PDA

View Full Version : Help - almost no AP discounts Dec 3-5! what's up?

missycj96
09-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi - we want to do a quick trip to seek the holiday decorations the first weekend in december? Is that still part of thanksgiving or something (dec 3-5). The resorts were booked solid - no AP or even the discount rate that anyone could use (I think BAT). There was no availability in the WL, Contemporary, Poly, BWI -- There were just some very high end rooms and suites. I ended up reserving POR Riverside, which I like - but they only had waterview and the AP rate was the same as the regular discounted rate ($100 + tax). I even looked on expedia and there was not much yesterday. I thought that between thanksgiving and christmas was supposed to be light crowds? what's going on? Do you think I should keep checking back? The CM I spoke with was very nice and tried hard. Isn't this strange?

KevinFSU
09-12-2004, 05:09 PM
I think they may only have a limited amount of rooms for the rates, at least as far as general public rates are. Not sure if they have a limited amount of AP rooms. Rates have been out for weeks and may all be gone.

hannahryan
09-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Per mousesavers.com:

Be aware that discounted rooms are limited in number and will not be available for all dates at all resorts. You may have to be flexible with your selections. If you can't get your first choice on the first try, call back periodically and check on availability. Frequently discounted rooms will open up as people change and cancel their reservations over time.

Rooms are already booked up heavily for the October-December period this year, due to several factors, including:

tourism is finally recovering after 9/11 - more people are travelling in general
Disney has expanded its Food & Wine Festival and the number of nights of the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, making Fall a more appealing time to travel
many people have already booked the "buy 5 nights, get 7 nights" package that was offered back in May and June for stays through November
Disney has already offered many private e-mail discount codes that allowed the recipients to book discounted rooms through December
With all of these factors in mind, I'm actually a little surprised that discount codes were offered to the general public at all, particularly for October.

In any case discount codes must be thought of as a "clearance sale" -- if you want the discount, you have to be willing to take what's left over! It's important to be flexible with both dates and hotels, and to be persistent in calling back periodically to see if anything has opened up.

I found this to be so true. I called that first day the ap discounts came out and still couldn't get what I was looking for. WDW has certainly rebounded!

chyam
09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
I could not even get a discounted room at the WL the first week in De. on the day that the codes came out! But keep trying I was able to snag 2 of my 4 days a couple of days ago and will keep searching for the other 2. I wasn't able to get my days in October either, but got them last week ...all of them. Just keep trying, I also check the website daily since I get tired of being on hold for what seems like hours. Also I think that since many people had cancelled trips due to hurricanes they may have rebooked so therefore that maybe the reason that no rooms seem available. Good luck!

Winnie Pooh Fan
09-12-2004, 06:51 PM
We are also planning a quick weekend trip those same dates.

How odd, when I called the only thing I couldn't get with the AP discount rate for those dates was the WL.

I booked the Pop at first but then later changed it to POFQ. I did have trouble getting POFQ but after calling back a couple times it opened up. We booked regular rooms at $79 per night.

DebbieB
09-12-2004, 07:38 PM
We always arrive Saturday of the first weekend in December. That weekend is usually busy, I think people close to WDW come in for the weekend to see the Christmas events. The rest of the week (weekdays) are pretty quiet. Also, the Christmas Parade has been taped at MK on the first Saturday the past 2 years, people may be hoping it will be that date again this year.

dbail2
09-12-2004, 08:14 PM
I was just able to get the Poly at the fall rate yeaterday. I have been calling every day and finally got the discount so keep trying..

cindy21494
09-12-2004, 08:24 PM
I just went through this for our October trip. I had booked the WL rack rate for October 8, and was watching for discounts. When they were release, nothing was available. After about 2 weeks discounts became available to WL. Well, by then we decided we wanted to stay at the CR. So I called to see what was available, and only suites were open. The CM even checked all the resorts on the monorail, and nothing was open. Finally yesterday I happened to check on-line and CR had just about every catagory open with a room only discount. When I called, I got a tower room with an AP discount (the CM I was speaking to seems surprised that I could still get an AP discount).

