PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Training Thread for 10/24-10/31

karebear1
10-24-2004, 11:55 AM
I wanted to start this weeks thread out with reports from our Team Canada members! I'm so excited to hear the detail about how they did on their half marathon!!!

I got the 2 cd's I ordered in the mail yetserday. They are great- and I think I will have NO PROBLEM keeping up to the beats on those tapes. The fastest cd has you doing 4.5 miles in an hour of music- if I can get use to that one, I'll be good to go for the half. Then all I have to do is get an MP3 player, download them onto taht and get a wireless headphone. I'll put the MP3 player in my fanny pack when I walk and put only 1 remote ear phone in and turn the volume down some so I know what's going on around me. That way I can hear the beat and walk to it and get the walk done in the proper amount of time. I'm getting TOO EXCITED for this half marathon!!!

Remember the days when we first started training and how overwhelming the idea of doing a half marathon was????? I can't believe that I think I can do it! I think I'm feeling that adrenaline pump my trainer keeps telling me about!

Now..... I just need to hear how the half went for our girls! :hyper:

How's everyone else doing ????

NancyK
10-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Well - we're back and we did it!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc We finished 13.1 miles in 3 hours, 9 minutes, 29 seconds (Maryliz beat me by 2 seconds:) ) That works out to a 14.5 minute mile. Our goal was a 15 minute mile, so we're pleased. The day was overcast with a bit of drizzle and about 50 degrees. I'll let Mary Liz tell you a bit more as I haven't even had my shower yet. Thanks for your good wishes and support.
Nancy

maryliz
10-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone. First, thanks so much for all of the support you have all given us this week. We certainly felt all of your PD when we were out there this morning :) What a great experience it was! We were very fortunate because we only had to wait around at the start line for less than 30 minutes. They had it all very organized. At each mile marker, they had water/Gatorade stations set up. Each station was manned by a different school. the smaller kids were really cute, and had obviously been coached in what to yell to the walkers/runners as they passed by. The high school kids were absolutely hilarious. Some had entire cheerleading squads, others were dressed in wigs, face paint, lots of signs, and of course, incredibly noisy in their encouragement ... it was awesome :teeth: When we got to mile 10, and they were all shouting "only 3 miles to go", it was a great feeling. We both wore windpants and jackets, although we did remove the jackets for most of it -- but when we needed them, we needed them ::yes:: We ate our carbs every 30 minutes, and it seemed to make the time go by faster.

Good news ... port-a-potties at every mile :teeth: Nancy was brave and held off, but at mile 8, I had to give in. But it made a huge difference for me after that, so work some pottie breaks into your training times :hyper:

Other than being a little tired, and a sore left butt-cheek :rolleyes: I'm feeling not too bad right now. So now we've proven that we ALL CAN do this! ::yes:: I'm taking a few days off from training this week, although I might try to get to Curves a couple of times. Happy training everyone!

Mary-Liz

karebear1
10-24-2004, 03:09 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

YOU TWO RULE!!!!! What an awesome time you had!!!! Was that walking only- or did you WOG or run????

Were you pooped at the end, or was mile 10 where the adrenaline popped in? Did you feel like you were going at your normal pace, or at a faster pace? What did you snack on every 30 minutes? Did you take pics? I WANT PICS!!!!! PLEASE! :p Was music playing for you to hear? Did you get bored through any part of the walk?

I am so proud of both of you! What great examples you are for us! CONGRATULATIONS!

NancyK
10-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks Karen,
We were in the walking division so we weren't supposed to run. Can you believe that the winner of the walking division made it in 1 hour, 53 minutes? I would have liked to watch their technique but they were out of the starting gate pretty quickly. I snacked on red licorice and Swedish berries. Mary Liz had licorice and some power gels. We were going faster than our normal pace. At mile 10 we were excited thinking that there were only 3 miles to go. However, we didn't walk any faster at the end then throughout the rest of the race. I guess we didn't really get that adrenaline rush that everyone talks about. Some of the runners seemed to take it up a notch at the end. There wasn't any music playing and although a few people did have headphones, most didn't. We didn't really get bored, but in general the walkers were quieter during the middle miles. I expect that part of the Disney marathon will be boring since we'll just be on the highway. Can't believe we're only 11 weeks away! Keep up the fantastic work everyone!
Nancy

Tiger Lily 03
10-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Oh Boy it is great to hear form Team Canada! So glad to hear success! I was hoping you had a wonderful day weather-wise as well. I just knew you could do it! I am so impressed with your time. That is fantastic. You guys will leave me in the dust, but I expect you to hang about and cheer me in.
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
Karen, Did you order those CD's from the link Molli put in last week? I have not checked it out yet but am thinking of doing so.

Well today I walked for 9 miles. I really putzed on this one as I belted up with my camera like I will have with me when it is for real. The day was so spectacular and weather so cooperative I took pics. I have no idea if the pics turned out as they are still in my camera, but the process was fun. I did the 9 miles in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I figure that it is quite respectable since I snapped a bunch of shots. I now realize that I CAN do this. I am still having some issues with foot pain, but not as bad and I was able to walk on.

When I got home DH was waiting for me ready to go to the gym. I did a machine circuit (upper body only) swam to stretch only a few laps and sat in the warm/hot tub. They don't keep it too hot, but I enjoyed the bubble massage.

Tiger Lily 03
10-24-2004, 10:53 PM
11 weeks until we walk the WDW 1/2 Marathon!
:hyper:

Susan--Ontario
10-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Way to go Mary Liz and Nancy!!!!! I'm glad now that I didn't agree to do this with you guys. I think it would have cooked my foot totally for the marathon.

Haven't done much all week really (unless you call housework, packing Operation Christmas Child boxes, and celebrating my DD's 3rd birthday). My foot hasn't hurt for two days now. yesterday I did a 1 mile WATP and there was no problem at all. I think I'll try and get some walking in this week. I want this foot totally healed for when we go to WDW in less than two weeks.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Rachael, I too hope to cross the finish line without dropping or throwing up. Actually I hope to cross it ahead of at least one other person if possible.

When Nancy told me her time yesterday I thought to myself we are in so much trouble; then she reminded me that we still have 11 weeks to go. I must arrange to get my treadmill repaired because I think by the time I'm home from Florida the snow may be flying and I'll be less likely to head out. I will make that appointment today because I'm going to be home with a sick DS. Lucky me I was woke up at 4:00 by a barfing boy. Does cleaning up a sick child count as cross training???:crazy:

Have a super day everyone. It's going to be sunny and 70 here today. I'm going to try and start packing. THAT definitely counts as cross training.:hyper:

karebear1
10-25-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm still so excited for Mary Liz and Nancy! I actually think that my excitement for you rubbed off on me yesterday. For the FIRST TIME EVER..... I walked a 16:17 mile avereage on 4 miles that I walked!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I used the new walking CD's that I ordered and it really worked. The first CD that I bought says that you should get 4 miles done in the hour long tape if you walk to the beat. Well- I walked to the beat and after the first 2 songs were done, my calves were cramping so bad! SO- I just kept replaying the first 2 songs until the cramps went away- and by the end of the walk, I was walking into the 3rd and 4th songs.... with no cramps! I'm so excited because now I know I can do this. I had lots of energy by the end of that 4 miles, but I didin't want to over do it with my SI joint problem from last week, so I quit. BUT- I have a build up of miles on my daily walking this week- including the walking 4 miles on a weekday instead of 2 or 3. Progress is being made! Wooohoooo!

Susan- so sorry your little boy isn't feeling so well. Give him a hug from all of us. Hope he feels btter quick! And, I'm glad to hear that your foot is feeling better. You WILL cross that finish line!

Lily- Molli is a smart cookie and I think you should listen to her!!! I did order those CD's and they were really wonderful for me! They can really get you moving and you'll have a better time before you know it. I just can't get over how well walking to the beat did for me! And I feel so much more confident in my ability to finish this marathon within the time alotted. I know if I keep walking with these tapes I will be just fine. SO- if you're worried about your time, get these. They work! You 9 mile walk is very impressive! And your time was great as well. Good for you!1

Nancy K- I'd say both you and MaryLiz had adrenaline galore if you finished in that kind of tie without wogging! You 2 RULE! What kind of medal did you get? How do you feel today? Sore?

75 Days !!!

tw1nsmom
10-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Susan: Cleaning up after a sick child is definitely cross-training! I hope your little guy feels better soon.

NancyK & Maryliz: Way to go!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

My training has gone very slowly. I haven't added the mileage that I should have by now. I'm going to work on that this week.

Food choices have been pretty good except for the popcorn and beer I had Saturday night while I watched movies and DH was at poker night
:drinking1

DD & DS are sooo excited about Halloween! They keep mentioning new costumes/characters they'd like to be. I've already let them change from Goliath/Jo-Jo to Aurora and Prince Phillip. They're not changing again!! :rolleyes: :mad: They really do look adorable in their costumes. By this time next week it will all be over except for the sugar crash. This year I only bought candy that they like and I find disgusting...NO CHOCOLATE! I have no willpower over a pile of kit-kat or snickers bars.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Dawn

Tiger Lily 03
10-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Lisa loves Pooh--Lisa I meant to say on the last week’s thread; Welcome! Glad that you have come out of “lurk mode” to join us. You sound as if you have a great time going there. Thanks so much for your pointers. I could use them for sure. I also like to hear them again and again…seems I need much reinforcement. Are you doing the full or half marathon?

Rachael Q—Rachel, :hug: Positive thoughts, energy and prayers to you as you go through the stressful time. At least you have a place to go to distress, and come here if you need someone to lean on. We area all here for you. Sounds like your DH is a keeper for making sure that you will be able to do the things you have scheduled. You need that.
That spa weekend sounds heavenly and I am sure you are ready to take on the tasks ahead. Originally posted by Rachael Q
My goal is to cross the finish line and not drop dead, or throw up! It looks like you will be meeting your time goal this year by the times you are showing. I am sure your “other goal” will be met too. ;)

Kimickey—Kim, Sounds like you had a great time in Naw Leens! What a place.

karebear1--Karen, I will be heading over to check out those cds for sure now. You are on baybee! Keep on with your program. You will do it!

tw1nsmom--Dawn, Sorry to hear you are taking care of a sick one. Hope it isn't too bad. Yup, I'd say that it is cross training for sure. ;) good idea to get that TM fix in before your trip. I fugure we will all be using one before our FL trip.

Susan--Ontario, Glad that your foot seems to be responding in a better way. I hope you can get your walk in this week with no difficulty.

NancyK
10-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Well - it's Monday and it was a loooong day at work. The only part of me that hurts are my "back-end" muscles. Anyone know an exercise that will strengthen them for the next time? They didn't hurt at all after the walk, but were definitely a factor in how fast I walked today.:tongue: On another note, I am so hungry today. Right after the marathon they provided us with a banana, orange, V-8 juice, and a bagel. I felt nauseous after one bite of the bagel, but the V-8 and banana went down well. I had a regular dinner last night, but today - wow I could eat everything in the house! I'm going to have to remember to pack peanut butter and crackers. That always settles my upset stomach and staves off hunger as well.

Lily - You walked 9 miles in 2.5 hours and then went to the gym? Way to go!
Susan - letting your foot heal properly is the best thing you could have done over the past two weeks.
Karen - A 16-minute mile!:Pinkbounc I'm glad that your walking tapes worked. I don't use a walkman, but my DH has suggested that if I could come up with a fast-paced Disney song to play "in my head" that I will be motivated.
Dawn - what a great plan to get candy you don't like to pass out for Halloween. My kids are away at university, so if there's any left over, I am the one that eats it. Wish I had thought of buying something I didn't like.
Happy training everyone! I get to take it easy this week as part of the post-race recovery!
:)
Nancy

Tiger Lily 03
10-25-2004, 10:20 PM
I was doing a lot of "reflecting" as I do on my walks and into my head pops a cheer from our old high school days. I modified it a bit and it "marched up" as fast as I could go.

here’s a fine mantra for walking:

Thunder
Thunder
Thunderation!
We’re the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a great sensation!

I went for an hour and managed a 15 minute pace for 3 miles then slowed the last mile dileberately trying to increase strides in all of this.

Nancy, I am a "firm" believer in my Winsor Pilates and feel that this has helped me "firm" and has made me much stronger to handle all this walking. Make sure you stretch those glutes too.

decaff38
10-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Okay, I've been a bit AOL. I haven't been training very well for the last week and just didn't feel like telling. Okay , I'm fessing up. I did run/wog 4 miles today and then went to my daughter's high school chorus concert. LONG! 2 1/2 hours but great music!. I was pretty stiff after that. Tomorrow I have a health workshop to go to but it doesn't start until 9:00 ( I'm normally at work by 7:20) so guess what I'm doing with the extra time. It will be so nice to have the am to train.

nancy - I have been using an elliptical machine at the club and I am sure that that rear part is most definately getting stronger. I can run longer and faster and don't feel the effects as much. I haven't tried pilates but from what I've read, it sounds like a great strenghthener. Good luck with the stairs- they really hurt when the rear muscle hurt. (Congratulations - You must be soo proud of yourself. )

Tiger lilly- Great Cheer! I used to be a cheerleader(30 years ago) I did do a cartwheel last year. Love the reflecting while I walk too. I t such a stress releiver and an easy way to solve problems. I'm so surprised that I can solve a problem in 45 minutes that I have worried about for a week. Keep up th ehard work.

Susan Ont.- Oooh! I remember those days of ill children and the hazy next day on a few hours of sleep. Hope it is just a little bug that bit your little one. Rest when they rest!!!

Karebear- Good job on your 16;17 min mil. Your awesome. And you have so much trainng time left. You're going to wiz right past me. Just wave and I will catch up!!

Be tough on Tuesday!! Training like your going to run in a 1/2 Marathon!!

LittleMissMickey
10-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Wow! Everybody is off to a great start this week!

WAY TO GO, TEAM CANADA! You all are so brave!!! Congratulations!

So... you all reflect while you walk? Me too... Only my reflecting is still based on attractive men. Same as it has always been... What can I say?? I'm YOUNG! I just can't help it... And it helps the time pass.

Anyway, I need to move on to bed, so here's my update...

I did my FULL WORKOUT today. I did 5 min warm up, 60 min run 9 walk 1, 5 min cool down for a grand total of five miles. I felt great! I told myself that I couldn't go out to the bar this weekend unless i got myself in line. So here I go! WHEW! (I love the bar. It's like a workout. I got whipped around the dance floor on Saturday and had a blast! Now if only I knew how to dance! I just went along with all the little twirls, and I'm sure I looked like a fool!)

Anyway, Time to go relax and sleep. Keep it up, ladies!

Ashley:wave2:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi all...I am joining you guys.

Our coach has us on a weird schedule this week--during the week, I have scheduled 2 2-mile runs and 1 3-mile run...but have to run them at short distance race pace---WOW!!!! I was glad for the short distance, but short and hard packs a punch.

We are up to 12 miles this weekend--that I have to sqeeze in post MNSSHP.

I am always hungry the day of any long run--may sometimes feel a little nauseas--like this weekend--but that about 3 hours or so after the run--boy do I want to eat! I usually stick to fruit first so I can reload the lost glycogen...and then eat a meal later on in the day.

Is anybody else running with a group (other than with the DIS Wishers I mean :) )?

Who all here is a newbie to this marathon excitement?

I hope to meet you guys!!! I will be one of the many running in purple :) for TNT (Team in Training).

I pray/reflect while I run as well--but mostly for help to finish what I started :hyper: .

