better get to bed, the anxiety of watching returns has made me eat carbs i usually avoid.
Great Training to all for Wed.

Rachael Q
11-02-2004, 10:39 PM
This week is going well, but then again I am only 2 days into it.

Yesterday I ran/walked in the pouring rain. 5 minutes walking warmup, then ran 3/walk 2 for 35 minutes, then 5 minute cool down, stretched out the legs, then 20 minutes of windsor pilates. I must have looked a sight.... I had on thermal leggings to keep warm, then cycling type tights to keep dry, a thermal long sleeve top, and a waterproof jacket, gloves and a baseball hat.

When I got home I walked straight into the bathroom, and stood in the bathtub to peel off the clothes. I was soaked! But the bonus of running in the rain - I didn't get overheated.

Today I did 20 minutes of another pilates.

Tomorrow is the same run/walk combination and then DH and I are going to a yoga class - 45 minutes.

Now if I could just remember to drink water, I have to train myself to pour a glass of water rather than a glass of pop.

tw1nsmom
11-03-2004, 06:01 AM
Hi all! I'm still plugging away at SLOWLY training. My energy level has been really low lately. My doctor had me on a medication that didn't agree with me. I'm done with that now so hopefully my energy and pace will get back to where I need it to be.

I've discovered a really great OP treat (for South Beach)! I was looking in the frozen food aisle and saw that frozen raspberries were really reasonably priced. I defrost a bag of sugar free berries and add a packet of Splenda and a couple of tablespoons of light whipped topping. YUMMM. It's also, obviously, really quick and easy so that I can satisfy a sweets craving before the chocolate starts calling my name.

I hope everyone has a happy Wednesday!:)

Dawn

ohMom
11-03-2004, 07:22 AM
morning all :)

another super hectic week for me too -- probably will be mostly like this through the holiday for me -- i'm painting some, making some gifts, etc and there just isn't enough time!

i'm still on track with MFM schedule -- today was 30 min powerwalk with stride drills - pedometer said 2.5 miles but i trust it as far as i can throw it; but it's a guestimate. i wasn't feeling my strongest today and shins were hurting some too

i'm with those who are tempted by the halloween candy, I think i'm close to having the craves worked out by now! i haven't been food journaling like I intended too -- probably why i didn't feel as strong today walking. um - DUH!

rachael - pouring rain!! oh ddddear! you have my respect for that workout!

ps - voting anxiety -- oh my! i'm going shopping again today (almost done christmas shopping actually!) with a good friend who voted for the 'wrong guy' meaning not the one I voted for! he he he i heard on the radio this morning it could take 10 days for ohio to declare officially! i hope not!

karebear1
11-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I just takled to a friend taht was going to do the marathon with us and she said that she recieved a packet in the mail yesterday with all the marathon info in it. Did anyone else get this yet? I haven't! :(

Tiger Lily 03
11-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Nope no packet for me yet. I did get the email newsletter they sent.

Rachel, running in the rain! Now that brings back childhood memories. I would not think twice about it when I was a kid. Now, I wonder if I will melt I guess.

I did not run in the rain yesterday, and I will not get outside today as I must come back to work later tonight. Maybe I will get the TM dusted off to see if it still works. I HATE that thing. :mad:
Keep at it everyone. Don't give up. We can do this, and we are!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2004, 03:12 PM
All of the information, regarding RACE DAY, Spectators and such is available on the Disney website...

http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/events/marathon/events/detail?name=FullMarathon2005PreparationEventDetail Page

It is very detailed--just click on the files and you will have all you wanted to know.

We just completed our paperwork last week for Team in Training--so though I have been training since August--Disney is just now hearing about me...
I did 3 miles this morning--it was supposed to be for building my lactic threshhold (efficiency the body processes lactic acid)--but I can never tell if I am doing that workout or the one for increased Oxygen--they sound very similar in intensity though the breaks are different.

When I have more time-- I will post the valuable information provided by our coach regarding training and such. Their whole mantra is doing more with less--I just keep repeating that over and over :) Sounded like cheap words in the beginning, but I am believing them now.

Via e-mail, They also provided some cross training exercises and stretching exercises for us today--it is long, but Happy Reading:

Case for cross-training, Part 1: Five reasons every runner should cross-train

By Matt Fitzgerald

For Active.com

10/12/2004

As recently as 10 years ago, few elite runners did much in the way of cross-training, which I like to define broadly to include all forms of resistance training, stretching, and non-impact endurance training activities such as bicycling.

Non-impact alternatives to running were grudgingly taken up only when injuries made running impossible and were quickly cast aside when running was resumed.

Most of the elite runners of the previous generation did some stretching, but without much effect on injury risk because they usually failed to customize their stretching routine to fit their individual needs. Only a handful of runners did any amount of resistance training, and again, with questionable methods.

Within the past few years, a rapidly growing number of elite runners (in the United States, at least) have chosen to make cross-training central to their training programs and have begun using more sophisticated methods.

The athletes leading this trend are crediting the new approach to cross-training with reducing injuries, accelerating injury rehabilitation, facilitating recovery, and not least of all, helping them run faster by increasing their aerobic fitness, power, and efficiency.

The poster boy of the new approach to cross-training is Alan Webb, winner of the 2004 Olympic Trials 1500 meters. Under the guidance of his coach, Scott Raczko, Webb maintains an unorthodox training schedule in which less than half of his training time is spent on running.

The rest is spent on dynamic stretching and flexibility drills, medicine ball exercises, calisthenics, balance training, pool running, and functional strength training.

The rationale is simple. Webb, like any other runner, can only do so much running without getting injured. But the maximum amount of running he can handle is not the maximum amount of total exercise he can handle.

By doing other types of training that enhance his fitness in ways that complement his running, he can actually reduce his injury risk while further enhancing his running performance.

Few age-group runners are willing to follow an example like Webb's, in part because they simply prefer running to other forms of exercise, but mostly because they aren't fully convinced of the benefits of cross-training.

So I'd like to devote this first installment of my six-part series on cross-training to giving you a hard sell on the benefits of cross-training.

I want to first persuade you to give an honest try to a balanced cross-training approach to training for distance running. Then, in subsequent articles, I can move on to explain how.

For a full treatment of this topic, including complete cross-training-based training programs for all types of runners, see my book, Runner's World Guide to Cross-Training (Rodale, 2004).

Following are five proven benefits of cross-training.

1. Fewer injuries

Many overuse injuries are caused by instability in the hips, knees, and ankles resulting from inadequate strength in important stabilizing muscles. For example, weak hip abductors (the muscles on the outside of the hip) can cause the pelvis to tip toward your unsupported side when your foot lands, placing undue strain on the hip and/or knee joints. Strength training can correct such problems.

Tightness in certain muscles and tendons also contributes to some running injuries. For example, runners who develop iliotibial (IT) band friction syndrome typically have tight IT bands. Stretching can loosen tight connective tissues and thereby prevent such injuries.

Finally, by replacing one or two weekly recovery runs with easy workouts in non-impact modalities such as bicycling and pool running you can reduce the amount of repetitive impact your lower extremities are subjected to, and in this way reduce injuries (without sacrificing fitness). Impact forces are the true origin of nearly every running injury.

2. Faster rehabilitation

When you do get injured, cross-training comes to the rescue by correcting the root cause of the problem, allowing you to get you back on the road quickly and reducing the risk that this particular injury will recur. (An estimated 50% of all running injuries are in fact re-injuries.)

For example, eccentric strengthening of the calf muscles is a very effective way to correct the root cause of Achilles tendinosis, which is essentially an inability of the calf muscles to properly absorb impact forces.

Non-impact cardio workouts can be used to maintain your aerobic fitness while your running is limited due to injury. Olympic silver medallist Meb Keflezighi used this strategy with great success when injuries hampered his running in the lead-up to the 2004 Olympic Trials Marathon.

By replacing a number of runs with bike workouts he was able to build enough fitness despite his injury setbacks to finish second in that race and earn a trip to Athens.

3. Greater aerobic fitness

Due to the pounding running inflicts, even the most gifted runners can handle no more than about 15 hours of running per week, whereas athletes in non-impact endurance sports such as swimming and cycling routinely perform twice this amount of training.

By adding non-impact cardio workouts to your running schedule, you can gain a little extra aerobic fitness without increasing your injury risk.

4. More power

Another benefit of strength training -? particularly of jumping drills, or plyometrics -? is increased stride power, which translates into greater stride length and reduced ground contact time and consequently faster race times.

Among the recent studies demonstrating these benefits was a Swedish study in which trained runners replaced 32% of their running with plyometrics for a period of nine weeks.

After nine weeks, their maximum sprint speed, running economy, and 5K race times were all found to have improved, whereas runners in a control group who maintained their normal training schedule showed no improvements.

5. Greater efficiency

Dynamic flexibility is the ability to perform sports movements such as running with minimal internal resistance from your own muscles and joints.

Dynamic stretches are movements that enhance dynamic flexibility by mimicking the way your muscles and connective tissues actually stretch during running. An example is giant walking lunges (i.e. walking with the most ridiculously long steps you can take).

Performing dynamic stretches on a regular basis reduces internal resistance in your running movements and thereby enhances the efficiency of your stride.

Case for cross-training, Part 2: Strength training for joint stability and injury prevention

By Matt Fitzgerald

For Active.com

We all know running puts us at high risk for injury, but researchers are finding out there's a lot more behind running-related injuries than impact forces.

Specifically, it's the combination of impact and joint instability that puts running on par with tackle football when it comes to numbers of injuries.

Here's why: When your foot makes contact with the ground, your muscles and connective tissues must work together to resist the potential joint-destabilizing effect of impact.

Most runners, particularly those who do not cross-train, are weak in key stabilizing muscles. As a result, the body is forced to absorb impact in a way it's not built to handle.

"The biggest thing I see is that runners have very weak core musculature, and because of this they can't control their posture while they're running," says Michael Fredericson, M.D., a running injury expert at Stanford University.

"Their pelvis goes into a forward tilt and they get an arch in their low back." This, Fredericson, says, results in extra stress on both the hamstrings and knees.

The hips are also problematic in many runners.

"The hip abductors and external rotators of the hip tend to be weak, or they're just not firing appropriately -- they're not becoming active when they should," says Bryan Heiderscheit, P.T., Ph.D., who directs an injury clinic for runners at Des Moines University in Iowa.

"You'll end up assuming an internally rotated position at the knee and at the hip." This can cause injuries ranging from knee pain to tendonitis in the hips and groin.

Other muscles that tend to be dangerously weak in runners are those of the lower back and the front of the lower leg.

Luckily, strengthening these running stabilizers doesn't need to take a lot of extra time. Simply add another 15 minutes to your running routine twice a week (if you're really pressed for time, steal it from the time you already run -- you'll thank yourself later) and mix in the following strength exercises.

(For photo illustrations of these exercises and a lot more information about strength training for runners, see my book, Runner's World Guide to Cross-Training.)

Lower abdominal squeeze

Lay face up with your arms relaxed at your sides and your legs extended straight toward the ceiling with your heels together. Then contract the muscles of your lower abdomen and, by doing so, try to lift your heels ever so slightly toward the ceiling. (This is a very small movement).

Hold the contraction for one second, then relax for one second. Repeat the exercise until you feel a nice burning sensation in the targeted muscles.

Benefit: Strengths lower abdominals and prevents forward tilt of pelvis during running.

Side step-up

Stand with your side next to a 12- to 18-inch platform (such as a weight bench or tall aerobics step). Place your right food on the platform keep your left foot on the floor (your right knee is bent and your left leg is straight).

Shift your weight onto your right leg stand on that leg, lifting your entire body 12 to 18 inches.

Pause briefly with your left foot unsupported in the air next to your right foot, then bend your knee again and slowly lower your left foot back down to the floor.

Benefit: Strengthens the thighs, hips, and glutes, improving knee and hip stability.

Pillow balancing

Place a pillow on the floor and balance on it with one shoeless foot for 30 seconds, and then balance on the other foot, and repeat. At first it will be difficult to last 30 seconds, but you'll quickly improve. Keep it challenging by using a bigger or softer pillow, by stacking pillows, and/or by balancing longer.

Benefit: Strengthens the muscles that oppose the calf muscles, improving ankle stability.

Hip twist

Lie face up with your arms resting at your sides and your palms flat on the floor. Extend your legs directly toward the ceiling, keeping your feet together, and point your toes.

Keeping your big toes side-by-side, tip your legs 12 to 18 inches to the right by twisting at the hip, so that your left buttock comes off the floor. Fight the pull of gravity by maintaining stability with your abs and obliques.

Pause for a moment, then return slowly to the start position, again using your core muscles to control the movement. Repeat on the left side. Do 8-12 repetitions on each side.

Benefit: Strengthens the abdominal muscles, including the obliques, improving pelvic stability.

Single arm dumbbell clean and press

Assume a wide athletic stance with a single dumbbell placed on the floor between your feet. Begin with your left arm fully extended and bend forward from the hips and grasp the dumbbell with your left hand.

With a single, fluid, powerful movement, pull the dumbbell off the floor, stand fully upright, and continue raising your left arm until it is extended straight overhead.

Pause briefly and then reverse the movement, allowing the dumbbell to come to rest again on the floor briefly before initiating the next lift. Complete 10-12 repetitions and then switch to the right arm.

Benefit: Strengthens the thighs, hips, glutes, lower and upper back, chest, and shoulders, improving knee and hip stability and running posture.

Case for cross-training, Part 3: Stretching

By Matt Fitzgerald

For Active.com

10/26/2004

This series is adapted from Matt Fitzgerald's forthcoming book, "Runner's World Guide to Cross-Training."

The primary perceived benefit of stretching for runners is injury prevention.

But in the best recent controlled studies, stretching has not reduced the incidence of injuries to the lower extremities to a statistically significant degree. On the basis of such studies, many exercise physiologists advise runners not to stretch.

The main problem with this advice and the studies upon which it is based is that they come at stretching from the wrong side of injury. Targeted stretching of abnormally tight muscles and tendons has proven to be an extremely effective means of rehabilitating and preventing the recurrence of specific injuries in runners.

