PDA

View Full Version : marathon training thread for 10/10-10/17

karebear1
10-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey everyone! It's the start of a new week...... and needs to be the start of a new attitude for me!

I feel like I am losing the excitement I had in training. Anyone else with me on this??? Last week i only walked 2 out of 6 days! THAT"S NOT GOOD!!!!! I'm trying to figure out what I can do to peek my interest again- and having a real hard time with coming up with anything. So- for those of you reading some of those books...... Would you please post some of the inspirational quotes you read form them here? I know it would help me- and others- that are in this funk. It seems at one time or another we're all there. My eating has be awful for the last 3 weeks too. So- I'm addressing that as well. I want to lose another 10 lbs. by Halloween. Crossing my fingers to do that anyway!

HELP ME!!!! Please!?!?!?!?

I have to walk 7 miles today and I don't want to. UGH!!! Is this hormonal?????

karebear1
10-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Well- I did my 7 miles for the day. It was S-L-O-W...... but it's done! I did have to contend with traffic lights and many hills, so I think that accounts for the slower time. I feel pretty good. Not sore (yet). Next week DH nad I are going to head ionto downtown Portland to do the 7 miles. It's flater and will give us a more realistic time.

Where does everyone else walk? Do you walk on marked trails, neighborhoods , tracks or places where there are stop lights etc?

I feel good about having finished this training walk today.

How was everyone's weekend???

Tiger Lily 03
10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
I have read all the posts from last week, I just haven't had the opportunity to reply.

Karen, stay with it! I wish I had the right words to offer. You can do it even if it is not entertaining. Just as has been said, the hardest part is lacing up those shoes. Get into some sort of habit so you don't even have to think about it. Then you've also heard the part about putting one foot in front of the other and voila! You're doing it! I'm not reading anything inspirational so would also like to hear from anyone who can offer.

I had an off week last week. I don't know what I did but after my long walk I just had the most difficult time walking anything last week. It was not because I didn't want to. It was because it hurt. I had/have pain in both of my feet like they are on fire. I walk, but they hurt. So I did take off some time to kind of try to ease it up a bit.

I didn't take off all the days. I just went WAY slower and cut down distance.

I did manage to participate in the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Race for the Cure on Saturday. I did 5 k and a lot of walking around before and after the event. It was still a bit difficult to do, but as my inspiration, I just looked around at the survivors. I figured I have no problems when I look at what these people have gone through.

I also felt better Sunday and participated in a 5k race that I had been hoping to do as a sort of "stay in the game" event. My 5k race was great today. It is the first time Ted has come to support me in something like this. I was thrilled that he felt well enough to be there for me. He has been through so much that I also figure if he can do it I have no problem.

Hey, I wasn’t last either! I finished 169 out of 180 with a 12 plus minutes per mile rate. The fact that I did it is the main thing for me. It was fun. Now I must pay for that fun with all the housework I have not done this weekend. I am desperately going to try to accomplish things with the rest of my day here. I started this post earlier, but I am still at it after all the rest of the day. I'm going off to bed now.

NancyK
10-11-2004, 07:14 AM
Good morning everyone,
Karen - I wish I had some words of inspiration for you, but sadly I don't. I agree with the statement that putting those running shoes and getting out the door is the hardest part of the walk. The thought of walking seems so much worse than actually doing it.
Yesterday I managed to walk 9 miles in my best time yet (14.8 minutes/mile) My son was home from university for the weekend and he got up early with me and roller bladed alongside me. I am very fortunate in that we live near Niagara Falls, Ontario. There is a paved trail that runs beside the Niagara River for many, many miles. We usually drive there and choose a section to walk. I have also walked in the city, and I can tell you that your time will be a lot better once you're away from the traffic and stop lights etc.
Tiger Lily - congratulations on doing the 5k in such good time.
Have a good week!

ohMom
10-11-2004, 07:43 AM
good morning my traininng friends

karen -- (((HUGS))) i have been there and it's a downer i know. could be hormones, could be the dreaded b-word? burnout?? are you working with a trainer still? if you are tell him/her! my first thoughts are to either a) take a few days or a week off, give it to yourself and enjoy each day of needed rest and it will refresh your motivation to train or b) crosstrain more -- find some other activity you enjoy and do that two-three times a week in place of walking. you'll still be burning calories and exercising, and you'll be working different muscles and refreshing your mindset too

tlily - WTG on your 5k!!! my housework is staring me in the face today too, i have neglected for two weeks now, just doing the bare minimum and DDs want the halloween stuff out too!

Mom and I and 4 other ladies had a weekend getaway last weekend - it went well and I got lots done, but didn't eat on plan or walk at all! i'm starting week 2 of MFM program this week and it actually worked out b/c last week I did sun-fri and this week I need to do it mon - sat. i'm tired and slow this morning, but I will get out and walk before lunch today

i hope everyone's aches and pains are much better this week!:wave: :wave: :wave:

Auntmeme
10-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Hello marathoners:wave2: I missed you while I was on our Magic cruise:sunny: It was wonderful!

Karen - chin up you did 7 miles - wahoo:bounce: I am feeling a little out of it since we returned on sat but I came here to see how all of you are doing and this is the best motivator:teeth: I am sooo looking forward to meeting everyone. I see you have a big group going to cheer & walk with you. I could not convince any family/friends to go:( Dh even had to be strong-armed.

Tigerlily - congrats on your success! sounds like an inspirational 5k.

The good news is I did walk 3x while on vaca - 2.25, 3.25 & 4.25. The bad news is I ate so much I'm scared to step on the scale & I swear I'm still swaying:p Hopefully I will walk tonight but now I'm off to shop for some fall shoes & clothes, it's barely 60 degrees here:mad:

Susan--Ontario
10-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Good Monday Morning Everyone,

I'm so glad I don't have to go to work today. It's our Thanksgiving here today and I just want to say that I'm thankful for my family(all of them), my health and my friends here on the DIS board. I haven't done any walking this past week because of my foot hurting. I'm just about to head out for a short walk and see how it goes. I did do some bike riding and a little bit of WATP. This weekend I've done lots of sorting and cleaning (does that count as cross training).

I too feel that I need a boost. It's 13 weeks till it's all over and I know we can all do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's make a pact that we'll walk at least 12 miles this week. I'm hoping that my foot won't give me any trouble and I"ll be able to do a long walk next weekend.

Have a super day!!!

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
10-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Morning everyone- gosh- I really have missed hearing from each of you. I plan to read last week's news but it won't be today so I am just jumping back in with a great big HI !!

It was a wonderful vacation to Williamsburg VA and much more than DH and I ever thought it would be. We loved being in the year 1774 - and it was so easy to play the part. I did walk several mornings and of course we put lots walking time in each day too. I did gain 4 pounds - but I enjoyed putting them on, too! I truly allowed chocolate and bread to become staples in my diet!

And, then home long enough to wash some undies ;-) and off again to a fun weekend with M and friends. We did enjoy as M told you previously. BUT..............

That brings me to today - my RESTART- hard to get back into the groove. (well at least I have the day off - government closed for Col Day). I managed to get 5.5 tming in this AM and I am journaling my food intake and have my water measured sitting on the counter so that I will make sure to be drinking, too. So, I am off and "running" to get with the program again.

My commitment this week is back to no eating after 7pm and I am decaffing myself again. I really have gotten to like the jolt of the caffeine and since chocolate is not part of my diet once again - that too will help me to decaf me. Okay there you got the details - well of course you know I am saying this all out loud so I know that you have heard me and will keep watching my every move - well at least the ones that include foods that I should not be partaking in anyway :-) thanks you guys - I do need knowing your there!!!

Kudos to Tlily - you did great! 12+ min miles is pretty awesome for someone who has "hurting" feet!! take it easy and don't overdo tho.

Karen - (((((hugs))))) wish I had an inspiration quote to send you but I don't - but I did say a prayer for you ;) Like Molli said we all tend to get into the "funk" so I am just claiming that you will be out of it real soon! What a supportive DH you have, too. Hang in there. Also, I am thinking when you get your eating back into control that will hlep the mental outlook too. Keep your chin up and post lots of postive messages around to remind you - that YOU are important and that you are doing this for a healthier YOU - cause YOU ARE WORTH IT !!

I must get moving - glad to be back (who am I kidding ?????) I loved- being on vacation and then my fun weekend - today is my last "play" day for awhile.

But I have so many blessings in this life and I am thankful that you all are a part it! ::yes::

AlreadyexcitedGrammy
10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
TLily mentioned that her feet are hurting - well I went to the shoe store that Molli's ortho guy suggested and I actually needed a bigger shoe. I was having trouble with my orthotics not feeling right and my little toe was getting sore and now I know why. I was trying to cram them into too small of shoes. I don't know that I could have done all the walking we did last week if I hadn't gotten new shoes. I would have been miserable.

So, TLily you might make sure that your shoes are fitting right.

One thing the salesperson said is that it really is best to get fitted late in the day and that by the time you are done with a "longer" walk/run you might measure in a different size than what you started with. He is big on lacing so that the foot has room to "swell/ settle out". also, if there is heel slipping there is a way to lace for that too.

Any way just wanted to mention - it is worth seeking out a good place to get there advice. I know Karen said that previously too, so just a reiteration of what we have heard before - but something that we all should be thinking about with all the miles we are putting in for this training.

Debbie
10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
:wave: Hello, Everyone! Happy Thanksgiving, and Happy Columbus Day to our US friends.

Mary Liz and I walked 9.4375 miles today. We did it in 2 hours and 40 minutes and that included our cooldown. We felt good, and, personally, I could have walked further. The last bit was tough as we were walking into the (cold) wind. It was 2ºC when we started, and not that much warmer when we finished. I'm still feeling good, and not really all that tired. ;)

Karen it really IS hard to be motivated all the time. I've slacked off somewhat, but I know that having someone to walk with has makes the world of difference for me. :bounce: Even the short distances go faster with 2. Too bad my DDs won't walk with me. Maybe I'll suggest that they ride their bikes! 7 miles is nothing to sneeze at. WTG!!!!

Lily, you did fabulously on your runs....and with sore feet! Congratulations!!!!!

Nancy, I know that you enjoyed the walk - and the time- with the boy. Your time was awesome. Terrific effort! Your first ½ marathon will be here before you know it.

Molli, how did that walk go? You've given Karen some wise words. Sometimes, we just need to back off, and relax a bit!

MaryEllen, your trip sounds divine. You'll be land secure and not swaying before you know it. I hate the thought of the winter coming. :( Enjoy the fall days as long as they are here.

Susan, I know that I need to improve my day to day walking. 12 miles isn't too bad of a goal. I'll give it a whirl. Take care of that foot....and kick the DD off of it!

Bev, glad that you had a nice break. I'm with you....I love vacation. Sometimes, I think about retiring, but with my youngest only 10, it is only that....a dream. Good point on the shoe thing. I know that I have made sure that mine are larger than my normal size. I bought another pair of shoes this week. DH says, WHAT! Are ALL of these YOURS?!?! I just smile, nod and get out there right quick. I think that i will try to join you on the no late night eating route. My time, though, will be 8:12 pm. I must resist. I must resist.

When Mary Liz and I were walking, we talked about the all girls trip I took in 2001. Nancy and I went with my two daughters. We got the $49 rate at ASM, and ended up in "Country". Believe me, we were IN the country. We were as far away from the food court as we could be. . . .and I had a lot of trouble walking. In fact, I could barely make the parking lot without difficulty. I'd love to try this again, with the "new" me. I think that we could do that walk in no time flat, don't you??

Keep the faith, my friends.

Remember: Just put one foot in front of the other. . .and soon you'll be walking out that do-o-or! Because slow and steady wins the race....and the Donald medal!

trola2
10-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you up north!! I hope you had a happy day.

Just thought I'd touch base quickly. Tlily, thanks for walking for the Cure! My mom's illness is technically her 3rd bout of Breast Cancer. We're stocking up on those breast cancer M&M's and also I've just ordered breast cancer mints through Oriental trading for when we have her rememberance event. I don't quite know what to call it....open house? My mom has her good days and her bad days...it's strange when her good days are about the same now as her bad days used to be! We have help coming to bathe her now and we have to physically dress her, etc. It certainly puts things into perspective for us....She isn't able to get out anymore, but that's probably good. I think she'd be really upset with all the hurricane destruction. My mom is probably the most orderly person I know. I didn't get that gene! ha ha Anyway, we're still hanging in there and keeping one foot in front of the other.

My family drama this week included a trip to the ER for my hubby...he really hurt is back trying to clear trees and they found his BP was 195 over 120. Five prescriptions later his back is better but his BP is only down to 165/110 so we're hoping to get him in to his doc tomorrow. The last 6 months or so there has just been something with my family constantly. I'm so ready for this roller coaster to smooth out! I'd like to be a little more like Goofy's Barnstormer than the Rock 'N Roller Coaster all the time! ::yes::

And *drum roll* I AM going to walk tomorrow. ::yes:: I think my path is clear enough this afternoon that I can try anyway. One day all this debris will be gone and I will have no excuse!! Anyway, I'm going to try and I'll report back and let you know if I follow through. I wonder if my body will remember walking?:rotfl: AND here is a funny thought...my favorite park that I used to go walk at all the time...the one that I can't go to now because of the destruction. I never really thought about it until yesterday but the name of that is HURRICANE Park!! The high school in that town uses "hurricane" as it's team name so the park is named after them. They use the ball fields there. Anyway, isn't that appropriate?::yes::

Karen, 7 miles. You are awesome!! Remember when you weren't sure you could do two whole miles? ::yes::

Tiger Lily- TWO races in ONE weekend!! WAY TO GO!!::yes::

Nancy- I used to travel for a living and was in Niagra USA once a month for a couple of days. I can't think of anywhere that would be a more beautiful walk this time of year! I have pictures from Columbus day 1993 with my mom that are truly breath taking.::yes::

ohmom- welcome home and glad you had a great time!! It's hard for me to get back in the swing like that when I've been away. Having a plan is smart!::yes::

Meme- Magic cruise...tough walking with that scenery, too! Glad you had a good time and kudos to you for walking the 3 times! ::yes::

Susan, hope your Thanksgiving was a nice one. How is the foot now?