Just keep checking back, I'm not sure why, but rooms seem to open all of a sudden.:crazy:

Good Luck,

Cindy

missycj96
09-12-2004, 08:31 PM
thanks for the support. I know that the discounts are limited, but i wasn't even being that picky. I will keep trying - we really wanted a MK area resort.

cjsmom5
09-12-2004, 08:42 PM
The other factor here might be that Pop Warner is there starting on December 4. Typically, though they are at the value resorts or the moderates. I dont' think we have ever seen them at the deluxes. You just need to keep checking back to see what you can get. I think rooms open periodically. You might want to book what you want and then keep checking for discounts. That way you can always change if you snag something more to your liking. But I have heard that the weekend will be busy with this group coming into town.

Just don't give up. It seems like persistence pays.

missycj96
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
thanks - what's pop warner?

cjsmom5
09-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Pop Warner is an event where high school football teams compete. Not sure if the cheerleaders compete also but they come with the football teams. So, there are lots of high school kids there with chaperones during that time. Typically they are at the value resorts but do spill over into the moderate resorts. There have been posts that last year they were at the CBR and the POR. They practice early in the mornings and run in groups. They can get pretty loud and "rowdy" at the pools and even in the parks so many prefer to schedule their trip at another time.

Dizzyworld
09-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I am having the same problem. I have never had this problem before either. It is so frustrating. I have an AAA rate Dec.8-12 at the AKL for a standard. And I had a hard time getting the room at that time in July. The only AP rate is for a deluxe savanah room. For this quick trip with my daughter, I don't need that type of room. I just find this odd even for the AKL, which seems to go begging for people to stay there. When I had my mid Aug. reservation, and bought my AP one week before going to WDW, I got the rate with no problem at all. (I've had an easier time getting an AAA rate each time I called.)

missycj96
09-16-2004, 08:41 AM
I got poly GV for half the weekend AP rate 233 including tax! No concierge available. For fri night all they had was a suite for $700. Still no availability at all at the GF, WL (only a honeymoon room for $400 pn), or Contemporary.

disneyworld!
09-16-2004, 08:56 AM
I just had canceled my Oct 29th trip, due to lose of job, But got a job yesterday and booked today for Dec 3rd- Dec 8th. 5 nights at the Animal Kingdom- I did ask for the WL, but I had stayed there 5 times. and Never at the AKL, so it was all good- also got an awesome rate at 134 a night pool view!:Pinkbounc

DebbieB
09-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by cjsmom5
Pop Warner is an event where high school football teams compete. Not sure if the cheerleaders compete also but they come with the football teams. So, there are lots of high school kids there with chaperones during that time. Typically they are at the value resorts but do spill over into the moderate resorts. There have been posts that last year they were at the CBR and the POR. They practice early in the mornings and run in groups. They can get pretty loud and "rowdy" at the pools and even in the parks so many prefer to schedule their trip at another time.

Pop Warner is actually ages 5 to 16. Both the football players & cheerleaders have competitions at Wide World of Sports. It's Dec 4 to 11.

chyam
09-16-2004, 09:44 AM
Another reason that we are finding limited rooms is because so many had to reschedule due to the hurricanes......maybe Disney let them reschedule at ther rates they already had just for different dates. I do check online everyday and have found some BAT rate rooms which is still much better than rack, so although I am not getting AP rates (I frankly just get tired of calling and going through the question and answer period) I have been able to take $140.00 off a night for my rooms, I did have to change from Dec.1-4 to Nov 30-3 but that's OK I will keep trying to get the 4th and then drop the 30th but if not it's OK. So keep trying and be flexible.

missycj96
09-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Here's to persistence!! I will keep on trying for Friday night - though we are getting in late anyway so maybe I'll stay with the less expensive option for Friday night and move over early on Saturday.

Cleokitty
09-16-2004, 03:26 PM
The Doll and Teddy Bear show is at Epcot the weekend of 12/3-12/5 so that might add to the crowds a bit.