This is because abnormal tightness in specific muscles and tendons is without question a contributing cause of particular running injuries, and stretching can increase the elasticity of muscles and tendons.

Every day, physical therapists prescribe targeted stretching exercises to rehabilitate and prevent recurrence of five different injuries that are frequently associated with tightness in muscles and tendons.

Abnormally tight calves and Achilles tendons contribute to plantar fasciitis, shin splints, Achilles tendinosis, and calf muscle strains. Abnormally tight hamstrings and hip flexors often precipitate strains in these muscles. And an abnormally tight iliotibial band is commonly seen in runners suffering from IT band friction syndrome.

There is no doubt that stretching plays a positive role in the successful rehabilitation of many cases of these injuries, so it only stands to reason that it can also prevent many cases of these same injuries (or at least prevent their recurrence).

For this reason, I recommend that you stretch the above-mentioned muscles and tendons daily.

Another controversial question is the relationship between flexibility and performance. Stretching advocates claim that runners need to be very flexible in order to take long strides. Others believe that runners get all the flexibility they need through the activity of running itself.

In this case both sides are half-right. There are two muscle groups that are unusually flexible in most elite runners: the hips and the shoulders. Non-elite runners can surely benefit from stretching these muscle groups and thereby increasing the range of motion of the shoulders and hips.

But this alone will probably not improve your stride length, because regular stretching exercises increase only passive range of motion, whereas running requires dynamic flexibility, which is the ability to perform sports movements with minimal internal resistance from your own muscles and joints.

This is the distinction that stretching skeptics are trying to get at when they say running itself gives us all the flexibility we need. While the distinction is real, the best way to increase dynamic flexibility is not by running but rather by performing dynamic stretching exercises.

Dynamic stretches are movements that mimic the way your muscles and connective tissues actually stretch during running. An example is the leg swing (described below).

Performing dynamic stretches on a regular basis reduces internal resistance in your running movements and thereby enhances the efficiency of your stride. These stretches also make for excellent warm-up movements, because they increase dynamic flexibility acutely from resting to active levels by warming, loosening, and lubricating the muscles.

Dynamic stretching warm-up

The following dynamic stretching warm-up will increase your active range of motion for individual workouts and increase your dynamic flexibility generally. Do it 2-3 times per week as a part of your warm-up, following several minutes of easy jogging.

Arm swings
Swing your right arm in a giant circle. Do 6 forward rotations and 6 backward rotations and then repeat with your left arm.

Trunk twists
Raise your arms straight out to the sides. Twist your torso as far as you can to the right. Without pausing, reverse direction and twist over to the left. Repeat 10 times.

Leg swings
Stand on your left foot and swing your right leg backward and forward in an exaggerated kicking motion. Complete 10 swings and repeat with the left leg.

Side leg swings
Stand facing a wall, lean forward slightly at the waist, and brace your hands against the wall. Lift your right foot off the ground and swing your right leg from side to side (like a pendulum) between your left leg and the wall. Do 10 swings and then switch to the left leg.

Giant lunges
Take 10 giant steps forward with each foot, lunging as far forward as you can each time.

Ankle bounce
Lean forward against a wall with your feet close together and flat on the ground. Raise both heels as high as possible and then "bounce" them off the ground. Repeat 20 times.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I did the Dynamic Stretching Warmup today...it was a nice warmup to running.

I am going to try that lunge thing to see if it helps with stride as it is suggested it does.

maryliz
11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
I kind of laughed about the references to WATP ... my DD suggested that I FIND them and USE them last night when I decided not to go to Curves. :rolleyes: I guess I'm lucky to have a 7 yr old "coach" to try and kick my behind into shape when I'm being lazy. Official laziness ended today ... I did a 30 minute walk at lunch, and I went to Curves tonight. I've had a hard time getting back into the swing of exercise since we moved and I know that "I'm busy" was nothing but a lame excuse. And I have to say that it felt great.

Great work everyone! Lisa, very informative stuff on cross-training. I've been using Curves as my cross-training and I have found that it works quite nicely.

Mary-Liz

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by maryliz
I kind of laughed about the references to WATP ... my DD suggested that I FIND them and USE them last night when I decided not to go to Curves. :rolleyes: I guess I'm lucky to have a 7 yr old "coach" to try and kick my behind into shape when I'm being lazy. Official laziness ended today ... I did a 30 minute walk at lunch, and I went to Curves last night. I've had a hard time getting back into the swing of exercise since we moved and I know that "I'm busy" was nothing but a lame excuse. And I have to say that it felt great.

Great work everyone! Lisa, very informative stuff on cross-training. I've been using Curves as my cross-training and I have found that it works quite nicely.

Mary-Liz

Good job!!! I used to belong to curves--found it ineffective for me as my body needed much more cardio than I was able to pull of in their workouts. Right now the extent of my cross training is taking the girls for a walk in their stroller. No Gym for me, though I would love to join one.

I think I am claiming tomorrow as an off day--our long run isn't until Sunday--and sleeping in to make up for last night sure would be nice :)

ohMom
11-04-2004, 06:11 AM
good morning -- today is a cross-training day for me. DD and I have been going to yoga on thursday evenings but i never feel like that's 'enough' but sometimes treat myself to a day of just yoga. anyhow -- i'm debating between a water aerobics class at 9:30 or some pilates at home instead, or nothing in the morning and an hour of yoga tonight. what do you guys think? I know Bingham lists yoga as a cross-training option

i'm just feeling lazy on a rainy day! tomorrow is my long day, but this week is a 'rest week' and so my long is only THREE MILES?? anyone else on MFM schedule with me??

Auntmeme
11-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Happy Thursday all:)

Walked 3.2 on Tues and then a rest day (have a head cold) but today I will walk, how long will depend on how cold it is, if it rains(don't beleive the weather forecast) and time.

thanks Karen for those shopping links. I did order from Sierra Trading. I did not find a long sleeve coolmax shirt in my $$ range but did get shorts, short sl shirt & water pack. I had the water pack on my list to buy all summer and there it was on sale, the exact brand that was recommended, I'm so excited.

I did receive the marathon pack in the mail yesterday. For those who also received it, what did yours include? a marathon booklet & a white paper to be signed and handed in. Anything else? my plastic wrap was ripped open at the top and I'm concerened that I may be missing something.

What is the typical January temp? are shorts appopriate? what about swimming at the pools? never been there in jan and have no idea. Who else is staying a Carribean Beach?

Slow & steady......

ibouncetoo
11-04-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm here!:wave:

Been busy at work training a new team-mate. Not been checking in 'cause I've been OUT OF CONTROL with my eating. Have been walking, but not consistantly. What's going on here? So, I'm having a long hard talk with myself......is this self-sabotage? I'm going to Chicago tomorrow for a long weekend for my birthday. I'll be spending it with my big sister, who just happens to be a life-coach. So I'll be doing some 'work' with her while I'm there.

I do realize that not checking in here has made is 'easier' to ignore my goals. So first thing on my new agenda is to come to WISH the minute the computer gets turned on!

Sometimes I think I need someone standing over me with a switch! LOL!

OK, have to hit the shower.....will try and post from Chicago and check in with you all. Hoping when I check my mailbox on the way out this morning there will be a little something there that will provide a REALITY CHECK!

plutosmyfav
11-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Hi all,

I'm sad to say that I definitely won't be doing the marathon:(

But I am plugging along with my weightloss and still exercise like a mad woman::yes::

Keep up the good work everyone! You'll do AWSOME!!!!!!!

Sundie

geetey
11-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi Molli!
I am doing MFM as well, and I did my 'long' 3 miles this morning. Once again the weather was icky - high winds, with a slight drizzle, but I figured I just needed to get out there and get it done. I won't have any choices about the weather in WDW so unless it is absolutely pouring, I will be going out for training. My pace is a little improved from last week's long week. It took me 54 minutes to walk the 3 miles (first 5 minutes were a very slow warmup), so I averaged a 18.6 minute mile. Last week was 20.8 minute mile. I need to keep saving off my time! Too bad the wind wasn't blowing with me! I could have shaved some serious time! ;)

No marathon packet here yet. I guess I shouldn't start getting nervous yet. I just want to see what's in there! I sent my change of address back in July, and did get a response from WDW.

Lisa - thanks for the info! I need to read it all again more slowly so I can soak it in. I did try some of those Dynamic stretching exercises after last night's cross training.

Since I have some time this morning, I think I will peruse those sale sites that were posted. I don't have any 'official' running stuff. Still wearing cotton. :earseek: So far it hasn't killed me. ;)

Tomorrow is a day of rest! YEAH!

Forgot to add: I weighed myself this morning. I am down 3 pounds from last week! WOO HOO!! :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4:

Lisa loves Pooh
11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
A note on those dynamic stretches--went to my "stretch" clinic last night.

It was suggested that dynamic stretches (that don't look or feel like conventional stretching) are something better to do before a run. You still need a little warm up--but the benefits of them are better than regular stretching prior to your run or walk.

So make sure you try them before a work out :)

I did my "cross training" today--consisting of balancing :hyper: I cant' explain how it makes your feet or ankles stronger--but was advised last night to try them and working your way up in time you can balance on one foot. Try it with your eyes closed, but be careful--your foot will wiggle as it tries to stablize itself--but it is supposed to be good injury prevention. That is--as long as you don't fall down--so keep something close by to grab should you be wobbling too much :)

Lisa

Auntmeme
11-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Congrats Terry on the 3 lb loss:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I did manage to walk before the rain started 3.6 for me throughout our boro downtown area. It was about a 16 min mile & I had to stop at some intersections, I was a little chilly, gloves would have helped.

I've been reading the packet that came, anyone know the best place for cheerers & best way to get there? and if we have to start in assigned corrals how do we walk with friends? they do have some 1/2 marathon shirts & I DID IT shirt.

decaff38
11-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Lisa - I really like the WATP tapes. I can do them when the weather is bad and get a pretty good work out by lifting my knees a bit more or double timing. I did a couple of free times at curves and liked it. I upped that a bit to get a good work out too. I now belong to women's gym that is fashioned after curves but they also have elliptically bikes , massage beds, sauna,tanning and wrapping. They have a large screened TV that is captioned so I was the news or what ever while I'm doing their curcuit. Look around your area at the health clubs available. You may find one you really like. They will be having alot of specials soon.
OhMom- You are so busy! I just have to make the decsion and stick to it. If I jhave alot of choices, I stall out trying to pick the best. Rainy Days are such a drag. Good for you making good use of a tough day.
Auntmeme- I have never been before either. Jan. should be a good month. Not to many people.
Ibouncetoo- :Pinkbounc Happy Birthday to YOu!!!:wave2: My birthday is the 21st.
You'll love Chicago. There is so much to there!! Say Hi to Oprah!!
Plutosmyfan_ So sorry to hear you're not going to make it. I am still hanging in there but it is still a $$?. Hope I can hold it together. Just a few more things and it will be set.

I have been okay with exercising this week, food has been okay and attitude is okay so far. Hubby had an awful meeting yesterday morning and called me saying he was driving around cooling down but may possibly not be working by the end of the day! I of course said,"Just hanging in there. It will be just okay." Hung up the phone and freaked. All is fine today!! Men! Are they all this nuts!!
Just keep plugging along. Need to get some running in the next 2 days. Sun is my 2nd 10 K. Feel pretty good about it . Not 1/2 as nervous as the first one.
Have a great Thurs.!!!

karebear1
11-04-2004, 04:50 PM
My SI joint is out agian. I'm staying off it again today- and wioll try walking tomorrow. I've lost so much trwasining time the past few weeks becasue of this. UGH!!! Anyway- I did do somethign productive today. I joined ediets.com. HAve anyone else seen this site? It is FANTASTIC! I'm loving it and totally jazzed to recommitt!

Pluots- I'm so sorry to hear you won;t be walking with us. We will miss you.

decaff- my DH has had a bad week as well. I understand where you're coming from! This mornign we were talking about what he would ahve to do to start his own business! eep hanging in there! Thngs will be fine.

Meme- when you registered, you estimated how long it will take you to finish the half. You'll be put in corrals according to the time you gave them. I told them 3:30- because I knew It would be slow and that's as slow as you can go! So, I'll be in the last corral. What time did you tell them? January weather is a best moody! We were there in January this year for the marathon. It was downrighth COLD in the evenings and beautiful during the day. One night- it must've bee 30 with stiff winds- andduring the days- clear and breezy- about 70-78. We swam in the pool at BCV's- and it was delightful! We did this at night (not the 30 degree night though) They heat the pools at WDW, so it was great. I took capri outfits with me and they were perfect for those days.

WHAT TIME DID EVERYONE TELL DISNEY THEY COULD FINISH THEIR HALF IN???? We can gather together in groups in our corrals to start.

geetey- Is aw some LIME GREEN coolmax shorts on that second site- they were only 7 bucks! I think we should all get them and be matching WISHERS! They had some really good prices on those sites.

Jackie- Happy B-Day!!! Have a fun time in Chicago- and when you get some advice from your sister/life coach.... share it with us will ya?? I'm out of control too! Keep posting so I don't have to feel all alone!

MOm- you must really enjoy the calmer workouts! I would! Sounds like you're having a fun time with DD and yoga. How old is she?

Lisa- thanks for all the advice you have- it helps us out a lot.

Maryliz- I can always use another trainer. So- if you wnat to send you DD my way- I can find something for her to do here! She sounds adorable!

tw1nsmom
11-04-2004, 06:08 PM
I hope everyone is having a little better weather than we are. It has been freezing and rainy all day. I hate damp, cold weather...I'd rather have snow. On the plus side, I'm now on the couch, covered by a warm blanket and snuggling with DD. She also played her ultimate cute card. When she wants to be precious she looks up at me and says "I'm so glad that Grammy Sally made you Mommy". She's also started one of her epic made up songs. She sings out a stream of consciousness story that can last for as much as twenty minutes. DS is busy telling knock,knock jokes that make no sense whatsoever. He also likes the chicken crosses the road riddles. This is one he thinks is completely hilarious.."Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he has an elephant on his head!!!! :confused: :rolleyes:
I really love four years old.

I walked for 30 minutes at the mall today. I don't think my pace was that great, but it was pretty crowded. I'm going to do an easy 30 minute walk tommorrow and I'm going to attempt eight miles this weekend. If it clears up I'll do it outside near my house, but if the weather stays the way it is, I'll get up early and walk at the mall before it opens.

Rachael Q
11-04-2004, 10:11 PM
Just got back from my run. 45 minutes of run3/walk2. I am not sure how far I ran...but I will DH to plug it into his map program and it will give me the mileage.

And the best bit, I went for an hours massage with my massage therapist, she wanted to know if I was stressed, ummmmm just a little. My shoulders were all in knots. But they are better now.

Tomorrow is cross training, so I'm either going for a swim, water aerobics, pilates, or bikram yoga. Depends what time I finish work. Saturday is my long run - 5 miles.

I am also doing a John Bingham program. During the marathon weekend we are at POP, then we move to the Beach Club, and then on to Wilderness Lodge.

All up we will be there Jan 7th to 16th.

karebear1
11-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Oh Dawn! Those stories.... just make me cry! How I love the sweetness of little kiddles! I miss having them in my home!

ohMom
11-05-2004, 07:29 AM
good morning all :)

decaff -- I AM busy! thanks for validating that for me! he he he

karen -- glad you found a new exciting plan to rev up your healthy eating choices -- i'm so sorry your SI jt is not behaving -- PD and prayers your way

terry -- i did my 'long' three mies too, isn't that funny :) CYBER HIGH FIVE on your loss -- three pounds that's AWESOME!!!! does that bring you close to a new clippie??

Rachael -- you must be a week ahed of terry and I??

I have not got a marathon packet yet -- and Karen I think Mom and I registered at a 14 min pace to get in a corral closer to the start -- hopefully she can verify or maybe my packet will??

ok - i didn't go to h20 aerobics yesterday; just did the evening yoga class with Paige (my DD who is 7 almost 8 going on 16) and then took her swimming in the warm water therapy pool for 30 mins too. I just got a noodle and kicked about, tried to do some toning moves from the classes but very laid back. heck, I was tired!

today I did 3.3 miles in 47 mins -- tomorrow is my day off and a full-scheduled day for my family! have a great weekend everyone -- see you sunday!

Sundie -- i'm so very sorry to hear you aren't able to participate with us!!! (((HUGS)))

maryliz
11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by tw1nsmom
"Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he has an elephant on his head!!!! :confused: :rolleyes:
I really love four years old.

OK ... I found this hilarious because I think I've heard the same one from MY 4 yr old ds! :teeth: And he just laughs and laughs and laughs ... which is very contagious!

Yesterday was a rest day for me, 'cause of course I needed one after, oh, ONE day of walking/Curves :confused: Actually, just didn't have the time due to dd's piano lessons. And it was very cold, windy and rainy here so no going out at lunch.

Only 9 weeks to go ... I need to get back on track. What will all of you who live in climates similar to southwestern Ontario do for the next 2 months as far as training? Once the sidewalks/roads are icy, it's really dangerous to be out there. I think I would go nuts trying to "mall walk", and I don't have a TM. Anyone have any great ideas?

Mary-Liz

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by maryliz
OK ... I found this hilarious because I think I've heard the same one from MY 4 yr old ds! :teeth: And he just laughs and laughs and laughs ... which is very contagious!

Yesterday was a rest day for me, 'cause of course I needed one after, oh, ONE day of walking/Curves :confused: Actually, just didn't have the time due to dd's piano lessons. And it was very cold, windy and rainy here so no going out at lunch.

Only 9 weeks to go ... I need to get back on track. What will all of you who live in climates similar to southwestern Ontario do for the next 2 months as far as training? Once the sidewalks/roads are icy, it's really dangerous to be out there. I think I would go nuts trying to "mall walk", and I don't have a TM. Anyone have any great ideas?

Mary-Liz

Can you afford any kind of gym membership (cheapest you can find) for a facility with a treadmill? Friend who lives in an apartment community that has a workout room?

I wish I had better suggestions--any highschools or community centers or colleges with an indoor track/gym. Sometimes you can meander on into them--but check first of course.

Our mall doors open a couple of hours before the stores open--so you can get in and walk without fighting the shoppers. NOw the other walkers, that's a whole other can of worms :hyper: :hyper:

karebear1
11-05-2004, 11:10 PM
How is everyone weekend looking? Right now- I'm hoping I'll be walking at least some. I was on my back most of the day hoping that will help.

Does anyone remember what time they put on their Application for the half? How long did you say it woud take you to finish the half????

Geetey and I are gonna be siamese twins at the START of the END of the Half marathon block- right geetey????? NOBODY is gonna pass us! We're staying as far ahead of that ol' sweeper as we possibly can! Is anyone gonna wait at the finish line for us?
:teeth:

Debbie
11-06-2004, 11:22 AM
:wave2: Hi Everyone! I got up this morning-not at 5:30 when the second alarm went off :eek: -and walked. It was pretty windy, sunny and cold. Once I warmed up, it was fine. I used the "Hooked on Classics" CD's and walked for @ 1 3/4 hours. Did about 6 3/4 miles, although I was aiming for 7. (nature called, and their are no porta-potties around town) I had Gatorade for the first time ever. That with the fast paced music had me on the move.

Karen, I set myself up in the last corral. Still working on my 'gameplan'. Off to a quick start? Slow at first? Susan is on the road headed "HOME" for the first time as I type, but I think that she'd like to be right there with you and Terry, along with me....front of the last corral? Hmmm. I wonder if I'll be able to keep up with Nancy and Mary Liz??

MelanieC
11-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Hey all,

Do you think it's too late to get back into the race? I just got my packet yesterday and DH said I could go if I want. I intially backed out because we were going to do an extra summer vacation, but now we are just going to Disney in the summer.

I stopped exercising in the middle of June. I was doing well from January - June. Do you think I could get back in shape enough to walk the 1/2 mile? I never could get rid of my DISCON 2005 clippie.

I'm going to look into airfare and hotel now. Do you think there is still a chance to get rooms??

karebear1
11-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Melanie- IT"S NEVER TOO LATE! You can do it! You'll have to work hard, but I'm so excited you are going to be there! I'll bet rooms are still available. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Debbie- Oh goodie!!! Terry and I have smeone else joining us in the front of the back! ;) My plan..... stay in the front of the back! Unfortunately for me, I seem to start out slowly and then get faster. I can't remember where I read this, but my goal is to get to the 10K mark in 1:30- Now- that's a 15 minute mile. When I did my 10K in October, I was at a 17:15 minute mile. I have a ways to go, but I'm gonna try. I think if I can get there at that time, the sweeper will leave me alone. Who knows.... maybe we should bring water ballons to throw at the sweeper as it approaches us! I can't imagine they would pick up a big group of women that were still all ALIVE and wanting to walk! Would they???

I walked 7 miles this morning. Tomorrow will be a rest day for me. Next Sunday..... I get to walk 8 MILES!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!:eek: How the ehck am I gonna do that while I'm out of town? We fly home on Sunday! Maybe I'll do it Wednesday and do shorter walks next weekend?? What do you all think?

Auntmeme
11-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi all - weekend is going well for everyone?

We have pretty good weather & I managed a 5.5 miler. YAHOO! I feel great & probably should have gone longer but time is always an issue:(

karen I do not remember putting down any time, how do I find out? will I have to wait till I get there? I'm sure I put the longest since I've never done this before. So you are planning on wearing shorts to walk? we will be there for only 5 days so I guess I'll pack 1 pair of pants & capris and a bathing suit. I just put my summer clothes away:rolleyes: Oh I love the marathon bars:tongue:

I found a site with reviews www.marathonguides.com, sounds like a fun time. In the guide it shows the 1/2 ending outside of the parks which disappoints me, I hope my dh can find me.

Have a starry saturday night! I have a date with dh to get ready for;)

tw1nsmom
11-06-2004, 04:46 PM
MelanieC - I agree, it's never too late! For many reasons my training has been really slow going, but I'm really stepping up the pace in hopes of finishing on time. Remember, the triumph is in the attempt.

Karen - I'll be joining the rest of the last corral crew. I can't remember specifically what I put down, but I think I said I would need the full time.

Today has been a fun day! DH took the kids for breakfast and errands, so I was able to get my walk in without feeling rushed to quit early. I did a little over 5 miles, averaging a little bit more than 16 minutes/mile.

When I got back the family wasn't home yet so I went ahead and dyed my hair (I try to do it when DH is in charge of the children...one time I tried to do it while it was just me and the kids. The kids ran around with swim goggles on because of the fumes/smell. When I was in the shower rinsing the dye out the smoke alarm went off because of the steam from the shower. I then had two freaked out 3 year olds and a 95 pound dog trying to climb in the shower with me!). I went from dingy blond with dark roots to amber brown/auburn. It's pretty close to what my natural color was when I was younger (pre-kids).

When DH, DD, and DS got home we went out to lunch and then to see The Incredibles. It was fantastic! I highly recommend it to anyone, with or without children. A lot of the humor was geared toward the adults, but the kids loved it too.

Tommorrow is a rest day for me. I'll be shooting for eight miles on next weeks long walk. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Dawn

Rachael Q
11-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Hey Karebare1,

When you said "Unfortunately for me, I seem to start out slowly and then get faster." - there is nothing unfortunate about it. It's actually better to start out slower and get faster, that way you finish strong.

Most people who start out faster and get slower, end up struggling to finish, or don't finish because they ran out of steam.

I registered for an expected finish time of 3:30 for the half. The last time I finished a 1/2 I did the first 6 and 1/2 miles in 2 hours
and the second 6 and 1/2 in 1:30.

Start slow, finish fast!

Rachael

Debbie
11-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Looks like a few of us will be walking the 8 mile route next Saturday. I'll have to take a break from report cards :tongue: because it's report card weekend coming up! Hmmm. 8 miles.........report cards.......8 miles.........report cards.......8 miles.........report cards....... As long as the weather holds up, I know which way the teeter totter will fall! :tongue:

karebear1
11-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Debbie- I caught a glimpse of your countdown - 62 DAYS!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Rachel- thank you SO MUCH for that little bit of hope! I hadn't thought about that, but I think you're right! When DH and I started our 10K we were in the back of our group- but, in the end passed amny many people- even from the group that started in front of us! I'll have to keep that in mind. We'll just pick 'em off one at a time!

Kimickey
11-07-2004, 09:45 AM
I am headed out of the door right now for a 5 mile run.

However I did run my first 5k yesterday and I'm very pround of myself. I ran a 10 minute mile. I'm hoping to increase my speed as I continue. I also met my first Dis'er yesterday at the marathon, which was very exciting.

I've taken red meats, sweets (thanks Karebear1) out of my diet. My body has already adjusted to the sweets and I no longer desire it. Bring on the fruits and veggies please!

I'll post how my run went when I return.

Kim

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
11-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Well- I perused a bit before catching up here so Karen I posted no packet yet for me and even tho I saw Molli yesterday forgot to ask her but saw she said none for her either - so OH is not covered yet!

Molli I checked registration (sent Jan 9th) and have expected time at 3:00 hours - I am sure we bumped up taking the corraling into consideration.

MelanieC - you can do it girl - and when you get a chance to get away for a few days - it's worth walking 13 miles to get a break , right! I'm sure there is a room for you too. Hope that you do make it and join us in posting here.

I am just sitting here (still in my jammies) relaxing this morning. Oh man it feels good, too ::yes:: I am still taking one more week off from walking then I hope to restart with Molli's program and just use it to finish out the training. I am going for a massage tomorrow evening (the therapist just ran Chicago and had some leg problems, so I am sure he will be just the person I need to help get this hamstring back in shape)

I am so surprised at the number of people I have bumped into lately that are training for this event. A guy at my office and his wife, Evansmom (DNiece) has several friends and just yesterday a visit to my dr's office (side note - blood drawn for cholestrol check- I am anxious to see my numbers) anyway, nurse said her husband training for a marathon in FL in Jan - I asked DIS,she said yes - (actually she suggested to him that they train together, she recently became ill can't train and go even and that bugger is going on without her- mmmmm - men!) anyway, this is a bigger event that I was thinking for Ohioans, I guess.

Oh yeah I saw Molli because there was a surprise 30th birthday party for DN - Nikki- Evansmom - boy - is she a fit looking 30!!! But, she reminded me that her birthday not until Nov 12th so she a few days yet to savor 29 ::yes:: She is still thinking she might even do the full marathon even!

You know I am going to like being "in-training" over the holidays, I think it just might make turning down some of those goodies a bit easier when I think of the reason why I'll be turning them down! Besides, Molli has wonderful places scheduled for us to eat when this is all over - Ill be ready for that ceviche in Mexico mmmmmmmmmm !

Well just heard DS arrive - off to visit a few with him.

Keep up the good work everyone !

NancyK
11-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,

We have an absolutely beautiful day here - 55 degrees and sunny. They're calling for flurries overnight! Definitely NOT looking forward to training in that. I walked 5 miles today and enjoyed what was possibly our last nice day of the year.

decaff - How did your 10k go today?

Have a fantastic week everyone!
Nancy

Auntmeme
11-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Happy to report we also have a gorgeous day:sunny: shut off the heat & opened the windows, even wearing shorts:)

Went to the park & did 4.5 miles, had to be home for football:rolleyes: not my choice. Will also be doing an 8 miler this week, I'd like to find a flat course but the park is soo beautiful with the leaves & all.

Thanks to the budget board I got my airfare this am for $350 for 3 of us:bounce: Has anyone received a bill for their room yet?