Lisa

ohMom
10-26-2004, 12:20 PM
hi everybody! oh my gosh Nancy and Maryliz i'm soooo excited and proud of you all!!!! how awesome and inspiring your event is to me!!!

karen -- glad you like your music and thanks for the compliment :) occasionally I have a good train of thought, usually they are just chugging along with no real destination!

this is quick - i'm on my way for my usual tues afternoon volunteering at DDs elementary -- i haven't been checking in much -- things are just really really hectic at my house right now i'm still on my MFM training schedule; last sat I did 5 miles and this sat plan to do 7.5 - 8. my eating has been real sporadic that is what I need to refocus on again! as usual! not horrible but still a struggle

welcome Lisa -- are you running a full marathon? what charity are you TNT for?

keep the inspiration coming! i'm using it to stay away from the candy this month! eek! halloween!

Tiger Lily 03
10-26-2004, 12:43 PM
decaff38, I dare not do a cartwheel. I think I will break. Keep on there. Glad you are finding a way to fit in your training. I know it is difficult with kids things going on all the time.

LittleMissMickey, Whoo hooo you found time to work out too. Now don't overdo at the bar. (That's the Mom in me. I just can't help myself. ;)) Good luck with your training and hope you find the time you need to keep on keepin' on.

Lisa loves Pooh, sounds like your training schedule will have you so successful. I am training by myself and have no coaches other than here. I will be an "adult onset runner" (actually, grandmother-type onset wogger). It is my first long attempt. I have done a couple 5 k runs around here. I really like that. I look forward to finding you in that crowd of TNT folks. I hear they have a large delegation.

ohMom, The schedule you are on sounds very reasonable. I know you will be successful. PD that you figure out that eating thing. I struggle with that as well. I'm still reading the book and discover that I really like what is in there. I think I am a penguin too. ;)

I just visited John Bingham's Web Site
I can so relate to almost all of his statements.
I especially relate to:
You might be a penguin if...
• you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.
• during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.
• the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.
• you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.
• you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
• you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.
• you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.
• the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind.
• the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.

Everyone, Keep on keepin' on

Lisa loves Pooh
10-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi--I am doing the full marathon for the Leukemia Society's team in training--perhaps I'll pin on a lime green mickey--though you won't get to see it until later on when the layers start coming off :hyper:

The TNT thing is lots of fun--fundraising was a bit of a challenge--moreso b/c of the worry, will you get enough money or not. My fundraising is almost done. I turn in my commitment paperwork tomorrow. We are staying at the POFQ with the team on the 8th and 9th. I was able to snatch a code and get the ASMovies. They only had preferred--but it is Fantasia and my hubby has been wanting to stay in that building for a while. We got a room for my mom as well--but since it was an AP rate--we put the girls in one room and the men-folk in the other. The rate was $69 after taxes.

I am doing a half-marathon Thanksgiving weekend--kind of a warm up to the long distance race environment--not that I will race by any means. I love those Penguin quotes--that's me--Forget 1st--I just don't want to be last.

I did my "cross-training" workout today--and since I don't cross train, that means I took the girls out in the jogging stroller and half-walked half-jogged--slow as possible without making it difficult. I still have to go and measure since we took a different route.

karebear1
10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
OMG!!! I'm a PENGUIN !!!!

Oh well............... it's better then not being there at all!

I did my 2 miles today and found out what a dopey girl I am. After I was done I went downstairs to check my new CD's. It seems as though I have been walking to the 4.5 mile CD- not the 4.0 mile CD! No wonder my calves were burning so bad!!! :eek: The good side.... at least I know that I can do the SLOW portion of the fast CD!!!

Lisa- how long have you been training for?

A general question to all.........

How OLD/YOUNG the heck are you????

I turned 45 this past summer. But I'm feeling like I'm about 30!

Lisa loves Pooh
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
I started running in March--but started training in August...however, didn't start logging my miles until 9/11 which was our first long run with our team.

So since september, I have 111.7 miles that I have ran....
BUT--I run walk--usually about a 9 or 10 minute run with a 2 minute walk. I still call it all running though "with breaks".

I will be 30 in November--a friend of mine does Mary Kay--and she is going to give part of the proceeds as a donation...so I am having a Pajama Party for my birthday--now how cool is that!!! I am very excited for PJs and pampering.

NancyK
10-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Lily - that's a great cheer. Think we all should try it. I am definitely a penguin. Had to laugh about being worried about the porta-pottie line - that's me for sure.

Decaff38 - I used to have an elliptical and actually managed to work up to about 20 minutes from my initial workouts of 30 seconds on the blasted thing. I found it bothered my knees a bit, though.

Ashley - congrats on a great workout for a Monday. You should reflect on whatever works for you.;)

Lisa - you must be so proud to be running for the leukemia society.

Molli - I'm also having a hard time focusing on the food. I could make excuses and say it's the carbs I eat on the long walks, but I know that if I put my mind to it, I could still follow WW and use my flex points for those long workout days.

I'm planning on doing a nice 30 minute easy walk after supper tonight. The weather here is beautiful so we have to take advantage of it while we can.

Oh - and Karen - I turned 45 at the beginning of October. I am proud of my age, but I've noticed that when filling out survey forms I am now in the 45-59 age bracket!:tongue:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Yes I am--it was cool to raise money--I so wanted to raise alot of it--but once I get to my goal--I am transferring efforts to 2 other teammates who could really use the fundraising help.

Note on the porta-potties--the shock that I just heard this weekend is that at some point in the race, people give up on the lines if you know what I mean. Men & Women both dropping drawers and letting loose in the grass. :earseek: I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go. How often can you drop drawers at Disney and not get arrested (Hmmmmmmm :teeth: )

If it comes to that for me, I'm ducking behind a porta pottie.

Must be some cleanup crew...

EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

I did hear this from the vets in the group, though noone fessed up to actually doing this. :hyper: They said volunteers are tipped off about it--and the shock does eventually wear off.

Debbie
10-26-2004, 06:45 PM
The weather here is beautiful so we have to take advantage of it while we can.::yes::

::yes:: So, instead of Curves, I came home early and had an early supper (DH had made a stew) and walked for an hour. I seem to jinx the pedometers that I have, though. Mine stopped about halfway in. It must be how I wear them. It's working now...but for how long??

Lily, I love that cheer, too. And I laughed out loud. I am definitely a PENGUIN!!

Karen, you GO girl. You can do the 4.5! YEAH! I can't get the CD's here in Canada--I've looked. I could order them from the States, but sometimes it costs so much more in taxes that it is not worthwhile. I'm still looking, though.

Molli, you have a LOT of good ideas!

Lisa, my good friend just had a girls night sleepover a couple of weeks ago. She had a blast. That sounds like a great way to go into a new decade.

Beckie, I love going to my kids music concerts (mostly). I was at a Church thing on Sunday. It made me miss my DD who used to be in that choir so much that I teared up. Now that she's at university, I probably won't get to hear her again. :sad2:

Ashley, I like that way that you cross-train! lol

Dawn, it's a good thing to buy candy that you don't like. I didn't do that, though. :tongue:

Susan, I know that DS is feeling better. Hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the family.

I've noticed that when filling out survey forms I am now in the 45-59 age bracket!

HEY!! Me TOO!!!

Tiger Lily 03
10-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Well, ok what's in an age other than a number. I'll fess up.
I am 54. :earseek:

Am I the eldest? I think I may be. ::yes::

I went to the gym today for the weight machine circuit and a little bit of swimming as more of a stretch than a lap thing.

Tomorrow I am hoping that the weather will hold up here as well. I will be out on the trail. That is the best place to be.

I also entered my food today into fitday.com and I managed a 986 cal day. I am hoping that isn't too little. I don't want to put my body into starvation mode.

Oh well. Keep on keepin' on!
Thunder
Thunder
Thunderation!
We’re the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a great sensation!

decaff38
10-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey you guys , we are a bunch on Cloisng in on the big 50, Penguins! And that is a compliment. I am 45 and will be 46 next month.
Nancy K- I noticed that survey age thing last year. Hey, If I didn't congrats you Pats on the back biggg- time!!! Wow you are impressive.

Tigerlily and karebear1 - You know penguins wear Tuxs. How Classy!!
I absolutely love John Bs books He is so inspirational!! Without those books i probably would not be as close to the "race time" as I am now.

Lisa loves Pooh - I am a run walker. No exact time for intervals. I run til i feel winded then run another block or so and then walk until I can breathe again and do it all over again. It works for me. I get further and faster every run.

Hey, did I miss the website where we order the Tshirts? and the iron on?

Last year I lived on a main street in town (10 years) and we had 400 goblins every Halloween. Never had any left overs. Now we are in the country. Probably only 10-20 kids.

Oh , I had a great training day. Started with 20 minutes of pilates( love it -lay on the carpet inmy jammies and stretch) . At lunch, at a Wellness Workshop, I went for a 15 min powerwalk on a leaf covered trail(beautiful)50 degrees, then I went to the gym because I had some time , and did 20 minutes on the curcuit and 30 minutes on the elliptical. I was even impressed with myself.

You guys are great!!! Keep on , keeping on, the finish line is in site.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
10-26-2004, 09:35 PM
I gotcha beat - 56 here - and tonight my bod is feeling every year of it ::yes::

I must say that Molli and I made a great "shopping pair" on Monday - long hours and I am just attributing it to being on my feet all day and carrying lots of packages. But hey it was worth it! We started our day with tmilling 3 miles (at hotel) and then a wonderful pumpkin spice coffee latte by Starbucks- mmmmm- it was good-they know how to start someone's day that's for sure!

Anyway, I thought I would just be-bop on over here for a minute and then off to read my book - but you guys are much more inspiring!!

Hats off to TEAM CANADA -WTG you guys! Everyone is doing so well here, that I "just can't wait" to get up in the morning at 4:45AM and get my 5.5 miles in ;) Seriously, everyone keep up the good work - I feel like I might be left in the dust after reading all your great reports!

Only exercise I recorded today was yoga class tonight. Love it - end of class is 15 minutes of lights dimmed and just blissful relaxation - mmm- maybe next time I will just wear my jammies
::yes::

Tiger Lily 03
10-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Whew! It's not I!!!
Bev, :worship: :worship:

Cheryl N. WI
10-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Hi fellow marathoners :wave:

I can't believe how close we are getting and the time is just FLYING by. Things have been hectic here (DD's volleyball team took second place in their tournament Sun.!! and she has now has a second bigger trophy which she was very excited about)! I am making sure to get my walks in (not always as long as I'd like but trying to getin 45-60 min on the shorter days) and I have been more consistent with the cross training too in the past week. I am doing my Denise Austin Get Fit Fast tapes for that. DD and I leave tomorrow after she gets out of school for a long weekend to visit my sister and brother-in-law 6 hours from here in northern WI. It is supposed to rain all weekend but they have a treadmill and I have my Denise Austin tapes packed too so I WILL continue with my training while we are there. We usually eat like pigs while we are there so I am going to have to really try hard to watch what and how much I eat, I'll make sure to keep my bracelet on to remind me of all of you.

Lisa welcome to our training group. You have joined a wonderful and very inspiring group! It's neat that you're doing this for Team in Training!

Nancy and Maryliz CONGRATULATIONS! :cheer2: :cheer2: You did GREAT on Sun. What an inspiration to us all!

Lily I LOVE your cheer. I think we need to chant it as we do this marathon!

Keep up all the great training everyone. I'm not sure if I'll be able to check in from my sisters but I'll be thinking about you guys this weekend. Have a Happy Halloween everyone!

Oh and seeing how we're telling our ages I am 40, I will be turning 41 10 days after the marathon.

Cheryl :sunny:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-27-2004, 07:37 AM
I did my 3.2 miles this morning--kind of a race pace. I avg' 11.12 minute mile today. Total time was 35:35--I think my 3 mile time way way way way yonder back in March was somewhere in the 40s...I would have to look it up in my messy notebook.

It's always funny--I time my runs and when the time looks good I'm happy and when it isn't I'm a little bummed...then I plug the time into my spreadsheet and calculate the pace and then get happy again b/c the pace improved and that is what is important. I guess after a run, the brain shuts down and I can no longer divide correctly :hyper: Anybody else feel this way until they calcuate their stats?

I was very excited on Tues with that short 2 mile run--that run had to be really fast and my pace was an 8.63 minute mile.

I went to a Jewelry party last night and indulged in too many sweets, so there was absolutely no trying to pull that pace off this morning. Too many compliments on my figure and ability to eat. I did share that the weight came off before training through the South Beach Diet and the rest is mostly a pound or 2 and inches courtesy of the training. I wish I figured this all out in my teen years!

I must remember, what goes in the night before--might come up on the run if I'm not careful :hyper:

Blessings to all and happy training.

Is there a list of all the Disers who are doing Disney--I saw the list for those going as the Wish block for hotel rooms--since I have my rooms already, I wasn't sure if I should be added to the list.

Lisa

Susan--Ontario
10-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Good Wednesday Morning Everyone!!!

Yesterday I did do some walking while putting in some time before I went to the BEST concert ever!!!

Two of my dreams have been to see Dolly Parton and Elton John in concert. Last night my DH, DS and I drove to Detroit to see Dolly at the Fox Theatre. What a beautiful theatre. We got there waaaay early (3:00 and the show started at 7:30) so we just walked around the area. There really isn't very much there so we just walked the same three block area over and over. We ended up walking for 1 hour before supper and then did a 15 minute stroll before we went and shared a sundae. Then we walked around for another hour. The best news is that my foot didn't hurt then and it doesn't hurt now!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

If you ever get the chance though you should see Dolly in concernt. She was amazing. She is so talented. I think she played at least 10 different instruments and sang many of my favourite songs. I'm going to email them and tell her to put London, ON on her concert tour because I will definetly go again.

Today I'm going to walk for a half an hour at lunch. Baby steps for me until I'm sure that this foot thing is okay.

You are all so amazing!! When I get back from my vacation I'll need you all to kick my butt into high gear. Oh yeah, this old butt is 42 years old. PS. Debbie is 9 years older than me::yes::

Have a magical day fellow penguins!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I saw Dolly and Kenny in concert way long ago--maybe 1983ish? It was their "Islands in the Stream" Tour--or something like that. I was a youngin'---it was nosebleed seats (like the very last row on the very upper tier). My mom took me since I didn't get "chosen" to go with her to the Bruce Springsteen concert. I was still envious of not going (not b/c of Bruce or anything)...but she took me and only me to see Kenny and Dolly :)

And I still love to hear their duets whenever I get a chance to hear them today :) :) :) I would have been happier to be sitting on the floor though--they tossed out a bunch of tambourines to the audience :(

Glad you enjoyed the concert Susan. How were your seats?

I do want to get to Dollywood someday--evidently she is their often when it is open and will do concerts and such :)

maryliz
10-27-2004, 12:24 PM
You are all doing awesome this week! I especially enjoyed Karen's 4.5 mph tape versus 4 mph! Way to go! I'm still in a "rest" mode. I have lots of unpacking to do since we were away on Sat/Sun so that's my cross-training. If I get back to Curves, it won't be until Friday or Saturday. My friend who has done lots of 1/2 and full marathons said that I truly should be resting this week, and if I feel like going for a walk, make it 30 minutes max and go easy. I had to laugh at that advice though, because we will be at WDW until the Friday after the marathon, and of course we'll be doing commando theme parks :teeth:

Keep up the great work, everyone ! Oh, and I will be 39 in December. That makes me the baby of the 4-sisters:flower1:

Mary-Liz

Susan--Ontario
10-27-2004, 12:55 PM
We had really good seats. Main floor, maybe 30 rows back just left of centre. You should go to Dollywood. We've been three times and I really love it. At Christmastime it is absolutely beautiful with all the decorations and lights, lights and more lights.

Karen, those tapes that you have, where did you get them?? I walked a few weeks ago with a Shania CD and there are some really fast songs on it that made me move quicker, but then a slow song comes on and I slow down to the music. Anyone have a regular CD that is only fast songs???

MaryLiz got a little bit of crosstraining yesterday taking care of my 3yr old DD. It was great to go to the concert without the squirmy one, and it gave us some alone time with our 9yr old DS.

I just got back from my half hour walk and it is beautiful outside. The sky is a bit overcast but it is warm and the fall colours are gorgeous. I don't mind slugging through all the leaves because at least it's not the "s" word.

karebear1
10-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Susan- I got those CD's on www.amazon.com

Just type in "Shape Fitness Music" in the search box. I got "Walk 2" and "Walk 3" I actually have "Walk 1" too- that one does 3 mph music. I started with that one months ago!

Susan--Ontario
10-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Can you buy them in any stores in the US? Maybe I could pick them up when I'm there next week if I knew what store to look in.

Kimickey
10-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone

Looks like everyone is doing great!! Keep of the EXCELLENT work!!! I'm very nervous but very excited at the same time about this marathon. It's my first and I'm doing it, at my most favorite place. How is everyone else feeling? The closer January 9th gets the more my adrenaline gets me going. As I'm running I think about my run during that day...I think about the people around me...I think about the positiveness(if that is a word)..I think about my DH, and children at the finish line cheering me on and most of all I think about God's strength in me and the pulls me through it!!!! I feel strong, but strive to be stronger.

So far this week I've run and worked out everyday with a day off on Sunday's. I've focused more on strength training this week, with my first test run of 13.1 miles coming up this Saturday. As of right now I'm running/walking 14:00 minute miles with very short rest in between. All I can do is see myself doing better (not to toot my own horn) but I'm proud of my progress. When I first started to really train myself I was running ALONE about a 18:00 minute mile. When I test for my PT test, I usually push myself and run about a 13:00 minute mile and a half. That's just rushing and not pacing myself.

I'm so excited!!!!

Is anyone else feeling me????

Lisa loves Pooh
10-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Totally know what you mean Kimickey! I'm feeling it--I wish it was here now!!!! I can't wait :) What a better place to try an amazing feat for the first time!

I was prancing around on the Wide World of Sports Page...looks like they are updated and they have more detailed marathon information for race day, bus information (ughhh---last bus at 4am for on-time arrival at the start line), and spectator information.

http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/events/marathon/events/detail?name=FullMarathon2005PreparationEventDetail Page

I turned in my recommittment paperwork today for Team in Training--we're in it now!!! We placed our finish times at 5:00--probably very ambitious--but that is our best guess and we at least all get to start together if not finish together ::yes::

Have a good night!!! I'm running 12 miles solo on Friday--we have MNSSHP that evening--but I just want to look forward to my weekend instead of having to look forward to running 12 miles on Sunday.

Lisa loves Pooh
10-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Wow! Kimickey--most impressive that you are doing this and your baby will only be about a year old when you do. Bet that was the last thing on your mind a year ago :hyper: .

Kimickey
10-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Wow! Kimickey--most impressive that you are doing this and your baby will only be about a year old when you do. Bet that was the last thing on your mind a year ago

You are so right, running a marathon was the last thing on my mind a year ago. Matter of fact it wasn't even an idea. I'm doing this run/walk to prove to myself I can do it. I love self challenges. Plus my kids and husband inspire me to do my absolute best. Losing the weight from my sons birth has been a challenge and this race gives me all of the drive I need to get back down to my pre-pregnacy weight.

Lisa loves Pooh
10-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Kimickey
You are so right, running a marathon was the last thing on my mind a year ago. Matter of fact it wasn't even an idea. I'm doing this run/walk to prove to myself I can do it. I love self challenges. Plus my kids and husband inspire me to do my absolute best. Losing the weight from my sons birth has been a challenge and this race gives me all of the drive I need to get back down to my pre-pregnacy weight.

Well, your current pic speaks well of your progress. Congratulations.

I'm finally at Wedding Day weight--which is about 5 pounds or so above where I would like to be--but 10-15 pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight before either baby :)

Auntmeme
10-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi all you wonderful wishers:wave:

Congrats to the Canada Team:Pinkbounc sounds like a fantastic day was had - great job:bounce:

I feel as though I have been so busy and I don't have much time now. so my progress this week has been
Sun- 1.8 (little time)
Mon- 3
Tues - 5
scheduled for today and it is a bit chilly out:eek:

I bought a new pair of cool max pants but could not find a ls coolmax shirt - ideas on where to go?

I'll be checking out amazon.com too, love to have music whne I walk alone. Got to go - keep up the great job everyone:wave:

ohMom
10-28-2004, 08:53 AM
good morning all :)

first off -- the age question -- i'm 32 :wave2:

secondly -- please post what/where you ordered for your race day shirt -- i'm feeling like its time to do this. I know Kamy posted something b4 - anyone have that still?

foggy morning here - but got out early and did my 2.8 mile loop for 30 mins powerwalk and stride drills (warm-up/cool-down too) and was pleased to hit my stride drill starting line two minutes faster than last week. i kept reminding myself to push push push; this wasn't an endurance day for me:hyper:

speaking of fabulous pics (kimickey I would've NEVER thought you struggled with your weight you look fantastic!) i have noticed our tigerlily has a new siggie pic and even in profile she looks quite a bit trimmer than her last!! WTG!

i was thinking today too -- can't believe it's like almost two months away! i always envision the homestretch and crossing that finish line!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :teeth:

Susan--Ontario
10-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Okay, I give..

what are stride drills???:earseek:

maryliz
10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Susan--Ontario
Okay, I give..

what are stride drills???:earseek:

I'm not totally sure, but I want to say they would remind me of what we used to call "suicide drills" back in highschool basketball :earseek: And the name certainly fit the exercise! I think Debbie has the book that they got these from, so maybe she can bring it on Saturday and do a demo for us. I can't think of a more enjoyable time than sitting on your front porch, eating cake and drinking tea, and WATCHING Debbie demo these for us. :teeth:

Have a great day everyone! I think the past week is finally catching up on me. Fell asleep at 9pm last night, and have a sore stomach today.

Mary-Liz

geetey
10-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to post yet this week, but I did want to check in! I have been doing my training. :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4: 30 minutes walking, 30 minutes cross-traiing, and today - FIVE miles! :earseek: I am feeling okay. Rather disappointed in my time because I *thought* I was really booking! I walked 5.2 miles in 104 minutes. (That time includes my 5 minute s-l-o-w walk warmup.) That works out to a 20 minute mile average. I guess I am happy that my time for the last .5 mile I did was 9 minutes, so I was actually getting faster as I walked. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/icon_shrug.gif Perhaps next time, we won't start tracking our distance until after the 5 minute warmup.

How does everyone else treat their warmup? I don't know if I will be able to walk enough before the actual half to be warmed up and ready to start off at full force.

I spent a LOT of time cooling down and stretching. I hope that helps my calves to continue to stay loose. They didn't cramp up on me this time. :hyper:

This week I also went to see my MS doctor. She says I am doing FAAAA-Boo! She also says I am crazy to even be thinking about walking a half marathon but wants to see pictures at my next appt (which is in January 05). :jumping1:

Tomorrow is (thankfully) a day of rest but I will try and come back to read the thread and see how everyone is doing! :wave2:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-28-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know what stride drills are--but we have different "excercises" if you will when we are training. Basically we train more than just to make it. We do things to improve pace, endurance, and oxygen flow/cardio.

Several weeks ago--we did some drills--where midpoint through the run or walk--you would increase your pace by about 20-30% for 10 minutes. So I went from a 5mph run to a 6.5mph run. In one weeks time--I shaved alot of time of my pace. About 15 seconds and then another 15 seconds the following week. This is all while the distance is going up--I did 7 miles at 12.75 minute pace, 8 miles at 12.5 pace and then 10 miles at 12 minute pace.

I highly recommend anything that improves your pacing--especially if you are as impatient as I and just want to get the time to fly :)

Got my 12 mile run in the morning--pacing will be off as it will include a bridge--but I only have to go over it 2 times instead of 4 times like last week (ugh!!!). Last week b/c of the "hilly" route we took--people who live in the mountains might call it the speed bump route :hyper: --my pace was way off at 13.63 minutes. So we will see!!! If I have time, I will post before I head off to the World tomorrow for MNSSHP!!!!

(Yes I am crazy for running tomorrow--but I rather look forward to the weekend instead of dreading the run on Sunday :crazy: )

geetey
10-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Lisa loves Pooh,
Can you give us some more details about the different exercises you are doing? I would love to hear what the TNT trainers are teaching you. ::yes:: Especially when it comes to speed drills! :hyper:
Thanks!

Debbie
10-28-2004, 07:01 PM
I can't think of a more enjoyable time than sitting on your front porch, eating cake and drinking tea, and WATCHING Debbie demo these for us.

Uh....I don't think so!!! I'll bring the book and we can look through it together. Stride drills are done to improve your pace. They are done at a goodly speed, all the while you are concentrating on proper movements. You can concentrate on the bum wiggle if you'd like! WOG RULES in MY stride drills. lol

Did my cross-training (Curves) tonight. I haven't done a whole lot on the WATP this week....my bed has been too comfy in the mornings. :teeth:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by geetey
Hi Lisa loves Pooh,
Can you give us some more details about the different exercises you are doing? I would love to hear what the TNT trainers are teaching you. ::yes:: Especially when it comes to speed drills! :hyper:
Thanks!

As soon as I can translate their lingo I will share :)
There are four phases and we just entered phase three...it is called VO2 max--I have no earthly idea what it means--the O2 represents Oxygen--basically we do very short runs of 2 to 3 miles at very quick paces with tiny breaks if necessary--this I THINK helps improve oxygen flow through the body. All phases in the end will improve pace. Just when you think you are as slow as molasses--turns out your not :) I'll elaborate--got to get to bed for that lovely 5am 12 mile run :)

I will look up the other stuff and get back to you--they still owe me this particular handout though.

karebear1
10-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Everyone sounds like they are doing great on their training! Keep up the good work all!

I did 3 miles today at a nice slow pace of 59 minutes. And guess what??? It didn't even bother me that it was slow. I just meandered and enjoyed it. Aren't you proud of me? :p

Does anyone wqant to join me in a "After Halloween is over I wont' touch anything sweet until Thanksgiving Day" Challenge??? :teeth:

I think that I can reasonably and rationally take this challenge and succeed with it. Sp- how baout it guys? Wanna join in?

Lisa LovesPooh- It sounds like you really know what you're talking about! Good luck on your run tomorrow. Are you doing the full marathon?

Debbie- I wanna watch you WOG too! Sounds too fun to miss!

tara- did you find a room yet? Congrats on the 5 miles! That's quite and accomplishment! Don't worry too much about your time.... that what my trainer keeps telling me. I have to trust her, because there isn't a whole lot I can do about my time right now! It'll happen! Have FAITH! Stretching is good- keep doing it!

MaryLiz- You deserve a full week of rest! Hope you enjoy it and then..... get back to raining!!

Mom- GREAT time on your last training run. WTG! Ya know.... I'm kinda sad today. All this time I've referred to you as mom..... so I've thought of you as Mom.... and I am soooo much older then you!!! Oh well- you're still mom to me! :eek: :teeth:
Oh!! And you're right (as Mom's always are) Tiger Lily and Kimickey are BABES!!! :teeth:

Meme- wish I could help you with the coolmax shirts- but I have no idea. Good luck with your training this week.

Susan- I think you might be able to buy those CD's at Best Buy- but I am not positive about that. How far away from Detroit are you?

Tomorrow is a 4 mile day! I think I'll take it slow again and work for speed on the weekend.

Susan--Ontario
10-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Good Friday Morning All,

I went to bed early last night because I still hadn't recovered from my late night on Tuesday (when I went to Detroit which is about 2 hours from here). Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. I got up and did a 2 mile WATP and I did really good at it. My foot hasn't hurt for four days now. Yesterday I again went for a 20 minute walk on my lunch hour.

My family is coming over tomorrow to celebrate my DD's 3rd birthday. That's when Debbie's gonna do her thing for us.:hyper:

I hope that everyone has a great weekend and don't eat too much halloween candy.

:earseek:

One week from today we'll be heading down the highway!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Lisa loves Pooh
10-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi All...

Clarification--I have no idea what I am talking about--I am just a good regurgitator of information--I'll include my citations next time so you don't think it is all me ;) Found my handouts from training--I can post what I can. It does contain the "strides" information--I wonder if it is the same as our friends were speaking about earlier.

Ran my 12 lonely miles this morning...time 2h 32m 28s. 12.71 minute mile. Not as quick as I like--but I ran the bridge again to have enough distance.

Off to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!!!

Enjoy your weekend girls!!!!

Lisa

KatieBelle
10-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Well. I have been gone for quite a while. I have not been walking or dieting or eating right. For example, I had Ben & Jerry's ice cream last night for dinner! Someone mercilessly opened a Ben & Jerry's stand in the lobby of my office building. I am still hooked on Starbucks, but I have finally given up the high calorie Frappacinos. (Of course replacing them with Ben & Jerry's probably is not the best plan :) )

Anyway, I digress. I am back--five pounds heavier than when I left and ready to get serious again. All of you really inspire me. I will get out this weekend and walk. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I want to do this marathon. I may not finish, but I am going to try my best.

By the way, it does not help that my DH is doing GREAT in his training for the full marathon and has lost A LOT of weight and gets to eat all the ice cream he wants without gaining a pound! He now weighs less than he did in college. We are now 10 pounds apart. I better start moving! princess:

Auntmeme
10-29-2004, 10:12 AM
TGIF:Pinkbounc

Walked 3.5 yesterday and may get in something this afternoon, it's drizzly & damp:( so maybe tm.

I checked out amazon for cds - who has what? I liked the songs on shape fitness walk2 70's & ultimate dance party, any recommendations & who knows how to download music- that way I could pick songs I wanted. HELP!

I ordered plain t-shirts from the site Kamy listed greatstufftowear.com, there is a lime green tee - what about a logo? any word?

Ashley have you been able to update the database list?

And thanks AEG for the travel site - fabu - I got airfare for a trip in March still looking for January tickets.

Karen - I'm in for the no sweets after halloween till thanksgiving:sad: I guess this includes mini chocolates, I only have 1 each nite, aren't they calorie free?their so small;)

karebear1
10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
MeMe- I sent Kamy an email at the beginning of the week, but have not heard from her yet. She is the one doing the logo for the group. I don't know if you can download that music from Amazon. Are you sure you can do that? Thanks for joining me opn the no sweets thing- it'll help!

Kimickey
10-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Does anyone wqant to join me in a "After Halloween is over I wont' touch anything sweet until Thanksgiving Day" Challenge???

karebear1,

I'm so up for this challeng as sweets are my biggest down fall. When are we starting? And why type of sweets can we not have?

BTW I'm going through all of the post and everyone is listing how old they are. I guess I am the baby "literally" For I am only 26 soon to be 27 on December 10th. YIKES!!!! :duck:

karebear1
10-29-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking that fruit- in it'snatural form- no canned- or fruit pies etc. is OK. But that's all! No other kind of sweet anything......... unless it's Lovin' :p

Kimickey
10-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Consider it a done deal. When do we start?

karebear1
10-29-2004, 02:17 PM
We start November 1st. FIRST thing in the morning!

I just finished my 4 mile walk today. I'll tell ya- it sure is hard to get started isn't it? I want to put it off and put it off, then, once I'm past that first 2 miles I could just keep walking!

I was watching Finding Nemo this morning while I was walking on the treadmill. I have to say I really related to that movie at the end when they're caught in the net. If we just Keep swimming and band together WE CAN DO IT!! :teeth: (We need a little swimming nemo smilie guy!)

Oh- and Kimickey.... we have 1 more younger then you. Ashley (littlemissmickey) is 22 I think!

I can't believe i am going to type this, but I hope my trainer posts that I need to do 8 miles this weekend. I am so ready to do it.... well..... at least today I am!

And finally- I need some advice. My DH and I are going to Salt Lake City in 2 weeks for a few days. e have some friends coming in from Australia! We'll be there Thursday- Sunday. I need tips on keeping on program while there. I'm not real good at keeping up my walking while I'm on vacation!

maryliz
10-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Karen ... you're doing so awesome! I'm proud of everyone, but especially proud of you. You continue to be an inspiration as the countdown continues! Don't stress about doing a loooonnnng walk while you're away ... make a deal to do a nice 30min easy walk each morning. It will be a refreshing start to your days, and you won't think that you're "not" training.

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be back in training mode next week ... I just have to figure out which week of Hal Higdon's training schedule to start at again. Outdoor training gets a little tougher here in SW Ontario come Dec ... so we'll have to figure something out. I just don't think I can "mall walk" for a couple of hours :rolleyes: ... it'd be too boring. Either that or the stores would distract me and I'll end up spending way too much money :teeth:

Mary-Liz

Tiger Lily 03
10-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Debbie
WOG RULES in MY stride drills. Right on there! That was me this week!
Everyone is getting on just fabulous! We are doing it!

Good to see more of us checking in and sharing.

Karen, I'm not sure about that commitment on no sweets. I was weak yesterday and had more than I should have. I think I felt bulimec (sp?) as I stuffed junk in me and just kept on. First it was the small size chocolate, then it was the chips and finally a Klondike bar! Egad...I may be done but I can't promise myself or anyone that I won't fall.

It has been a fabulous week up here on the North Coast, USA (Cleveland Ohio area)

I just HAD to be outside for our unseasonably warm weather. Sun, Mon and Wed. I was on the Towpath walking. I did some fast, some slow and minimum of 60 minutes duration. I took off from walking and only did Pilates Thurs and Fri. My goal is not to do a 12 min/mile but to rather complete the event in under the sweep time. I am already at my goal as I am certain that I can do this part. Now I look to make the time a bit shorter, but I don't have the desire to make it race pace. I want to savor each step as I struggle to the end.
:crazy:

Sorry, I can't help with the cool max question. Have you tried local running stores?

...and yes, I guess it is time to get serious and "get stuff" as I figure I will be looking up those sites for lime green and race memorabilia shirts hopefully tomorrow.

karebear1
10-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Maryliz- Thnaks for hte vote of confidence. It's so wonderful and encouraging to know that there are poeple taht understand you and support you! :hugs:

Hey everyone! I found some coolmax clothes on sale! Go here!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/EUI/controller.asp?sid=4181880019DFE17F&mscssid=576A5EA417704010AC8EEB4FB2FB0274&Ntt=coolmax&N=0&Nao=20&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Ntk=All

There are some shorts- sizes are limited, because they are sale items. Hope you can find something!

FOUND SOME MORE!!!

http://www.zyflex.com/store/productDetail.asp?id=11&cID=9&sID=6

Now here's a DEAL!! And the color is COOL!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&catalogId=40000008001&storeId=8001&partNumber=707652&memberId=-2000&link=1&cm_ven=ad_Shopping&cm_ite=outlet&source=17457&cm_pla=na&cm_cat=datafeed

Ya think for 7.00 we could all get the same color shorts??!??? They're coolmax!

And- this last site is a really good one!

http://www1.pricetool.com/xDN-Clothing-coolmax

Happy shopping everyone!

decaff38
10-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, i finally went and got my new Clippee (15#)!! The pounds come off so slowly!!! My staff keeps commenting how good I look so I feel great about it. My clothes are looser too. I have been not so good for 2 days but I decided i needed to get some inspiration. I did goof up my countdown so, I got rid of it and will reinstall it later.
Yesterday was party day at school for the kids during the day and for the staff last night. I must of had 4 mini cupcakes and I don't even like cake. I felt like one of the previous posters(bulimic) I just wanted to get rid of it! Last night was fun though. My last duty as a Union Settlement Chair was the wrap up party. It came off without a hitch. We had it at the Country club and had Walleye(fish from our Northern waters) . It was so wonderful!! I had a few adult beverages and danced a lot. Now I am going to write my letter of resignation. Wheww!!!

Tonight it is off to a Halloween party!! There will be no training this weekend but big time on Mon.-Fri. because Sun . I run a 10K for the United Way! I'm really looking forward to it!! I hope the weather is better next Sun. Today it is 40 degrees , grey, raining and wind of 30-40 mph!! Gross day!! Tomorrow is suppose to be the same.

Glad everyone is doing so well!!! We will cross that finish line together!!!

ohMom
10-30-2004, 12:51 PM
no time to read all posts -- just wanted to check in and post that I managed to get a long powerwalk in (walking 6.5 and jogging just 1 mile) in one hour and 35 mins -- pleased with that though i'm feeling yucky b/c I didn't eat good this week -- off to shower and go out for post-anniversary dinner and hope to catch up on my buddies by reading up later tonight!!

Tiger Lily 03
10-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Karen, thanks for those links. I may have to take advantage of something.

decaff--Beckie, Whoo Hoo! you have a new clippie. That is great news! You are doing great!

Molli, hope you enjoyed your evening.

Does anyone know whether it would be short sleeve or long sleeve as we get moving in January? I see by some pics that people are in both. I am wondering what to buy.

Today was a georgeous day here 75º, but very windy. I spent a good part of it cleaning the house and didn't really get outside as I would have liked. DH was working and when he got home we went to the gym together. I did some recumbant bike, and tried the eliptical as there was no one else waiting for it as is usually the case. I felt awkward on that eliptical contraption. I may like to try it again. I think I could like it though. Oh the choices... Also did a weight machine circuit and some stretching after. Total time spent was an hour.

DH and I went to dinner afterward and then he got called into work as we were about halfway through dinner. He got a second call for a different location as he was taking me home. He will have close to 60 hours of work in his first week back. They just work their people to death. I wish he would get OT for all this or at least a decent salary for this trouble. He will be tired and the evening is gone. I feel bad for him.

Oh well, I am finishing some clothes and going to wait for him to return.

trola2
10-31-2004, 07:15 AM
Hey Everyone!

I wanted to drop you guys a quick note and say hello!! You are all doing so great with your training!! I love reading about everyone getting ready for the big day…picking up the pace through music, trying to decide what you will start the race wearing, etc….For me, I would probably pack both long and short sleeves and decide when you get there. Had we done a marathon last December when we were there, we would have needed long sweats (and probably layers of those!) so you just never know until the day hits.

I wanted to let you know that I am now out of the race. I need to contact Disney and find out what it takes to transfer my registration from the 2005 race to the 2006 race. If any of you know, please PM me! Thanks! I have been off of my training since mid September and I’m not able to get back to training for awhile, so it’s best for me to just postpone to 2006. We have also cancelled our family trip that was supposed to start this coming Saturday. We are tentatively rescheduling that for early March. I’m a bit nervous as we’ve never gone in March.

My mom is still hanging in there. We have days that we aren’t sure she will make it through the week, and then she’ll rally a bit and be better than she’s been in a month. Hospice terms her “state” as steady decline. We haven’t gotten our “comfort box” yet, so I know that they don’t consider her in her final stages yet. In so many ways we’ve already lost her because now any time she talks it’s strictly to talk about her medication schedule or to ask for something she needs. Talking takes too much of her energy, so we aren’t able to have real conversations, but as I lotion and rub her feet each day, I see in her eyes all she needs to say. She has only left her house one time since hurricane Ivan and that really exhausted her. (and everyone else!)

We’re still trying to recover from the storm. We are so fortunate compared to many, though. We hear the heartbreaking stories everyday and I am just amazed at other people’s strength and resilience. It just reminds me that life is truly a great marathon and it takes strength and courage to keep on keeping’ on, doesn’t it?

Well, I’m “burying” this post at the end of last weeks thread. I just feel that since June I have had so little to say that has been positive!! I’m usually not like that!

I applaud all of you for your drive in achieving this goal! I’ll be cheering each of you on in spirit and hopefully get to meet some of you in 2006!

Happy trails!
~~Beth
(wish walkers cheering section!)

trola2
10-31-2004, 07:32 AM
I just found on hte marathon site that I can't transfer my registration fee to the 2006 race. Thank you if any of you had set out to find the info for me.

Happy training!
~~Beth

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2004, 09:05 AM
You can't transfer the fee--but you are automatically entered, if that helps..so no having to rush and try to get it before they max out on applicants.

karebear1
10-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Beth- I was just going to PM you nad I come to the thread and see your post!

I must tell you , Beth, that while you think you have no posititve thing to say, I believe your posts have been very uplifting and positive. You always amaze me with the words that are typed when you post. They are elloquent and full of love.

I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to make it for the marathon. I know you have worked so hard and really wanted to be able to do this. You must be terribly disappointed. Please keep in touch with us so we know what is happening with your Mom.

:hugs:

NancyK
10-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Happy Halloween everyone!
You guys are all doing so well!:Pinkbounc
After last Sunday's 1/2 marathon, I was supposed to take it easy this week. I ended up only walking once all week - and that was only for 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to take it THAT easy! LOL! I woke up at 6:20 this morning and the first thought in my head was "in 10 weeks at this time I'll be at mile ONE!" Guess I'll be back on program tomorrow. Time is going by so fast.
I also wanted to mention that even though Mary Liz & I are proud of our 3 hour, 9 minute time, the Niagara Falls 1/2 marathon is all flat land with the last two miles being downhill. So, naturally the times are faster in Niagara Falls than for other similar marathons. I just want to be able to get to the finish line at Disney in 3.5 hours.

Beth - I'm so sorry that you are going through such a rough time. I'm sure that everyone on this board is thinking of you.

Hope everyone has a great week! (and let's get rid of that Halloween candy as of midnight tonight)

KatieBelle
10-31-2004, 03:15 PM
I ran/walked one mile yesterday in 15:30. I now feel confident that I can at least make it one mile without getting swept. Since I know that I can make the time, I am now going to concentrate on distance and endurance. I walked 2 miles this morning. I appreciate the training schedules that have been posted. Happy Halloween!

Kimickey
10-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Happy Halloween everyone!!!!

How is everybody's weekend been so far? I just relaxed and enjoyed the high 80 degree weather we are having here in Mississippi. I'm in for a rude awakening when I return home to Maryland on 17 November.

Anyway I went shopping yesterday. And I'm happy to report that I'm now fitting into a size 6, 7, or 8 depending on the style and cut of the clothing. I went into Ralph Lauren and bought three pairs of pants at a size 6. I then went into Tommy Hilfiger and bought a pair of jeans in a size 8 :rolleyes: I guess because my body is going through a transition I'm inbetween. But I"m happy. It's a far cry from the 180 lbs I was at during the beginning of the year after having Jordan.

I just got back in from running three miles. It took me about 30 minutes after stopping twice to figure out what was wrong with my Ipod.

I'm off to wash clothes and study. I have a test on Thursday :(

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2004, 09:50 PM
Kudos to you Kimickey on our shopping trip sizing adventure!!!

I'm in 8s and 10s--wedding day sizes--HOORAY!!!

Can't wait to shimmy into a 6 someday--I need to get back to my SBD principles and stop enjoying the sugar!!! However, I think I'll indulge in a couple more Halloween treats and start in November :hyper:

My legs were sooooooooo sore after my 12 mile run--I was so close to wanting to rent a wheel chair at Disney--they hurt that bad! Mostly in the sitting down (putting the weight on my arms while sitting down and getting up helped) and putting my weight on my arms when ascending/descending the tram or a stair case. Actual walking didn't hurt unless it involved a slope, hill, or stairs. I must have lifted my legs really high or something while running. I sure hope my quads start to look pretty--they must be toning up really good! I might add--that when increasing mileage (my longest run before this was only 10 and it wasn't that bad)--don't increase and then do Disney for 2 days--:hyper: For those planning park time post marathon--I would plan for that Monday to be an off day for you and schedule a massage. I was doing hunky doory fine on all my training--very little if any muscle soreness--and then BAM!!!! Pain, Pain, Pain--and no injuries to speak of--didn't hurt until the next day. Take that Monday off and your vacation for the rest of the week shall be wonderful!!!!

Not looking forward to running in the morning--I think I will do an easy 3 on the treadmill.

I have my garage sale fundraiser this week--I so do not like garage sales...but it is for a cause--I have gotten a lot of stuff donated, now I just need to get it out of my garage! I need to go through it all--but I really really really do not feel like it at all.

Took DD christmas window shopping today---turns out Dora is really big this fall and Fisher price tanked on having enough inventory. The doll house that she used to want but no longer does (thank goodness)--is available, but the dora furniture is not--it is ebay or no way. Really rediculous if you ask me--hadn't even heard of it and we just saw it on the shelf one day. The doll she wants--is available as are most of the outfits--discovered that one of the outfits--isn't available on line--so I will be going first thing tomorrow a.m. and snatching it off of the shelves...for the less than stellar christmas season expected in Florida for the retail industry--my daughter managed to pick the one toy that could save Christmas for them--and she doesn't even watch commercial television. :hyper: So my "marathon" tip this week--is to start early on that Christmas shopping--or you'll wear yourselves out so much later that you wont' be able to do your training walks/jogs/wogs/ or runs :hyper: :hyper:

Have a good week--I may repost on the new link in case it is up before you read here!

Lisa

Kimickey
10-31-2004, 10:14 PM
Lisa loves Pooh

Are you joining karebear1 and I starting tomorrow with the no sugar challenge until Thanksgiving?

I admire you, being able to run 10 miles. I have not quite worked my body up to that. I'm still at 5 miles. I have increased my speed which is a great milestone for me. This upcoming weekend I will run my first 3k. Although not far, it's still good practice for me.

Rachael Q
11-01-2004, 01:35 AM
On Friday the team leaders (me included) were told that our last day for taking on new work would be Jan 21st, and then as the work volume decreases we will start sending people home. We will announce to the staff tomorrow morning. So that will be a good day.

So we expect to be fully done by the 23rd or 24th. We were hoping for April, but now it's less than 3 months away.

Our vacation entitlement gets prorated down to 1/12th - so I am entitled to 1.6 days or something!

So my disney world vacation will now be unpaid vacation, and not only that but I get to come back and work 5 -7 more days and then I will be done.

The good things to come out of this - I have learnt way more about pensions and retirement than I ever needed to know (I am 34!).

I have helped build and critiqued quite a few resumes and cover letters, so by the time I get round to writing mine it will be a knockout!

In talking to my staff about what they want to do, and how to do it, and to take this opportunity and do what they have always talked about and never done, I now know that what I do now, it what I really enjoy, so I will keep looking in this field.

And the big advantage - it's brought out the very best in DH!

I have also noticed that I am not overly concerned about myself, but am concerned about my staff and how they are coping. DH and I went through a period of 2 years where I didn't work and we only had one income (I was waiting for my immigration to go through), so we know we can survive. Our mortgage is less than is used to be, and we can cut back on entertainment etc, so it's not the unknown and scary prospect that it is to some of my staff.

Stress is also great for weight loss - I have lost 8 pounds! But that could also be the running, walking, yoga and pilates starting to pay off.

This week I am going to join DHs gym so I can doing some toning with weights, and if the weather is really bad I can run on the treadmill.

Lisalovespooh and Decaff38 - I also run/walk. For shorter distances I run 10/walk 1. Right now I am trying run 5/walk 1 for longer distances.

Our flight arrives into MCO at 10.10 pm on Friday night, are we going to be able to find anything to eat at that time?

Does anyone have the June, August, September and October disney marathon weekend newsletters? I haven't received them.

geetey
11-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Rachael Q
Does anyone have the June, August, September and October disney marathon weekend newsletters? I haven't received them.

Hi Rachael
I have posted the newsletters here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=673898) I didn't receive a June newsletter. The newsletters typically are emailed to me at the end of each month. I didn't receive an October email *but* the November one came on the 1st, so it essentially the October newsletter, in my opinion. I hope the link is helpful.

I know that *somewhere* will still have food for you when you arrive that late - just not sure where. I know we have gotten a last minute meal in the food courts -- I believe the resort food courts close at midnight. Will you have a car available? Something over by Downtown Disney will be open - even if it is just Taco Bell!

Sorry about the job situation but it sounds like you are handling it wonderfully! ::yes:: Good luck to you and your staff!