PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Home To Our Own DVC Community Board!

CarolAnnC
10-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Here it is!! Our very own exciting DVC Community Board! This will be a wonderful place to discuss our exciting upcoming trips, plan DVC Meets, and gather with other DVC folks from our local areas! The possibilities are endless!

So welcome to everyone and I look forward to enjoying yet another magical place to share the DVC way of vacationing! :) :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Crissup
10-31-2004, 09:59 PM
Hey! What a neat idea! :)

WDWJWEB1
10-31-2004, 10:13 PM
This Board should really take off, a board for us DVCers what a great Idea....yipeeeeeeeee :D :bounce: :Pinkbounc

27 days and I am sooooooo ready ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo :bounce: :Pinkbounc

sheryl0521
11-01-2004, 09:14 AM
What is the difference between this board and the other DVC board?

Thanks

Crissup
11-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by sheryl0521
What is the difference between this board and the other DVC board?

The way I'm thinking is this (this is strictly my own opinion)... The original board was always supposed to be a "Trip Planning" board. However, the webmasters allowed us to use it as our own little DVC community board also. New people coming to the site looking for trip planning info have to wade through posts announcing add-ons, polls asking existing members various things, etc. A post saying "I just added on, congratulate me!" doesn't help someone plan their trip, it's simply a communication intended for the DVC community.

So, I figure if it doesn't help provide information that will help someone learn about DVC or plan their trip, then it probably belongs on the new DVC Community board.

I'm sure the mods/webmasters will clarify when they get a moment from real life. :)

DisneyAngel12
11-01-2004, 09:29 AM
I really like this idea of a community board for DVC. Thanks to all involved.

MikeSquared
11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Don't like it, ONE place for all DVC discussion was better. This is the one and only place for DVC discussion so I'll have to learn to live with it since I can't afford to start my own. Another board I read about my car has split from ONE central place into SIX boards, so I'm speaking from experience here. I'm tired of sorting through multiple boards, if you don't like a topic don't read it. It's that simple and splitting the board just complicates things.

Bexx
11-02-2004, 06:33 AM
I like it! Now we've got a DVC community board, do you think we will get a DVC tag fairy!?! :teeth:

Pa@okw95
11-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Don't see the point of this board at all. :mad:

denecarter
11-03-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Pa@okw95
Don't see the point of this board at all. :mad:

It just won't be the same.:sad2:

Jimmac
11-03-2004, 05:47 PM
The old way seemed more convenient, IMHO. :(

RuthnPaul
11-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Having two separate boards doesn't seem like community -- it seems more like a separation/divorce! I'm surprised at how "disconnected" I feel from both boards!!

Crissup
11-03-2004, 08:14 PM
There was a time when the DIS was one single board. Then, it split into two boards, then another, then another. This is the evolution of a web site. People often rave about how wonderful the DIS is, yet they've complained everytime the DIS has made another step forward.

How many votes are there for collapsing the entire DIS back into one single board? It'll be really easy since *everyone* will only have to keep track of one board. And no one will have to figure out which board they're supposed to use for their DVC questions, their Restaurant questions, their debate questions, their just fun fluff stuff, etc.

goofy4dvc
11-04-2004, 02:14 PM
I think the line is too distorted as to which board to post on. I can understand all the other separation, but in DVC case, I'm not so such that there was so much activity on it that it was necessary.

IF, however, it remains divided, I do want to thank you for changing the font and look of the new DVC Community Board to to appear more like the DVC Discussion Board. All those italics gave me eyestrain.

Thanks for all your work. I know this board takes alot of time for all of you.

ArRzrbk
11-04-2004, 03:59 PM
I too am not sure I like the idea of another board. But if it has to be, I think the OLD board should just become a place to get information on DVC in general - for those thinking of buying in or newbies with questions related to membership. THIS board could be the fun trip planning, trip dreaming, idea sharing board.

Char

Crissup
11-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ArRzrbk
if it has to be, I think the OLD board should just become a place to get information on DVC in general - for those thinking of buying in or newbies with questions related to membership. THIS board could be the fun trip planning, trip dreaming, idea sharing board.

I suspect that is what they have in mind. We're the diehards who enjoy chatting up a storm with fellow members and having fun with other like minded people. Folks like us enjoy a place where we can hang out and talk Disney, etc, even when we may not have a trip currently in the works. But, their are folks out there who have no interest in visiting any Internet discussion boards unless they are specifically looking for something. Pete, his webmasters and mods have done a great job at making the DIS one of the leading, if not *the* leading, Internet resources related to Disney trip planning information. However, they can't sit back and rest unless they're willing to allow the next guy to pass them by. Internet leaders rise and fall at an amazing rate. For this site to stay out front, they need to constantly reevaluate and address the needs of *everyone*, not just those of us who are already here.

