PDA

View Full Version : I'm bringing my Starbucks, but where's the Half n Half?

bop28
09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
We hate the coffee @ WDW and so this time we are bringing our own Starbucks ground coffee for the in room coffee makers(I heard you could request these @ POR), but now I need a source of cream or 1/2 and 1/2. Can I get some from the food court or restaurants, or do I now need a refrigerator in my room and a stop at store before we get there? A lot of trouble for a good cup of coffee!!

crisi
09-09-2004, 04:58 PM
We buy it at the store, but we are DVCers, so the fridge isn't a problem. I think I'd buy it and just keep it on ice in a small cooler - even the room ice bucket will work. The DVC resorts all have a few grocery staples in their gift shops (pricey, but how much half and half will you use?) if you don't want a complete stop. Or use the shelf stable kind you can bring from home. Another thought is to used condensed milk (yum! Thai coffee) from a can.

Some people around here get a little anxious at the thought of taking things you aren't entitled to. Technically, the half and half at the food court is being paid for by people buying their (bad) coffee at the food court. You need to decide on your own ethics in this case. For me, usually the food court is too far away to bother with for cream regardless of the ethics involved- Disney resorts don't tend to be small and I want my coffee faster than that. And the restaurants - I really don't want creamers sloshing around in my backpack threatening to make my jacket smell like sour milk for the rest of the vacation.

jann1033
09-09-2004, 09:37 PM
they are supposed to be putting fridges in at all mods and deluxes so depending on when you are going it may be done for you!

oogieboogie
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Sam's club has a box of individual creamers (those little containers like at the restaurants)

This guy at work always buys them - they come in a box of 100 containers - and they don't need refridgeration.

Maybe you could go to Walmart or a grocery store and find something like that.

wanna-b-Tink
09-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by oogieboogie
Sam's club has a box of individual creamers (those little containers like at the restaurants)

This guy at work always buys them - they come in a box of 100 containers - and they don't need refridgeration.

Maybe you could go to Walmart or a grocery store and find something like that.

I was going to mention the individual creamers at Sam's as well. I keep them on hand at home. They are really good ones - International Delight French Vanilla. I just bought some last week.

erinch
09-10-2004, 11:24 PM
I bring my own starbucks, but fortunately drink it with skim, which I buy at hte food court and a little sprinkle of fat free vanilla creamer, which I bring as well

LuvindisCruiser
09-11-2004, 04:32 PM
I have seen the individual coffee creamers at Wal-mart. They don't need refridgeration, and there are different flavors, I'm going to buy some for our trip to WDW and for our "wonder" coffee !!:wave:

tjmw2727
09-11-2004, 05:08 PM
If your renting a car or taking a towncar why not just stop at the grocery for some? We pick up coffee, milk, juice, snacks, soda, water and some easy sandwich stuff and a styrafoam cooler. Add some ice daily and you don't need to pay the 11.00 for a fridge. It works well for us as the girls like cereal for breakfast and the savings and convenience of just having it in the room is worth it.

TJ

Maddle
09-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Yeah - I would just bring a pint or a quart of my own, and keep it in the ice bucket.

or - you could buy some powdered creamer, but that's not as good a choice.

Maddle

WebmasterKathy
09-11-2004, 11:42 PM
I pack a 4 cup drip coffeemaker, filters, ground Starbucks, and a supply of powdered creamer...

It's worth every square inch it takes up in the luggage.

:D

Kristina
09-12-2004, 03:47 AM
We are coming in from Sweden and staying at the Pop, and really need a coffee solution. No car for us, but our towncar service will make a stop most likely at Publix. Never been there before, anyone know if we can we buy a coffee maker (cheapo) or an electric kettle? I've been looking for a kettle from here but not found one with a travel current switcher thingy, like I've seen before.

Will be picking up some of that yummy hazelnut creamer for the room, yum yummy delish it is :Pinkbounc also some milk for a change of pace. Got to have our creamer tho!

Also, when we are in the parks, since we love Starbucks type coffee (good coffee!) where can we get our fix? I'll drink practically anything as I'll need the caffine but I'd love a really good cup mid day, every day while we are out and about! Is there such a thing at the parks? We are first timers and any info is super appriciated ::yes:: !:Pinkbounc

WebmasterKathy
09-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Kristina-

Unfortunately, a good cup of coffee is hard to find at the parks. You'll find the yucky Nescafe almost everywhere. :( Ick, ick, ick... that dreck shouldn't even be CALLED coffee!

