PDA

View Full Version : AP Discount? Worth it?

Disney Bumfords
09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi All -

Looking for some feedback on the AP discounts. We going next June for 6 nights. Usually we book a package using a discount code. However this time we are going to buy park hoppers instead and just book a room only.

We stay at the Poly, Lagoon View Concierge.

Is it worth it for me to purchase one AP and 3 park hoppers just to get the discount?

Is the discount better than the regular discount codes?

Let me know.

Thanks!!!

Disney Bumfords
09-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Bump :Pinkbounc Bump :Pinkbounc Bump :Pinkbounc

4greatboys
09-12-2004, 10:06 AM
I would buy an AP. This past June we stayed Poly gv concierge and paid $325 a night--rack rate for that time was $440. So we saved $115 per night. After 3 or 4 nights you will have already paid for your AP or PAP and still have your admission taken care of. You can also get 10% at most Epcot restaurants at lunch time and 10% World of Disney in DD. Its a great place to shop.

cdpa4d
09-12-2004, 10:15 AM
APs are definately worth the price. Sometimes, depending on the season, WDW hotels offer room-only discounts for anyone. However, AP discounts are usually 5 to 15 percent cheaper. Considering a $1200 stay at a WDW hotel that 5 to 15 percent cost savings can add up. If you are taking two trips in a year, it is most definately worth it. Keep in mind, as the previous poster mentioned, there are other discounts you can get at the World with your AP. Those savings also pay for the AP. In the end, you will save with an AP if you take advantage of what an AP has to offer. For instance, the 10% you save at the World of Disney can really add up. Even though it is not advertised you can use the AP discount at World of Disney for your family.
ADP :D

CarolA
09-12-2004, 10:40 AM
I would get the rate before I paid for the AP. You don't have to have the AP to make the reservation.

CindyAnn
09-12-2004, 12:04 PM
I agree completely with CarolA. Since you can book an AP rate before you actually have the AP in hand (it's not needed until check-in) I would wait and compare AP rates (if any) to general or regional codes (if any). The usual reasoning is that the regular (not premium) AP becomes cost effective if you use if for 8 days or more, but that only takes the cost of park admission into account.

Actually sometimes APs can cost you a bundle of extra money. NOBODY is better at rationalizing an extra little WDW trip than an AP holder. (Well admission is a big ticket item and it's already paid for. And then, those airfares are a steal! We could just stay somehwere that's fairly inexpensive. And we have to eat anyway, right?) That's how they cost you a bundle! :D

4greatboys
09-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by CindyAnn
NOBODY is better at rationalizing an extra little WDW trip than an AP holder.

::yes:: :teeth:

MandaPerry
09-12-2004, 12:12 PM
We saved 300+on our vacation this nov-dec staying 10 days. We are staying at CSR and POFQ at 88.09 a night and AKL for 130 a night. It started out as 120 a night and 208 a night. So we are loving ap's now.:wave:

dreams91
09-12-2004, 01:04 PM
I am still trying to get an AP rate for Poly LVC. I haven't been able to get one for November and I called the morning they came out and was on the phone right at 7am (4am my time). I was able to apply the rate to my CBR room, but not my mom's Poly LVC.

I'd get the rate before buying the AP....just to make sure.

CaliforniaDreamer
09-12-2004, 01:14 PM
cdpa, "World of Disney" - is that Downtown Disney? Do you mean you can get the discount on everything there?

When you use your AP at an Epcot lunch place, do you show it before your order?

I'm getting the pass for my hotel rates. I'm tempted to buy a second one for my DH in case we do make a second trip. It's the other coast so the odds aren't good unless we found a three-day weekend. I wish they would make it a DL/WDW AP. To buy the extra AP over a 5-day, it's $158 more. Are there any other advantages I'm not thinking of for us to have two APs?

johnsonet
09-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I got $450 off the rack rate of 5 nights at AKL Concierge for this December. It's my AP, so I won't be paying for park admission during the 4.5 days we'll be there PLUS this is my 3d stay using the Annual Pass - it paid for itself on my FIRST trip w/ it back in April:teeth:

scrump
09-12-2004, 01:43 PM
I forgot the math on this one, but I think the breakeven point for us, for a value resort during value season, was 7 nights? the ap paid for itself, and I'm glad I got it, even though I may not be able to take an extra trip before it expires. :(

cjsmom5
09-12-2004, 02:13 PM
We typically take two trips a year, now. One after Thanksgiving and one in the spring. On both trips the AP has saved us tons. And since we stay over 10 days at Thanksgiving it definitely pays for itself. Our room in November when from $275 to $151 per night. Whe are staying there for 7 nights. That really adds up to quite the savings. Plus, we use it quite a bit at World of Disney. We buy most of our stuff there to get the discount.

We also have APs for Disneyland and after two trips between the AP room discount and the park rates we more than make up our money. A friend of mine figured it took three trips to get your money worth out of just the regular AP pass for there. When you add in the AP room rates, for us, we recover in just one trip.

I, too, wisd they had an AP for DL and WDW together. We would definitely be for buying that one. If for no other reason that it is easier to keep track of one pass instead of two.

But, yes, the AP is worth it. However, I think it may also depend on your situation. But, as someone else said, you can get the AP rate first and then buy your AP ... so there isn't a lot to use by trying to get an AP room. Just make sure you book what you want so if the AP rate doesn't come out, you still have a room. Remember once you have the room, you can always change the rate on it, if it is available. But it is much harder to get a room when they are all booked up.

4greatboys
09-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaDreamer
cdpa, "World of Disney" - is that Downtown Disney? Do you mean you can get the discount on everything there?

When you use your AP at an Epcot lunch place, do you show it before your order?

I'm getting the pass for my hotel rates. I'm tempted to buy a second one for my DH in case we do make a second trip. It's the other coast so the odds aren't good unless we found a three-day weekend. I wish they would make it a DL/WDW AP. To buy the extra AP over a 5-day, it's $158 more. Are there any other advantages I'm not thinking of for us to have two APs?

When you are checking out at World of Disney just give them your AP and you will get 10% off of your total.

At Ecpot--also at Planet Hollywood and Whispering Canyon--you can just give them the AP when they bring your bill and they will take 10% off.

The only way I feel 2 AP's would be beneficial is if you are going for a long trip or multiple trips. If your just making one 7 day or under trip you wont be saving any money.