PDA

View Full Version : BAD review of GF--please comment, did we make a mistake?

micmacmissy
09-10-2004, 09:53 PM
We booked a suite at the GF for this coming Dec...it cost a small fortune and now i've read an awful review on another website...it said:

-----------------
It is interesting to have stayed at the Grand Floridian some years ago (it was breathtakingly beautiful) and then to revisit recently. It has changed. Even though this is the so-called hallmark of the Disney hotels, this one is being neglected. The paint is peeling, the gardens looked shabby and the rooms are worn. Our balcony was so full of bird dung that we were appalled and had to ask for a cleaning, recleaning and a last *clean this or we're moving out* cleaning. The room had candy wrappers under the furniture and the bathroom floor wasn't clean. The restaurants were dirty and the floors coming in and out were littered. Profit has triumphed over pride at Disney.

Sadly, all of Disney has gone downhill. It used to be the gold standard for hospitality and cleanliness. Not so anymore. The park itself is dirty and smoking is again permitted. And don't even ASK me about the abomination that they still call Tiki Birds, which has been perverted from a sweet experience to a New York street brawl.

I used to be Disney's most vocal fan. Now I think I will never return. Truly, the magic is gone.

----------------
Can anyone comment on this? This review was from someone who visited two weeks ago...now i'm worried....

tiggersmom2
09-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Go to GF and have a GRAND time!!! It is a lovely resort and this report is way off base. I was there last year and it was beautiful. I have yet to be in a WDW resort that I did not think was beautiful. Don't let someone's sour grapes spoil your vacation.

schweig
09-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Don't worry - we stayed in December 2002 - my husband and daughter visited th GF January 2003 and we are also going back December of 2004. You will hear good and bad about every resort at Disney. It is just personal opinion. You will love the GF. Anyway, how can you take anyone seriously who doesn't find humor in the Tiki Birds???

Deb & Bill
09-10-2004, 10:01 PM
We stayed at GF last summer ('03) and loved it. We'd like to stay there again and we are DVC members.

BCV23
09-10-2004, 10:08 PM
We were at the GF this summer and it was in fantastic shape, I thought. The main lobby was recently renovated and while we were there, the carpet on the stairs was being replaced...not that I had ever noticed it needing that by the way.

We were in Conch Key, 3rd floor facing the MK and our mousekeeper was great. Balcony was immaculate, too.

At the parks, smoking is limited to a few designated spots. This review is certainly not factual there.

Have a great trip!

RoLaren
09-10-2004, 10:22 PM
It is a glorious resort. Go, stay, and have a magical time!

rngrblu9
09-10-2004, 10:24 PM
my parents were just there right before frances & they absolutely loved it!!!

jessiangel
09-10-2004, 10:25 PM
We have not stayed at the GF, but went for dinner at 1900 Park Fare. The restaurant was very clean and I don't know about the rooms, but the lobby was impeccable. We (hopefully) will be staying there on our 2nd honeymoon after our vow renewal at Disney next June.

luvpooh
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
we stayed at the Grand Floridian, and enjoyed, it but not more so than any other resort. IMHO, there were some nice touches, like the hamper in the bathroom to put your towels in, the turndown service, and of course, the wonderful view of the MK that our rooms gave us. But our personal experience didn't give us outstanding service, just fine service, which wasn't more than I was expecting. There wasn't anything wrong with GF, per se, I just don't mark it in my favorites column. I'd much rather stay at the Boardwalk or Beach Club, but again, this is only my opinion...

BTW, I have to agree with the bird poop on the balcony, but what is the GF supposed to do, station a mousekeeper on every balcony to clean every 'misdeed' every time it occurs? :eek: :rolleyes: I mean, it's nature, deal with it!!:sunny:

P.S. - we did also splurge $80+ on room service breakfast for the four of us one morning and had it overlooking the Castle (including Mimosas using the champagne from the mini bar!), which is one memory that is wonderful and we won't forget!princess:

WDWRC
09-11-2004, 12:08 AM
If you are looking for a AAA 4 Diamond Award Resort for 2004, then GF is not where you want to go. They lost a Diamond this year versus 2003 due to service and cleanliness, and they are trying REALLY REALLY hard to get back in shape. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful resort, it just has hit a few bumps in the road.

Tracy

patsvette
09-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Go and enjoy it,we did and had a great time,absolutley loved it,will stay there again someday.

jockey
09-11-2004, 07:44 AM
We love it and I am sure you will also!!:teeth:

DisneyMomx7
09-11-2004, 07:57 AM
We stayed at GF in AUgust 2003 and July 2004 and can't wait to go back July 2005. Mousekeeping was excellent, the hotel was beautiful and all the CMs were very friendly. Go and have a wonderful time!

susy
09-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Go! Some people are REALLY picky. When I am at WDW I would not notice a candy wrapper if it jumped up and kissed me!

long4disney
09-11-2004, 11:06 AM
We have stayed at the GF over 10 times, most recently Oct. 2003. We are going back again this December and we can hardly wait!!! We have never experienced anything negative about our favorite resort. We have stayed in every building, concierge and all and everything has been perfect!!! We wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else!:wave2:

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
09-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Did this review happen to come from the trip advisor site? It sounds like one that I have read there. I wouldn't seriously consider one bad review over all the glowing ones. The arguements that the reviewer raises are not very convincing to me.

I was at the GF last winter and it was great! As for the reviews of the parks and their condition, if you have been to WDW in the past 3 years, the condition of the parks is still pretty much the same. Not as spotless as it had been in the early days, BUT the best condition of any park in the USA!

Go and have a great time, and if there are any problems, state it to someone immediately! We had some difficulty with our rooms at Cont. this summer and before we sat down I called the front desk and we had new rooms immediately. The customer service is still there.

Dawnflower
09-11-2004, 12:24 PM
some people are never going to be pleased! The person wrote that review may have started off bad and it effected the entire vacation! They could not get out of the office till late, the spouse was grouchy because they where rushed to the airport and the security lines where way backed up! The couple 2 seats back had twins with colic and there was a mix-up at the luggage terminal with identical bags! Any one of those things could set some people in a crabby mood and then EVERYTHING is wrong!

My neighbors nit-picked WDW to death!! It was their first trip, and they hated all of the things we loved! Hated Chef Mickey's said it was the worst food in the world, said the CR was a low budget Motel 6, on and on they went, however--they bought into the time share at SSR! Go figure, some people also just like to complain!

So chin up and go enjoy yourself at one of my dream resorts! Some day I hope to get to stay there!!

Terry S
09-11-2004, 12:40 PM
We stayed at GF last month and we are normally BC people. We really enjoyed the GF, it is a beautiful resort with wonderful CM's. Don't let someone else bad experience spoil yours and don't have thier bad experience cause you to start looking for stuff you otherwise would not have seen.

wdisneyaholic
09-11-2004, 01:38 PM
I haven't stayed at the GF but I will tell what happened to my family at the YC this year. I have heard so many good things about the YC, how nice and clean and friendly everyone is. That was not exactly what happened to us. When we checked in and finally got into out room I started to notice a few small things about the room that indicated it was not clean. Little candy wrappers on the floor, crumbs, etc. I knida brushed it off and let it go, went out to eat and then came back to get ready for bed. I started noticing more things like the bathroom, no towels, so soaps. So I decided to take a walk to the front desk and expland the situation to them. They cound;t have been nicer. The gentleman found me a room the look right over the wedding gazebo(which was an upgrade for us) and he took me up to the room and check it out with me personally.

I go on vacation with the understanding that these are large hotels with lots of people in them. Some people make more of a mess than others and I beleive they try there best on keeping things clean. Sometimes they miss things, to be expected.

I have yet to encounter a place that trys to keep things up to a high standard like Disney. That is one reason I have trouble goina to any other park or staying off site. I compare everything to Disney and nothing can compete.

So, I say, go to the GF and enjoy your stay and then you make your own opinion of it, don't let others discourage you from taking a majical vacation.

Oh, and by the way, I have already booked my trip for next year at the YC - my new favorite.

kda
09-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Hmmmmm........ haven't stayed at the GF in years because we bought ito DVC, but we do visit it and haven't noticed any problems.

Some people do have bad experiences --- it happens. And everyone has their own opinions. But the Tiki Bird comment seems way over the top. If an innocuous attraction like that can bring on that much criticism, that person obviusly looks at things differently from me.

CarolA
09-11-2004, 02:45 PM
I think the GF is in good shape.

Service is lacking for a hotel of that price and reputation. (If you want to see what they SHOULD have go to the Ritz) I found the service at both YC/BC to be a LOT better and have never gone back to GF.

iloveeeyore
09-11-2004, 03:04 PM
I would seriously question the judgment of the person who posted this review. After all, anyone who demonstrates such blatant disrepect for a good New York street brawl clearly has bad taste.;)

Go and enjoy the GF. It is a lovely resort!

jaguar9748
09-11-2004, 03:26 PM
We visit WDW 4 times a year and have stayed at the resorts listed below (some of them multiple times). The one thing I have determined from reading these boards is that folks experience wonderful and awful stays at the same resort. For example, our stay at the Contemporary was awful, but others rave about it. Our stays at the Wilderness Lodge were spectacular but others have had serious issues. Our stay at the Grand Floridian was OK - we had some of the same issues described above - and for the money charged didn't feel that we got our best value. But others - as mentioned here - truly enjoyed wonderful stays. Go with as open as mind as you can and have fun! :wave:

Janet2k
09-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by micmacmissy
We booked a suite at the GF for this coming Dec...

I have stayed in two different two-bedroom suites at the Grand Floridian. The suites were beautiful and my family had the best vacations ever. I have a couple photos of one of the suites posted in my on-line photo album:
Cypress Suite Parlor Room (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janettwokay/slideshow?.dir=/4a20&.src=ph)
Cypress Suite Master Bedroom (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janettwokay/slideshow?.dir=/6fbc&.src=ph)
Cypress Suite 2nd Bedroom (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janettwokay/slideshow2?.dir=38b1&.beg=2&.src=ph)

Besides those suite stays, my family has stayed at the GF numerous other times. Our two most recent stays were last October (click here for Oct/Nov trip report (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=465756)) and in May of this year (click here for May/June trip report (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=586647)). Those two stays were flawless. One was in the main building (concierge) and the other was in Conch Key (non-concierge). The Cast Members we encountered couldn't have been kinder to us had they tried. We definitely felt the magic.

I will be staying at the Grand Floridian again next month. Booking that reservation was very hard for me to do. Why? Because my husband and I will be renewing our wedding vows with a Fairy Tale Weddings vow renewal ceremony. The major portion of our guests will be staying at the BoardWalk Villas. I felt very guilty switching resorts on them even for one night. However, I finally gave in to my heart's desire and booked my Grand Floridian reservation because that is the resort where my family first stayed on our very first Walt Disney World vacation, and that is the resort where my family's love of Walt Disney World began. How could I possibly be renewing my wedding vows in the Wedding Pavilion without spending at least a few nights at that incredible resort? I couldn't, and thus my husband and I will be switching over to the Grand Floridian for a few nights while our children and guests stay at the BoardWalk Villas. I am awfully glad I did that. I know our Grand Floridian stay will be magical.

This is all my humble opinion, and others' opinions might vary, as it should be. If you stay at the Grand Floridian, I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Spark
09-11-2004, 06:06 PM
We stayed at the Grand Floridian for part of our vacation this year in May...We found it to be impeccable! We had a dormer room in the Boca Chica building, and loved it. The kids did make the comment that "this place is a little rich for us!". We did see a gentleman being settled into his lounge chair at the pool by a butler dressed in full black attire with a towel draped across his arm. No kidding! I had to snicker...We were the ones dragging our luggage about a half mile from the parking lot because we didn't want to do valet parking! To each his own.

Cinderella37
09-11-2004, 06:46 PM
We too had foreign objects on the floor and under the furniture at the GF. Our room was filthy and I understand the clean, please, reclean, and finally, extreme frustration, requests. When we returned home and I spoke with someone in management at the hotel, she acknowledged that the resort was having many problems, especially in housekeeping and upkeep (this coming straight from a CM). And yes, they did lose a Diamond due to their decline, which was even referred to by some of the CMs we encountered. We stopped staying there and love the BWI now, but I do miss the GF a little.

Personally, I love the proximity to the MK. I'm more forgiving than my fiance who refuses to return after years of obvious decline. I have heard from management that they are trying to get back to the former level of service. This may not be apparent to someone who has only recently been staying at the GF, but I'm assuming people who stayed there from the early '90s to about 2000 have seen some decline and management apathy.

I'd give it a try, especially since you're in a suite. They staff suites and concierge with their best housekeepers, obviously. When you return, let me know how it was. Have a wonderful time!

Gary M
09-11-2004, 07:00 PM
We have stayed at the GF several times and have seen many nannies with families, but not a butler. Spark, could the person with the butler have been Senator John Kerry?

delilah
09-11-2004, 07:12 PM
We visited the third week of July 2004. This was when they were replacing the carpeting on the stairs in the lobby, and they were doing a lot of work on the landscaping while we were there, trimming trees and such. One must keep in mind that two hurricanes have recently passed the area, and, I suspect, some of the problems with landscaping are related to that. If they visited two weeks ago, this might have been the case.

I attended a conference at GF, and, actually, my room was paid for by my employer. That said, I thought the resort was absolutely beautiful. Up to that point, my favorite resort had been AKL, and I would stay there again, but, the lighting was much nicer at GF. I didn't see any problems with housekeeping at all, our room was clean, and the common areas in our building were clean (we were in building 8). We are DVC members, and I would probably not use my points to stay at GF, but, the resort was comparable to other resorts that I have stayed at in Florida, in terms of upkeep and cleanliness for the cost of the room (such as Sundial resort on Sanibel).

disneychrista
09-12-2004, 12:02 AM
There will always be people who have nothing good to say about something. Dont worry about those people. Go and have fun.

Candleshoe
09-12-2004, 12:40 AM
We didn't stay there, but last October our daughter had the Alice in Wonderland tea and my husband treated me to a massage at the spa. We spent time walking through the grounds and talking to the porters. Their garb reminded me so much of the Grand Hotel in macinack island (sp), even though I haven't been there in 20 someodd years.

I didn't notice shabby or rundown. I noticed elegance and quiet beauty. I'm hoping to find the informaiton on the ladybugs for our upcoming trip so DD can view that.

I think you will enjoy it very much.

Have a wonderful time.

/sherry

webray
09-12-2004, 07:48 AM
We are at the GF..right now...main building (royal palm )concierge...and the report is not far from off base. I will never...ever..stay here again. The concierge staff is horrible, the offerings are not worth the huge price we are paying. Nobody here seems to care about anything. The balcony, yes..full of bird crap.

We have only eaten at V&A's so far..and that was spectacular as usual. The pool bathroom must have had a back up...so the closed sign was in the door all morning yesterday..people still using it..no one working on it though.

We have stayed at almost every disney resort..concierge floors/none concierge, villas, etc. We saved the GF until we could do..what we call doing it right..since it is disneys..."best" resort. Well...the GF is anything but top of the line for disney. Don't waste your money..choose something else.

Tinkerbelle739
09-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by tiggersmom2
Go to GF and have a GRAND time!!! It is a lovely resort and this report is way off base. I was there last year and it was beautiful. I have yet to be in a WDW resort that I did not think was beautiful. Don't let someone's sour grapes spoil your vacation.

My sentiments exactly!! Go and enjoy!!

CarolA
09-12-2004, 11:03 AM
If I were the OP this thread would not reassure me LOL!

I will say that my expectaions for the GF were that it would be a world class rosort based on Disney's adverstising.

It is very nice, it is NOT world class. At a World Class Resort people do not report bad service because it does not happen. We seem to be willing to give the GF a little slack since it's Disney.

I think if most posters stayed at the Orlando Ritz and then the GF they would see the difference in an instant. (Let's just start with Valet at the Ritz they race to your car at the GF you have to flag them down!)

a |PiX!e |)uSt
09-12-2004, 11:15 AM
i have been to the grand flo and every visit has been magical and beautiful this person may have just had a bad experience hope this helps i would still go if i were you :tongue:

suz&bmj
09-12-2004, 04:14 PM
With this many mixed reviews, I'm wondering if we should just cross our fingers and keep our Dec reservation for GF. Or should we change now to a different resort with more consistency to the reviews? Since we're doing land/sea, some resorts are not available to us (so we've been told), like WL. That seems to be a resort that has mostly positive reviews. Advice?

:confused:

pirateofthecarolinas
09-12-2004, 04:26 PM
The GF is one of the most beautiful resorts during DEC. We were there in May and we're going back in Dec. I won't change my ressies because of someone elses stay. Everyone has different trips and I had a great experience in May and am looking forward to going back.

Lori

sotoalf
09-12-2004, 06:11 PM
No, I would not chang emy reservation. I don't know what your experiences are with hotels; perhaps you're accustomed to staying in 5-star establishments. If so, then the GF might disappoint you. It's not in the same league as the Ritz or Plaza.

However, if you don't travel much and don't set your standards so high, then the GF will probably meet your expectations. The grounds are beautiful; this is the one Disney resort in which the common areas are so attractive that it's a chore to actually leave the hotel to go to a park!

It's also got four of WDW's best restaurants, making it the only Disney resort in which I'd be totally comfortable eating for the length of stay: Citricos, Grand Floridian Cafe, Narcoosees, and, of course, Victoria & Albert's.

I don't doubt the bad reports some guests have posted. It happens. That's why the GF is not in the same league as the Ritz. That said, the service is consistently terrific, the rooms are lovely and fresh, and the restaurants wonderful. If you go in expecting 4 star service instead of 5 star, you'll have a fantastic time.

MermaidsMom
09-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Our experience has been very good and the resort has always been very clean.

EDITED: because my original post sounded cranky! I didn't mean to seem that way- I think it's all this hurricaine stuff!

samnbilly
09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
We've always had a wonderful time at the GF-some people nit pick. I love it there. We are splitting our stay this time because we always wanted to stay at the BC. Make the most of your OWN vacation-go in with an open mind and just have fun. Why let little things bother you-you're on vacation in Disney. Any day at Disney is a better day than no day at Disney. Its beautiful there and we've always encountered nice people and had a great stay.LOL

Cris
09-12-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by webray
We are at the GF..right now...main building (royal palm )concierge...and the report is not far from off base. I will never...ever..stay here again. The concierge staff is horrible, the offerings are not worth the huge price we are paying. Nobody here seems to care about anything. The balcony, yes..full of bird crap.

We have only eaten at V&A's so far..and that was spectacular as usual. The pool bathroom must have had a back up...so the closed sign was in the door all morning yesterday..people still using it..no one working on it though.

We have stayed at almost every disney resort..concierge floors/none concierge, villas, etc. We saved the GF until we could do..what we call doing it right..since it is disneys..."best" resort. Well...the GF is anything but top of the line for disney. Don't waste your money..choose something else.

would you mind giving some examples?

TwingleMum
09-12-2004, 10:30 PM
If your looking for a resort with no negative reviews, you won't find one. Thats the great thing about WDW there are many different resorts to suit many different tastes. I plan to stay at them all. Go with an open mind and give GF a chance to dazzle you. If you go around looking for problems, I'm sure you'll find them. Alot of life is in your attitude, be positive and if negatives should happen deal with it then. Let us know what your experience was like.

skiwee1
09-12-2004, 10:33 PM
I love Disney and everything that goes with it but I am sure they do things wrong sometimes. Why is it when someone posts a bad experience about a resort that everyone gets their panties in a wad? These folks are called nit picky, hard to please, difficult, and other not so nice terms. I DO believe that bad things can happen, yes even at WDW, and it has nothing to do with the person it is happening to. These boards are about giving opinions. The OP can get good and bad without resorting to nasty name calling. I don't hear one nasty comment being made at the people that have had great experiences there.

Cris
09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
If you don't believe the Ritz Carlton gets complaints you are kidding yourself. Go to tripadvisor some time and read the reviews.

Planogirl
09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
The Ritz Carlton may get complaints but I'm sure that they do their best to correct any problems quickly. I'm not saying that the Grand Floridian doesn't also but part of the problem seems to be people thinking of the Disney hotels as being on the same level as the Ritz. They aren't and thus shouldn't have to meet the same standards IMO.

Jandreas
09-13-2004, 12:18 AM
We had stayed at GF last Oct 2003 and was very disappointed.
The room smelled - we spoke with housekeeping and the front desk yet nothing was done, there weren't any other rooms available to switch to. We were staying with our DVC points, arrived on a weekend and couldn't contact DVC until Monday morning ( we kept on going up the management chain at GF with no success).
May 2004 we decided to give it another try.
As mentioned in the previous post, our balcony too was covered in bird stuff and filthy with cobwebs and spiders. The room was clean enough however the hotel did not have the specialness that it once protrayed.
We had previously stayed at GF in Sept 2000 and loved every minute of it. At that time I couldn't imagine another hotel experience better.
We are DVC members and usually come to Disney 3 or so times annually. We have stayed at all of the resorts and have come to like the Wilderness Lodge very much.
I wish GF would get back to the jewel that it once was.

Sammie
09-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by CarolA
If I were the OP this thread would not reassure me LOL!

I will say that my expectaions for the GF were that it would be a world class rosort based on Disney's adverstising.

It is very nice, it is NOT world class. At a World Class Resort people do not report bad service because it does not happen. We seem to be willing to give the GF a little slack since it's Disney.

I think if most posters stayed at the Orlando Ritz and then the GF they would see the difference in an instant. (Let's just start with Valet at the Ritz they race to your car at the GF you have to flag them down!)

I have not seen the advertising for the Grand to be a world class resort, but comparing it to the Ritz I don't think is a fair evaluation. Ritz hires and pays it's employees as if they worked at a 5 star resort. Disney hires its employees and pays them the same if they work at the Grand Floridian or All Star.

Maybe with Eisner leaving we will eventually see the return of the Disney employee that is valued and the employee that values their job.

currycook
09-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Interesting Thread and with some of the posts it makes me leary to stay at the GF. (Something I have always wanted to do). We have stayed at many of the WDW resorts and especially love the AKL and the WL and have never had a bad stay there. The only time we ever had a bad stay was a couple of times at the AS. When you pay so much I think it is fair to expect a lot.

MUFFYCAT
09-13-2004, 08:28 AM
We stayed there last month. I found no signs of wear, it's a beautiful hotel, with lovely rooms. The most comfortable beds!!
My only fault was that it isn't as friendly as the other Disney resort. We stayed concierge , the employees and even the people that were there seem like they didn't want to be bothered with anyone. We've stayed at the Polynesian and Yacht club and found that they were more relaxed and friendly there.
But it is a gorgeous resort. I'd go just to at least experience it.
Ever think of splittng your stay between 2 resorts?:D

CarolA
09-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Why shouldn't I expect the GF to be equal to the Ritz, Four Seanons or other top resort. Disney advertises it in such a way to indicate that it is in that level and the rates they charge are equal to the rates of those hotels. Disney calls it it's flagship and until it lost a Diamond did adverstise the top rating.... what they pay people really isn't my concern, it's Disney's. Why should I give them a break since it's "Disney"?

I was with a large group at the Ritz and they bent over backwards to address the few issues we had. When I asked for help at the GF, the CMs acted like it was just so hard to deal with "lowly" people like me so I now save them the trouble!

Now my room was beautiful and clean! (However, my room at most hotels is clean, so I don't really consider that a great accomplishment.)

harlock_jds
09-13-2004, 09:58 AM
people thinking of the Disney hotels as being on the same level as the Ritz. They aren't and thus shouldn't have to meet the same standards IMO

yes it should since disney wants the GF to be in the same league as the ritz and untill recently it was in the same level (or pretty close). If i was paying the extra for that level of service i'd be pretty ticked off about what others have reported. Yes you can 'just ignore it' but at the GF prices you shouldn't have to 'just ignore' ANYTHING.

to the OP if i was in your spot i would stay at the CR, Poly or BWI (if being close to the MK wasn't an issue) instead of the GF. You'll have just as good of a time without paying the premium for staying at the GF.

Snurk71
09-13-2004, 04:06 PM
When/where did Disney compare itself to the Ritz? Everything I see for the GF, Disney calls it its flagship resort - not comparing itself to others (that would very un-Disney like - acknowledging the outside), but to the other Disney resorts.

The GF isn't that much more expensive than the other Disney Deluxes with close theme park location (Poly, Cont, YC/BC, BWI). Disney charges a premium for these resorts mainly for their locations, dining options, and recreation/activity amenities. They're not charging the premium for a Deluxe because of a higher level of service.

Now, concierge service is charging for a higher level of service. And GF does seem to have the most negative comments regarding their on-site concierge service, compared to the other deluxe concierges.

marcij
09-13-2004, 04:21 PM
We've stayed at the Grand Floridian the last four years and don't want to stay anywhere else. We've always found the service to be excellent. Two years ago, my son left his Barney in the bed. It was rolled up in the sheets and taken off to the laundry. I called after we got back home, when I realized he was missing. I received a call from the head person in housekeeping each day while they were looking for him. After two days, they called with the good news that he had been found. I received him three days later via priority mail, with a nice apology note from housekeeping. The food in all the full-service restaurants is excellent and you just can't beat the location.

Go and have a great time!:earsgirl:

Cinderella37
09-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Sammie
I have not seen the advertising for the Grand to be a world class resort, but comparing it to the Ritz I don't think is a fair evaluation.

Then they shouldn't charge Ritz-like prices. For the price that is paid at the GF, especially for concierge, great service and cleanliness should be the norm, not the exception. Go to the Ritz-Carlton's web site and compare prices for Club level at many of the beautiful locations around the world. In many cases, the Ritz is actually cheaper. Plus, WDW bills the GF as its "flagship" resort. The BWI doesn't get this distinction and the service, housekeeping, and grounds are far superior to the GF. So yes, people expect more at the GF when WDW is setting it apart from other Deluxe resorts.

And for the OPs who believe people complaining about the GF are nit-picking, what do you consider worth complaining over if not a filthy room and ignorant staff and management? For myself at least, these have not been isolated incidents at this resort.

harlock_jds
09-13-2004, 07:48 PM
The GF isn't that much more expensive than the other Disney Deluxes with close theme park location (Poly, Cont, YC/BC, BWI)

all of these are value rates non Concierge. lowest prices standard room to highest priced standard room taken direct from the WDW web page.

GF 339- 415
CR 239- 335 (note a TOWER room at the Cr is cheeper than the cheepest room at the GF)
Poly 299- 385
BWI 289-360

I consider the GF prices to be much more expensive (40-100 dollars per night more expensive) than the other deluxe resorts close to the parks. If they aren't charging a 'premium because of a higher level of service' what the heck are they charging a premium for?

Gabrielle
09-13-2004, 09:16 PM
At WDW, you can be pretty assured of above-average service and accomodations across the board.

This works out well if you stay Value and Moderates and not as well when you stay Deluxe.

That's why I stay at the Moderates but visit and dine at the Deluxes. ;)

harlock_jds
09-13-2004, 09:56 PM
That's why I stay at the Moderates but visit and dine at the Deluxes.

which is a good plan, I changed from a mod to a deluxe because I got the chance to stay at the deluxe I wanted to visit and dine at the most (AKL) for less than I had planed to spend at the mod. Not to mention the akl isn't too convenient to visit.

Mods are a great value, very nice resorts for a pretty good price. I'm sure i'll stay at POFQ or POR sometime in the future.

Sammie
09-13-2004, 10:52 PM
I am sure people have had complaints about the Ritz. And I am sure that some have valid complaints about the Grand Floridian.

However, I can personally say I have never had a bad stay at the Grand Floridian and we have stayed 3 years in a row. Our room was very clean, our building was in very good repair, and the staff was excellent.

I think it great when guests can relate both experiences. I just hate to see someone cancel a stay based on a few reviews. When just as many good reviews are available for the same resort.

Every resort at Disney gets bad reviews from someone. You will not be able to find a single one that has not been critized.

currycook
09-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Gabrielle stated - "At WDW, you can be pretty assured of above-average service and accomodations across the board.

This works out well if you stay Value and Moderates and not as well when you stay Deluxe.

That's why I stay at the Moderates but visit and dine at the Deluxes. "

Thanks for your view. I strongly agree with you on the moderates. I believe they are the best value and deal at WDW.

However I dont agree with you on the value resorts. I think its better to pay a little extra and go up to the moderates. I dont think you get that good of service at the values and you can sometimes have a bad stay there depending on the groups that may be near you.

On the Delux's, we have never had a bad stay at a Disney Delux and love them. We have never stayed at the GF because it is so expensive but we have enjoyed about 5 of the delux resorts and really love them and have only the best experience at them.

kozmo
09-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Stay at the Grand Floridian,you wont be sorry,but have a heart, the people in Florida have been thru a lot this past 2 weeks,maybe everything isnt right up to par ,as far the cm's go ,they just might be wore out from all the "fun" the hurricanes have brought them,they have homes and families to attend to also!!
Rest assured though,everyone and everything is not perfect,but i have been staying at G.F since it has opened and never been disappointed!!

:sunny: Just Do It!!

JamesMom
09-14-2004, 02:29 PM
My DH & I stayed in the Honeymoon/conceirge room in the main building for four nights during our FT Wedding May 2001. After staying in a standard room at the Bellagio Las Vegas - GF did not compare in features and price. The GF view was wonderful (castle view) and the conceirge was convenient and the location for a Pavilion wedding couldn't be beat. But, at $700 a night, it really wasn't worth it to us. It is a beautiful hotel, but we plan on just visiting in the future.

JamesMom
------------------------
Planning Trip #8
ASMu - Dec 9-14
(yes, for 1 night at GF Garden View we paid for all 5 at AS!)

tiggerwannabe
09-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Would these help?

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/photos/data/530/105011_resize-med.jpg

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/photos/data/530/105017_resize-med.jpg

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/photos/data/530/105018_resize-med.jpg

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/photos/data/530/105010_resize-med.jpg

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/photos/data/530/105007_resize.jpg

I stayed there in May, IT IS ALL THAT and then some!
~Even the lamp was impressive~

Snurk71
09-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Regarding pricing versus a Ritz or Four Seasons, give me the location of one that is less than 5 minutes away from a theme park. Again, Disney charges a premium for the deluxe real estate. And the golden rule in real estate is location, location, location. That's why the deluxes in general charge a premium.

Regarding GF vs. other deluxes, I think the GF does have some offerings that the other deluxes don't have. GF has a character breakfast and dinner option, a 24 hour quick place, and three very high quality restaurants on-site (including the however highly rated V&A's). No other resorts has that many options. Also, compare the common areas of the GF to the other deluxes. Lobby - GF is much more ornate and impressive. Grounds - from what I've seen, GF has the best grounds.

So I think there is a 10% - 15% difference in offerings at the GF compared to the other deluxes for the 10% - 15% higher price.

Cinderella37
09-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Snurk71
Regarding pricing versus a Ritz or Four Seasons, give me the location of one that is less than 5 minutes away from a theme park. Again, Disney charges a premium for the deluxe real estate. And the golden rule in real estate is location, location, location. That's why the deluxes in general charge a premium.

Some people would think that being on a world class beach (St. Thomas, Jamaica) or one of the best golf courses in the world (Hawaii) is much better than being on the grounds of a theme park. How about Central Park, steps away from Fifth Avenue? Real estate is pricier in these locations than at a man-made (however wonderful we feel it is) theme park. You're talking some of the most amazing vacation destinations in the world. That definately doesn't account for the price difference.

For many vacationers, theme parks are not the be-all, end-all of vacation destinations. What about being minutes away from history and cherished monuments in places like Rome, Athens and Paris? Many of these superbly luxorious hotels are cheaper than the GF and I don't think one can compare a theme park to the Coliseum. I've been having to justify my vacation choice to the people who take these sorts of vacations rather than theme park vacations for years. Though I adore WDW, I don't think this type of real estate can hold up.

harlock_jds
09-14-2004, 09:09 PM
No other resorts has that many options.

i'm pretty sure the CR has all of that too ;) , but to each their own. personally the GF wold be the last place i'd want to stay at disney,even if money was no object. it just doesn't suit me very well.

Gabrielle
09-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by currycook
Thanks for your view. I strongly agree with you on the moderates. I believe they are the best value and deal at WDW.

However I dont agree with you on the value resorts. I think its better to pay a little extra and go up to the moderates. I dont think you get that good of service at the values and you can sometimes have a bad stay there depending on the groups that may be near you.

On the Delux's, we have never had a bad stay at a Disney Delux and love them. We have never stayed at the GF because it is so expensive but we have enjoyed about 5 of the delux resorts and really love them and have only the best experience at them.

Hi Currycook!

I totally agree with you!! :D I think the moderates are a great deal and worth every penny to upgrade from a Value.

Now, I don't feel the same about upgrading to a Deluxe. That pesky law of diminishing returns kicks in. :)

However, in defense of the Deluxes, I do love them. I love that they're there at WDW -- I think they're beautiful. When I can get a code, I treat myself at a few nights at a Deluxe. I've stayed at all of them except BWI, BC and AKL.

I think what they lack is that little something extra in the way of personal service. And, by that, I guess I mean when a guest has a (reasonable) problem, it's taken care of. Pronto. No questions asked. I don't think WDW is consistent in that regard - although there are wonderful exceptions.

A bad day at WDW is still better than a day anywhere else...

:D

skiwee1
09-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by harlock_jds
i'm pretty sure the CR has all of that too ;) , but to each their own. personally the GF wold be the last place i'd want to stay at disney,even if money was no object. it just doesn't suit me very well.
So does the Poly! I also think the grounds at the Poly put the GF gardens to shame.

jadejazzkayla
09-15-2004, 01:05 AM
i've stayed at gf concierge (sp). i don't think we could do any better....every time i go back to wdw....we go there and my heart melts....

Del
09-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Thank you everyone for writing --this has been interesting reading. Now for my input....I would still like to try GF, maybe not conc. ...I love the CR --don't rule it out....I love the Tiki Birds....it is one of our don't miss attractions.

Del

micmacmissy
09-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the info, I'm the original poster on this and never have I generated so many replies! Thanks!

So now one questions remains......WHAT is tiki birds????

kpossible
09-15-2004, 04:52 PM
I think that any hotel you stay at, a motel 6 or GF, you should be able to expect it to be clean and the staff should be friendly and helpful. That is what the hotel business is. They are not curing cancer or building rocket ships, they make their money by taking care of their guests. So I can see why someone who pays $300+ a night is upset to have grouchy cm's or a dirty room. Any hotel who can't meet this basic standard needs some serious work. I don't know how disney can let this slide.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
09-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Some people would think that being on a world class beach (St. Thomas, Jamaica) or one of the best golf courses in the world (Hawaii) is much better than being on the grounds of a theme park. How about Central Park, steps away from Fifth Avenue? Real estate is pricier in these locations than at a man-made (however wonderful we feel it is) theme park. You're talking some of the most amazing vacation destinations in the world. That definately doesn't account for the price difference.

For many vacationers, theme parks are not the be-all, end-all of vacation destinations. What about being minutes away from history and cherished monuments in places like Rome, Athens and Paris? Many of these superbly luxorious hotels are cheaper than the GF and I don't think one can compare a theme park to the Coliseum. I've been having to justify my vacation choice to the people who take these sorts of vacations rather than theme park vacations for years. Though I adore WDW, I don't think this type of real estate can hold up. [/QUOTE]

Some people do think those destinations are much better than WDW, and they should go to those great places. (I personally think it is much more than a "theme park", but I digress.) But just because real estate is pricier in those locations, doesn't mean that is the reason for a price difference. The reason there is a price difference between the GF and the others is that people will pay for it! If the market will bear it , Disney will continue to charge that rate.

It doesn't matter what the hotels in Rome, Athens, and Paris charge. This type of real estate will hold up, it has for years and will continue to. Because people are still staying there and will continue to do so.

I don't think you can compare the GF to a Ritz-Carlton or other top-of-the-line chain resort/hotel. That type of place caters to a certain clientele. The WDW customer, even at the GF, is a different crowd. Many, many more children, a slightly more informal atmosphere, a generally less wealthy group.

I have stayed there and we enjoyed ourselves and had a positive experience. Having said that I would not tolerate a room that wasn't clean. I have changed rooms immediately after check in due to an unacceptable situation and was very happy with the customer service and attentiveness that I got. That was at the CR.

Cinderella37
09-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM
[B
But just because real estate is pricier in those locations, doesn't mean that is the reason for a price difference. [/B]

I agree about the real estate factor. I was responding to another poster who was giving that reason for the GF charging as much as places like the Ritz-Carlton and the Four Seasons. That doesn't make sense, IMHO.