PDA

View Full Version : Would you go on Sept 16th


disneymom1
09-12-2004, 04:53 AM
Assuming that Ivan heads up to the panhandle and Orlando has nothing more than some heavy rain and some moderate winds on Tuesday and Wednesday, would you go to WDW on Thursday Sept 16th?

Has anyone been in the area lately to see what is really going on? Of course WDW is indicating that everything is normal.

I know that I can reschedule without penalty, but I don't have any really good alternatives for dates within the period the airline is offering to reschedule. One of the reasons we picked Sept 16th is because the kids are off from school on the 16th and 17th and I want to avoid taking them out of school for more than a day or 2. On the other hand, if our vacation will be significantly impacted by Ivan (or Charlie), I would rather reschedule eventhough I probably won't be able to get the good room rate I got for the 16th.

What would you do? Mary at Mousesavers seems to be recommending to reschedule.

Harambe
09-12-2004, 06:06 AM
As of this moment we are still going - flying out of Boston on the 15th. The projected path seems to have moved westward, and the eye will be passed Florida by Wednesday night when we'll arrive. We won't go to a park until the 16th, and by then Ivan will be way north.

Not sure what residual weather we'll hit, but we are also off the 16 and 17 from school, so that's why we're going. However if it still looks bad and we cancel, I'll move the trip somewhere in the near future, then we'll have to pull the kids out for two days (better than pulling them out for a whole week - which we've done in the past! LOL!).

I don't know how many other places have those dates off. It may be busy!

drusso
09-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi,

I'm here now - arrived on Friday. Come on down. Friday & Saturday were beautiful sunny days - little bit of rain Saturday afternoon (drizzle few minutes here and there). Today looks to be the same - already have a bit of a tan. Tues/Wed of this week look to be the worse with the rain/wind predictions - then back to the usual Sept. preditions of 30% chance showers. I was very concerned too - kept flip flopping on canceling - I'm glad we came. We did the grocery stop on the way and Publix is well stocked - thought we find empty shelves. Lots of trees & billboards down along the ride from the airport - no where near the images you are seeing on the news at home. Hope you have a good trip and wonderful vacation.

Denise

tnkrbell
09-12-2004, 07:15 AM
I would go now if I were you!! Yes things can change but.. It looks like it would be nice by then look at the weather for orlando

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalStd.asp?loc=kmco&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=Forecasts&product=Forecast&prodnav=none

SnackyStacky
09-12-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and my plan of attack has been the same - just watch the weather and the news. If it looks like it's going to hit Central Florida, just reschedule. I can almost guarantee that Disney, and the airlines will rebook you with no change fees, and no fare differences.

I'm excited with a bit of trepidation, but I'm still going!!!!!! :)

DNBois
09-12-2004, 09:24 AM
DH and I along with my in-laws were supposed to be leaving on the 18th and we canceled. Unfortunately, for us it was our second time doing this as my husband had some kidney stone issues back in March so we rescheduled for this month.
With the uncertainty of Ivan and other tropical storms (Jean, Isis and Javier) forming, we thought this would not be the best time. Also, we are flying from north and according to TWC, the storms clouds of Ivan are 70,000 feet high and we believe planes fly at 30,000 and we really don't want to be flying through any storm force winds on our way down.
Believe me - DH had been saying to cancel for at least 2 weeks and I refused but after seeing the damage that Floridians took and the fact that in some areas there are shortages of food and fuel, I finally agreed. . .it really put things into perspective.
We have rebooked for even more nights for this coming January and will hope to finally get there.