PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever notice who's bidding up the auctions for meal vouchers on ebay?

Kellydelly
10-29-2004, 02:22 PM
I think the people selling them have many fake or unused ebay accounts that they use to bid up their own auctions. There are lots of bids from people that have zero feedback but have been members for a year or more :rolleyes: . Very suspicious :mad: ! I was bidding on some last nite but within 12 hours they went from $30 up to $86 for 6 of them. I'm going to just join hotwire and get some there for the actual cost and save myself the trouble of bargain hunting on ebay. Obviously not enough people are aware of the actual value of the vouchers!

kashkdz
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
That's the right decision. Too many people don't seem to know (how they don't know--I'm not really sure) the actual value of the vouchers. I've yet to see anyone get a bargain for the vouchers on ebay; most cases the Q+C vouchers (around $11/piece and incl free shipping), have sold for $15.00 or more and that doesn't include the sellers shipping. Hey--I'm not against someone making a buck or two...but the ebay prices for the vouchers are ridiculous.

My advice is to check out www.dealpass.com (formerly www.connections123.com), or go thru www.hotwire.com.

got2travel
10-29-2004, 02:49 PM
I've wondered about that too. Just when you think you're actually going to win an auction that's within a good price range, someone comes in with a ridiculous bid that makes the price jump sometimes to twice what the vouchers are worth. I finally gave up and joined hotwire savings. Got my vouchers in just a few days.

NHLFAN
10-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Kelly,

It's the norm for Ebay auctions for most of the bidding to happen within the last few hours of the auctions end...

I paid $15 for my vouchers on Ebay last year.

Just make sure the shipping and "handling" charges aren't too out of line...that's how some of the auctions end up closing for less.

send me a PM...as I don't want to post here on how I received a few last year. :teeth:

Doug

ellyn2000
10-29-2004, 03:03 PM
If you join Hotwire Savings Club you can immediately call the 800 # and get your membership # and place an order right away. You'll have your vouchers in 4-5 days, at cost and free shipping. I can't believe people are constantly paying outrageous amounts PLUS sometimes greatly inflated shipping. I check out the voucher auctions sometimes just to allow myself to feel superior for a moment or two.

2Disneybuggs
10-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I just sold a leftover one on ebay and made a vey good profit. I did not shill bid. You can't assume that because an item does well that shill bidding is involved.

hezreck
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
I got a good deal on Ebay buying vouchers. You just have to do your research and know what they are worth.

I got 4 Q&C vouchers for $42.00 that included shipping.
Also got 2 adult VKL and 2 child VKL for $75.00 total.
I spent many hours checking and rechecking for good prices, and just lucked out with winning them.

I'm using them on our upcoming trip at RFC and Le Cellier.:wave:

Tiggerlover48
10-29-2004, 05:36 PM
I thought that too, that someone is upping the price on the vouchers. I wouldn't make such a jump in my bid either. That's why I haven't bothered. I'm glad to hear others, have gotten a bargain.

bettyann29
10-29-2004, 06:42 PM
I agree that you just have to know what things are worth and know up front what you are willing to pay for it.. I dont think its the sellers fault that items get bidded up higher than their worth.. its the bidders.... I could see how someone could do this to their own stuff to get the bids higher but if everyone knew what they were worth than that last person wouldnt bid on it when they saw that price..

The one thing that irritates me is the ones that have shipping so outrageous.. I figure the shipping price in the price that Im willing to pay for that item and if its too high I just pass and find another one.. But the other side to it is that the shipping price is listed and if someone is willing to pay it, then that is their fault for not reading it.. which I be happens all the time..

hellooothere
10-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Hi,
For those of us up in Canada our only option is to bid on Ebay as we can not order through Hotwire or dealpass. I know that if I had access to either of these clubs I would never bid on Ebay items. But alas - us poor Canucks - if we want to pre pay our meals ebay is the only way.

ceecee
10-29-2004, 07:44 PM
I sold my leftovers on Ebay. 4 Q & C for $48.00 and $5.00 insured shipping. They actually went to Canada. I paid $11.50 for them and the membership fee to Connections which I belonged to for one year. I made no profit with the Ebay and Paypal fee but I was able to sell them. I bought some on Ebay a few years ago to avoid the hassle of cancelling Connections and being billed several times as had happened before. You just have to know the price on these as well as everything else that is sold on Ebay.

