PDA

View Full Version : advice for Weight Watchers

206bones
10-11-2004, 07:40 PM
I have seen several comments from Weight Watchers going to WDW & trying to stay on program. If anyone has any specific advice - restaurants to go to or AVOID, types of food to eat, how to get all the fruits & veggies in - please respond.

I'm leaning towards getting more lunch-size portions and/or appetizers since I don't want leftovers & I don't want to over indulge.

This round on WW I have lost 16 pounds, for a total of 34 pounds. It comes off too hard to put it back on real quick in 1 week!

CherylDan
10-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Hi! As a fellow WW, I am looking forward to the responses you get! I've pretty much decided to just take the week off from counting, but not go nuts.....then get right back on plan when the vacation is over. But it sure would be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried to figure out the points for any of the WDW restaurants. :sunny:

dalt01
10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
remember you will be walking off 3 to 4 points per hour so it will be easy to at least break even

Susan--Ontario
10-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I don't count stuff exactly when I'm on vacation but I do try and plan to avoid the point of purchase snacking. ie. take apples, power bars, cheese, raisins, carrots or whatever else you can grab to kill a craving as you're walking by the ice cream carts, etc.

I find that if I have something else to eat then it's easier to walk on by. Also remember to take your own gum. sometimes you might avoid eating if you've just put a new piece of gum in your mouth, and you can't buy gum at WDW.

Obsessing about points/calories may ruin your vacation. I just try to remember to eat all the food groups (ie throw in lots of veggies if you can). ps.. beer is not a bread :crazy:

plutosmyfav
10-12-2004, 01:02 PM
This is a good thread for me, I'll be there tommorow evening! I plan to count, but of course it will be estimating.

DVCTiff
10-12-2004, 05:22 PM
Check out the Wish board too - there's lots of great WW advice there!

206bones
10-12-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm not a big breakfast eater at all and I especially don't want to eat lots of breads [French toast, pancakes, bagels]. I'm hoping to get some nice fresh fruit down there, hopefully tropical. Has anyone seen this?

We'll be at Pop Century; I know some of the other resorts have pieces of fruit but not fruit plates.

MelessaG
10-14-2004, 09:33 AM
DH and I are going to do a lot of meal splitting. I am cutting my Mickey Bar consumption to 1 per trip instead of 1 each day.(should I even admit that used to be my habit?) and I'm planning to split any other treats with my kids. I have four of them (though only three eat 'real' food), so that's a great method of portion control by itself. I'm going to try and stay filled up on fruits, veggies, and water as much as possible. I've looked over Deb Willis' site for restaurant and counter service menus to see what my 'healthier' choices are in the parks. Oh, and I'm also saving my 'skip your weigh-in' pass for the first WW meeting after my trip. :p I know if I stress too much about it, I'm more likely to overeat than if I try to enjoy myself in moderation.

WebmasterKathy
10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Some recommendations from one who has "been there", and who managed to come home from a week at WDW weighing less than when she got there:

* Start your day with a WW-style breakfast: sensible cereal with skim milk and fruit, low-fat yogurt are good choices. (Resort restaurant breakfasts can be really tricky, with all that sausage, bacon, biscuits, and cheesy stuff! It's easy to use a whole day's worth of points at a breakfast buffet, so I avoid them.)

* Plan one "larger" and one "smaller" meal each day- if you're planning a Mama Melrose dinner, plan a very light lunch, for example.

* When you're hungry for a snack in the parks, seek out the fruit stands instead of the Mickey bars. Take some portable high-energy snacks with you in your pack: dried fruits, granola bars, nuts.

* You can find menus for the restaurants you're planning to visit at Deb Wills' site: www.wdwig.com. Study the menus and identify the more on-plan choices ahead of time. Try to avoid creamy sauces, cheesy dishes, high-fat dressings. Save those points for dessert (see below!)

* Desserts- you're on vacation! Live a little! If a dessert is really calling your name (I'm a chocoholic... life's just not as much fun without some sinful chocolate desserts now and then. ;) ) I would go for it! Again- you can exercise some portion control here. Share a dessert, or just eat half. If you can't control yourself and just have to clean the plate, SAVOR EVERY BITE! You're going to walk off lots of calories at the parks. (I would try not to do this every day...)

* You can afford to splurge a bit on some meals... enjoy those unusual and unique offerings, but remember that you do not need to eat a *huge* portion to enjoy your meal! Leave some on your plate, or share...

* Burgers and fries are among the WORST on-the-go meal choices. Most of the quick-meal places have at least one lower-fat option, and you can often get a fruit or a salad instead of fries.

* You will do TONS of walking!

* Drink LOTS of water! You can buy bottled water all over the place in the parks.

(I really love Marrakesh- I think it's one of the most unique WDW restaurants!)

I did not try to actually count points when I was at WDW. I would have made myself crazy doing that... I just tried to make good choices based on what I had learned. I considered it practice for when I'm on maintenance.

206bones
10-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Does anyone know the nutritional content of a Dole Whip? I have been to WDW 6 times & still have not had 1. Want to plan for it.

Also, we'll be at Pop Century. They have fresh fruit for breakfast - good deal! Also yogurt with granola - does anyone know if the nutritional information is posted or available at the resorts?

Thanks for the advice.

SnackyStacky
10-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Oneother thing to remember at WDW is not to deprive. If you want that Mickey bar, then have one.

ONE.

Don't get one everyday. But your last full day there, get one. And enjoy EVERY last bite.

You're going to be able to do a lot better if you can have a little bit of what you're craving instead of denying that craving.

Enjoy!