I read some other posts that there are long lines for the pasta diner and many people make a ps for other restuarants. The recommendation is to take a bus at 3:30 am :scared1: for the start. Anyone going to epcot to watch others finish the full marathon?

tw1nsmom
11-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Auntmeme - I heard the same thing about long lines at the pasta dinner. I don't think DH wants to handle that with two 4 year olds. We'll probably go to Sweet Tomatoes, another Italian/pasta place (Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill...), or some place onsite (maybe even the Pop food court). Is anyone planning on meeting for their carb. load meal?

decaff38
11-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, I did my 10 k today. Temp was 40 degrees with a 10 mi. wind. Started a bit chilly and into the wind. Asked at the turn around about time and they said 40 min. Wow I was 4 minutes ahead of my last time. I was psyched. I had my jacket off and was cruising. I really lost my steam at mile 5. I made it in 92 minutes which game me a mile time of 14.8. That is fine but I need to do that twice to finish the 1/2 Mar. I am really tired now. Need to up my training to lower my per mile time. I ended up last of the 10K racers but not last of the 1/2 marathoners. Ha! There were only 72 people signed up for the 5k,10K and 1/2 Marathon together. It was the United Way World Run Day.

Hope everyone is training well.
Have a great week!!

tootsiemolly
11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Decaff, Good for you!!!! That is a huge accomplishment. I am following MFM and did my 3 mile walk today. Next week I will do 6. I am so.... impressed with how hard all you are training. I need to catch up (if that is possible:D ) Way to go! And I haven't had any sugar!

Rachael Q
11-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Just got back from my 5 miles. Today was supposed to be rest day, and yesterday was supposed to be my long run day, but life got in the way.

Anyway today is cold (well cold for those of us in Western Canada) and it is raining on and off.

The first 3 miles I thought awful, I felt like I really was pounding the pavement, my feet felt like bricks, and my legs ached - first my ankles, then my shins, then my hips, then back down - my quads, then my calves, then my feet. I was running really slow, and couldn't get my breathing right. I amost gave up, but I would have only been annoyed with myself.

But by mile 4 I was feeling great, I finally found my stride and was very comfortable for the last 2 miles.

My time for 5.2 miles was 1h 12 mins 19 secs. That works out to 14.44 per mile. I'm happy with that. Puts me on target for a 3h 15min finish .

Cheryl N. WI
11-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Wow 9 weeks from now at this time we will be done with the 1/2 marathon! Time sure is flying and it seems to keep going faster the closer it gets!

I got in my long walk on Fri. I did 7 miles this week in a 14:30 min/mile average. I didn't do any jogging, just walked because I wanted to see how much of a difference keeping out the 1 minute intervals of jogging would make. It did make a bit of a difference when I have been adding in the joggin I have been able to maintain a little under a 14min mile pace. Either way I feel good because both times are good for finishing in time!! Fri night after my left heel was feeling prtetty sore and yesterday morning when I woke up it really hurt when I first stepped on it :( I took some Advil with breakfast and as the day went on it was feeling almost normal. I got in my crosstraining "weight lifting" tapes yesterday afternoon. This morning my heel felt fine but I didn't want to overdo it so I did a shorter walk and so far so good. I am still trying to figure out my strategy for which day this week I will get in my long walk, 8 miles for me this week too. Our Disney cruise is now less than 2 weeks away and I am busy making sure everyone has the clothes they need and it is all ironed and ready to throw in the suitcase next week!

Keep up all the great work everyone!!! We're getting close!

Cheryl

Lisa loves Pooh
11-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Debbie--I always tell my self on long days--I am a tortoise "slow and steady finishes (instead of wins) the race"--
I always end up at the back of the pack--but towards the end, I pass people and finish well! In our "stretch & nutrition" clinic the other night, a couple things were pointed out--you start out too fast--you will wear yourself out--and you will burn through your energy stores much quicker than you should. Our coaches keep telling us--it may seem annoyingly slow to have all these people shoot out at the starting line past you--but the greatest joy is when they are lagging at mile 12 or 25 and you jog right on past them :)

karebear--starting slow and getting faster is good--let's your body warm up and get used to the stress you are about to place upon it :)

Looks like it is a good training weekend for everyone :)

I did my 10 miles this morning--was seeking to break 2 hours--and then at 1:55 with 0.3 miles to go--the draw bridge goes up!! AAAACKKK...my pace was 11.86 minutes--so I would have broken the 2 hour barrier anyway--but what a disappointment to not do it for real.

Hubby was promoted on Friday--so he wanted me to celebrate with his cake--I had a small piece. I had a cookie this morning with my bagel--and then this after I had another small piece of cake.

Some sad news--my kitty cat--for all intents and purposes--blew out her knees (in human terms). ER Vet suspects all the ligaments in both of her hind legs are destroyed. Her legs are 3-4 times the size they should be due to swelling. The scary part is the x-rays--instead of the bones being aligned tip to tip, they are mis-aligned with the tips side by side in both legs. Surgery ($$$$) would be required to fix it and financially not an option. So we are praying that we can be economical and get her a double amputation. Otherwise, sadly--we may have to Euthanize her.

The odd thing about all of this is that the vet has never seen anything like it. A few times in dogs, but never in cats. He said it would have had to be severe trauma. Usually even when a cat gets hit by a car or falls--the damage is limited to broken bones--never anything like her injury. We asked our 4-year old (without prompting) questions to determine if she witnessed or did anything. It was determined that she was running in circles playing with a feather and then the back part of her body hit the table and she started meowing. I was outside with a garage sale at the time and the girls were watching a movie. My husband was at the barber and then came home and went inside. He said the cat was meowing funny (we thought it was her "time of the month" meow that never seems to go away with a spaying). She was lying down--but didn't think anything of it. We found her lying in the litterbox later in the evening.

A sister of a friend is a vet tech--so I have been in touch with her this weekend. She said that perhaps a double amputation that leaves her stubs would be best and she will speak with the vet in her office tomorrow morning to see what he can advise! They are cheaper than our regular vet--so I may just switch my records to them. Kitty is doing well--no pain relievers are available for kitties. So aside from pain--she is resting comfortably under my bed.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. We have looked into Kitty wheelchairs, but since she is not parylzed, it might be more harm than good.

Please pray for my kitty!!! I am so glad to be marathon training--otherwise, my stress level would be through the roof! We want our kitty to live--but can't seek huge debt to make that possible--least expensive living alternative is what we want that lets her live as well as possible!

Lisa

maryliz
11-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Decaff -- woohoo on that awesome 10K :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

And don't worry about your thinking "I have to do this twice for the 1/2" -- let's all remember back to our first 3 miles, and how we said to ourselves "I have to do this 3 more times, and then some" ... never thought I would make it. And now a 7 mile walk seems like a piece of cake :)

Life got in the way for me this week, even though I vowed I would somehow make the time. Tomorrow is a new day, and hopefully some new motivation will spark me into training mode. It's just so dark here now and since we're living in a new neighbourhood, I'm not totally comfortable about walking in the evenings by myself, and I don't know anyone else around here. :(

9 weeks and it's all over :hyper: Now that's a little scary!

Mary-Liz

trola2
11-08-2004, 05:48 AM
I am posting on last weeks thread...it seemed the right place to post since eerything happened on the 7th. Thank you all for your supoprt over the last many months. I felt every prayer that was sent my way.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 12 years ago. She had a lumpectomy. They "sampled" her lymph nodes to see if her cancer had spread and since it had not, they treated her with radiation, followed by 2 years of tamozifen.

5 1/2 years later, she developed a new and different type of breast cancer in the same breast. This time she had a mastectomy and after she was healed, she decided to have an "elective" mastectomy on the other side. She said she never wanted to go through all of that again, and she could just keep a pair of "girls" in her drawer and wear them when she wanted to. She refused to have reconstruction because surgery was so uncomfortable for her. She went on tamoxifen for another 5 years. She never missed a pill.

