View Full Version : Any problem getting Christmas week at 11 month window at VWL?

10-28-2004, 12:33 PM
My husband is starting to seriously consider DVC purchase. If we get a VWL re-sale, should we be concerned that we might have trouble booking the VWL for Christmas week at the 11 month window? Thanks!

10-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Just talked to MS about this the other day. While she wouldn't come right out and say it was neccessary, the message that was implied was to make your ressies day to day and then link them all together if you really want to be sure to get your dates. But I wouldn't let that discourage you. IMHO VWL is the best resort to own at.

Gail & Joe
10-28-2004, 12:42 PM
We haven't had any problem, but we only get a studio. I don't know about 1 & 2 bedrooms.

10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
No, if you call day by day for your ressies you are not so stress out about wether you can get your dates.

for example: your ressies are dec. 20 - 29, you start calling out 11 months to the day of checking in, then you call each day after that for each day of your ressies. if you run into the weekend, then on monday you call and make ressies for 3 days of your ressies.

if you are staying at VWL, BCV and BWV i would call day by day
if you staying at SSR,OKW then you probably could wait until your check out date and make ressies.

dec. 1-23 are popular because of the low points
dec. 24-jan. 1 are popular because of the holidays
jan. 2- thru are very low points.

10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks for your input and thanks Gail & Joe for mentioning that about the room size. We would be interested in a 1 bedroom.

10-28-2004, 01:37 PM
We had no problems at all booking a 2 bedroom 11 months out day by day at VWL. Looking forward to our first Christmas there!

Happy Birthday Cat
10-28-2004, 01:56 PM
We booked at 11 months for Christmas at VWL in a 2BR for last year and there was not an issue at all.

Good luck. It is a great place to spend th eholidays.


10-28-2004, 02:02 PM
I had no problems booking a 1BDR at the 9 month mark.

10-28-2004, 02:41 PM
We have a very small number of VWL points...booked our first 4 nights w/VWL points at 11mo (we were booking a 1br) with no problems. Called back at 7mo...actually a week or so late....and had no problem adding the last night w/a combination of VWL/BWV points. Then I called back a bit later to try to change to a 2br and got all but the first night. We waitlisted and the first night came through this week.

I think if you're booking right at 11months you'll be fine. If you really love VWL I do recommend owning your points there, especially if you want to go in December. I'm pretty sure we were extremely lucky to be able to switch to a 2br on the short notice that we had....and the CM did say that there was very little availability. That was also the case when we called to add that one last night at 7mo.

I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone calling for any reservation at exactly 11 months and not getting the reservation. Hmmm...that should be another thread...or a poll!

Happy Birthday Cat
10-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Lesley
I don't know that I've ever heard of anyone calling for any reservation at exactly 11 months and not getting the reservation.

I'll give you one example. I called at 11 months for a standard view 2BR at the BWV for New Year's eve 2002/2003 and had to go on a waiting list. I did get a room but not the one I wanted. I think the BWV is unique to this type of experience however due to the standard view rooms.


10-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Two years ago, I called in March for Christmas, 23-29. Although it was only a studio, VWL at Christmas is something to see!!! the points were high, but definitely worth it!!!

10-28-2004, 08:23 PM
My wife and I own at BCV, and on a lark, decided to try to book a VWL studio for this Xmas at 5 months. I called MS with a variety of alternative plans on paper. but was told "Sure, we can do that." (Dec. 23rd to Dec. 28th) Maybe someone had cancelled a minute before I called, but then what abouth the waitlist? Until I had a written confirmation in hand, I thought that there had to be some mistake. I still feel that maybe I should call to confirm the confirmation, but I figure I'll just show up with confirmation in hand and "demand" just compensation if we really don't have a studio for 5 nights. (LOL) Maybe it's the studio accomodation that made it happen, but we're still amazed and equally excited!
Sometimes the predictable is unpredictable.

10-29-2004, 07:48 AM
Day by day ressies should get you in.

10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
I had reservations at BCV for Christmas and had no problem switching them to VWL at less than six months out. These were studio reservations. I would imagine that if you wanted a 1 or 2 bedroom, then you would want that 11 month window.

10-31-2004, 02:35 PM
We had BCV 2BR for 12/19-12/24 (me, DD17, DM, DF). We also had an extended family trip set for OKW GV during our Spring Break. Spring Break fell through; so, as I was cancelling the GV on 9/20, I asked about VWL availability for Christmas week on a whim. DD and I will be staying in VWL 1BR for 12/24-12/28... could have checked out 12/29 if we had wanted.

We got very lucky (3 months out)!

In a continuation of our luck, on 9/27 we got POP for our late arrival on 12/18 for the AP rate of $55 WITH tax.

It is going to be an awesome trip.

10-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Now I am really confused. Do questions such as this belong on the DVC community board? I would think this one would stay on the regular DVC board.

I think my posts are going to get moved a LOT for awhile!!! Moderators...I apologize in advance for not being able to figure this one out!!!