Kellydelly
10-29-2004, 08:40 PM
My point was that I do know how much I can buy them for from connections or hotwire. Apparently there are plenty of people bidding on them on ebay who don't. And there are an awful lot of old ebay registered bidders with zero feedback jacking up the bids :( . It looks like a racket. Those that got the vouchers at cost or below were darn lucky because I've only seen one auction for a couple of premium lunch vouchers that went for just a couple dollars more than their value. Besides that the ending prices have been ridiculous. But it's good to know that Canadians are benefitting from buying them on ebay even with inflated prices :D . I'm not saying that I wouldn't list any leftover vouchers I have, either. I would start the prices at just what I paid for them ::yes:: ! And not charge a million dollars to ship, either :teeth: .

DMRick
10-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Apparently there are plenty of people bidding on them on ebay who don't.

Not everyone has a credit card, and so some people bid on ebay and pay via Paypal or check.
I don't think it's fair to assume any high price on shipping or ending price means the seller is doing something wrong. It's up to the buyer to look at the total price before bidding. I know my leftover vouchers went for a lot more than I would have bid, and the shipping was higher because I offered Priority if wanted, or for my protection certified mail. Most all of my vouchers were bid on over and over by zero's, and I can assure you I didn't bid on my own items. I actually sold most of mine to zero's, and 50% to Canada. If you think they are going for too much, then obviously you shouldn't bid on them. But for some, it's still worth it, obviously, or they wouldn't be selling so many on eBay.
I've got another order going in, and I'm buying some for Canadian's from this board (at my cost, plus shipping for them). But when I come back from my second trip, if I have leftover's, you can bet I'll put them on eBay..with it in mind, to make some extra money. It's great some people put them up for just what they paid (and since they would be satisfied for that, they can offer them as buy it now's). But I put stuff up on eBay with the idea to make money. The only way a bidder can be taken advantage of, is if they allow it. They can do their homework just like I do, before I bid.
It looks like a racket
I think that is a very unfair assumption...unless you know for sure (and then you can report it to eBay), you are most likely wrong..just based on my knowledge of how my cert's were bid on.

hellooothere
10-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi
I am one of those 0's (well not in that way) but I have no feedback yet! The only reason I went on ebay was to buy these vouchers which I found out about them from you lovely people! I won my first item (4 quick casual) the other day and I paid right away but my seller hasn't posted feedback yet! I hope he does then I will be a #1 and feel somewhat validated. I did know what their value was and I did pay a bit more for them but we plan on going to Beaches and Cream with them so will make sure we get our moneys worth.
I am going to bid on some Premium Lunch Vouchers as we have a special lunch planned at Rain Forest Cafe and at CRT (my twin daughters are turning 4 while we are at Disneyworld). I hope hope hope the bidding doesn't get to high on these for me. At least our $ is doing quite well right now.

I am willing to bet that a lot of the 0's are just average Canadian schmucks like me who just want to prepay their meals so they can preplan spending.

imsayin
10-30-2004, 08:47 AM
If you suspect schill bidding on ebay, you can always report it. It does happen, and it isn't allowed.

DMRick
10-30-2004, 03:29 PM
If you suspect schill bidding on ebay, you can always report it.

I'll be one of those she'd be reporting, since what she thinks is shill bidding, is just how my voucher auctions sell. Zero feedback, long term ebay member, high end bid..and higher shipping (although it's actual shipping costs..Priority and certified). I've never bid on my own auctions..and yet people bid the prices up..and all on their own. You can report shil bidding..but you also have to give eBay some proof. I've seen none.

Trixiezzz
10-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by hellooothere
Hi
....I am one of those 0's (well not in that way) but I have no feedback yet! The only reason I went on ebay was to buy these vouchers which I found out about them from you lovely people! I won my first item (4 quick casual) the other day and I paid right away but my seller hasn't posted feedback yet! .....

A lot of sellers wait until you've posted feedback before they give you feedback. It's a way to protect themselves from unwarranted negatives.

figment27
10-31-2004, 03:45 AM
I think some people who do not sell on eBay are unaware of the associated fees of auctioning an item. I believe that some of the sellers open their auctions with a minimum bid of whatever it costs to cover these fees, and, a modest amount for the time spent putting the auction up, answering any emails regarding the item, the cost of packing material, the time spent driving to the post office, standing in line to mail the item, etc.
I believe most people are trying to make a small profit on their items, not GIVE them away! At least I know I am, and I do not resort to shilling to make that profit!

We just returned from our trip to WDW, and I had four Q&C vouchers leftover. I had purchased from hotwiresavingsclub.com for $11.50 each.
(I also had several "0" feedback bidders on my auction.)

Here is the breakdown on the 4 Q&C I did sell:
Opening bid =$48.00 ($12.00 each)
Ending bid = $62.80 (plus additional $2.00 S&H charge, $2.20 for actual cost of $100.00 worth of insurance, which was optional to the buyer)

When all the fees were deducted, each voucher ended up to be $15.57 each. So I made an outlandish profit of $16.28 for about two hours worth of my time!
Oh yeah, I also included a printout of where to go to MAXIMIZE the value of the vouchers.
It as been my personal experience that the majority of eBay sellers are professional, trustworthy, helpful individuals who sell quality items. It seems unfair when a potential buyer accuses another of dishonesty because they didn't win the item for the bargain price they expected!
I do apologize for the length, and tone, of this reply but I feel "oh, so much better now.
Figment

imsayin
10-31-2004, 06:54 AM
If you suspect schill bidding on ebay, you can always report it.

I wasn't agreeing that this was what was happening on these auctions, simply stating that there is a process in place on Ebay to take care of these things, if in fact, that is what is going on. I do agree that these vouchers sell high and at the last minute, probably with a bidding war between a few people and that doesn't mean anything dishonest is happening.

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 07:57 AM
The one thing I have noticed is that people do not point out in the description how many vouchers it is for in some cases. Right now there is a bidder who is bidding 80.00 + CDN for 1 Premium Adult Voucher. I don't think the bidder realises it is a Dutch Auction. I actually emailed the person to advise them and hope they notice and can somehow withdraw their bid. The seller has clearly stated it is a dutch auction on the actual description if you read through.

Oh and thanks for the info about the feedback. I am a 1 one. YEAH!!

Kellydelly
10-31-2004, 09:01 AM
Sorry, I just happened to notice when trying to bid on these myself that many of the auctions get outrageous bids and there are tons of zero feedback bidders (that have been registered for a long time). I just think it's very strange! One particular bidder had 3 pages of bids in the last week, if you check his bid history. I'm not saying that everyone selling those vouchers is a sheister, obviously that isn't the case! I have been a member of ebay for 2 years now and I know all about selling, bidding, and buying. I am one who doesn't pad my shipping to avoid fees and increase my profit. I'm not accusing anyone here of being dishonest :eek: . When I posted this I was really thinking that the majority of posters here knew how to get the vouchers for less at hotwire anyway and so getting ripped off on ebay was something that people not "in the know" about hotwire were experiencing. I still stand behind my thoughts that some of those voucher sellers are probably bidding them up. Nobody has to agree with me! I mean apparently there are some people that feel that paying $25 or more for a basic fast food counter lunch is fine! I'm not sure if that rate is still a good deal for someone in Canada? Oh well, this was just an observation. Take it or leave it!

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi Kellydelly,
No - $25 is not a good deal for a fast food lunch in Canada!

I can see where your theory came from - I just wanted to give you some information on some of the bidders so you would know that some of what you so is just normal bidding.

I paid $60 cdn for 4 Q&C vouchers. We will use these to go to Beaches and Cream on our first night for dinner (use two vouchers) and then Peppercorn Market the next day for lunch.
$30 for a nice sit down lunch with yummy desserts. Sounds like a good deal to me!

I guess my reasons for spending more than they are worth are
1) Can't join Hotwire or dealpass
2) Prepay lunches and dinner helps with planning etc.
3) Experience restaurants we wouldn't normally go out of our way to enjoy!

I am more worrked about the person who is bidding on the Premium Adult Voucher that is now at $81.19 cdn. Yikes!
I think the $25 lunch is sounding like a pretty good deal!

hockey mom
10-31-2004, 09:38 AM
Kellydelly- I also have to agree that unfortunately there are a some few individuals that would do that. This is by no means implying that all the sellers are using this practice.

As a Canadian I know what the value of a Q&C voucher is worth and would never pay over $12 for one and only if I was going to Pepper Market. I have been lucky in the past at finding a few good deals on E-bay or very nice Dis'rs who will send me some but I would never pay those infalted prices.

At the end of my trip in April I had 3 VKL vouchers left because of a flu that ran through our family and I knew I could come back and sell them on E-bay but in the end I handed them to a family and said 'Have A Disney Day". The look on their faces was better, for me, than the potential profit.(and by this I am not saying selling leftovers are wrong- this is just what I preferred to do)

filet1970
10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Also from Canada so my only choice was to buy them from Ebay! I was also a 0 bid. Ibought 6 Q&C and 2 VKL in 3 bids. I don't remember the exact price for Q&C's but it wasn't more than 15$ and the VKL 32$ and of course I took into account the shipping fees. Two 2 of the bids were from the same seller so I saved on shipping! The other seller charged no shipping fee!
Saw ridiculous amounts specially for the Q&C... not the 80$ mentionned but a lot were sold for around 40$ each and I do mean a lot of them! Some sellers had starting bids which were higher than the value of the vouchers....30$ for a Q&C. I just couldn't believe it!:eek:
Thank god I'd been a good little girl and done my research before bidding! Thanks for all the good info dis'ers!:worship:
PS if you're buying on ebay make sure to look at the fine print of the offers before putting down your bid and watch out for those dutch auctions...

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
hockeymom

Well like I said spending $15 on a voucher so I can have a nice sit down lunch with my family for $30 (tip included) at a Disneyworld resort is a good deal to me! And you know what if both the buyer and the seller feel like they got a good deal then it really shouldn't be anybody else's business imho.
If I could find a voucher for $12 I would be very happy to purchase.

Have a nice day! Happy trick or treating!

Kellydelly
10-31-2004, 10:19 AM
I also had no idea till I started this thread that Canadians couldn't get the vouchers from hotwire or any other discount sites, so consider me enlightened ::yes:: !

DMRick
10-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I also have to agree that unfortunately there are a some few individuals that would do that.

Of course you have no proof of this at all. I started my vouchers for what I paid for them, and sold them for more than double, thanks to a few people in a bidding war. Should I have told the people that even though this is an auction..I'd like to refund part of their bid, because they overpaid? Good grief..people often overpay on eBay..at least in my eyes, but maybe not in theirs. Perhaps they planned on staying and eating at Peppermarket, where the $22 or $25 each, would still represent a savings if they get the prime rib dinner, dessert, drink, tax, and tip. Or maybe they would break out a little above even at All Stars cafeteria (pizza, cheese and fruit, pie alamode and large orange juice, tax), but wanted to prepay. If you don't care if you make money on your aucitons, then you should put them up as buy it now..and make someone very happy because they saved money, but it's not fair of you to comment on how high my (or anyone elses) auctions go, and assume they may be shilled.
I actually emailed the person to advise them and hope they notice and can somehow withdraw their bid.
This is called auciton interference. If you get reported, you may very well (and deservedly so) be suspended from eBay. I suggest you read the eBay rules, and not interfer. I would be report you in a heartbeat if you interferred in my auction. It's up to the bidders to read the auction and the TOS...it's not up to someone who decides not to bid, because they feel the price is too high, to decide for another person.

