PDA

View Full Version : DISCON Singles Take on the World!!!

Taryn
07-21-2001, 04:11 PM
Hello all!

I’ve just been here trying to semi-finalize (are they ever finalized?) my itinerary for the DISCON and thinking ahead to the DIS singles meet. There are so many amazing things to attend that I have determined that sleep needs to be eliminated from my plans.

As for the DIS singles meet I have decided the best time for it would be at 1pm or 2pm on Wednesday November 28th. This would allow people to sign in with the registration desk before or after our meet. I do want our meet to be early in the convention programme so that persons who are feeling a little intimidated with so many new people to meet will be set at ease as soon as possible. That said, I think it would be best to meet somewhere near the Yacht Club where the registrations are taking place. So many options! Great restaurants and views and Epcot also!

What do we want to do? We could do a restaurant meet, although sometimes, with seating that can restrict the opportunities for conversation. Would we prefer a more casual meet where we can move around a bit? An attraction meet? How about a meet in one of the Epcot countries? We could arrange a kind of trivia game or even a scavenger type hunt to get people interacting? Is that too geeky or does it sound like a ton of fun?! Is park admission an issue for people? At one point I thought of a pool or waterpark meet, but if you’re like me and a little nervous about all these new folks the last thing I need is to meet them all in my bathing suit! I would love some feedback! Please use this thread! I want to finalize the plans for this meet in the next month so we can all make plans for more meets!

Another issue for single travellers… dining. I know that my itinerary looks a little sad in the fine dining department as I am not really comfy dining alone…

So! I have decided to make two priority seatings:

6pm – Tuesday November 27th – Epcot - Restaurant Akershus
9am – Monday December 3rd – Animal Kingdom Lodge – Boma

Anyone wishing to join me also please post to this thread. I’ll make the PSs on August 5th and do a review just before we leave.

If anyone else would love to try one of the finer restaurants but would be hesitant to go alone please use this thread to meet up with others! I know I’d love to try a few of the better places myself!

Please remember that “singles” only means that you’ll be travelling on your own, you don’t need to be looking for that special someone to take part! *laughs*
Couples and families that would like an opportunity to meet some of your fellow DISers in a fun atmosphere are of course also welcome to join us.

Lets make this thread last till the DISCON!

Single travellers unite!

CarolA
07-21-2001, 08:20 PM
BOO HOO!

I will have to miss the singles meet. Since I am running LOW on vacation, I am not going to arrive in Orlando until at least 6 pm on Wed!

I will look for you solo travelers at the other events. I will be the shy one!

Taryn
07-21-2001, 09:20 PM
CarolA,

Awww, don't worry. I'm hoping this thread will encourage talk between all the singles and opportunities for many meetings, not just the organized singles meet! I've been to two DISmeets now as a single and I can tell you that it took about ten seconds before I felt right at home, and I'm shy too!

You will be found and assimilated! *giggles*

WebmasterBarry
07-22-2001, 12:21 AM
I think we should meet in Taryn's room and jump up and down on the bed. :)

No really, a meal sounds good. I will try to make it on Wednesday morning, but I am not sure. I will be there for the mingle thing in the evening.

glo
07-22-2001, 01:20 AM
Hey Taryn I am interested!
Only thing is I won't get in til 2 pm!!!

Aren't most people coming in that day??? Any chance of doing it just a wee bit later???

Great post!! Glad that someone is doing this!
Thanks!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Taryn
07-22-2001, 09:21 AM
Hi!

Sure, if everyone is having trouble with the time of course we can move it. No point in having a meet that no one can attend! I just wanted it to be early on so that people would have buddies as soon as possible.

Other options might be a mini meet within the Atlantic Dance Reception, as I don't want anyone to miss out on any of those festivities or to have to choose between them. Unless we want to! Or maybe after the character breakfast on Thursday November 29th?

Any thoughts? The "Jumping on the Bed Meet" sounds kinda fun too but have you seen how high the beds are at Port Orelans French Quarter? Not much clearance! Better go to Barrys room for that one!

amid chaos
07-22-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks for starting this thread Taryn as I have not given this much thought. Except Snowwark and I have tentatively suggested getting together for lunch at Beaches and Cream since she will already be in and I will be getting in early. Maybe just hanging out as everyone arrives.

NancyIL
07-22-2001, 02:40 PM
Thanks for organizing this, Taryn! I'll arrive on the 26th (Monday) with my DH and kids, as well as some of my in-laws, but I'll be solo when it comes to any DIS-Con events.

WebmasterBarry
07-23-2001, 12:26 AM
Are there high ceilings at the All-Stars? :)

Patrick IL.
07-23-2001, 04:50 PM
Hi Taryn, I will be single, meaning without DW, for the trip too. I am hoping to meet as many disers as possible. This sounds very cool too, I will not be on sight until around noon of the 28th-hope to see you all:)

Barb
07-24-2001, 11:42 PM
See, I told you there was no time for sleeping!! ;) I like the idea of meeting for a light meal, or a drink. (Coffee, tea, etc., not necessarily alcohol) :) I'll be there on the 27th, so anytime Wednesday works for me. The only problem I have right now is that Pandy Paws talked about having dinner at Whispering Canyon on the 27th! So, now what do I do? I want to have dinner with you at Restaurant Akershus and also at Whispering Canyon! This is a problem. Oh, help........I am so running out of time!! :eek:
Hey, Barry, there's usually 2 beds at the All Stars-we can jump from bed to bed, instead!! YeeHaw!!!!!!!

disneycub
07-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Hi Taryn:

Thanks for such a great idea. I will be flying solo this trip, so this sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be coming in on Tuesday the 27th in the afternoon....so any time Wednesday is cool with me. If you need any help with the meet, PM me. I haven't even started thinking about dining (got a 2-week trip in October so I've been pre-occupied with that), but am really not fond of eating alone.....so maybe something involved with food would help people. I tend to be a little shy around people I don't know.....but after about 10 minutes, I'm fine.

Would love to join you at Boma on Monday!

Sandra B.
07-27-2001, 01:06 AM
Hi Taryn,

Thanks for organizing this!

I will arrive on November 16, so anytime Wednesday works for me. I would also like to join you at Akershus and Boma! Don't like to have sit-down diners on my own; so after about 2 weeks of counter service and food court meals I would really love to have something else!!

Barb
07-27-2001, 12:22 PM
since it doesn't apprear we have specific dinner plans on the 28th, could we do Norway on the 28th and that way we could all do Whispering Canyon on the 27th, too? What do you think? Would that work? I want to eat at both places and hope this is a way to do that. Disneycub and Sandra B., I know what you mean, I don't care for eating alone at all. I ate by myself at Cinderella's Royal Table once. I won't do that again. I was way too lonely. So maybe we could all eat together! :D
Thanks for putting this together, Taryn, and if you need help, just holler. :)

disneycub
07-27-2001, 12:45 PM
Hmmmmm......Arrival and Whispering Canyon Cafe on the 27th.

Registration, Opening Reception, Singles Meet (dinner?) on the 28th.

So, any ideas on where us travelling along type people want to eat on the Around the World Dining on the 1st???

For not knowing anybody on the boards yet, my itinerary is filling up fast! :bounce:

BelleMom
07-27-2001, 10:47 PM
Great tread, Taryn!;)

I have planned to arrive in WDW on Tuesday (26), so anytime on wednesday is ok with me. Is the Whishpering Canyon dinner open for one more??? I always wanted to try this, but was too shy... I don't usually have problems dining out by myself (I work as a food critic, sometimes I don't want to subject my friends to certain experiences...), but I feel a bit out of place in spots like WC or Prime Time, that involve some interaction. If someone would like to try some of the nicer restaurants, I would love to go along too!

This is fun!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Barb
07-27-2001, 10:55 PM
Steve, I was wondering the same thing-about where to eat for the Dining around the World night? Anyone have any thoughts??

BelleMom
07-27-2001, 10:59 PM
Barb,

What is the dining out in the world night???

disneycub
07-27-2001, 11:14 PM
::checking his obsessive-compusive itinerary::

Dining Around the World is part of the convention package, I believe. On Saturday, 12/01, from 5-7pm we will be given tickets to eat at selected restaurants at World Showcase. This will include an Appetizer, Dinner and non-alcoholic drinks. This will be followed by dessert and Illuminations on one of the "special islands" by France, I believe. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.

I think I've only eaten at Chefs de France in World Showcase, and had a kaki-gori in Japan, so I'm game for anything, Barb! Another thing: if some of us decide to eat together during the Dining Around the World, I'll be glad to make the PS. Just let me know!

BelleMom
07-27-2001, 11:19 PM
I wonder what are the "select" restaurants!!! I have been only to Le Cellier and Akershus. I am game too!!! The mexican sounds great and the morrocan is said to be very nice too.

disneycub
07-27-2001, 11:21 PM
I forgot....the Morrocan restaurant is very nice. I was just grateful that the belly dancer didn't pick on me!

