PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for upstate NYers???

samsid99
10-30-2004, 10:14 AM
Hello to all again,

I am just wondering if anyone has come across any flight deals from syracuse, buffalo, rochester or albany to orlando for feb 2005. My two dd (8 and 10) and myself would really like to return during feb. break. I am a school teacher so I have to stick with the school calendar despite the crowds.

So far the flights I have researched have been very expensive! Do a lot of you coming for the northeast drive down this time of year. I would be driving alone....husband hates the dis and won't come. So driving would def. take me two days.

Thanks for any input!

tw1nsmom
10-30-2004, 10:42 AM
What are the dates of your February break? What would you consider cheap?

canwegosoon
10-30-2004, 02:42 PM
It is expensive right now...Last year right before christmas I remember there was $99 flights on United, but this year with the gas prices, I think we are looking at $129. A cheaper alternative I have found is Southeast out of Newburg($69-129). Does Jet blue fly out of SYR or Buffalo?...Instead of driving down to FL...what about driving to a close (2-3 hour away airport or even NYC to try to get a Jet Blue flight). It is less expensive to drive, but it is a haul...you might want to check out the transportation board for times and routes. I just booked the March break for $308 rt pp (a hundered more than I wanted to pay). As teachers it is really hard for us to take advantage of the "deals" because we are locked into the highest demand weeks. Another friend who is a teacher up here tries to take a fri/mon off of a non-holiday week to travel on. She managed to get $49 on southwest a few weeks ago.
If possible I would try to find another adult to go with you to help with the driving. Or if your car is big enough perhaps you could car pool with another small family. I am trying to plan our april trip and hoping to get SWA($79-99) but if I can't I am seriously considering driving I can not do another $1500 for plane tickets.:crazy:

samsid99
10-30-2004, 04:08 PM
My Feb. break is from the 19th thru the 27th. If I can't fly out of Syracuse, Rochester is the next best. I live about two hours from Syracuse, little over three from Rochester , 5 from buffalo and/or 4 from Albany. Non of these airports get "super" deals. The cheapest I have ever been able to fly is right around 200 a piece from syracuse. once in jan 2001, and last july .

I would love to have a friend go with...but I seem to be the odd man out. All others have husbands that will go, or they won't go without husband. It doesn't bother me to leave grumpy at home! he he he :)

I will keep searching and thinking....I really want a mid year trip back to my favorite place. I am worse than my kids.

Thanks!

DMRick
10-30-2004, 06:44 PM
We never go during break (feb 21-25), but this year the grands couldn't miss school. We couldn't even find full fairs to Albany on the 27th, so we are coming home on the 28th and they are missing a day of school. We paid (ugh!!) $138 going and 178 returning each. Thank God hubby and I had free tickets for us.. but still, 7 tickets at those prices were terrible. I actually tried to book on line, but each time I got to the buying part, they were gone, so finally I called and they gave me the website prices I mentioned. The cheaper flights filled up within 3 minutes of being released. Of course I keep checking. I checked Newburgh as well, and what I could get was ever more than Albany.

samsid99
10-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Yikes...it looks like if we go ....we will definitely be driving....I guess I will start researching that. :) have a wonderful trip.

patriciah2
10-30-2004, 09:26 PM
try independence or jet blue. Go right their web site not through travelocity etc. Also US air may offer specials - but don't know and I don'r think you can count on them

Lucky4me
10-31-2004, 05:57 AM
Last year Airtran out of Rochester dropped their prices for Feb. break in December for a couple of days. You have to check daily. I think I got them for $200 rt.
Maybe you could keep driving as a back up if the airfare doesn't come through.
Good luck!:)

kilee
10-31-2004, 11:43 AM
We have both Jetblue and Southwest flying out of Buffalo. However, almost all schools (and by next year it will be all) have off President's Day week in this area. At least in Erie County and many of the immediate surrounding counties. I know our original intention was to go then. However, I think it's becoming to expensive and crowded so we are looking at other (drive to) destinations.

carolb3
10-31-2004, 08:44 PM
My husband is also a teacher, so we have to go during President's Week. I booked our airfare out of Buffalo (we live in a Rochester suburb) about a month ago. We were lucky to get $202 on northwest www.nwa.com I originally had booked it at $245 pp,and when I looked the next day it went down. So I rebooked and then cancelled the first reservation (NW gives you 24 hours to cancel.) Anyway, I researched airfares for about 2 weeks prior to booking and at that time they were running around $250 or so on average, but I think they are much higher now.

What I noticed was that the websites like orbitz and expedia did not show all the available fares. For example, they did not show the NW fare I got. So, be sure to go the airlines Web sites directly to look. Also, NW's airfares seem to go up and down. I think I just happened to catch it on the right day at the right time, as the morning I booked it, the fares were much higher. Anyway, keep trying - just keep looking and hopefully something will pop up! Also, I go Pop Century for $74 per night with the code. This is a good price, since it is prime season.

carolb3
10-31-2004, 08:56 PM
I just did a quick check on www.NWA.com and BUF to MCO on 2/20 - 2/26 is $284.50. Not all that great, but under $300 and lower than what I expected. When we went 2 years ago, I paid $326 pp for President's Week!!

samsid99
10-31-2004, 09:43 PM
thanks for the tips...I will keep looking and checking back.

I found cheap fares from independance for christmas eve through new years eve all three of us could fly for 650, but leaving DH on Christmas is different than President's Day!! :)

Maybe I will luck out and find something for Feb!! If not more money to stay longer in July.....:)

DMRick
10-31-2004, 09:46 PM
It hurt to pay $306 for our upcoming Feb trip, when we've been paying a tad over $49 each way from Albany. The fare's weren't as big a problem as actually getting seats. The cheaper ones were going within seconds of the release.I'd try to book online, and by the time I got to the end, to fill in all the info, they'd be taken. We're going the 22nd - 28th.

DMRick
10-31-2004, 09:51 PM
Just found this one for NW out of Albany..but of course that's coming home on Monday. We would have saved $560! We woudl have gotten there several hours later.:

$226.40 average price per person
Northwest Airlines 1517

Booking Class(es): T
Fare Basis Codes: T21R254N
Ticket Designators:
Tue, Feb 22
1hr 56min
3:55pm Depart Albany (ALB)
5:51pm Arrive Detroit (DTW)
Plane Change

Northwest Airlines 416

Ticket Designators:
Tue, Feb 22
2hr 33min
7:00pm Depart Detroit (DTW)
9:33pm Arrive Orlando (MCO)

Northwest Airlines 431

Ticket Designators:
Mon, Feb 28
2hr 41min
5:20pm Depart Orlando (MCO)
8:01pm Arrive Detroit (DTW)
Plane Change

Northwest Airlines 1514

Ticket Designators:
Mon, Feb 28
1hr 30min
8:55pm Depart Detroit (DTW)
10:25pm Arrive Albany (ALB)

Letsbgoofy
11-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Have you tried places like Expedia and yahootravel? My niece was able to get a cheap rate from Binghamton over Thanksgiving a few weeks ago. It was even less from Syracuse, but she didn't want to have an hour drive.

samsid99
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Yes, I have....I think I am just going to have to get lucky and as Feb break gets closer maybe I will luck out and catch a price war or something....however I am still finding those cheap fares from christmas eve to new year's eve mighty tempting!!!! I wish I could talk DH into it!!!!

lovingthemouse
11-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Just another thought- we also teach, and have the same problems finding inexpensive airfare- this year we found it much cheaper to fly into Tampa- just another thought for you. Granted, it is an hour drive over to Orlando, but for the $100 we saved, it is worth it. Hope you find some great flight. Caroline:teacher:

Charleneluvsdisney
11-02-2004, 12:28 PM
I second flying into Tampa - we are leaving Buffalo during the middle of President's week (23rd) and are paying $60 on Southwest to fly into Tampa. I know your dates aren't really flexible, but it might be worth checking.

samsid99
11-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks I will check out tampa right now....that would mean though I would have to rent a car yes?? No town car service that far away I am thinking.

DMRick
11-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Doesn't help us from Albany to fly to Tampa, since we would fly to Orlando and change planes LOL!

Keep checking. We just changed our flights (gosh SW must hate to hear I'm calling, I've made so many changes) and got in (all 9 of us) to the $116 one of our ways, instead of the $138. Less stops too, so we saved some fees.

Pigsty333
11-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Independence Air had these rates:

$199.00 USD
$199.00 USD

Mon, 21 Feb 05
Flight 1542
Flight 10 7:00 am Depart Syracuse, NY (SYR)
8:15 am
10:00 am Connect Washington, DC / Dulles (IAD)
12:14 pm Arrive Orlando, FL (MCO)

$199.00 USD
$199.00 USD

Mon, 21 Feb 05
Flight 1546
Flight 3 1:35 pm Depart Syracuse, NY (SYR)
3:02 pm
3:50 pm Connect Washington, DC / Dulles (IAD)
6:00 pm Arrive Orlando, FL (MCO)
$99.00 USD
$99.00 USD

Mon, 21 Feb 05
Flight 1548
Flight 5 6:25 pm Depart Syracuse, NY (SYR)
7:55 pm
8:45 pm Connect Washington, DC / Dulles (IAD)
10:59 pm Arrive Orlando, FL (MCO)

Also, try www.sidestep.com

mickeem
11-04-2004, 10:01 AM
I have been looking at Independence air out of Rochester... Looks like they are about 50 dollars cheaper than Airtran for two tickets...

Indep. Air (http://www.flyi.com)