Kellydelly
10-31-2004, 12:13 PM
There is a difference between selling a few extra vouchers from your trip and buying them specifically to sell them on ebay and make a profit! You have to admit that there probably are individuals out there doing so and possibly shilling their auctions to get the most profit out of them! If you got a nice profit from people who had no idea what the purchase price of the vouchers is, then good for you! No need to get defensive :( ! I didn't mean this to start an argument or to accuse anyone here of shilling their auctions. I just made an observation about some of the auctions I was watching. Maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm wrong :duck: !

hockey mom
10-31-2004, 12:19 PM
helloothere- you will love Pepper market for a nice sit down dinner and excellent value with the voucher. Like I said I would not pay over $12 unless I knew we were going to Pepper Market., where even $15/voucher is a bargain. The steaks are excellent;)

DMrick- you are taking this way to personally. No there is no proof one way or the other but we all know there is always a few bad apples in every bunch so it is really not your place to say that this "shilling" does not ever happen.

DMRick
10-31-2004, 01:00 PM
so it is really not your place to say that this "shilling" does not ever happen.

Since I didn't say that no shilling takes place on eBay. I"m not sure why you are saying I did. I said I've seen no proof from what's been given here on the vouchers. When people start saying that something is being shilled, then someone on this board may feel uneasy about a bid they may have made. I don't think that is fair to most of the sellers. If you think it's a shill, report it. eBay can look at the names and decide. I recognize a lot of the voucher sellers ebay ID's and a good part of them post on this board..ones that are up right now. Several may appear to one person as shilling, but without proof, it's just a persons opinion, and that opinion, while may be correct, is more than likely (IMO on whatit's being based on) wrong. Why ruin sales for others? When someone starts writing to bidders and telling them that, you can say I take it personal..and you would be right. I take that very personal..they could be writing to my buyers (although I don't have any vouchers up right now, and prob won't until March). That is auction interferance...which is, according to eBay, right up there with shilling.

DMRick
10-31-2004, 01:03 PM
By the way Hockey mom..I always order extra vouchers for my friends up in Canada. Just from this thread I've gotten some email and I'm adding some more to my order to bring it up to the limit for those who are unable to purchase. They pay me just the costs. However, if one of them end up not paying me, I will put them up on eBay..and I hope they sell for a lot!

Kellydelly
10-31-2004, 01:09 PM
Why don't you post your ebay user name so we can all bid on them :hyper: !

DMRick
10-31-2004, 01:32 PM
Why don't you post your ebay user name so we can all bid on them

First of all..I don't do a buy it now..I like to see them go nice and high, so I don't think you'd be interested LOL!

You know, just as someone said there may be one bad apple in the barrel...that's how I feel about giving out my ebay name on this list. You think I want someone to keep an eye on my auctions and if the bid goes too high start saying I'm shilling? Or email my clients. Or post their thoughts about my auctions on this board? I don't think so LOL. I occasionally (well a lot more the past two days) will let it be known I'm putting in an order and I get PM'd to ask if I would mind ordering for someone. I've never minded that, since I don't buy them to resell (although at one time it was posted you weren't allowed to do that, since then, I guess it is). Again, not to say I won't put leftovers up and hope the bidding gets carried away LOL.

I sell on eBay all the time, and have given out my ebay ID (and sold) to several on this board, but I've already had an experience with someone when I posted it once on the ebay thread, and after ebay got involved and they got suspended, I decided it wasn't a good idea.

hockey mom
10-31-2004, 02:17 PM
DMRick- I know you have sold to CDN's on this board and as one I am very grateful that there are so many nice folks such as yourself on this site. I just thought the OP may have a valid point and if I remember correctly you did tell them that it was an unfair assumption on their part just because the ending price was very high. (I need to learn to cut and paste). You are probably correct in that 95% of the auctions are done fairly but there also might be the odd one that is a little dishonest and I think that is what the OP may be commenting on. One that looks a little fishy. I see no problem with making a profit off the vouchers- you did have to pay the membership fees and your time and I have always included a little extra in the envelope with the people that were nice enough to sell me some. I also think that sometimes the way some people read a post may be entirely different then the way it was intended to be written.

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Yikes! I didn't know about the auction interference thing. It is just that all of the other auctions said they were dutch auction and that one didn't. Oops! I certainly wasn't trying to interfere, just trying to help someone out!
I will mind my own business next time!

bettyann29
10-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Just have to list my .02 as I have continued to read this post... I think shilling probably does happen.. however it is unfair to assume that all listings are that way just because some people with no feedback bid.. This happens all the time... although yes it could be someone shilling and if thats the case then you should report them and let ebay make that determination..

Again as far as making profits on them.. I say go for it!! It is up to the buyer to know what they are buying.. If you start your bid at what you paid for them and other bidders increase the price because of bidding wars than they are obviously willing to pay that price for what they are buying.. If they dont know what they are bidding on then they shouldnt be bidding.. same as the shipping.. if shipping is listed in the description somewhere and the bidder still bids on it no matter how high it is then maybe they should be reading the description a little better.. I know when I bid on items thats the one thing I look for and if its not listed I message that person and ask.. The way I look at is if I didnt do that than its my fault.. People will try to get away with what you let them.. so if they dont list it and you bid, then you should have asked..

Kellydelly
10-31-2004, 02:30 PM
I was just kidding about giving your ebay id so we could bid on your auctions! I now realize this is a business for you and that's why you're so upset about anyone questioning your profits :p ! I get it now, duh :o ! Don't worry, I'm not about to report anyone for shill bidding any auctions, at least not for these vouchers ;) .

DMRick
10-31-2004, 02:50 PM
and that's why you're so upset about anyone questioning your profits
Actually I'm not upset. I just thought it was unfair to make assumptions of anyone. I stand behind my wonderfula feedback, so question away LOL!

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 03:00 PM
DMRICK - Just for the record - the auction I noticed that happening on - I wasn't bidding on - just noticed. And I really wasn't aware that it was against the rules to contact someone. As a new Ebay user I have gone back and read the rules (which I should have done in the first place) and I will stick by them. Please don't think I am a sneaky slime who tried to wreck someone's auction. I just thought that the person might be a newbie who didn't realise what a dutch auction meant. Again I realise it is up to them to find out for themselves. (Actually I don't think they got my email because it came back undeliverable - so that is good I guess)

hockeymom - I am looking forward to the Pepper Market and Beaches and Cream.

I think it is really a case of if the buyer thinks they got a good deal, and the seller thinks they got a good price then it is a win, win situation and who are we to question that.

Happy trick or treating! I have 2 princesses, a frog and a "desperate housewife" to prepare for the day!

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 03:06 PM
DMRICK - Question for you as a new Ebayer who wants to stick to the rules!
If you win an auction and that person has a note on there auction to ask about purchasing other tickets is it ok to make direct arrangements with the seller to purchase more?

DMRick
10-31-2004, 06:06 PM
If you win an auction and that person has a note on there auction to ask about purchasing other tickets is it ok to make direct arrangements with the seller to purchase more?

If they said you can check their other auctions about more vouchers, then it's ok to go to their other auctions, or ask them if they will put more up. If they are trying to sell you on their auction, into getting in touch with them about buying more off of eBay, then it's called fee avoidance..trying to sell something using their auction, but not paying eBay fees. If the person sends you an end of auction note when the auction ends, and you have purchased, and in that note says something like. "we have more of this item, let us know if you would like more", that is within the ebay rules (they don't like it, but they won't suspend you for that). But they aren't suppose to advertise on their auction page that they have more to sell you off ebay.

If someone writes to me and asks if I have more, then I will sell to them off ebay, after giving them my email addy and telling them they are welcome to email me directly. After all ebay doesn't own the items I haven't put up on ebay. Technically though, I would prefer they go to my about me page and find my website and email me through my website, since ebay email is suppose to be about buying through ebay...although ebay cannot enforce that.

summerrluvv
10-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Kellydelly
There is a difference between selling a few extra vouchers from your trip and buying them specifically to sell them on ebay and make a profit! You have to admit that there probably are individuals out there doing so and possibly shilling their auctions to get the most profit out of them! If you got a nice profit from people who had no idea what the purchase price of the vouchers is, then good for you! No need to get defensive :( ! I didn't mean this to start an argument or to accuse anyone here of shilling their auctions. I just made an observation about some of the auctions I was watching. Maybe I'm right, and maybe I'm wrong :duck: !

Why do you care what others sell on ebay and what bidders are willing to pay for it? Are you mad because you keep getting outbid or something? I just don't understand it. I repeatedly see people whining and moaning about how much things go for and start throwing out accusatory remarks about people bidding on their own items (like with the MNSSHP tickets). If people are willing to pay that much for an item, what skin is it off YOUR back?

Kellydelly
10-31-2004, 06:32 PM
After all this discussion I generated I really don't mind that I can't get the vouchers for an even better deal than on hotwire (none of the auctions I've bid on or looked at ended for any less than the actual voucher price). I know where to get them for a good deal, so lucky me :Pinkbounc ! I hope lots of people who are looking to get vouchers come across sites like this one and learn where to get them. And I'm also glad that Canadians are getting the vouchers they need off ebay, or from fellow disneygoers. I'm really happy that everyone's getting what they want or need one way or another ::yes:: ! It is no skin off my back whatsoever, trust me!

hellooothere
10-31-2004, 10:06 PM
I am glad you posted Kellydelly as I learned alot from the post.

DMRICK - Thanks for info!

Hope everybody had fun trick or treating! My two princesses homemade dresses held up quite well! One was Belle and one was Sleeping Beauty! Lots of fun!

calypso*a*go-go
11-01-2004, 12:09 PM
hellooothere -- Just sent you a PM!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
I never heard of the schill bidding before...thanks for mentioning that.

there was one time I posted an item on e-bay--tried to be "smart" and go low on the start price--but alas did not know my business sense. I got 1 bid and it was costing me money to sell it. My husband opened an e-bay account and in the last seconds of the auction bought the item from me. This was about 3 or 4 years ago--I tried selling something at the suggestion of a friend--they had done well with it before. Lesson learned. I have only sold one other item on e-bay and made sure that I set it up so that I wouldn't lose money.

However--if what you describe is occuring, then that is totally different.

DMRick
11-01-2004, 05:04 PM
However--if what you describe is occuring, then that is totally different.

Actually it isn't entirely different. By having your husband bid on your item, that was shill bidding. Punishable by suspension on eBay..even if you don't bid on your own item, but have someone bid.

You would have been better off, to just close the auction. You would still have to pay the listing fees, but by having your husband bid, you also had to pay the ending fees, and break the rules.

Most ebayers agree, that it's best to put the item up at the least you'll be happy with. I personally passed up another auction, because I had already bid on something, and apparently the person didn't like my bid (I wrote them and they said my bid wasn't high enough), so they closed their auction before it ended. I missed out on the other auction because of their foolishness, and posted their name on a list being keep on a board I'm on, of people better to not do business with. By starting an item low (I assume to attract attention or save on fees) and then be upset because it doesn't sell for more, is unfair to people bidding IMO. You start it low, you should be prepared to take your chances.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Well it was 3-4 years ago and I'm not going to lose sleep on it.

I haven't done it again. Now that I know it is in their policy to explicitly not do this, I wont' repeat it.

I don't recall having to pay anything but the initial listing fees--and he never paid for the item and e-bay has never contacted me about it.