BelleMom
07-27-2001, 11:46 PM
Hey, Disneycub,

Maybe this time the belly dancer will pick on you!!! ;)

It is a pity we cannot really "dine around the world", I mean, eat appetizers at one country then have the main entree at a second country, etc... This way it would be possible to sample a bit of everything.

I would like to try any of the restaurants around WS. I have some restrictions to chinese food, though.

Sandra B.
07-28-2001, 12:37 AM
Hi,

I'd like to join you all for Whispering Canyon and the dining around the world too.
This is going to be sooooo much fun!!!:jester:

Barb
07-28-2001, 07:30 PM
Bellemom, I thought really dining around the world would be awesome, too. That would have given us a chance to try a bunch of different places.
Steve, I'll try any place, too. We just did Teppanyaki on our last trip and thought that was very good. That's where the guy slices and dices your meal right in front of you. I've never done Morocco, so that might be fun, too. Watching a belly dancer while we eat might be interesting entertainment. ;) Then again, maybe that's too much entertainment. ;) ;) The family and I don't usually do a dinner in the World Showcase, so any place for dinner would be something new for me.
Suggestions, everyone?? :D

BelleMom
07-28-2001, 07:40 PM
At the moment, I feel so cold down here that I can only wish for a bowl of the cheddar soup atl Le Cellier, the Canadian restaurant. On new year's eve, last year, they were selling that on the street stand and it was a true lifesaver for this shivering Brazilian. I think Le Cellier can accomodate the meat and potatoes types. Normally, I enjoy culinary adventures (it is my job, in fact): teppan also sounds wonderful. I have never been there. If we have to start suggesting I would say Le Cellier or Saint Angel (the mexican restaurant, inside the mayan pyramid).

disneycub
07-28-2001, 10:03 PM
I just realized, Belle, that you are coming all the way from Brazil! Wow! How wonderful that you are able to join us from so far away.

Le Cellier or the Teppanyaki sounds good to me, although I'll eat just about any place. :rolleyes:

BTW: 7/31 - I just posted a poll on the Dining Around the World. Check it out.

amid chaos
07-30-2001, 07:03 AM
Taryn...any ideas for a meet yet? I am open to just about anything.

Snowwark
07-30-2001, 07:47 AM
Hi Taryn, great thread! :)

There's a reception on the 28th at the Atlantic Dance Hall, right? How about if we arrange one of our meets there? I know that I might feel a little intimidated going there and standing around by myself. I don't know how the hall is set up, but if we had a table or something to gather at, that would be great.

Snowwark
08-08-2001, 09:39 PM
* Bump *

Taryn, are you out there my friend? :)

Any new ideas/times/dates for our solo travellers meet(s)?

Kim

Barb
08-08-2001, 09:44 PM
I PM'd Taryn, and told her we missed her. Also, that we're making plans and don't want to leave her out. She's having 'puter problems and can only pop in at work. Shell be back soon. She's doing Boma's for breakfast for sure.

Taryn
08-11-2001, 12:50 PM
Hi all!

Sorry to be away so long, I've been without a computer for a few weeks and so much has happened while I've ben gone I am struffling to catch up!

Looks like the Boma breakfast on the 3rd has been taken care of... thank you Barb and Tia!

As for the Akershus meet (proposed for Nov 27th) ... seems like those who were interested are also interested in the Whispering Canyon Dinner at the same time and all off my other evenings are filled up already! So here is my latest idea...

How about a slightly late-ish lunch on the 29th maybe 2:30 PM or 3 pm-ish? Added advantages... it is cheaper... and also those of us who are doing TOT that night won't have to eat dinner! Does this sound good?

Okay... on to the singles meet... I think Snowwark has a great idea about us having a table at the Atlantic Dance reception. I can plan on being there right at six and grabbing a table for us... I'll even bring a little sign or something! So this can kind of be our singles mini meet version one...

Then maybe if we would like to do something together again we could plan something at Epcot before those of us who want to go to Akershus have our meal... so like... maybe some sort of attraction meet at Epcot around 1pm or 1:30 ? Anyone have any favorites? Somewhere where we could have some time to chat would be great... I personally love Spaceship Earth or any of the countries... ideas greatfully accepted! I wanted to come up with some great concept but my poor old brain just isn't working these days! Help!

Anyway... these are my ideas...

Please post! I want to send a note to Marsha so she has our time noted in her plans so that we do not overlap with a ton of other great meets!

I missed you guys!