5 1/2 years later, (late June 2004) she was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Her cancer had spread to the bones, lymph system, spots on the kidneys and liver, and then as things progressed, we believe that it also spread to her brain. It is a normal progression. When she was diagnosed, she was offered chemo and was told that if she responded, she would live 8-12 months. When we pressed her doctor, he said without chemo she would "only" have 6-12 months. Looking at the math, mom decided that the possibility of gaining a couple of months was not worth the suffering of the chemo. She also was having the sack around one lung fill with fluid and having to have that drained. )Thorocentesis) She had that drained every 2 weeks for 6 weeks...a total of 4 times. The first time they got 2400 cc's of fluid. That's almost a 3 liter bottle full!! No wonder her breathing was so impaired! At the end of August when she had the final thoro done, for some reason, the lung didn't fill again. We don't know why but we do know she had developed some scar tissue inside the lining and perhaps God allowed the "leak" to be sealed off by that scarring. Whatever the reason, it really helped her tremendously, although she was then quite fearful of it happening again and not being able to breathe.

In August we had mom placed on hospice care. They were able to see some errors in her pain medication and after we got that fixed, she did well for awhile. They came for weekly visits and were of tremendous support.

On September 16, hurricane Ivan hit our area hard. We were without power for 9 days. With mom on an (electric) oxygen concentrator, we switched to portable oxygen tanks. 2 days after the storm she ran out of tanks and our oxygen supplier was hit by the storm and there was no more oxygen available. We called on the superhero powers of my brother who was able to borrow a generator and arrived at our door 13 hours later. The man flew...It's a 12 hour drive and I know I had at lest an hour's worth of shopping that I asked him to do at Wal-Mart before he came!! We were running out of supplies and when you could find things like D batteries, they were $5 each and they would limit you to only 2 at a time! Anyway....he brought the generator and mom was able to at least breathe and wait for the power.

The storm really hit her hard. She was never quite as good after that. In late October we suggested my brother come back to see mom. He was startled by the change in her.

On Nov. 2, my mom took a fall at home. She was Ok, but it really scared her. Her walking was becoming quite shaky and her home health aide that would bathe her suggested we ask for a walker cane. Mom did well on Wednesday and Thursday and adapted to the cane. On Friday she took another fall and although I was able to get her up and settled, she was starting to really hurt. Her aide came that morning and suggested we go to the ER and get her checked out. We found she had a compression fracture in her spine. They told her that there was now different treatment from what we were doing at home, so we went home.

Throughout the day Friday her mobility decreased as her pain increased. By late Friday she was unable to move from her chair or to walk. Her pain level had increased and her breathing was increasingly difficult.
At 1AM our hospice team suggested to call an ambulance and take her to the hospital.

Mom was admitted to the hospital on Saturday morning at 5AM. They were able to get on top of her pain and make her comfortable. Our pastor who is also her hospice chaplain came Saturday afternoon and spent several
hours with her and with me and Becky. Our hospice nurse also came to make sure that the pain management was going to be Ok.

By Saturday evening she slipped into a light coma and was finally able to rest. Just before midnight she got a little restless and the nurse gave her a morphine shot to ease her pain again. All through this time she
could hear us and would respond by raising her eyebrows. Around 2AM she fell into a deeper sleep and we took the opportunity to also get a nap.

My sister and I both spent a few hours switching spots…one on the bed with mom and the other in a chair next to her. We would doze along with her. At about 5:30 we both woke up completely and spoke with her a little.
Her breathing changed. She had been struggling and gasping for air for so long and it was becoming easier. By 6AM she was gently breathing and by 6:10 her breathing slowed and then she gently slipped away.

It hit me this morning that I don't need to make breakfast today for my mom. I've made her breakfast every day since June. I've sat with her and had coffee and we've shared a little quiet time together. We sat on the porch when the weather was nice and often didn't talk at all. We just enjoyed our time together. I am so going to miss my mom.

While my mom would rest of need time to herself, I would play on the computer and read the Dis. It got me through some really tough times. I know I haven’t been very active, but I did enjoy everyones’ triumphs and felt all the lows. Thank you all for helping me get through this one step at a time.

Thank you for reading to the bottom of this very long post!! We move on from here…starting today. Thank you for helping me through the past 4 ½ months….
~~Beth

Debbie
11-08-2004, 06:09 AM
Hugs and loving arms, Beth. Take care of yourself. I am so sorry and am grieving with you. Thank you for letting us know.

karebear1
11-08-2004, 08:14 AM
Beth-
I'm so sorry to hear that your Dear Mother has passed away. Please call or post if you need additional support. :hug: I'm keeping you nad your family in my prayers.

ohMom
11-08-2004, 10:00 AM
(((BETH))) i'm so very sorry for your loss -- words can't begin to ease your pain, just know you are in my prayers and my heart truly aches for you.

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

Lisa loves Pooh
11-08-2004, 12:32 PM
:grouphug:

Hugs to you Beth--sorry to hear about your mom :(

NancyK
11-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Beth,
I'm so very sorry to hear about your mom. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.
Nancy

Kimickey
11-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Beth,

:hug: from me and a :grouphug: from us

maryliz
11-08-2004, 09:17 PM
:hug: Beth. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very difficult time. We are all here for you if you need us.

Mary-Liz

ibouncetoo
11-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Beth, you and your family are in my prayers.

Please come here whenever you need to talk, cry and remember.

GoofyArt
11-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Hi Beth, It's Susan-Ontario posting on my DH's user id. I'm sending you my thoughts and praying for you during this very difficult time. I know how you feel. You don't know whether to be sad or relieved that their suffering is finally over. Take care of yourself and remember we are all with you in spirit as you go through these next few days.

Everyone else--the weather here at the Beach Club is fabulous. Sunny and 80 degrees. I am walking a bit but tonight I seem to have caught a cold. I checked out the Contemporary hill. This weekend when I'm staying at the CR I'll try and get some photos for ya'll.

Keep On, keeping on everyone!!

Cheryl N. WI
11-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Beth I just read your post about your Mom. :hug: :hug: :hug: My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. May God blee you all.

Cheryl

geetey
11-09-2004, 10:51 AM
:hug: Beth :hug:

Please accept my prayers for your family during this time. I am so sorry for your loss. God Bless.

Auntmeme
11-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Beth, So sorry to hear about your mom. A big hug to you and your family:hug: Please keep in touch, will miss you at the marathon but hopefully see you next year!

Is anyone else thinking next year?

Susan how does that hill look?
Karen any word about the shirt logo? & where is the info about the pasta dinner? I didn't see it on the disney site, did I miss it:(

I did a 4 miler this am and it was chilly - low 40's. I believe that is the temp for early am in Fl during Jan. I definitely would have liked to have had something covering my ears. I layered and after a mile or so wanted to take off the sweatshirt.

Have a terrific Tuesday everyone:sunny:

sorry to say I've had candy & a brownie & cookies - so much for trying to make it to thanksgiving - I have no will power:crazy: