View Full Version : Did I make a mistake?
10-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Booked air first instead of our hotel for our June trip. I usually confirm the hotel with discount but I think it is to early for any published discount. I'm not even sure if the air was at a good price and would appreciate opinions.
Cleveland, US Air, June 05 $132.40 includes tax & fees round trip. Not a direct flight, Cleveland to Charlotte to Orlando and the return is Orlando to Philadelphia to Cleveland.
Hope I did the right thing in booking the flight tonight.
10-29-2004, 12:41 AM
I usually do the hotel first and then the air, but that seems like a good price other than the fact that it has a connection. I'm sure you'll be able to get hotel ressies so I wouldn't worry about it.
10-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Just a suggestion to watch for flight changes, etc. USAir is not in good shape financially and there's some question as to what the future holds with them. Booking with them that far out does carry some risk I'm afraid....
10-29-2004, 07:26 AM
I always book the air fare first. Once I get the flights I want, then I book the rooms. Hotel rooms are far more plentiful than affordable air fare at the times I want to fly.
10-29-2004, 08:33 AM
WOW! I think that is a great airfare! Doesn't it come to about $60. each way before taxes and fees? If you were driving, gas alone would be way more. We live in Charlotte, so I know it's pretty difficult to get any flight that doesn't go through a hub first. Clt. is a nice airport to pass through though! Hope you have time to sit in the rocking chairs and listen to the piano on your way to WDW---there is even a Disney store at the airport.
The earlier poster is correct, sometimes there are flight changes this far out--it just happened to me on a west coast Christmas flight I had booked---one of the legs is leaving a little later (and it's a United leg). It's no big deal though, they will still get you there, maybe a slightly different time.
10-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Now I am even more nervous about my decision to book the flight last night.
"USAir is not in good shape financially and there's some question as to what the future holds with them. Booking with them that far out does carry some risk I'm afraid...."
OK, what are the ramifications for me and my family if they go belly up?
"The earlier poster is correct, sometimes there are flight changes this far out--it just happened to me on a west coast Christmas flight I had booked---one of the legs is leaving a little later (and it's a United leg). "
If they do change the flight times will we still be getting in on the same date and still be able to fly out on the same date? An hour or two change in time wouldn稚 be a big deal but anything to much more then that may be a slight problem.
Not being a seasoned air traveler I would appreciate any light that you can shed.
10-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Not to alarm you unnecessarily, but I think there is a chance that US Air won't be flying next summer - at least in its current form. There are many airlines in bankruptcy now but they're probably the shakiest of the bunch. I'm not an expert on what would happen to your tickets IF they were liquidated, but my guess is you could get your money back but would have to rebook w/ another airline at whatever the going price was (which may not be bad). Don't know of anything you can do right how other than hold your breath. Sorry - not what you wanted to hear :(
If it's simply a case of your flight times changing, you would have the option of changing to another flight - assuming the change is more than 90 minutes or 2 hours - am not sure which. Am sure someone else will chime in with definitive info.
Good luck - this will work out for you one way or another!
10-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks PlutoPony, (I知 saying thanks with my bottom lip sticking out though). I was so psyched this morning knowing I had the tickets, what a let down. Now I get to go home and tell my husband what a **** I am.
I made the reservations using my ATM card as a credit card so I hope that may help if I have to recover any money.
10-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes, USAir has its problems, but I wouldn't worry all THAT much about flying next June. Because they are in bankruptcy, the courts are doing all they can to keep them in business--they just got a bunch of wage concessions from their unions. As an airline, it won't just *poof* disappear one day. And while they might drop some routes if they become more regional, Cleveland is one of their main airports for flights, as is Charlotte, and Orlando will always be a popular destination. If they were bought out by another airline (unlikely) those with tickets will still get to fly.
Personally, I am more concerned about my 200,000 frequent flyer points in the future, or if I worked for the airline I would be worried, and if I wouldn't want to own a lot of stock in USAir. But your flight to Orldando in 6 months should be okay.
(if they change the schedule, you will still be flying out the same day, maybe a slightly different time---this has happened to me a few times, on several different airlines, and it is no big deal).
10-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks dis-happy. I知 just going to sit back and forget about it for now. I知 one of those goofy people who really, really, really enjoy the planning stage of a Disney vacation so I知 gonna start enjoying myself now. Thanks again for your insight.
10-29-2004, 03:17 PM
One good thing is you are flying through Charlotte and Philadelphia, where they are now concentrating their flights (Pittsburgh is no longer a hub).
10-30-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't think you made a mistake at all!! That's a great price and the whole issue of USAir's solvency shouldn't be an issue. Airlines these days have partnering airlines to cover each other, and most continue to operate just fine -- as a previous poster wisely said, I'd be more worried if I worked for the airline!
Booked air first instead of our hotel for our June trip. I usually confirm the hotel with discount but I think it is to early for any published discount.
I'd book your hotel now and then modify reservation if/when discounts come out. You know your flight times/dates, so why not?
Have fun planning.:wave2:
10-30-2004, 11:16 PM
You got a GREAT price!!! I flew from Cleveland for $217 RT in January. We insisted on a direct flight (2 little ones with us), but even the connecting flights back then were higher than you got. I'm jealous, can I come with you?
--Hillary (on the east side)
PS - go tribe, indeed!
10-31-2004, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone, the panic has subsided somewhat. I知 keeping my finger crossed about getting a good discount on our rooms now. Since we still are a little flexible about the actual days that we will be visiting the parks, (we only plan on four at the parks and one watepark day) and our stay in Florida will be eight full days (06/07 arrive at noon to 06/16 leave at 7:20 pm) hope we can catch a discount. Really would like to snag something at Coronado Springs this trip since we have stayed at Dixie Landing Riverside and the French Quarter when it still was Port Orleans. The family has no desire to stay at the Caribbean Beach or as I suggested a value resort. Might even consider just staying in DW hotel for the days that we would be going to the park and then the days that we are going to the waterpark, Downtown Disney, Cirque and Pleasure Island switching to a nice hotel near DDD using priceline.
My 15 year old is still a little concerned about how we are going to switch flights in Charlotte when we land at 10:25 am and depart at 11:00 am. Anyone familiar with the Charlotte airport, is it very large and will we have to do an "OJ" thorugh the airport? No, not that "OJ", I'm talking about the nice, happy go lucky OJ that ran through the airport.
10-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Here's a map of USAir's Charlotte gates, doesn't look too bad:
Hopefully you don't have to be rescreened if you go from B to C concourses, not sure of that.
10-31-2004, 03:41 PM
They won't make you go through another screening from concourse to concourse. I am a tad suprised they booked you on such a short turnover, but you shouldn't have a problem. Worse case scenario is that you miss your flight, but since CLT is a hub, they would have other flights for you (especially that early in the day). If for some crazy reason you get stuck in Charlotte overnight, give me a call and we can play!!! :D Or maybe I'll go above and beyond the call of DISboards duty and drive you to WDW myself and of course stay for a couple of extra days, LOL.
11-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks, I may take you up on your offer! Since my legs are the shortest in our family I'm the one that will have to really move it. Pretty much have the same issues on our return flight from Philly to Cleveland. I'll be getting a little work-out.
11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
I have been in your situation. I had a quick change in DC once and I was scared I'd miss my flight but I actually still had time to spare. The flight attendants will tell you what gate to go to and how to get there.
I tend to buy cheap tickets way in advance bc they are cheaper. On AA they did change the time and they said I could change the times on my ticket or they could give me a full refund so that isn't what I had wanted the reservation for. I ended up just changing the times but I'm sure that alot of airlines would do the same. Relax and enjoy your planningprincess:
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.