Grammy- glad to hear your endorsement of Williamsburg. I truly want to go there. We had lots of travelers this weekend, didn't we?::yes::

Debbie...just for you...I checked and I'll be walking at 18degrees C tomorrow AM with a mere 97% humidity. (But weather.com says it will only feel like 17 degrees C.) That's really 65 for the rest of us! It's not the heat here...it's the humidity. That 65 will be a sweaty walk none-the-less. BTW I laughed about you being in the country at ASMu. We've hit that one many times but since we have a van with us we drive to the front and get on the bus! Talk about lazy!! Actually, it's because we've always ended up carrying a sleeping toddler all the way from teh bus to the room after a long day in the park. WE had a fabulous trip in Feb on our all girls trip. I'm hoping to do that again sometime.::yes::

Ok...that's it from me. Gotta get some chores done! I'm gone 90% of the time now but I don't find that my chores have decreased in the slightest!!

Have a great training day everyone! I get online at my moms while I am there during the days and read the Dis a lot. It really uplifts me to read what all of you are doing!::yes::
~~Beth:wave:
:flower1: :flower1: :flower1:

geetey
10-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Hello WISH Walkers!!

I decided it is about time I start regularly checking in on this thread. I have been reading along for weeks and am SO motivated by all of you, just haven't had the time to post. Not anymore!

Like a few others, I am following the Marathons for Mortals training plan. Thank you to the WISHer that recommended John Bingham's book! I love it!! I have had to shift the days though so my long walks will be on Thursdays versus Sundays. I need Monday to be a day of rest.

Today was 30 minutes plus warmup and cooldown. Has anyone else noticed that it seems harder to train on the treadmill versus outside, or is it just me? I feel like it is harder to get a natural pace going when the treadmill is forcing my rate.

Just as a side note.... is anyone dealing with medical issues while training? I have recently started drug therapy for my recently diagnosed MS and the side effects have definitely been kicking my tail! I *know* I can walk the distance - just worried about the time.

Before I go... a quote for Karen from Marthathons for Mortals...
Think of your long distrance training program as a blueprint for a home you are building. You'll start with the blueprint that includes the long walk, the shorter workouts, the rest days, the cross training and so on. It is all in front of you from the beginning. Once the program begins, so does the shuffling. Training days may shift or aches and pains may delay a long workout for a week.

Just as in building a home, you will encounter factors that you can and cannot control along the way. So start with a blueprint, but let the training unfold naturally with all of the peaks and valleys. Just as you would never push a project to the point where the quality suffers, you should not push your training to the point of burnout or injury.

Keep mixing things up and soon the excitement will be back! Only 13 more weeks until we are in WDW!!!!!!!!!!!

tw1nsmom
10-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi all!

Well it's time to get serious. I just can't keep yo-yoing, gaining and losing the same five pounds over and over. Today I started mapping out some alternative walking routes for some variety, and walked two miles while the kids were at school. So far today I've been making good food choices. Dinner was sirloin, mashed cauliflower, and saute'd mushrooms and red peppers. Yummm. I can cook really good healthy food, but cookies are so much easier.:rolleyes:

Dawn

decaff38
10-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Haven't posted for a bit. My garage sale went well. Made 200.00. May have sold our old pathfinder for $1000.00. That would be a nice boost. In need to make some real cash commitments here. (Rental car, hotel, passes,vouchers etc..)
I left for Mpls. on Sun and had dinner with my son and his girlfriend. My 14 year old went with me. We got a king room on the top floor and a corner room with windows all around. A beautiful view of the skyline. It was soo relaxing. My daughter hung out in our room and did her homework until my conferece was over at 3:00. The Hilton allowed her to stay in the room until 3:00. Nice place. I did get up and go to the exercise room before my conference for 45 minutes on the treadmil. This morning I got up early and ran for 50 min. My 14 yr. old finished her soccer season today by getting 3 goals and her team took 2nd in their tournament. Our 17 year old goes to districts on Sat. in Mpls. Back I go , 220 miles one way. They are really excited. The weather was in the 60s today but Sat. the high is supposed to be 42. Brrrr!! I was suppose to spend Sat. night with the girls at the casino but I will be bundled up at the soccer field instead.
Back to training talk. I haven't been the best with my training lately, Too many other committments. I really like the Marathon for Mortals quote. I just received my copy of that book in the mail today. I will work out at the club tomorrow and run on Thurs. I decided I need to alternate running days and workout days so that I get them done. I have dropped 3 more pounds , so I must be doing something right. I have really been drinking my water lately and staying on plan.
Hope everyone is hanging in there.

ohMom
10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
hi friends :)

today is my rest day, yesterday was crazy here, DDs had a day off school due to fog and we ended up at the mall for some needed winter clothes shopping for them.

anyhoo -- yesterday I did my crosstraining DA shrink female fat zone. i'm considering a casual walk tonight, i'll call my other neighbor and see if she wants too. it's been spitting rain here all day though, very dreary. I need to do my 30 min powerwalk tomorrow early a.m. due to another activity-filled day so PD for no rain in the morning. this means early to bed for me tonight -- i'm not in my routine of early morning workouts anymore!

i've decided to go cold turkey and detox myself from sugar for a few days, no pressure just until I feel better and lose the cravings

auntmeme -- oh the cruise -- sounds so wonderful, i mean magical ;) i'm proud of you for walking on-board, that is dedication!

susan -- 12 miles this week huh? we'll i'm figuring my 30 min walks are around 2.25 miles so that's 4.5 on mon/thursday walks so that means my long one on sat would be 7.5:earseek: i thought i was due a long one, you're on sister!

geetey -- how nice to see you around here again! i don't do the TM so i'll let the experts answer that one for you and i'm not on meds but I just have big (((HUGS))) for your return with us!

nancyK - 14.8 min/miles for 9 miles -- well i do believe you are trained! WTG!!

dawn and decaff -- welcome back to your training! you deserve it!

guys this is what is keeping me going this week -- mainly today and mainly in my food choices but -- i'm thinking that I have put sooo much into this trip (trip planning, walking, preparing DDs for their mother's solo trip to WDW, siking myself up for it) not to mention the financial obligations for WISHcon2005 (resort, air fare, park tickets, meals, massage, advil, proper shoes and wicking socks, it just goes on and on doesn't it) oh my i'm babbling, my point is -- with so much going into the trip what fool would I be to not eat right and powerwalk with my best effort on this homestretch to the event? I will enjoy the 1/2 immensely more if I'm fit and trained to my best ability for that moment, and I will reap the rewards for not choosing to live "in the moment" by eating junk, skipping a workout, etc -- but keep my eye on the final destination -- the Donald medal!!!!!!!

Amen?

karebear1
10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
AMEN !!!!

I totally agree with what you just said Molli! That is the reasoning that will sit hard in my head and not slip away. Thanks for the thought!! I will have so much more fun and enjoy myself so much more if I can just stick to this for the next 85 days. That's not impossible! in fact- I may ahve to make myself a marathon countdown calander so I can rip off the days. Geesh! Just like a little kid! Oh well- if it works............ it works!

OK everyone- I think we all agree that it REALLY IS TIME to get moving! In that vain, I'm making a new commitment today.

1) I will make my countdown calender.
2) Starting RIGHT NOW- I am eating RIGHT! It doesn't matter that I already blew it for the day. I will start with dinner and work from there.
3) I will not miss anymore of my training.

Those 3 thigns I will committ to today!

Hoiw about everyone else!?!?!? Come on ladies! There are too many of us that need to get on better track! Who wants to join in?????

ohMom
10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
you go girl! :cool1: :cool1:

i just came in from a casual 1.8 mile walk with my neighbor, i'm trying hard to add 2-3 of these per week just for the added evening boost

karen - we can do this together! i like your countdown calendar idea! i have a disney desktop calendar and i remember buying it in january and thinking it would inspire me throughout the year for my WDW goal next january -- there have been days recently i pull the day off and think, i can't believe how thin this calendar is, i remember it being so full and now i'll think of you and my countdown calendar!

Tiger Lily 03
10-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Everyone is doing great! I am thrilled to read all your posts.

Beth, :hug:
You sure have a lot on your plate. I do the Race for the Cure event in memory of my Grandmother, and in honor of my Mother. I guess the clock is ticking there for me.

I picked up the Bingham book Marathon for Mortals. I am anxious to read it.

I need to get off and go exercise. It was a long day and I haven't moved any.

I have shifted things a bit here. I did exercise on Monday, my 2 miles/60 minutes at a varied pace through, just still took the hour. I am going to do an exercise cd tonight and hope that this eases things fro my feet.

Bev, thanks I am going back to the running store, just no time yet. I was professionally fitted for the shoes I am wearing. I am wondering the same if there is a miss calc in sizing.

karebear1
10-13-2004, 08:17 PM
I did my 3 miles today- and now I'm off to make my countdown calender!

Molli- way to go on the extra walking!

Lily- I hope your feet get better fast for you. I know when my feet were in that pain mode, I felt pretty hopeless. You just keep working at it, just do it slowly and if you feel pain stop. Pushing yourself will probably make it worse.

Beth- I love it when you check in! Did you get your walk the other day? How is DH's back and BP? I talked to my mom FINALLY last night. SHe said taht all the trees in their yard were down! It's a mess. She also said one of the neighbors trees fell on her fence and shed. He cut down what tree was left in his yard and told her she was responsible for the rest. :rolleyes: My mom is a widow.... and 73 years old! How the heck is she gonna cut that tree down? And what makes him thnk he's not responsinle for HIS tree falling on her fence. I told her to let the insurance guy handle it. He'll walk over and hand them a bill for fence repair with no problem I'm sure! Anyway- I hope your path was cleared and you could walk!

Decaff- I'll ask you the same thing i asked Molli! CAN I BORROW SOME MONEY?!?!?!? ;) Sounds like you did great on your garage sale too! SO- what doi you have planned for that money??? hmmmmm???? Congrats on the weight loss! Sounds like those girls have you running like crazy!

Tw1nsmom- sounds like your on the right track! Keep it up!

geetey- welcome back. We've missed hearing from you! And thanks for finding a quote for me! it's nice to know someone would take the time to find thyat and then actually type it for me. It helps me in my perspective of what I need to do. I think it's harder to do the treadmill then walk outside too! There's something about the coll wind blowing in my face and the change of scenery that makes it much easier. I really like walking in either the early AM or in the evening after the sun has gone down.

Debbie- csounds to me like you and Mary Liz are on track for SUCCESS! You're gonna get that DONALD MEDAL! WOOOHOOOOOO! I'm hoping that my training schedule is going to start showing me needing to do 10 mile walks soon. I'm up to 7 miles. I really think if I can do 10- then I can for sure do 13.1!

Bev- I missed you when you were gone! It sounds like you had a great time thopugh. My DH and I went ot Williamsburg about 3 years ago and had a great time. We stayed at a B&B there- it was wonderful. Sometimes I think I belonged back in those days- but then I think about doing laundry- and I'm thankful i was born when I was!!! How are you doing with NOT eating after 7 and no caffeine this week? I'll bet the later is difficult! GOOD LUCK!

Susan- you need to make a countdown calender with me! I think it'll help! I'm in on the 12 mile commitment with you!

Meme- how was your cruise??? I want to hear about it! I'm so impressed that you walked ! WHAT A WOMAN!!!! I'm doing the 7 day western in January after the cruise- any suggestions on excursions???

Well- I'm gonna go do my calender and listen to the last debate (thank heaven!) HAVE A GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE!

karebear1
10-13-2004, 08:31 PM
I just read a post that Molli answered and I didn't realize that the start line for the half marathon is in a different place from where the marathon starts. So, I took out my map to see..... AND_-SHE WAS RIGHT! You're so smart! Anyway- while I was looking MUCH closer at the map, I noticed that there are only water stops for half marathoners- no food stops! Did anyone else notice that? Is that really the way it is? It seems to me they should have somehting for the half.marathoners before the 14th mile to refresh their bodies with food. Is this the way it is at all half marathons?

NancyK
10-13-2004, 08:34 PM
guys this is what is keeping me going this week -- mainly today and mainly in my food choices but -- i'm thinking that I have put sooo much into this trip (trip planning, walking, preparing DDs for their mother's solo trip to WDW, siking myself up for it) not to mention the financial obligations for WISHcon2005 (resort, air fare, park tickets, meals, massage, advil, proper shoes and wicking socks, it just goes on and on doesn't it) oh my i'm babbling, my point is -- with so much going into the trip what fool would I be to not eat right and powerwalk with my best effort on this homestretch to the event? I will enjoy the 1/2 immensely more if I'm fit and trained to my best ability for that moment, and I will reap the rewards for not choosing to live "in the moment" by eating junk, skipping a workout, etc -- but keep my eye on the final destination -- the Donald medal!!!!!!!

