PDA

View Full Version : Ok! Here's another mug question, please dont be mad...

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 10:52 AM
my question is this, we are staying at the PC one night and the ASMo for 8 days. Would they let us buy the mug at PC and continue to use it at ASMo??? Has anyone heard about the meal vouchers? Are these just a rip off scam?

TINKTWINS
09-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Skip the mug at PC, buy a bottle of something to share and ask for some paper cups, we did this for a one night stay, we bought a 2 liter bottle of coke and shared it at dinner time.

jadedNYer
09-11-2004, 11:05 AM
My advice is wait until you get ASMo to get a mug. It won't be worthwile for one night at POP unless you want it for souvenier. Short answer - mugs are only good at the resort at which they were purchased.

I can't answer about the vouchers but if you are talking about the ones at AK there are some threads about them and there seems to a consensus that those vouchers are a good deal.

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Did you buy the two liter at the food court or at an off-site store and was it crazy high?

jarestel
09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Tough it out for the one night and buy the mugs when you get to ASMo. Why do something you know is not right?

mbb
09-11-2004, 03:10 PM
at the gift shop for pop/milk, etc.

A 2L of pop may cost...$3...??

Have a great Vacation!!:)

:sunny:

Lewski709
09-11-2004, 03:44 PM
The vouchers are great if you do your research.

With a Quick and Casual voucher, which are counter service places, (I just bought 3 at hotwiresavings.com for 11.50ea, a free 30 day membership and 10.00 off the first order) you get a non-alcoholic drink, meal, side (if not already in the meal) and dessert.

They are a great bargain if you use them at the Pepper Market or Beaches N Cream, but that's about it. They include tax and gratuity, but usually for counter service....I don't tip anyhow.:rolleyes:

The Vacation Kingdom Lunch (or sit down places) are for a non-alcoholic drink, appetizer, meal and dessert. They run 31.00 per adult and 12.75 per child. Again, they include tax and gratuity.

We bought ONE VK for RFC at AK and two adults and one child (5) ate on it. The lunch and dinner menu are the same, so can be used for either. I don't know about other places. We got a smoothie (5.99 reg), Tsunami Shrimp Cocktail (childs meal and reg 10.99), A Platter with ribs, chicken and shrimp, fries and a veggie (reg 25.99, as I recall) and Banana's Foster for dessert (reg 6.99).

We made out and there was plenty of food. The wait staff was GREAT about helping us pick out the best items to get a lot for our money.

But again, you have to look at menus and compare prices to know what is and isn't a good restaurant to use them at.

They also have Breakfast Certificates for 18.25 adult and 11.00 child. These are NOT worth it anyplace.

LisaSt
09-11-2004, 04:00 PM
No CM's would likeley say anything but the first reply is a good one just get a bottle or go to ASmovies and buy one there when you get to WDW and use it for the night at POP. We have used our Dixie mugs at Coronado when we forgot to bring our Coronado mugs and we have used a Coronado mug at the Contemporary and not one CM ever said anything about it. We actually had the CM's working at the pepper market at Coronado take our Dixie mug we brought over there and fill it for us during our meal.

dalt01
09-11-2004, 04:36 PM
:drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Jarestel,
What do you mean about doing something that is not right? I havent done anything, Im just asking a question.

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Im new, I did not realize that the mug was such a hot topic of angst.
This is crazy. WDW is gettting plenty of money from the tickets, the hotel stays and the food. I think they should GIVE the mugs to resort guests and they should be refillable EVERYWHERE!!!!
That is my opinion and I stand by it.

Fountain drinks are dirty cheap for WDW and its the cups that cost them the most anyway. They should sell the cups at the park and make the refillable EVERYWHERE for one season.

*Fantasia*
09-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by jarestel
Tough it out for the one night and buy the mugs when you get to ASMo. Why do something you know is not right?
:confused: The OP didn't know what is right or wrong. I automatically assumed that he is a newbie and he didn't know and I was right, he is new on this board and he didn't know. Don't assume that everyone that post here on this board knows everything. There are some new comers here and they are here to learn about Disney. You will keep seeing the thread regarding about refill-mugs because not everyone knows how it works and that's why we are here to help them.

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 07:34 PM
FANTASIA,
Im sorry, did I miss your original remark that you reference?
I dont see another post from you on this. Im new too so please forgive me. I am so sorry about your husband. That is too sad.

skiwee1
09-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by luvitmoreachtime
This is crazy. WDW is gettting plenty of money from the tickets, the hotel stays and the food. I think they should GIVE the mugs to resort guests and they should be refillable EVERYWHERE!!!!

Fountain drinks are dirty cheap for WDW and its the cups that cost them the most anyway. They should sell the cups at the park and make the refillable EVERYWHERE for one season.

So now we know what you really think of the mug program! Seriously, no one is twisting your arm to even go Disney so please don't whine about prices. WDW isn't a charity. If you think it is so expensive then why go and get into such a tizzy. Personally I think WDW is a bargain especially when comparing it to other vacation areas. If you don't think you will get your $12 investment then stick with individual cups.

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 07:41 PM
I wasnt whining and I am entitle to my opinion. I asked a question, and from your response, you're the one with issues, not me.
Thanks for your input but don't go jumping to conclusions about someone based on something you see on a message board.
Have a great trip.

*Fantasia*
09-11-2004, 07:47 PM
FANTASIA,
Im sorry, did I miss your original remark that you reference?
I dont see another post from you on this. Im new too so please forgive me. I am so sorry about your husband. That is too sad.
Huh?? That is my first reply. What I was saying is that when I saw your number post, it is very low and I just assumed that this is your first time here on the DIS board...and I was right. And...you're here to ask about the refill-mug cause you didn't know about it, that's all.

Anyway...Welcome to the DIS Board!! Enjoy posting away!! :)
...and regarding about my husband...Thank you. Just doing the best I know how.

Bojangles
09-11-2004, 07:59 PM
WDW is gettting plenty of money from the tickets, the hotel stays and the food. I think they should GIVE the mugs to resort guests and they should be refillable EVERYWHERE!!!!

If it's not a good value for you, then by all means don't purchase one. :D

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Maybe if those of you are jumping all over my case would read the entire posting, you would see why the comment was made. I do think they are a good value. I just dont understand why they are so many who are so worked up over them and accuse people of cheating WDW for sharing them or using them over or trying to use them at another resort. This is just unbelievable that people get so worked up over the subject. I just asked a simple question and now i still dont know anymore about what the official position of WDW is on the use and I guess I wont until I get there. Apparently there is a lot of misinformation on this website about the subject and apparently the rules are not the same at all times. I did intend to cheat Disney, I DO think they are a good value, I just wanted to know the rules!!!!!!!

Dopey's twin Dippy
09-11-2004, 10:11 PM
we stay at the music , and once asmovies- i actually broght my mugs back. my family laughs at me.......oh well. but i would prob. buy a tonic at pop and maybe buy the mugs at the movies. also we just got home 9/4, and alot of people just asked the cashier for a cup and she gave it to them. i got one for water-to take a pill to. it was free. and for ME they are a GREAT BUY cause i drink diet pepsi (i know they only have diet coke......) all day long. i actually missed my DIET PEPSI all week...........anyways , when you go i hope you guys have a GREAT week.........

dalt01
09-11-2004, 10:17 PM
fight nice children:chat: :chat: :chat: :chat: :chat: :chat:

chilis
09-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Maybe if those of you are jumping all over my case would read the entire posting, you would see why the comment was made. I do think they are a good value. I just dont understand why they are so many who are so worked up over them and accuse people of cheating WDW for sharing them or using them over or trying to use them at another resort. This is just unbelievable that people get so worked up over the subject. I just asked a simple question and now i still dont know anymore about what the official position of WDW is on the use and I guess I wont until I get there. Apparently there is a lot of misinformation on this website about the subject and apparently the rules are not the same at all times. I did intend to cheat Disney, I DO think they are a good value, I just wanted to know the rules!!!!!!!

Gosh, I love this board and all the information it provides, but I agree with the OP! Why do so many people get upset when newbies like us don't know the rules? I thought the purpose of this board was for veterans of Disney travel to share all the wonderful information about the place. It makes me wary of posting for fear of getting my head bitten off for not knowing the answer before I post!

Lisa

Bojangles
09-11-2004, 10:30 PM
I just dont understand why they are so many who are so worked up over them and accuse people of cheating WDW for sharing them or using them over or trying to use them at another resort.

I don't think anyone accused you of cheating and you are the only one here who is getting "worked up" and defensive. :confused: The mugs are about $12. If it's worth it to you, by all means purchase one. If not, the nice people here gave you an alternative choice (go buy a 2-litre).

luvitmoreachtime
09-11-2004, 10:46 PM

just to clarify before someone "quotes" my words back to me to tear into me again, I made a typing mistake and meant to say,
I did NOT intend to cheat Disney, I DO think they are a good value, I just wanted to know the rules!!!

chilis
09-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Please don't get too angry! I am still a newbie on this board, but I have read so many posts it could make my eyes cross! Anyone who read your original post would understand what you were saying! I think sometimes people on this board go a little overboard with their opinions and we all need to take the comments with a grain of salt. People here need to remember that when there is a post they are reading, an actual PERSON posted it and they need to seriously think about what they are posting PRIOR to posting it! Words come across much harsher when they are written and maybe if everyone on this board thought about that before posting, people wouldn't worry about getting "flamed" so often.
Just my opinion!
Lisa

jarestel
09-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Jarestel,
What do you mean about doing something that is not right? I havent done anything, Im just asking a question.

Sorry if I mis-understood. Maybe you just didn't realize that the refillable mugs are good for the duration of your stay at the resort they were purchased at, not everywhere on property. If you didn't know this, then I apologize for assuming... ( guess it's true what they say about assuming, LOL! )

That's the "official policy". However, it's been reported that people have taken 7-11 mugs and refilled them without being questioned. Everyone is free to do as they choose and what they think is right.

jarestel
09-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by *Fantasia*
:confused: The OP didn't know what is right or wrong. I automatically assumed that he is a newbie and he didn't know and I was right, he is new on this board and he didn't know. Don't assume that everyone that post here on this board knows everything. There are some new comers here and they are here to learn about Disney. You will keep seeing the thread regarding about refill-mugs because not everyone knows how it works and that's why we are here to help them.

Maybe so, but from the heading the OP chose for this thread, you have to admit it does lead one to think ( rightly or wrongly ) that the OP knew there were reasons for expecting certain responses to mug questions.

Cleokitty
09-12-2004, 09:22 AM
:duck: I'm going to weigh in on this one, though I usually try to just read the mug threads. Our family has found that while the mugs make great souvenirs, it's hard for us to drink $12/person worth of soda while at Disney. We've found that we aren't around the resort enough to stop by and have them filled. And, when we are thristy at Disney, it seems that the last thing we want to drink is sugar-laden soda. But, not all families are alike.

As far as the OP's "don't be mad" in the heading line, maybe it was for those folks who thought the mug question had been put to rest in the last 223 threads about them:rotfl:

Either way folks, people are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what you deem right or wrong. The OP asked the question should they buy on th 1st night at PC and then use at the next resort. Advice from several folks was "wait"--that's what they were looking for. Let the OP make their own decision now.

OP, don't let the less-friendly mug responses push you over to the other Disney discussion forums that exist out there. From my experience, though I mostly lurk instead of post, people in this forum are generally nice but don't like ANY criticism of the Mouse.

Remember veteran posters, there are people out there who have never been to Disney (GASP) and don't even know what a refillable mug is. I know this for a fact because some of our best friends are going for the first time this Dec.

So folks, have a good day. Mug or no mug, the OP is going to Disney!

TDC Nala
09-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Buy the Pop Century mug for one night's stay if you like the mug or if you want the convenience, but don't buy it expecting to get a deal from one night's stay worth of free refills. You're not supposed to be able to use it at the All-Stars, although there's no guarantee the same-resort policy will be enforced at any given resort.

Depending on how much soda you want, if you're looking for a deal, buy a mug at the All-Star and use it there.

I agree it wouldn't hurt Disney to allow refills in perpetuity, and in the past that apparently has been the policy in some resorts if not all of them, but it isn't now. The one-mug, one-resort per stay policy is now actually printed on the mugs themselves in some of the resorts and the signage, where present, has generally been changed so it isn't as vague as it used to be.

But one can take a chance on the policy not being enforced, if one wishes to do so.

luvitmoreachtime
09-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Cleokitty,
thank you for weighing in, I appreciate your comments. I had seen some other posts on the mug but none that answered my question. I did not realize it was such a violotile subject until I started getting responses and did a search on "the mug" issue and found that you need flammable suits to enter this fray. I am willing pulling out of this one. I probably will get blasted for this too but as much as I love WDW, I am not under the misguided impression that it the mouse has become a god and that anyone that criticizes must be beheaded at once. I have one God and He is not a mouse. The PEOPLE who run WDW are as fallible and capable of making misjudgements as I am.

Thank you all for your comments, bad, good and otherwise.

I wince as I submit this reply cause I know that I wild be blasted soon.
lol

Sammie
09-13-2004, 12:31 AM

I truely could care less if someone reuses a previously bought Disney mug again and again. Disney will stop them if they want to. I do find it interesting on these threads that the people who accuse others of "flaming" are the ones that tend to bend policy to fit their needs and when someone states policy they start yelling "flamers".

Mugs at Disney: the current written policy on mugs is that the mug is to be used at that resort only and only during your stay. Mugs bought prior to the new written policy. I never thought they were to be used forever, it never occured to me to bring it back. Obviously since there is a now a written policy on each mug, Disney felt the need to put the policy in writing. Sure you can ask some CM if you can reuse an old one and more than likely they will say yes. They don't care. That does not make it policy, it means they could care less what you do.

Personally it is not worth the hassle to bring a old mug back and the cost of a new one will not break me. If I could not afford to buy a new mug each time I went, I am not sure I could enjoy myself if money was that tight.

However I really do not see where stating they get plenty of money from someone for tickets, rooms, etc. has anything to do with the mug issue. Are you saying that if you pay for something you are entitled to rip them off somewhere else.

I do not see the relevance. Theater tickets are very expensive to go to movies, do you take your mug with you to the theater and ask for free refills?

jann1033
09-13-2004, 12:41 AM
on the pop century mug it says" free unlimited refills from our beverage islands during the stay in which the mug was purchased" so that is their official policy...

luvitmoreachtime
09-13-2004, 07:57 AM
As usual someone is using my "quote"d words to make a point that has NOTHING to do with what I said. I did not say that it was a justification to cheat Disney, I was saying that Disney should offer the mugs with the policy that it is okay to refill anywhere for ONE season.
I live near Busch Gardens Williamsburg and Kings Dominion and both have refillable mugs at their parks and refills are quite a bit cheaper than buying a drink each time. BG lets you use cup at discounted refills forever and KD it is for one operating season. I only said that comment because everyone is so worked up over the issue and I feel that Disney could offer this throughout the parks but I never endorsed cheating Disney. I have NO intention of bringing my cups back in 2 or 3 years and reusing them. I have NO intention of cheating and trying to use it somewhere other than where Disney's policy allows. I was just commenting that Disney could make the offer more of a bargain and maybe OTHER people would not feel the need to "cheat". I do however plan on sharing 2 cups between my family of four and NOONE is going to convince me that this is cheating Disney. I WILL ask for free refills of ice and tap water at the parks with this cup but if they don't give it then that is ok too. The OP was to ask a simple question, not get into a battle of morals and right and wrong but so many of you have made it into this argument.

goofy4tink
09-13-2004, 08:20 AM
Here's another person who couldn't care less what you do with any of your resort mugs. I have about 13 of them and won't be getting more. But.....the current policy, as stated on the mugs themselves, is...for use during the current stay at the resort at which the mug was bought. Seems pretty clear. Now, if you have a mug from 1999, like me, it doesn't put this info on the mug. There was signage, in '99, that read the mugs were for use during your current visit. I saw the signs at DxL and then at POR. Now...do the CM's enforce this rule now? Probably not. Did CM's tell some people that the mugs were good forever? Sure. But if I remember correctly, that was awhile ago.

My take on this whole mug issue? I think that Disney figures that most people will buy a new mug for each visit. They won't reuse them. Heck, most people don't know these boards exist!!!! But, there are those who will reuse their mugs. I'm sure that Disney doesn't feel it's a big enough issue at this point. Be assured..when it gets to be an issue, Disney will jump into the fray!!! I think we should all just answer the asked question with the existing facts.....current stay at current resort. Then shrug our shoulders (so to speak) when asked about previously purchased mugs. Life is just too short to get my 'panties in a bunch' over what the Jones family is doing with their mugs from 1998!!! Just don't take my pool chaise if you aren't staying at my resort!!!

Fox&Hound
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM
Hi luvitmoreachtime!! I liked the second post (by Tinktwins) suggesting that you wait until you get to Asmo before purchasing the mug. I don't think it's a good value for just one day. :-)

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!
:bounce:

luvitmoreachtime
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
THank you, that is what I have decided to do, i just didnt know exactly how the mug thing worked. Right now Im so sick of the whole issue that I dont even want to see a mug, lol