PDA

View Full Version : I have 500 points, and that is just right!

tvwalsh
09-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Like the news, change and discontent are much bigger stories than inaction and content.

I have often wondered how many members there are like me who have gotten the number of points they want with the yearly fees they are comfortable paying.

Like a proud parent talking about his children, I would not take big dollars for any of the points I have, nor would I pay anything much for more.

For those of you who are happy with the number of points you have, how many is that? Why is that all you want? What do you do with them? How big of a problem are the yearly fees? Any other comments?

SuzieQMomof3
09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
We just bought in this year with 175 points and I already realize that this is not enough. I think we'll slowly add more and more until we get to about 300.

donald...really
09-15-2004, 10:16 AM
We have 500 total, 250 at OKW and 250 at VB. For us this is perfect. We also own at the Westin St. John through Starwood. This might have tipped us over the edge as far as too many vacations in a year, but we fell in love with St. John and just couldn't resist.

Montana Disney Fan
09-15-2004, 10:26 AM
We've got 250 and are perfectly happy with it. We have no plans to increase.

joepoe
09-15-2004, 10:54 AM
If our 502 points is enough, then how come we are paying $255 a night to stay in a 1BR at OKW this weekend? The more points you have, the greater the DVC habit!

jel0511
09-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by donald...really
We have 500 total, 250 at OKW and 250 at VB. For us this is perfect. We also own at the Westin St. John through Starwood. This might have tipped us over the edge as far as too many vacations in a year, but we fell in love with St. John and just couldn't resist. We have 425 points and hopefully it's enough, but I see an other add-on. Donald, I have to agree with you about St. John, it's an AWESOME place!!! We don't own a timeshare on St. John but are considering Virgin Grand Estates. We always stay in a private villa during our St. John vacations, and Virgin Grand Estates is just that, a timeshare, but with private homes!!! I can't wait to get back to St. John!!!

kweaver
09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
We have 200...and that's enough for us. I know this may seem sacreligious...but one Sun-Fri trip to Disney per year (and an occasional trip to Vero or HH) is enough for me.

We're going to VB in April...and haven't stayed at HH yet (visited, though). Maybe we'll change our minds if we fall in love with one of them and want more home resort points there. I prefer the gulf beaches, though (and DH grew up in Mobile)...so I kind of doubt it.

If we had more chances to take trips during off season times (not summer, spring break and x-mas), I might consider more points.

We like to travel elsewhere...and would consider another timeshare for trading purposes.

KNWVIKING
09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I don't recall my total number of points because I made some odd numbered add-ons at VWL and BCV (OKW was my original purchase) but I have enough to allow me 7 nites each at all three each year : May at OKW, Oct at BCV & VWL in Dec. plus enough left over to give a week to my kids every other year.

Right now I have no interest in adding on anywhere ( even if they had a monorail resort) and wasn't even tempted in the least by the SSR & AP offer.

darner
09-15-2004, 12:13 PM
150 pts. at BWV has been an appropriate amount for us for the past 5 years... sure it'd be nice to have about 200, but it's not worth with the extra cost associated with it...

since 150 has allowed us to go to WDW about every other year with good banking / borrowing activity as well as other trips in between (we've done DL on pts 2x and a CC stay).

Also, the lower points amount has allowed us to do totally non-DVC pt. vacations w/o feeling like we HAVE TO do Disney...

GrammieMame
09-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I started out with 150 and the intention to take my grandchildren every 3 years in a 2 BR. What a joke! I'm now the proud owner of 300 WLV and 150 BCV and am still always in a state of borrowing from next year. But no more; can't afford the dues.

goofy4dvc
09-15-2004, 02:06 PM
We have 350. Original purchase of 150, add on of 100, and another add on of 100.

We are satisfied with 350 points and don't see adding on more.

We are able to use studios when it's just DH and me or 2BR when we take family.

If we decide we need additional time after we retire, we will probably purchase a home somewhere or another timeshare other than DVC. We are very happy with the 350 DVC points, but would probably prefer to spend any additional time somewhere else.

Beca
09-15-2004, 02:10 PM
In ROFR right now, and REALLY hoping to pass. That would give us 210 BWV, and 200 VWL....and, that is definitely it!!!! (at least, for now ;)). We have kind of reached the limit on how much time we can take off from work. Plus, we are in Phx, so getting to WDW takes a big effort (I LOVE SWA!!!). We have enough points to take "family" trips to WDW every year, and hopefully with the VWL points, we will be able to take my parents every other year and stay in VWL over Christmas...and make some magical memories for my dd.