Amen! We've all invested so much time & money for this trip, it is foolish to throw it all away for the fleeting pleasure of eating unhealthy stuff! Thanks for the inspiration!:)

geetey
10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
AMEN! Molli! It is amazing how much this 'little' trip is going to cost. My dh and I were just going over my budget - still trying to find some half way decent airfare - and I am surprised! :eek: I am going to do everything I can to prepare myself properly for this race! Getting the training in, *fueling* my body with good stuff, focusing on that Donald Medal! :hyper:

Karen, I would love to see a sneak peek of your map, but yes, I have read that there are no food stations until after the completion of the half marathon. I guess they don't want to feed us. ;)

I have tried a couple of protein bars as possibilites for the walk. Nothing wonderful yet so I may try the gel next. Anyone know for sure what fluids will be offered? If we have water and a sports drink? If so, I will probably do sports drink at one station, water at the next.

Thanks for the welcome back! I am glad to be focusing my energy on such a positive thing!

karebear1
10-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Terry-
When I did the 10K a few weeks ago, they were handing out Snickers Marathon Energy Bars- THEY WERE FANTASTIC!!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMY!!!! Gotta try 'em!

Susan--Ontario
10-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Good Thursday Morning Everyone!!:sunny:

It's not sunny here but we'll let the sunshine inside brighten up the day.

Last night I decided to heck with the foot I was going for a walk. I did 2 miles in 40 minutes. The foot hurt a little bit but I soaked it in ice water when I got home and wrapped it and this morning it doesn't feel any worse then it did yesterday. I'm wrapping it with the tape that they use on horses ankles.:crazy:

I'm up to 3 and a half miles so far this week. I know it's a far cry from the 12 I promised but hopefully by Sunday I'll be able to do 5 or 6 miles without incident. I only went out the door last night to stop the food attack I was in the middle of. I think I burned off enough calories to make up for the three Oreo's I ate. I don't even really like them but I think my body is preparing for winter and wanting to pack on a few pounds. It's not cravings I'm having it's my stomach actually growling. I eat a fruit or something, wait the half hour and I'm still hungry. Anyone else preparing for hibernation??

Debbie eats those protein gel pack things when we walk but I can't stand them. They take my breath away. I usually eat a protein bar and an apple on my long walks. We're working on what to bring for the marathon. They only offer water and powerade for the half so we need to bring our own food.

Have a super day everyone!!

maryliz
10-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Good morning everyone! Last week's training didn't go so great ... only go to Curves 3 times, and pretty much NO :rolleyes: walking. Until Monday that is, when Debbie and I did our long walk. I felt great afterwards, but it counts for this week,not last. And the morning last week I posted I was going for a 40 min walk at lunch, well a friend suggested we go out for lunch, and it took me less than 2 seconds to dump my walk idea and head for lunch :confused3 What was I thinking ??? So, there's my "confession" !

We are on the homestretch to our upcoming move next week, and have a bazaar to help with this weekend. I have to do at least a 2 hour walk on the weekend, and that will be my last "long" walk until the 1/2 marathon the following Sunday. I will have to get out for the odd hour here and there over the next 8 days, and will do Curves the 3x each week, but that will be about it. Moving boxes is considered cross-training!

AMEN to everything Molli said! We've worked too hard to mess it up now. And we won't ... 'cause we're all in this together!

Happy training, everyone!

Mary Liz

karebear1
10-14-2004, 08:56 AM
OH Ashley............

Where the heck are you ?!??!?!?

we miss you!

geetey
10-14-2004, 09:05 AM
AMEN, Mary Liz, about moving boxes being cross training! We still have stuff we are moving out of boxes, and boxes we are shifting around. It's strength training! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/sprite10.gif Be careful! Be sure to bend your knees.

Debbie, what kind of gel packs to you like? I am a little afraid to try them! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/icon2.gif

Karen, are you kidding me?!?! There are SNICKERS protein bars??? Woo hoo! I will have to try those next! :hyper:

Question for the group..... what do you do when it is http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/sky11.gif outside and you need to walk your long walk? Wait for clearer skies or jump on the treadmill? I only have 1 pair of tennis shoes so I can't rotate pairs.

I like this quote from John "The http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/pinguin2.gif " Bingham... Someone in worse shape than you is already training. For some reason that makes me feel better about myself today. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/shrug.gif

Onward Walking WISHers!! :cheer2:

ohMom
10-14-2004, 09:32 AM
got up early this a.m. and did my 30 mins powerwalk, including the warmup/cooldown and stride drills I think I just over 2.5 miles, in 50 mins total.

karen -- i guess i didn't assume we'd have food stops during the 1/2 -- i plan on getting some powergel soon to try; i notice during my long walks, 7 miles or so, that I need a pick me up already. I usually do those first thing in the morning w/o eating yet. I read too in the MFM book he mentions Clif bars, wonder if he just likes those or is there a nutritional/energy benefit to those over say Zone or Kashi bars?

geetey -- in the past if it's rained on my long walk i'd just postpone it. not an option now though. i don't know that i can do 2 hours on a TM; i'd go crazy. i'd probably either postpone a few hours or one day max. I will walk in a light rain

thanks for the boost of inspiration by everyone getting onboard with my positive thinking!!! i thought of our group this morning when my alarm went off!:teeth:

maryliz
10-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Geetey ... I'll check the ones I have at home. They are called "PowerGel" and are made by the same company that makes the brand name "PowerBar". It's kind of like sucking chocolate (or vanilla) icing out of a little tube. Tried them the first time on Monday. I did the chocolate, and I'm not a huge fan of chocolate icing, but I did find that I enjoyed them, and they gave me the boost I needed. Debbie says she notices a difference in her stride a few minutes after consuming one, and she doesn't think it's just a mental thing. We also tried "swedish berries" and red licorice. The Halloween sizes have the right amount of calories and carbs. I don't think I really noticed a difference. I've taken my "protein bars" on my long walks before and won't do it again ... they really can slow you down.

I buy my powergels at a local running store. They are about $2 each.

As for the rain, I will postpone if possible. I remember earlier this year out for my 4 mile brisk and 45 minutes into it, it started freezing rain. I was being totally pelted with ice :eek: I was gonna go home at that point, but I made up my mind that I set out to do a 4-mile hour, and I wasn't going to quit. That being said, if it's doing it before I start my walk, no way am I doing that again! But based on the 5-day forecast, I'll be doing a lot of rain-walking over the next week.

Mary-Liz

karebear1
10-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Ohhhhhhhh....
Ice pelting ?!?!!?!?

That'll get you moving under that 16 minute mile we need to be walking! Now that's a good strategyfor me- I'll ahve to remember that!
:teeth:

karebear1
10-14-2004, 12:25 PM
After reading all the posts this morning I could hardly wait to go out and walk- so..... I got my 2 miles in for the day. I really need to work on cross training now. I think I'll ask my trainer about it.

thanks to all of you for your dose of inspiration today!

geetey
10-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Question #1: Should I keep 'clogging' up the training thread with questions or should I start a new thread on WISH with marathon questions?