Jimbo
11-09-2004, 10:20 PM
I must say that I don't understand the split. At all.

My BWV trip report got moved here. OK, I guess. Maybe trip reports belong here. But someone else's HHI trip report didn't get moved.

I'm thinking now that questions belong on the old board, and socializing belongs on the new one. Most of the threads on the old board seem to be phrased in the form of a question. But there's a thread here asking for comparisons between OKW and BWV, and another asking about DVC vs. AP discounts. So shouldn't they be on the other board?

Meanwhile, the old DVC board has an occupancy thread. And both boards have threads about watches.

Maybe this will all work itself out, but I doubt it. There's isn't a dime's worth of difference between the boards that I can see.

goofy4dvc
11-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Jimbo
I must say that I don't understand the split. At all.

My BWV trip report got moved here. OK, I guess. Maybe trip reports belong here. But someone else's HHI trip report didn't get moved.

I'm thinking now that questions belong on the old board, and socializing belongs on the new one. Most of the threads on the old board seem to be phrased in the form of a question. But there's a thread here asking for comparisons between OKW and BWV, and another asking about DVC vs. AP discounts. So shouldn't they be on the other board?

Meanwhile, the old DVC board has an occupancy thread. And both boards have threads about watches.

Maybe this will all work itself out, but I doubt it. There's isn't a dime's worth of difference between the boards that I can see.

EXACTLY!!

If the DVC board is going to be split up, please provide us consistant guidance so we know what is to be posted where.

rocketriter
11-11-2004, 09:12 PM
I suspect that one reason why people don't like or understand the split is because the two new sections are not usefully named. "Community" and "Program" don't tell us much.

MaryJ
11-12-2004, 09:11 AM
I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about the new board, but it would be nice if this board could be added to the drop down menu in the forum jump so that I could go directly to it without having to use the link in the first DVC board.

doubletrouble_vb
11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
I'd like clarification also. I can't quite visualize why the DVC board needed to be spit this way. If I were planning a trip I'd want to see a trip report to get an idea of what to do and what to avoid.

I'll agree the congratulate me I added on/I'm a member threads could have gone into their own board. And maybe some of the other threads could have gone all the way over to the trip planning board...questions like whats the best way to drive down from X.

PHILCT
11-29-2004, 01:04 AM
I still don't get the separation for the new dvc community board.

When do I use this board versus the original one?

Confused in Connecticut

sjdisneywedding
12-13-2004, 11:46 AM
I'll add my comment as well. I do understand the idea as to why the split, but its not working. Name the boards better.

disney vacation club forum and dvc community board are way too similar in names and concepts. there is no distinct difference between the 2.

thats the reason you can find a trip report in either or questions about purchasing dvc in both.

It could be a great idea and make it alot easier to find and ask about certain info if people knew where they were going.

Jimbo
12-14-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm with you, sjdisneywedding. If no one is sure what posts belong where, you'll always have to read both boards. How is that better? It's not like the DVC board's volume was that high. I'm still baffled by this.

DVCgrace
12-14-2004, 07:24 PM
Two DVC boards = too much time to keep up!

Confusing going from one to the other - please reconsider and bring them back together!

Mike
12-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Why on earth would this thread be moved to the DVC Community board? I don't get the logic. Wouldn't this information be useful to a lot of people who don't like to use points on the weekend? Could someone please explain the rationale behind the decision to move it from the DVC Board to the DVC Community Board? Thanks.

kathleena
12-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Why on earth would this thread be moved to the DVC Community board? I don't get the logic. Wouldn't this information be useful to a lot of people who don't like to use points on the weekend? Could someone please explain the rationale behind the decision to move it from the DVC Board to the DVC Community Board? Thanks.

Good question, as there is a thread over there now re: APs for DVCers. You would think they go hand in hand. Ultimately I think it depends on the mod who sees the thread. I'm still confused and don't like going to two boards to try to see everything.

As for rationale, ummmm, don't know.

WebmasterDoc
12-27-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mike
Good question, as there is a thread over there now re: APs for DVCers. You would think they go hand in hand. Ultimately I think it depends on the mod who sees the thread. I'm still confused and don't like going to two boards to try to see everything.

As for rationale, ummmm, don't know.

Thanks for asking! :smooth:

This thread is about AP rates at non-DVC resorts and, while it may be interesting to some DVC members (as are most threads on the DVC Community Board), it is still not a DVC topic.

The other thread currently on the first page of the DVC Board is an analysis of the breakeven point for AP's using the DVC new discount versus other ticket options. Since it is a direct discussion of a DVC perk, it is appropriate for the DVC Board.

Previously, this thread might have been moved to the Resorts Board (since it's NOT a DVC topic), but instead has been moved to the DVC Community Board (since it does seem to be of interest to a few DVC members).

While a few may still long for a single DVC Board (we now have THREE and have had TWO for years), the decision was made to create a DVC Community Board to provide a place for non-DVC discussion (such as this thread) of interest to DVC members. From the messages received thus far, the vast majority have embraced the DVC Community concept and it seems to be here to stay. The post traffic on the DVC forums also warrants and verifies the additional board.

Perhaps if the volume of posts diminishes, a decision will be made to go back to one board. (At one time, the entire DIS consisted of only one board.)

DukeStreetKing
12-27-2004, 10:40 PM

This thread is about AP rates at non-DVC resorts and, while it may be interesting to some DVC members (as are most threads on the DVC Community Board), it is still not a DVC topic.

The other thread currently on the first page of the DVC Board is an analysis of the breakeven point for AP's using the DVC new discount versus other ticket options. Since it is a direct discussion of a DVC perk, it is appropriate for the DVC Board.

Previously, this thread might have been moved to the Resorts Board (since it's NOT a DVC topic), but instead has been moved to the DVC Community Board (since it does seem to be of interest to a few DVC members).

While a few may still long for a single DVC Board (we now have THREE and have had TWO for years), the decision was made to create a DVC Community Board to provide a place for non-DVC discussion (such as this thread) of interest to DVC members. From the messages received thus far, the vast majority have embraced the DVC Community concept and it seems to be here to stay. The post traffic on the DVC forums also warrants and verifies the additional board.

Perhaps if the volume of posts diminishes, a decision will be made to go back to one board. (At one time, the entire DIS consisted of only one board.)

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00

:D

Mike
12-28-2004, 07:49 PM

Thank you for the explanation Doc. But with all due respect, I have to admit that I don't agree. The moderators have to do what they see fit. But in my feeble mind, I expect the DVC Community board to contain the "fluff" threads (welcome home's, wish me luck on ROFR, trip reports, etc) and I expect the DVC board to contain any information that would be helpful to the DVC members when planning trips. Since a fair number of members chose to stay at other resorts on Fri and Sat night and they use AP codes to do this, I think this is useful information that belongs on the DVC forum.
I do not read the DVC Community board (unless I am redirected by a moved thread) because I don't want to have to scan through all of the "fluff" threads (and I don't mean that to sound negative to the DVC Community Board folks) to find the handful that I am interested in. I just don't see the "value" in moving a thread like this to the DVC Community Board as I really think this is splitting hairs. You say it is not a DVC topic but it is a topic that could affect how a lot of DVC members book their trips. One should not have to surf multiple boards to get information that is so closely related.
I would like any thread that has useful information for the DVC membership at-large (either specifically about the DVC program or strategic or logistical information about booking DVC trips) to be left on the DVC forum. I think this would be more logical to the users who still seem to be confused over the management of these threads yet still allow the goal of reducing the overall number of threads on the DVC forum to be attained.

Happy Holidays!

DrTomorrow
12-29-2004, 04:43 AM
Thank you for the explanation Doc. But with all due respect, I have to admit that I don't agree. [...] and I expect the DVC board to contain any information that would be helpful to the DVC members when planning trips. [...] That's the problem - there's a whole raft of non-DVC topics that might be of interest to DVCers that I'd rather not clutter up the DVC forum: Park hours, rental car codes, parade schedule, zebra feeding times, etc. IMHO, Doc explained it quite well: threads that aren't directly related to DVC, but are of interest to and have a bearing on DVC owners, now get moved to the DVCCB. Is the distinction a bit gray? You bet, but I'm starting to see a pattern to the moved threads....

Mike
12-29-2004, 10:33 AM
That's the problem - there's a whole raft of non-DVC topics that might be of interest to DVCers that I'd rather not clutter up the DVC forum: Park hours, rental car codes, parade schedule, zebra feeding times, etc. IMHO, Doc explained it quite well: threads that aren't directly related to DVC, but are of interest to and have a bearing on DVC owners, now get moved to the DVCCB. Is the distinction a bit gray? You bet, but I'm starting to see a pattern to the moved threads....

DrTomorrow - I agree with you that topics such as park hours, rental car codes, parade schedules, and zebra feeding times should not clutter up the DVC forum. This topic, however, could possibly have a direct bearing on how many points may be required for an upcoming trip which could affect banking or borrowing strategies. A lot of people rely on the AP codes for Fri and Sat nights and plan their points accordingly. If they are no longer going to be available, that will have a direct bearing on the DVC members and this information should not get buried on the DVC Community board IMHO. As I said, the moderators have the authority to do as they see fit but I think this is overkill.

Happy Holidays!