I'm SURE we will want to add-on later, and who knows...maybe we will. But, I am actually in the process of transferring 205 points into someone else's account because we cannot get away to use them this year!!! DH and I have taken TWO vacations in 12 years (both to Disney :p ). My point in buying DVC was to force us to slow down and make great childhood memories for our dd...and, here I am renting my points!!! Grrrrrrr!!!! It makes me crazy!!! Anyway...when the $1600.00 annual fee hits...that may put an end to my "add-on-itis"!!

But seriously...I am thrilled with what we have (hopefully have!!), and feel that we have enough, and are very blessed!!!

:wave:

Beca

Lesley
09-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I think our 200 points was just about right when we lived in PA....but now that we live in SC we seem to need more. This past year we've borrowed more than half of next years' points already. Right now we have what we can manage financially though.

It's in the plans to acquire more points eventually...but plans change and we're pleased to have what we do have.

jarestel
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
We were in a bit of a different situation. We had about 600 points and found there weren't enough vacation weeks in the year to take advantage of them, and were "splurging" on accomodations we really didn't need just to use them up. Bottom line is we sold off a portion and now find we have a more "realistic" number of points that we can actually use to better advantage and for less in annual dues.

kenzie
09-15-2004, 08:32 PM
we just purchased 150 ssr from dvc, also waiting for rofr on 210 at ssr. We also own pres week at harborside at atlantis,also westin mission hills in rancho mirage ca. also hilton las vegas strip. But hope to retire in 2 yrs. Hope to have enough weeks by then. Having fun spending kids inheritance

jel0511
09-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Having fun spending kids inheritance :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

OneMoreTry
09-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by joepoe
If our 502 points is enough, then how come we are paying $255 a night to stay in a 1BR at OKW this weekend?

Even if we have enough points I'm always tempted to pay cash on weekends -- it just seems like a waste of points when weekend nights COST the same but are twice as many points!!!

MOMO2DK
09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
We have 230 OKW and 230 SSR
This should give us enough for a 2 bedroom at least once a year.
It also gives us 2 equal contracts for each of our 2 children to inherit.

db78
09-15-2004, 09:53 PM
We just purchased 175 points last year at SSR. Might add on 25 - 50 down the road, but not any more than that. Don't want to pay that much in dues every year. Besides, with just the 3 of us most times, a studio suits us fine. We stayed 12 days this summer at BCV in a studio and it was great.

Lou Rindner
09-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I bought 170 pts at SSR. Then within a few months bought another 30. I thought about resales but SSR is 51 years although at 44 yrs of age traveling at 95 I bet is not reaslistic. SMILE. Now I go to SSR for the first time with the family. So I have 200 and now need more. So I go ahead and buy 70 more. Now have 270 at the SSR. I think this is fine for the family but I thought that way last year and now added 100 points since the orginal purchase. SSR is great.

travelbug
09-16-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm content with the 375 points I own (250 BWV and 125 BCV). Not even tempted to add on more points. :eek: I've spent all I care to spend buying points, and higher dues would not be welcome either.

I've been able to use the points for different length trips (usually 5-8 nights) a couple times a year in anything from a studio to a 2 BR. That's just the right scenario, since I also like to travel other places.

Now, if someone GAVE me more points, I doubt I'd turn them down!! I'm sure I'd find the money for the dues somewhere... ;) In the meantime, I'm feeling fortunate to have the points I have. :D

Laurabearz
09-16-2004, 10:46 AM
We have enough points to cover our trips.... 2 family trips to WDW(1 2 bed, 1 stuido), 1 girls trip to WDW (1bed), 1 family trip to HHI(1 2bed), 1 golfing trip for my DH and his buddies(2bed, studio)

We are in a constant state of borrowing, even with 1000 points, so I guess we could use more, but the MF are holding us back. AND once our kids are older, we wont be bringing friends along to help us, and will prolly sell a contract or two. (ha)

lovesdisney44
09-16-2004, 12:27 PM
We started with 250 OKW and added resale of another 100 at OKW. We added another 100 because we were always taking somebody with us for a week, thereby needing a 2 BR.

I agree that weekends are so expensive points wise. We've discovered, (talking to other-more experiened DVC'rs on the buses to the parks) that if you stay on-site Sun-Thurs nights and check out and do something else in the area (Universal, Sea World, etc.) for Friday/Saturday nights, you get a lot more usage of your points. My family doesn't mind switching for the weekend, because it usually means a longer vacations at Disney!

This summer we plan on staying in a 2BR at the BCV Sun/Thurs and then pay cash at AKL Concierge to do the Sunrise Safari. We'll then check in again on Sunday in a studio at SSR with Friday checkout. This doesn't quite use up our points!:Pinkbounc

I am thinking about adding on another 50 points, though to make it an even 400. Not sure DH will go for it though.;)

living la vida mickey
09-16-2004, 05:28 PM
We've had 190 since 1993 and it's been perfect for us.

micki7337
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
We have 232 points which works out to be a great vacation - ever other year. We'll probably look to do an add on once our little one is out of daycare.

The 232 was an odd amount. That gave us a 2-br at OKW in value season every year and it worked out that the monthly payment/mfs equalled the child support we receive from DH's ex. We may not need the money to support her children but she can pay for our vacations for the next 41 years!

::yes::

DiznEeyore
09-16-2004, 10:01 PM
We have 225 at VWL and 85 at BWV. Dh *swears* the only way we'll add on is if the forever-rumored Contemporary DVC ever really happens. ;)

Deb & Bill
09-16-2004, 11:33 PM
We also have 500 points.

300 at OKW, 100 at VWL and 100 at BCV. They are enough to go twice a year for about a week. Just perfect for us and I doubt we will purchase any more.

rsschneck
09-17-2004, 10:25 AM
We purchased an OKW resale 2 years ago with 300 points. Less than a year later we added on @ SSR 100 points.

The OKW points were $66 per point including fees (I believe).
The SSR points were $79 per point.

The points are becoming too expensive for our blood and I believe the 400 will suit us just fine!

There are only 3 of us, but the studio just seems too small! We usually book 1-2 bedroom accomidations and have been getting about 2-3 vacation weeks per year.

patsal
09-17-2004, 10:34 AM
With the price of points skyrocketing I'm thinking I have as many points as I am comfortable owning. IF the right resale came along though I would consider purchasing 110 more points. Currently we have 210 WLV and 100 BCV so 310 total. 110 or so at OKW would be fabulous and allow me to do all I desire every year. Right now with 2 kids the 2BR would be great for the entire vacation, but in a few years when they are grown I don't think I'll need that kind of space.

belle3
09-17-2004, 11:57 AM
We are at 550 and I guess holding....2 original contracts at SSR with 150 points each, and a recent resale at my true love of BCV for 250 points. We will sell one of the 150 point contracts at SSR once the prices stabilize at bit (don't want to take a loss!), so until then, we just have to "manage" with the 550 points, ah well, it could be worse ;) but eventually, 400 would be just about right!

tvwalsh
09-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I started this thread saying that I was satisfied with my 500 points and didn't want a single point more. I have since bought 50 more OKW points so we could stay longer in our grand villa in January, 2007. That purchase gave us 150 more points that could be used for the eleven month window. :rolleyes1

Laurabearz
09-16-2006, 12:33 AM
:rotfl2:

We still ahve the same about of points as we did 2 years ago!

Cruelladeville
09-16-2006, 06:00 AM
I have 916 points, I think, and that has always been about right, since we always vacationed at Easter, Christmas, and 4th of July. Now that I retired, I can travel whenever I want to, so I am selling 150 pts to my DD. That should bring us down to a more managable amount. We also have 3 Marriott contracts now, so we can have lots of nice vacations. No vacation houses in Florida for us--we are keeping our stuff portable, just in case Florida has hurricanes. :rotfl:

Tamar
09-16-2006, 09:43 AM
We were in much better shape before we discovered how much we liked the one bedrooms over the studios. We have 500 points, and I think that's enough, BUT...our recent purchases (200 BWV and 150 OKW) both had a full year of banked points when we got them. So, we actually had an overload of points for about a year...although not as many as I thought we would!! The next couple years will be telling.

If a new, well placed DVC location is announced, we might sell our 150 HH points and pick up a 200 pt contract. Then we'd be set (I think). :woohoo:

paults
09-16-2006, 11:42 AM
we have 250 at BWV but would like at least 100/150 more and then stop.

Muushka
09-16-2006, 12:13 PM
We have 225 at VWL. We are very happy with that number and have no desire to add on. It is just the 2 of us. And we have been able to book larger villas to accomodate guests so that they would all have a bed.

We pretty much always stay in a 1 br and we usually do not stay on the weekend. We are the rare ones that actually enjoy moving to another resort.

Lora
09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
We have 310. We started with 150 and did two add-ons for 75 and 85 points at BWV. That work for us because we only need a 2BR if we have company (family of 4) and we're able to go any time of year we want since we homeschool. We usually stay for about 10-14 nights in a 1BR - sometimes staying on the weekend and sometimes traveling elsewhere. We do also use our points occasionally for relatives for a few nights. I've never had to borrow points - I usually bank anywhere from a few points to about 40 points each year.

We're pretty happy with where we are point-wise. I'm pretty sure this is it for us for a long time.

cruisinpan55
09-16-2006, 02:25 PM
150 pts. at BWV has been an appropriate amount for us for the past 5 years... sure it'd be nice to have about 200, but it's not worth with the extra cost associated with it...

since 150 has allowed us to go to WDW about every other year with good banking / borrowing activity as well as other trips in between (we've done DL on pts 2x and a CC stay).

Also, the lower points amount has allowed us to do totally non-DVC pt. vacations w/o feeling like we HAVE TO do Disney...
I agree, we also have 150 points and have been doing very well with them. We get our Disney fix once a year and have learned how to move points around to make the most of our trips. With a 4 and 7 year old we will have to stay 150 points for a little while. There are 14 people going to WVL in Nov./Dec. for a big family trip. It's how you use your points that counts. ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo :earsgirl: :earsboy:

corpcomp
09-16-2006, 03:28 PM
We have 210 points at BCV but since this our first year I'm not really sure it is just right or not enough. We cannot spend a full week there as we see my elderly mother who really wants to see her grandchild (forget the rest of us) for a few days and would really lay on the guilt (I don't know how much longer I'm going to live, etc...) if we ever took a vacation in Florida without spending part of it with her in her condo.

Pluto,
09-16-2006, 06:57 PM
i have 455 points
150 at bwv
305 at ssr in 2 contracts

its enough for now, when i pay my house off in 4 years i might add on one more time.

MinnieGi
09-16-2006, 11:00 PM
We have 210 BSV points but it is not enough! We are looking to add on 200 - 300 more.

OneMoreTry
09-16-2006, 11:46 PM
We have the right #. Too few for me. Too many for DW. So we're both discontent equally. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

mom2rb
09-17-2006, 10:39 AM
We have 420. Too many for now because the boys still sleep in the same bed. It will be good when they want their own beds and we need a two bed room. So for now we rent to friends to help pay the dues. The only way we're buying more points is if they open a Contemporary or Animal Kingdom DVC.

poolgirl
09-17-2006, 02:29 PM
We started with 350 at BCV but that just wasn't enough. Once we started staying in a 1BR the studio was quickly becoming a day of the past. So then we bought 200 pts at WLV ( we figured that we would be well connected to EPCOT for the food and wine festival and MGM with our BCV pts and well connected to MK with our WVL pts). Then we started taking family members and doing a 2BR once a year. SO guess what - we are now in the process of purchasing 150 more at WLV. DH and I both regret that we didn't purchase 15 years ago when we honey mooned in Disney - We should have bought then at OKW. We both joke that wouldn't it be cool to spend 4-6 weeks in DW when we retire.

Olaf
09-18-2006, 07:46 AM
We only have 170, and that's worked out super for us. Because DH is in the military, and getting leave is an issue right now, we haven't been able to go as often as we'd like. We're averaging about every 18 months. I've also given away a few trips to family.

DH ran into a co-worker, who is the same rank/position as he, with 300+ points, and they've had to use points elsewhere to use them all up.

I can invision a day when we'll need more. Can't wait!!!

tomandrobin
09-18-2006, 08:12 AM
We are sitting at 330 points and holding. Eventually we will probably get up to 500 to 600 points. But thats just a guess.

bobbiwoz
09-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I started this thread saying that I was satisfied with my 500 points and didn't want a single point more. I have since bought 50 more OKW points so we could stay longer in our grand villa in January, 2007. That purchase gave us 150 more points that could be used for the eleven month window. :rolleyes1

This post really made me laugh!! Did you really post it on the same day that you began the thread???

Well, we're at 550 and I came on line a few weeks ago looking for ideas about our situation. I think we're set for now, even though we borrow extensively. We would prefer to relocate to Florida/NJ when retirement comes and thus we don't expect to use DVC as a winter haven.

I still enjoy planning trips on paper and making new plans for far into the future! We just returned from a Smoky Mountain weekend with friends, and need time/money to do things like that too!

Bobbi :)

3DisneyKids
09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
First, thanks OP, for starting a positive thread like this! You are correct that with all of the recent rule enforcement/commerical renting threads and the like, there have been more than a few negative comments flying around. It is nice to know that there are many who are simply content.

As for us, we only have a 150 point "starter" contract at SSR. We knew going in that this would not be enough for our family, however we wanted to pay out of pocket and not finance. Plus, part of our incentive inlcuded all of 2005 points (with no MFs), so we actually started with 300 points. So, with banking/borrowing we are planning to use about 225 points per year for the next two years...and by then we should be able to pay for our add-on out of pocket, and then we will be content for a while. We are in the category of not enough vacation time (DH gets three weeks a year) to use tons of points.

klaubaugh
09-18-2006, 10:12 AM
We've been members for 13 months. Bought 200 SSR in Aug of '05 sight unseen. Had heard about the program. Checked it out. Looked good. Took first trip "home" to BCV at Xmas. Loved it. Went to BWV in May. Loved it. Looked to add points in either. Got on Disney waitlist at both. Bought BWV (150) resale in July and Disney BCV (100) waitlist came through at same time. OK - we can do this - took both. Went to Hilton Head in August - loved it. Added 65 pts there when we got home.

So now we have 515 in 4 contracts with 3 different member numbers. Confusing sometimes but I am a very detailed planner. Have plans for all those points until at least 2009 - but perhaps we have a few too many. We love 2 BR stays, and we are great at budgets and saving. So hopefully we keep up at least 2 annual trips.

Didney Daddy
09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
We have 600 points. 470 at BCV and 130 at SSR. We may at some distant point in the future sell the SSR points once the DD graduates but who knows. We love DVC, going at THanksgiving for 4 days, back again after our Disney WOnder cruise over New Years for 4 days at VWL.

Pixie Dust to All,

tjhsr
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
We have 450pts all SSR 3 contracts.We will do 2 more add-ons to get to 550 or 600pts but that will do it for us. Want to be able to start using a 2br when the kids want to go.Right now we just use studios. Love those 2br units.

DVCLiz
09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
You know, this thread really got me thinking. I have two contracts, both March Use Year - one at BCV, one at HH, both 165 points. I bought the HH contract in order to have enough points to stay in a 2BR at HH during the summer months, and the BCV contract was a resale - it was just coincidental that it had the same number of points.

My thinking was that we might get tired of going to Disney, but we always go to the beach each summer (I think this is an unwritten law if you live in NC!) so we could either use those 165 points to have two 5 night stays at HH, or we could bite the bullet and use them up on a Friday/Saturday stay at HH and extend our beach vacation to a full week.

Now that DD17 is away at college, I'm beginning to see a time when I might want to travel solo for an extended period. After all, DD12 will be gone in 6 years!!! I've planned to add on at the VWL - it's one of my favorites, so I think another 165 points is in order there. Then, if VAK becomes a reality, I'll add on another 165 points. If not, I'd really like a fourth 165 point contract, so I'll add on at the BWV.

I'd like to end up with 660 points, split between 4 resorts, each with 165 points. Easy to plan for, and easy to split up for my daughters down the road!!

Mazz519
09-20-2006, 12:22 PM
We just bought a resale at WLV which brings our grand total up to 630 pts. I like the 11 month window.

:banana: :Pinkbounc :banana: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

bub
09-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Interesting thread - I like reading about how everyone uses their points. We are different from most of this group - we had 4 family members (parents and 3 adult children) split a 220 point contract. Each family gets 55 points a year, enough for 5 nights in a studio in the summer (and lots more at other times). We've been able to pool our points for a GV stay, and have done many other creative combinations.

A few years ago my brother and I each added 55 points at VWL. In my case the extra points allow us to get a 1-bedroom, making it more of a vacation for DH and I (which is how we justified buying more points, since he and I don't usually get away without the kids). If we skip a year, we can stay over a weekend as we did this past year, a very decadent use of points! I feel as though 110 points is fine for us, especially at dues time in January.

pluto109
09-20-2006, 06:02 PM
500 at bwv is plenty

ceejay13
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Until Monday we had 600 points, 500 at the BWV and 100 at the BCV. We sold our BCV points and closed on Monday. I never thought we would have 500 so I am quite happy, given it is just the 2 of us. We do, however, frequently bring our families or friends as we are this year which uses up those points quickly some times. I said we would stop at 500 but if the Contemporary rumors hold true, we might have to add on again.