Question #2 (and the cause of question #1): What do you do with your wet shoes?

Ice pelting ?!?!!?!?:scared1: Mary Liz, you are one determined woman! I am used to the warm temps of TN and still don't have a coat! I think I would be running home! :blush:

I know it may seem silly that I am so concerned about the wet conditions, but stability is a concern with MS. I don't want to slip and fall because of a wet surface or wet shoes. I do have my specialist's approval (she says I am high functioning! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/gloatgrin.gif ) - I am just trying to be extra careful when I can. ::yes::

Auntmeme
10-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone:wave2:

I love reading these posts - you all inspire me:earseek: And a big amen to Molli!

Congrats on training successes! I have yet to walk in the rain and won't if I can help it. I don't mind the tm as long as I have really good music to keep me motivated. I'm pleased to report I did 4.3 today on the tm since we have rain and looks like we will have rain for awhile:( My wish walk buddy had cancelled for tomorrow due to the forecast, I guess I'll have to hit the tm again. I need to get a long one in.

Karen check your pms. Is there any info on GG?

Hi Beth - glad to see you hanging in - did you get in that walk?

I was reading a review on the marathon and he stated that the buses have longggg waits as do the porta johns. He mentioned a bragathon but did not explain anyone know? where can I get more info on the marathon?

karebear1
10-14-2004, 03:57 PM
eMe- can you please post where you read that review of the marathon??? Thanks

I sent you a PM. No GG on the horizon. Sorry! I feel bad that we aren't getting together you guys. Isn't there something we can do?

Also- to everyone----
I was at Walmart today nad they have those Snicker marathon bars I was telling you about for .96- they're yummy- Go and get 'em!

geetey
10-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Sorry but I just had to share this quote that I found when reading about Christopher Reeve. He had this posted in his exercise room.... "For everyone who thought I couldn’t do it. For everyone who thought I shouldn’t do it. For everyone who said, ‘It’s impossible.’ See you at the finish line!"

I don't have any naysayers around me, but I am inspired by the quote!

Debbie
10-14-2004, 06:20 PM
For everyone who thought I couldn’t do it. For everyone who thought I shouldn’t do it. For everyone who said, ‘It’s impossible.’ See you at the finish line!::yes::

I like that!!!

Terry, Mary Liz has described the PowerGels quite well. I was a little leery of trying them, but am I ever glad that I did. They're a bit expensive at $2 a piece, since you should be snacking every 30-45 minutes on a long walk/run. I've had chocolate, tropical fruit and vanilla, and I like them all well enough. The candy didn't really do a thing for me, while the gel does. I'm going to try baby carrots on my next long one.

I came home tonight, snapped on my INSPIRE bracelet, zapped some leftover yams, gobbled them down and headed out. I wanted to get my walk done before dark, since I was choosing my "on the road" route. I did 50 minutes, including cool-down and stretches. About 3 miles, I'd say, so the time was okay.

I don't have a treadmill anymore, so I'll probably walk in the rain if it is not too bad.

I think my body is preparing for winter and wanting to pack on a few pounds. THAT'S my problem!!! I've been wondering why the old bod has been doing what it is doing. ;)

We're doing fine, people! We ARE lacing up, putting one foot in front of the other and we ARE out the door!

Remember: Slow and steady wins the race. . . .and the Donald medal.

karebear1
10-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Is anyone interested in a Wishes Cruise for Monday Evening- the 10th of January. It leaves the GF about 30 mins. before the fireworks go off. Cost is will be at least 12.00. The cruise holds 10 adults and 2 kids inder 9 (pregnancies included in that count). This is just a fireworks cruise- no pirates SORRY!

If anyone is interested let me know- I have it reserved. All spots are open.

mishoe01
10-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Please put Colette & I on this!

Thanks!

karebear1
10-14-2004, 06:39 PM
2 primo adult spots for the WISHES Cruise on January 10th are spoken for! Anyone else?

geetey
10-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi Debbie!! :wave2:
Thanks for the scoop on the PowerGels. I found some info about them on the web. I shall check at Fleet Feet and try some different flavors.

Karen, sorry but we are planning on flying back to STL on Monday so we won't be around for the WISHers ;) cruise. Sounds like fun though!!

Tiger Lily 03
10-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Karen, I'll check with DH about that cruise and let ya know soon.

The ONLY reason I went out today after work is because of you guys! I brought my stuff and went to change and the folks where I work thought I was crazy.
:crazy: Well, maybe I am! I am so glad I went. It wasn't as cold as everyone thought and I actually worked up a nice drippy glow. :eek: I managed to keep moving for 1 hour and 40 minutes and my feet only started to let me know they were done at the very end. I think I am making great progress!

As you know, I am not working with anyone as all my friends think I should be committed for walking. I still haven't told them about January. I have just told my folks here at home. DH and brother were the only ones to know at first. Now Mom and 2 DSs have heard. (They may think I am crazy, but they don't dare to say. :p )

Thank you everyone for being here.

...going off to be further inspired. I have Bingham's Marathon for Mortals and have just started to read it.

tw1nsmom
10-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Hi all! I've been doing pretty wll this week. I've done some shorter walks and made pretty good food choices. DH and I had a date last night. We went to see The Forgotten (freaky movie!) and went to Red Robin for dinner. I must confess that I did have a few of the fries. So yummy.

I'm planning on mall walking on rainy days, but I should walk outside a couple of times in mild rain just in case we have bad weather on marathon day. I'm going to ask today about what time the mall opens in the morning for walkers.

I posted this in last weeks thread, but I also have an extra wishes cruise available. Mine is for friday night, also leaving from the GF. I think all spots are available.

Karen, can there be more than 2 children on a cruise? Are there any children in your group?

tw1nsmom
10-15-2004, 09:08 AM
There's also a post on the theme parks/illuminations thread that is asking fo people to fill a January 7th Illuminations Cruise. They have six openings. It's under January Illuminations Cruise's.

karebear1
10-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Tw1nsmom-

for our Illuminations cruise, our boat is full- it has 10 adults and 2 kids on it. But, if you're referring to the WISHES cruise, yes, it can have more then 2 kids- I'm just saying that if there are only adults on one of these cruises it will only fit 10 adults. However, the cruise does seat 12 people, if at least 2 of them are kids.

Auntmeme
10-15-2004, 01:52 PM
So happy to report the rain has held off -still:rolleyes: it was according to the weather report due to pour & storm all day. I got out and walked with 2 friends - 3 miles:bounce: I'll plan for a really long one sunday, tomorrow is full with a wedding & baby shower:)

I want to try the gels & will also head to Walmart for the other bars - which aisle are they located Karen?

My family may be interested in a wishes cruise. I'm not sure that entails or the difference from illuminations, but I'll check them out. Who has openings?????

We are flying in Thursday & staying at CBR- does anyone want to meet on Friday at the pool?

geetey
10-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Ugh. I am so frustrated with myself! I went to walk today - BEautiful day here - but could only do 1 mile because I started having an asthma attack! ARGH! I guess I need to start doing an albuterol hit 10 minutes before heading out. It's confusing getting used to a different 'climate'.

Here's hoping I can get 2-3 miles in on the treadmill after getting the kids from school. Today is supposed to be a 3 mile day according to my training plan.

decaff38
10-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, no walking or exercise today. Busy day. My mom drove down and we went to dinner. Reallly nice. Girls are getting to bed early so they are rested tomorrow for their game. They will ride on a bus for 4+ hours , then play a full soccer game in 35 degree weather. They will then ride back on the bus 4 + hours. They should get home around 2:00 am. Hope they are celebrating a win. My DH and I are driving down and going to dinner with DS and girlfriend. Then we are going to the big game. Our friends from 40 miles south of there are coming to the game too. We will go back to their house for the night. I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I hope to run tomorrow morning before we leave. Need to get moving agian. Really not motivated right now. I know it will get better. Hope every one is working out consistantly. Have a great weekend.

PS - We did have a few snow flurries today. Winter is close.

ohMom
10-16-2004, 09:27 AM
good saturday morning friends :)

I did my long walk, distance-inspired by Susan, of 7.5 miles in 90 mins. let me tell you we were p-o-w-e-r-walking. my DN joined me and she is very fast paced. i was thrilled with our time as we do no jogging

I did manage to get a pilates DVD out yesterday and did it -- it was a crazy day here - DDs off school. tomorrow is my rest day

i'm even more glad to get that long one in before the rain came here as tonight I have a date with my DH and barry manilow :teeth:

LittleMissMickey
10-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Sorry, folks, that I've been MIA...

I would love to do one of the cruises, so let's put that up at the top. I am confused at my options, but the $12 one would be the one of choice, and preferably post marathon or Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of the week prior, if anything is offered then. Maybe Thursday of the week prior, but I am a solo that night and would maybe feel uncomfortable going with people who aren't solos? Does that make sense? I am always afraid that I will develop "Crabby girl in the back of the boat" syndrome. I do do well with kids, so a kid-friendly boat is fine that night, too. :) I'm a dork.

I didn't get to train much this week. I didn't go to bed until after one any night this week and was up by 6:15 every morning. I'm pooped! I had a grad school meeting on Thursday night that took up my training time that day. I know, excuses, excuses... But this is such a busy semester for me. I feel like this part of my life will never be over and sometimes I just want to cry! (I did on Tuesday...) Sorry... Just a little vent.

Your posts were all very inspirational, thank you! Sorry I didn't check in, though. I just was crazy all week!

Great job to everybody! I feel like I am in a book club... I love MTM so much, and now many of you are reading it, and talking about it!

I'm starting to take this Jellyrolls thing seriously. I really miss that place. Who wants to meet me there?

Hmm... What else? OH! I am thinking about creating a little gift... I have it in mind. A present for your mailbox. Do I have everybody's address on my roster? I don't think so! Please PM me your:
DISName
Name
Address
Email Address
Resort you will be staying at for Marathon Weekend
Dates of Travel
Favorite Color
Favorite Disney Character

I will send this out to all people on the roster then.

Also, are we still doing iron ons? Who is making this? I was just thinking of using the WISHCon 2005 icon that we have in our signatures and then putting our names at the top. Isn't there a way to print Iron Ons through the computer? Will tehy stick to the Dri-Fit material do you think?

Hmm.. All kinds of questions.

Now, back to homework.

Keep it up!
Ashley:wave2:

Susan--Ontario
10-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Good Saturday Evening Everyone!!

I'm up to 5 miles so far this week. I think that's pretty good because my foot is still giving me some trouble.

So, if my math is right 12 - 5 is "7":earseek: :earseek:

I guess I'm going for a very, very long walk tomorrow. I've been taping my foot with horse tape and it seems to be helping a lot. When I went for my mile and a half yesterday it only bothered me once or twice. I did go to the store today and bought 6 rolls of the horse tape. I'm going to tape it whether it hurts or not because it gives me great traction in my shoes and stops my feet from slipping.

Yesterday, my DS age 9 went to a regional track and field meet. The route he did was 2km or 1.2 miles. He finished 21st in a field of 120 kids, but he was first from his school.:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

He might have done better if he didn't get squeezed in behind a bunch of kids at the start. Imagine 120 kids spread out over 200 feet and then all running towards a 6 foot path. He made up a lot of places while running through the woods and during the last 1/2km straightaway to the finish line. We carbo loaded and rested and all the right stuff. It was very exciting for me because this was his first race. Gives me a lot of inspiration. My food choices have been less than stellar this week but after three months of cheat free days my body was just hungry. Tomorrow we shall begin a new month of cheat free days. Actually, just this month because on November 5th I'm headed "home" and I cannot wait. If any of you live along I-75 I shall be sure to wave as I pass by.:wave2:

I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow. I will stop if the feet hurt too much because I don't want to injure it again.

karebear1
10-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi AShley! I missed you while you were ever so busy- but I'm gald you came back to check in! About the cruises- the Illuminations cruised is fillled for now, but the Wishes crusie is still open. It's for Monday night- the 10th. The cost will be around $14.00/pp. The toatl cost of the boat is 120.00 plus tax. So we'll divide it by how mnay people are on the boat. We should probably add a couple more dollars as to cover the tip to the driver. This particualr boat will pick us up at GF. I'll give detailed info as to time and cost when I get the info. Cost, again, is dependent on how many people want to go.

Susan- GOOD FOR YOU for getting out there and doing so much walking! I'm very proud of you. And CONGRATS to your DS! Isn;t it just so exciting to see your kids do so well?

Mom- you WERE power walking! That is a GREAT time and distance!! We're you just pooped out at the end?

geety- don;t get too frustrated! You can only do what your body will alllow you to do! Could you have kept going if you had your puffer with you? Sometimes I remember mine.... and sometimes I forget it. BUT that is one thign I have on my list of fanny pack items to be sure I don;'t forget!

Meme- the Snickers Marathon bars were over in the first row in front of Health anmd Beauty Items- where they have thigns like SLim Fast bars , and energy bars. They were towards the bottom on the left of all the bars .

Well- I did my 3 miles yesterday and felt ok when I did them, but last night my hip was out! I think it was because last Sunday we walked down a very long, very steep hill, and then yesterday I was up and down on a ladder putting curtains up in the LR and DR. The curtains look great, but the hip was bad! This morning It feels better, so I'm hoping I can get my 7 miler in! I'll report back and let you all know how I do!

Have a good training day everyone!

mishoe01
10-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone!!

It sounds like everyone is doing wonderfully! WTG!! KEEP IT UP!

I've been sooooo bad w/ my training....I've been scared to actually start back up b/c of my knee....it's doing better, but am scared that I'll do something else to hurt it again.

I did find the 12 week program that Septbride posted, so will attempt 2 miles tomorrow, and see how that goes.

Good news (I think) regarding my house....got 2 offers on the place (1 after only 5 days on the market). Just waiting for the final signatures from the buyers. They want to close on the 29th of October, but I was able to "rent back" my place until the end of November. I'd like to be moved to Orlando (leaning towards Davenport) before Thanksgiving, but atleast this gives me a bit of a breather. I didn't find a house while I was there earlier this week, but will probably be back in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Will keep everyone informed.

Have a great Sunday, and I will post and let you know tomorrow if I got off my butt!

Tiger Lily 03
10-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Everyone is doing great!

Karen, you gave a great catch up there.

I took off yesterday. Today DH asked me to go to the gym with him. I really enjoyed that.

Keep up the good work. Be careful not to overdo things, no more injuries.

geetey
10-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey Monica! Congrats on the offers! Selling a house is soooo stressful. Good luck finding the house of your dreams quickly and painlessly. ::yes::

Wow - everyone is doing SO great in their training! I continue to inspired by all of you. :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4: I strive to be able to keep up with all of you! :teeth:

I did my walking today - 30 minutes on the treadmill, plus warmup and cooldown, per the plan. I was a little disappointed in my effort and ability to maintain pace...... until I finished and started my stretches. My typical tingling started and I realized... I didn't have any numbness or tingling while I was walking!! WOO HOOO!! THAT'S progress, for sure! :jumping1:

Karen, GREAT idea about carrying my inhaler. I never even thought to do that! My nurse suggested taking 2 puffs 10 minutes before starting. I shall definitely bring one in my fanny pack.

Speaking of fanny packs... what is everyone planning on carrying? my small list includes a camera, inhaler, energy source (gels or bars)

Today I get my injection, so tomorrow is a day of rest. See everyone Tuesday! :wave:

karebear1
10-17-2004, 03:25 PM
geetey- I have all those things on my list, but have added- gummy bears, tissues (my nose has been running when I walk for some reason), and my blister packs- JUST IN CASE!

I'm hoping for Christmas that Santa will bring me one of those little teenie DVD camcorders, that also takes pics! i wanna get this in live action! Interviews may be requested!!!

Debbie
10-17-2004, 04:52 PM
:wave2: Hi Everyone! I got off my duff this afternoon and did 5 miles in the WIND including warm-up and cool-down. It was a 17 minute mile, but with the WIND, I figure that was darn good. Did I mention the WIND?

My first thought is fanny pack with gels, water (I know, I know, but I need it when I need it-not just when they give it ;) ) tissues, I heard a disposable camera would be the camera of choice, sunglasses, and maybe extra moleskin(?).

Good news on the house, Monica! That is SO exciting. Mary Liz moves this week, and I am certain that adrenalin is a-flowin'.

Terry, you can do this! Inhaler before you begin, and then on hand in case you need it later.... when we're running from the S-Truck. :crazy:

Lily, you are crosstraining....and with DH. That's super!

Karen, what I'd like Santa to bring me is travel from the airport to WL. lol

Susan, congrats on Simon's race. He'll be doing the half by the time he is 14.

Ashley :grouphug: life can be stressful, hun. Know that we're here for you!

Mollie....how did you and Barry get along? ;)

Beckie....you said the F Word! :earseek:

MaryEllen, you are keeping up, despite a busy weekend. I tend to slide when I can. :rolleyes:

Dawn, I think that you are right. We should probably make sure that we do some walking in the rain...just in case. MY fingers are crossed that it is warm and sunny-once the sun comes up- that day.

I'm reading Marathoning for Mortals, too. It is an easy read with some good advice. I wish that I had had it earlier on. My favourite quote so far: Rest days are rest days. Can you tell that I am not a NATURAL born athletic type of person? LOL

Have a good week, everyone. Now that I've posted, I'm betting that this is over. I always seem to be the last one in!

geetey
10-17-2004, 05:02 PM
LOL, Debbie!! Like I could let you be the last poster after a challenge like that.

I had to go back and check Beckie's post for the *f* word. Yep - I found it. F*L*U*R*R*I*E*S :eek: I hope the DIS doesn't remove it, because it is truly one of the nastiest words around. ;) :p http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/freezing.gif

Anyone have any tips for sore calves? My calves cramp up SO badly when I walk! OUCH!! I do lots of stretching, and warm up slowly. These things are killing me! I guess it might be time to get some new shoes. :confused:

****edited to add: I hit 1000 posts! :earseek: I am glad it was on the WISH boards on a marathon thread! :hyper:

Susan--Ontario
10-17-2004, 05:24 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWW!!!!

I did it. Not all at once, but I did it. One mile on the treadmill, one mile with WATP and 5 miles out on the road in very WINDY conditions. It was a bit nippy as well. I think the temperature was about 38 degrees without the wind. So likely more like freezing with the windchill. I didn't really notice the cold because I had my hood up and my gloves on but when I did my cool down at the end, I really did cool down fast. It was freezing.

The good news is that my foot only hurts a little bit. Now to get back in the groove and get my time improved.

I hope everyone had a great weekend and we'll see you on the new thread tomorrow!!!

decaff38
10-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Well , my soccer season has come to a close. the girls lost on Sat. night(32 degrees and windy) 4-1. My older daughter made the only goal but the younger one was moved up to the Varsity because some of the players were kicked off for drinking. The younger one played about half of the game and almost scored a goal too. They were pretty disappointed but are happy to be done too. Today they layed around in sweats all day. Slept til 1:00.
Of course I didn;t get my run in Sat. before we left but I really need to get back on track because I have a 10K on Nov. 7th.

I want to sincerely apologize to all who were offended by the F word. I really meant The Fluffies. We do get those here. It was only that one day. It is all gone and not in the forcast for at least another week.

Susan - good for you 38 degrees 11 I feel your pain. I live 100 miles from the coldest spot in the nation (very often).

Geetey - I'll try not to use the F or the S word . I 'll need to get creative with my wording. I know it is hard to understand but, I really like winter!As for the cramping , I take a magnisiym and potasseum tablet and increase your dairy. I used to get them but don't anymore.

Hope everyone is better than I have been in the past week. I am going to get going this week. I feel so much better when I work out or run.

Have a great week!!

Debbie
10-18-2004, 06:43 AM
Awwww Beckie! I'm not offended by the F-word, I'm just dreading that season that threatens to hit us soon. So I'm in the state of Denial, I guess. :( I don't know, but as I get older, the less I enjoy the winter. It could be all the outdoor yard duty that I have to do. Brrr. I'm shivering just thinking about it! My kids love winter, too, and I'd say if you live in MN, you'd BETTER like it, right? Enjoy the peace of soccer being over. Hugs to your girls for a job well done! They deserve a break, now, and so do you.
Now, I AM the last on this thread! :tongue: