PDA

View Full Version : curves $$$$

Blueeyes101817
10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
hi! i posted this before, but im definitely going to go check out curves tomorrow...i was wondering if anyone can tell me how much a month it is...and if there are any type of student discounts or anything..

also, im looking to lose 10-20 lbs..especially stomach fat..do u think this is a good idea? thanks

birdiesunshine
10-07-2004, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure about Curves, but I would go to Contours Express over Curves as Curves is only hydraulic resistance training and Contours Express is Strength training with actual weight bearing machines. I'm sure both gyms are equal in price but Contours is a far better workout. Good luck!

Blueeyes101817
10-07-2004, 08:48 PM
thanks..ive never heard of that before....how can ifind out if there are any around me?

mrsschlep
10-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Hi I have been a curves member for 3 months now and I love it!!!
It is $29 a month and you can work out as many days as you want (except Sundays when they are closed). The only thing that I am concerned about is that I will become bored with it. But so far I have made friends with all of the people that work there. They are sooo.. nice(like the people on these boards) and are very nonjudgemental. Definately check it out and see if it's for you or not. From what I understand, you either love it or you hate it. One of the reasons that I like it is because it gives me time that I never put aside for myself otherwise and I get to interact with other adults!:teeth:Being a stay-at-home mom that is very important to me. It is a big stress reliever for me also. Well good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

birdiesunshine
10-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Blueeyes101817
thanks..ive never heard of that before....how can ifind out if there are any around me?

go to www.contoursexpress.com and you can do zip code search. I hope there is one near you.

Blueeyes101817
10-07-2004, 09:14 PM
thanks so much....i looked up contour express and it says coming soonabout 20 minutes away from me..
can u do curves on a month to month basis. .or is there a contract? thanks! sorry for so many question

birdiesunshine
10-07-2004, 09:21 PM
I don't know anything about Curves and their contract, but I think you should hold out for Contours to open. Weights as opposed to hydraulics is a huge difference for your workout.

Blueeyes101817
10-07-2004, 09:28 PM
maybe i can call them somewhere and see when coming soon really means...i really need to do something and get this weight coming off..i have a trip in january! :Pinkbounc

wtpclc
10-08-2004, 07:15 AM
I love my Curves!!! Hydraulic resistance is still strength training. Plus you can make it as hard or as easy as you want, depending on where you're starting at. Last plus, you don't have to monkey around setting the weights. You just hop on and go!

You can do Cruves month to month, although there are some more perks if you do a year contract.

birdiesunshine
10-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Hydraulic is not strength training it is resistance training. Contours gives you 45 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds to change the weights. To each his own, but weight bearing machines are doctor recommended. Good luck in whatever you decide on!! Getting on any exercise program is a great start.

wtpclc
10-08-2004, 12:01 PM
From the Physicial and Sportsmedicine Journal:

Strength training uses resistance methods to increase one's ability to exert or resist force. Free weights, the individual's own body weight, machines, or other devices (eg, elastic bands, medicine balls) provide resistance.

Your body does not know what's on the other end, only that it has to work hard at the motion.

You will have your own personal preferences. The key is that you do the work out! Good luck whichever way you decide and let us know how it goes!

birdiesunshine
10-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by wtpclc
From the Physicial and Sportsmedicine Journal:

Strength training uses resistance methods to increase one's ability to exert or resist force. Free weights, the individual's own body weight, machines, or other devices (eg, elastic bands, medicine balls) provide resistance.

Your body does not know what's on the other end, only that it has to work hard at the motion.

You will have your own personal preferences. The key is that you do the work out! Good luck whichever way you decide and let us know how it goes!

Let's put it this way, hydraulics use positive to positive meaning you are only working the muscle group "one" way. Weights use a positive and negative meaning you are working the muscle on the way up and on the way down. I've never known anyone to get "stronger" by lifting their own body weight. Toned, yes, but stronger no. Just through my experience. Like I said before, to each his own!!!!

wtpclc
10-08-2004, 03:09 PM
My machines most definitely work both ways. I would recommend that an interested party go check it out and see for themeselves.

I would imagine that Countours Express owners have to have a selling point, so they harp on that.

Blueeyes - I'm sorry that this thread has caused such a debate. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone put down Curves equipment. I do recommend that you go there and see for yourself whether or not you can feel it both ways. Usually, the downward resistance is accomplished by pushing harder and faster on the way down. The harder and faster that you push, the more that the hydraulics resist and the harder you work.

Good luck with whatever works best for you!

Blueeyes101817
10-08-2004, 03:28 PM
thanks guys for all your help
carrie- i really didnt mean to cause a debate!
i just got back from checking out curves..its 30 seconds from my house so i couldnt make excuses anymore ;)
I went and they are all sooo friendly..and i think i may join for 3 months (since its the student thing..3 months for 99 dollars i believe)..then see if i see any changes then...
thanks again to everyone!

wtpclc
10-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Cool! I didn't know they had a student plan. SOunds pretty convenient! I know I need to have it right on my way home, or the lazy little devil on my shoulder gets the best of me! Have fun!

birdiesunshine
10-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by wtpclc

I would imagine that Countours Express owners have to have a selling point, so they harp on that.
:rolleyes:

minniecarousel
10-08-2004, 07:13 PM
That's a good deal - don't think you can go wrong at that price!

Curves is a good work-out. You decide how many reps to do at each piece of equipment. Good luck!

Blueeyes101817
10-09-2004, 11:05 PM
thanks! im going to go sign up on tuesday...do u know if i can start working out that day? sorry about all of the questions!!

minniecarousel
10-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Jen - you usually need to make an appointment for your first work-out so that they can show you exactly how to use each piece of equipment. So - if they aren't busy when you walk in to sign up, they can show you then. Your best bet is to call & make an appt to sign up and let them know you want your first work-out then too - so that they can schedule enough time for you. (be sure to wear work-out clothes and shoes ;) )

Good luck!

Blueeyes101817
10-11-2004, 04:38 PM
julie--well i just got home from curves (of course i didnt check this first so i just walked in haha) But i went and signed up...got measured, and did my first workout..there was someone my age working there so she worked out for me while explaining how to properly use the machines..im going again tomorrow, but os far i like it! thanks again

Mermaid02
10-12-2004, 06:12 AM
My dd and I are thinking about joining curves (again- ducking head in shame) but I remember there being a LARGE fee initially then $30 or $35 a month. Can someone jog my memory? How much is the initial fee??

Blueeyes101817
10-12-2004, 06:54 AM
well i did the student--3 months for 99 bucks..didnt have to pay the membership fee..
but if you are , i know mine has ways so you wont have to pay the fee--this month it is if you have had a mammogram in the last year.....(they told me if i signed up for regular membership, they would waive my fee, since im not old enough for mammogram, they said if i had been to the gyno in the last year)...so just see if there is any way to waive it!

wtpclc
10-12-2004, 08:22 AM
I think the upfront fee is ~$150. They often run 2 for 1 or half off specials on that, though. ALso, I think my friend added her dd for like $10 a month.

Blueeyes101817
10-12-2004, 10:57 AM
i know wher i go, the membership fee is 79 :)