PDA

View Full Version : Atkins ?

sanddune
10-19-2004, 10:43 AM
I've been on Atkins since Feb. I've been able to keep my same weight. So I started to workout more with weight training and cardeo . I seem to be gaining now. Almost 10 lbs! Help is this normal? Chris

Hercules10
10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
I started out in February, but I kinda went with a modify Atkins. I.e. I took in what I consider "Good Carbs" from Fruit and veggies.

In March I joined a gym. Weight loss was nothing for more then a month and a half! No matter how much I worked out or how much I dieted, no change. Looking back I think it was that the work-out was exchanging muscle in place of fat (since muscle weighs more than fat). After about two months the weight loss was sustained at about 2lbs per week.

Diet and excercise are what I beleive to be key in the battle, so don't give up! Good Luck.

::yes::

ZerasPride
10-19-2004, 11:27 AM
I do a combo of South Beach and Atkins and was not a happy camper when I started back with my Firm work outs with heavy weights and lots of cardio (in place of the stationary bike) and saw the scale go up. It took about a six weeks for my weight to stabilize and then start going back down but I've lost an incredible amount of inches since I stepped up my work outs. As the previous poster said, the combo of diet and exercise can't be beat for success in the long run. Now start measuring so you can see the inches flying off!!!

sanddune
10-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm still in the same size even with the weight gain. So maybe it is muscle . I was just in shock this morning when I saw 10 lbs. I've even cut back on the carbs even more! So maybe I sould go back to my 30 to 40 carbs a day? I was staying my goal weight with that amount of carbs. So what do you think?

Hercules10
10-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sanddune
So maybe I sould go back to my 30 to 40 carbs a day? I was staying my goal weight with that amount of carbs. So what do you think?

Definately! Especially if you're working out.

ZerasPride
10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm certainly no expert but if you are eating clean and 30 to 40 carbs is what you were usually consuming, then I would stick with it and wait it out. I'd definitely start measuring. I use this site: www.mybodycomp.com - what is so wonderful about this site is that it not only keeps your measurements for you in a profile, you can compare different profiles so you see your progress more readily. It monitors not just your measurements but your body fat pecentage. I find it invaluable, especially those times the scale is up. As a matter of fact, I just went through a period where I was either maintaining or gained for no good reason. It was that way for quite a few weeks with little loss on the sacle.

When I compared my profiles at the body comp site, I saw that I had lost 16 pounds of ugly fat and replaced it with about 7 pounds of muscle over a 7 week period. It made more sense to me then because I see the stats and understand what was going on with my body. I also lost almost 6% body fat in that same 7 week period which my regular digital scale couldn't tell me. So stick with what has been working for you but monitor your inches lost and body fat, you may be pleasantly surprised. You can always tweak your carbs later. Just my humble opinion. I hope it helps! :)

sanddune
10-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Thanks for the link also! I will try to just wait! (After being 200lbs+) I don't want to go back there! I like being in my size 12's not 20's!!!::yes:: :wave: