PDA

View Full Version : Desperate!: Fall Craft for 10 year olds!

firstmickey
10-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Hi all......

anyone have a somewhat simple fall type craft for 10 year old girl scouts (5th grade)?

I have been the leader for several years and I am just out of ideas. I need something that does not need a lot of prep and I prefer NOT to paint if possible....lol. although a little painting like for eyes, etc is ok....just dont want to take a lot of time with base coating.

some things we have already done: painted pumpkins, halloween windsocks, scarecrows, and we made caramel apples once.

the girls are getting kind of old for the fun foam stuff. Plus we have done a lot of bead things also. (we have also made cards and scrapbooked before)

See why I am having such difficulty? :crazy:

Thanks in advance! :teeth:

mommytotwo
10-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Snacks-You could get Halloween molds and have them make rice crispy treats and then decorate them with chocolate chip, sprinkles... or decorate Halloween cookies.

Crafts-Have them make bird houses or feeders-it could also be for the squirrels.

Have them make windchimes using materials that you have around and have them add in fall colored yarns and such.

Mamu
10-04-2004, 09:55 PM
I just finished painting small clay pots with acrylic paint. White, orange and yellow too look like pumpkin teeth. Filled them with dried moss. Added some fall foliage and orange berries.

Very easy to do.

firstmickey
10-05-2004, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the great ideas!
I really appreciate them!::yes:: :teeth:

jennz
10-05-2004, 08:57 AM
I just saw one I liked in Martha Stewart...get some gourds or small pumpkins and paint or sponge craft glue (could probably use elmer's too and wipe it all over) then sprinkle with craft glitter (I probably don't have the right name for that, the shimmery kind that's smaller than regular glitter). They look really pretty!

babylisa4
10-05-2004, 02:47 PM
I used to teach 4th grade Sunday School and I had gotten to depend on Oriental Trading company some for a little more sophistacated crafts that you could actually sort of use. They have a whole crafts catalog and you can buy kits that aren't way too much. Usually comes twelve to a package. I usually got the religious ones but definitely the girls liked to do these. The boys didn't like them as much- some were a little too tedious for them. But you ended up with a pretty product- not just junk. I'm thinking they probably have a website. Specifically get on the mailing list for the Oriental Trading Company CRAFTS catalog.

firstmickey
10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
I do get Oriental trading magazine ...thanks!
(I just dont have time to order before tomorrow...LOL!) :teeth:

ooohhh, I like the glittery gourds idea! Easy...not too too messy and they would have fun with that! I might have to do that.
It would be easier than baking! :teeth:

thanks for all the great ideas! :wave:

wtpclc
10-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Donna - Disney has a newsletter called Family fun. It has craft ideas each week. If you're interested, PM me with your e-mail. I'll forward you a copy and you can sign up from there if you want.

firstmickey
10-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Carrie!
I already get it and the magazine in the mail! :teeth: