PDA

View Full Version : One step at a time, right?

Papa Deuce
10-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Well I went to the gym today for the first time in a very long while. I could not believe how out of shape I was. I walked a mile in 21 minutes at a 2% grade. 175 calories burned. But it wasn't easy, like I thought it would be. And then I did some weight lifting.

Six or 7 years ago I could jog 2 miles. And I even did a 70 mile bike ride for charity ( though even that took 5 hours of riding ).

They say the longest journey begins with a single step..... maybe by next year I'll actually be someplace!

ZerasPride
10-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I think you are off to a wonderful start! Good for you for realizing you have to incorporate exercise into your routine to lose weight and keep it off!

Before you know it, you'll be being doing 2+miles again! Keep up the great work!!!!

WDWHound
10-25-2004, 01:20 PM
The wonderful thing about starting an excercise program is that you make progress very quickly. Don't worry, it won't be long before your stamina starts to increase and you will be able to go farther and longer.

Congratulations on taking that first step!

Minniespal
10-26-2004, 02:19 AM
As you say the hardest part of a 1000 mile journey is the first step. Once that step is made it can only get easier.

Tiger Lily 03
10-26-2004, 09:39 AM
Congratulations!
You have begun doing something that will benefit you for the rest of your life! Take it easy and try not to overdo. I know I find it hard to keep myself in check when it comes to most things.

I am reading a wonderful book that you might look at to get you on a realistic program -- Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. You don't have to RUN in order to exercise healthy and this book explains in many ways how walking and exercising (cross training) can be accomplished at all levels and stresses not to overdo things and avoid injury.

Keep on keepin' on. You are in control.

Papa Deuce
10-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tiger Lily 03
Congratulations!
You have begun doing something that will benefit you for the rest of your life! Take it easy and try not to overdo. I know I find it hard to keep myself in check when it comes to most things.

I am reading a wonderful book that you might look at to get you on a realistic program -- Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. You don't have to RUN in order to exercise healthy and this book explains in many ways how walking and exercising (cross training) can be accomplished at all levels and stresses not to overdo things and avoid injury.

Keep on keepin' on. You are in control.

I read his "Courage to Start". I started yesterday and head to the gym in 2 minutes.

ohMom
10-28-2004, 08:09 AM
This post reminded me if a thought I shared with my buddy group today:

I had a thought this morning walking Each day matters I find myself letting this day go and then the next and in so many things every day counts

I'm very proud of you for taking your first step in your journey to a healthier YOU! you are so very worth it and your daughters are blessed to have a Dad that takes care of himself! You are a positive role model for them in a society where extreme thinness is 'cool' and starvation is the way to get there! WRONG! and you are showing them that!

Papa Deuce
10-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by ohMom
This post reminded me if a thought I shared with my buddy group today:

I had a thought this morning walking Each day matters I find myself letting this day go and then the next and in so many things every day counts

I'm very proud of you for taking your first step in your journey to a healthier YOU! you are so very worth it and your daughters are blessed to have a Dad that takes care of himself! You are a positive role model for them in a society where extreme thinness is 'cool' and starvation is the way to get there! WRONG! and you are showing them that!

Thank you. I don't ever have to worry about extreme "thiness"! Everybody in mine and my wife's family needs to drop dome excess weight.

I just want to live and be healthy to guide them to a good life and make them good people. I helped give life to them so I owe them that much, at least....

Thanks again.