*Update: I just realized this will conflict with the Thrill ride meet... but if we have a mini meet at Atlantic Dance the night befoe will this be a problem? If we leave it to later in the the meet no one will need to meet other singles anymore... we will have been there for two days aleady! I am tempted to let these to overlap... anyone mind?*

disneycub
08-11-2001, 01:08 PM
OK, I'll admit to being confused. Is the Thrill Ride Meet on the 29th? Is that the date you're proposing to do the luncheon, Taryn? Or the 28th, which is registration day? :confused: Great idea to have the singles table at Atlantic Dance!!

Barb
08-11-2001, 01:19 PM
The thrill ride tour is on the 29th, followed by the Tot marathon. Taryn, could we do a late lunch or early dinner at Akershus on the 28th? We could even hang around WS for a while after lunch, in case people can't make the meal, but can meet us at EPCOT later. And, then we could all head over to Altantic Dance at 6:00 and help you meet and greet any singles that come in later. I like the idea of a singles table for that night. It will give us a "home base"! :D

Taryn
08-11-2001, 01:23 PM
Sorry to confuse disneycub!

I did get the date wrong in my original post and I have fixed it now... I did mean the 29th and it is my understanding that that is the day Barry will do his Thrill ride meet.

You know... the more I think of it though , there is sooooo much going on, why don't we just all meet at the reception... and not worry so much about a major singles meet...

Move the Akershus lunch to the Friday and if people would like to get together and take a spin on It's A Small Fiord (aka the Malestrom) together beforehand and maybe join those of us who are interested in having lunch at Akershus after and call that our meet? Sound better?

I want to do everything!

Taryn
08-11-2001, 01:26 PM
Barb,

Cool idea about the 28th but when I proposed it at the beginning there seemed to be a lot of people who were not arriving until later so I kind of scrapped that idea...

Does having lunch on the 30th sound better... I'm kind of getting to like the idea... *smiles*

luvdsny
08-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Sorry.....a non-solo traveler here who can't keep her thoughts to herself..... :rolleyes:

I think, Taryn, that you should stick to your original plan of a 'luncheon' singles meet on the 28th (Between Registration and the Reception). This will allow the singles who are there to form 'a base' (like mentioned by Barb :) ). That night, you can ALSO have a singles table to welcome the late-arrivals. :)

And I agree, that if you dont' do it right off the bat....there will be 'need' for one. :)

Just my .02 :D

Barb
08-11-2001, 01:54 PM
Taryn, I hate to be the one that keeps putting a crimp in the plans, but it looks like Friday maybe the Tea at the GF. So, if you all decide to have lunch at Akershus on Friday, don't change it just for me. I don't want to hold everyone else up and make you all rearrange things just for me.
The only thing I could think of was just having lunch for whoever (singles and anyone else who wants to come-families, etc.) could make it on the 28th and have the "official" singles meet at 6:00 at Atlantic Dance. But, don't let just me make a mess of the plans! We've got plenty of other meets already planned and we'll have plenty of time to spend together.

Taryn
08-11-2001, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys!

I think you are right... I just wanted to please everyone and I suppose that is not always possible...

So I'll make a lunch PS at Akershus for say 2:30 pm then on the 28th (I'll need some time before the Atlantic meet to run back to the Dolphin and grab our sign for the Singles table and a few odds and ends) and hanging out at Epcot a bit before or after sounds great...

And then our meet will be at Atlantic Dance at 6pm till whenever...

I like it...

And for anyone who can't make it and is still a bit nervous about jumping in alone... just post here... I am sure there are many who would love to include you in their plans later on in the festivities!

There plans made!

Just send me a PM if you wish to join the Akershus lunch and I'll make a PS...

luvdsny
08-11-2001, 02:51 PM
::wiping forehead:: Whew! ;) Don't you just love it when a plan finally comes togehter! :) :)

disneycub
08-11-2001, 08:29 PM
It's a Small Fiord?????

ROFLMAO!

Taryn
08-12-2001, 10:21 AM
disneycub,

Sure! It's a Small Fiord...

My boyfriend started renaming all the water rides after we went on It's a Small World...

Living with the Land became It's A Small Lettuce....
Pirates of the Carribbean beacame It's A Small Pilage...
The Mexico ride became It's a Small Pinata...

Need new names for Splash etc. *laughs*

Barb
08-13-2001, 08:06 PM
Taryn, I love "It's a small pinata"!!!! That is a riot!! They're all really funny. :D I can't wait to see what else he comes up with! :D :p :p

NancyIL
08-14-2001, 08:34 AM
So much to do...so little time! Though I'll be solo at the convention events, I probably can't get away with too many solo activities during the day when my family is around. It sounds like you guys are going to have a great time!