You can find Starbucks at the Dolphin resort (easy to get to from MGM and Epcot) and GREAT Kona coffee in french presses at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian resort (easy access from the Magic Kingdom). I suspect that there are probably places in the World Showcase where you can find good coffee, but I don't know where they are- France and Morocco come to mind...

Perhaps others will share their hidden jewels, places where REAL coffee can be found!

llrain
09-12-2004, 11:37 AM
I wonder if disney would realize what a killing they would make if they had some GOOD coffe....everyone seems to NOT LIKE
what they currently have and they dont even have flavored coffee..
Imagine us all not having to bring our own makers,creamers,milk, filters, etc. where we can goto the food court, walk upa counter
and get some good stuff...

think about it upgrade the coffee to flavors, starbucks brand or what have you...heck i would even settle for maxwell house at dis compared to the nescafe crap....
we all know that caffeine and coffee are addicting....Im addicted
and I know that if they did have some good stuff there then i would leave everything home for the convenience.....this means
more money in disneys wallet, right?

side note:
going from mass to florida taking 95...
imagine that you are not going out of the way off 95 if u were to stop at a rest area for a coffee...

well....past washington DC there isnt a single Dunkin Donuts
until ( at least in my case) u hit that little dunkin at the entrance to WDW where they have those shops and stuff...
This makes a LONG drive all that much longer...
We even stoped in South carolina once at a convenience store
and asked if there was a dunkin dounts nearby or soemwhere
and she replied with "whats dunkin donuts"
I just gave up at that point.

WebmasterKathy
09-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I think Dunkin Donuts is a regional thing, llrain.

I've never had Dunkin Donuts coffee, and a quick search on their website shows only 3 locations within a 50 mile radius of me (and I'm right in the middle of the Dallas/Ft. Worth area).

Sounds like there are tons of locations in the Northeast, but Dunkin Donuts is not going to be very well known in all parts of the country...

sleepydog25
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Well, if Bop28 is like me, then those little creamer boxes and packets won't do because that stuff tastes worse than watered down coffee. Ever read what's in them? It ain't natural, let me tell you! :jester: Half-and-half should be easy to keep, as several suggested, by simply using ice in your bucket and replenishing it every day. Keep in mind, however, that half-and-half is more stable than milk due to its high cream content, so if you can find a reasonably cool place near a vent even, it should keep for a few days. Of course, if you're really a masochist for calories, just go with plain cream--that stuff keeps longer and much easier than milk or half-and-half! As for coffee, I'm even worse--I've been known to bring my own grinder, whole beans, coffee maker, AND half-and-half to get a fix. Good luck! pirate:

dcg0317
09-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Is it the coffee they use or the water!! I know the first day we where there I used tap water, what a mistake, the next morning I used bottle water, better but not like home. I also used whole milk from the food court and kept it on ice.

jann1033
09-12-2004, 02:44 PM
they are putting free fridges in at the mods and deluxes so you probably won't need to worry about the ice bucket thing

amylovesdisney
09-12-2004, 04:34 PM
When we visited last spring, we took our Starbucks coffee & picked up milk but didn't even think about filters. The coffee supplied for you comes in a all-in-one packet so filters are not usually provided in the room.

We called Mouskeeping and the sweet young lass told us that we caught her just in time as she only had 3 filters left and they would now be ours! She gave us the impression that they have filters on hand only if someone leaves some behind. Other than that, you are out of luck.

Better yet, our very last trip, DH took his Starbucks combo french press/coffee tumbler. Dripped the water through the coffeemaker to make it nice & hot, poured into his french press and voila! He was even able to take it with him, hot & fresh!!!

Kristina
09-13-2004, 01:44 AM
Yes it's strange that Disney hasn't figured out how much people love a really good cup now and then. I guess everyone buys the nescafe stuff because they just must have some no matter what. I would though pay extra of course for some designer stuff, every day! Now as far as water is concerned, we are bringing one or two bottles of bottled with us to the parks then buying after that, but in the room, for the coffee? I hadn't thought of that! I guess it would make a difference in the taste. Right now I've just woken up and am enjoying a cup, but we have lovely water here where we live. I'm not sure if it's hard or soft water, but everyone here just chooses mostly one brand (Zoega's) because of the water it will be brewed in, and folks up north choose another. I was planning on bringing some of ours with us but...wonder if it would be the best bet?

There is so very much to think about when planning a Disney vacation!!! :crazy:

erinch
09-13-2004, 02:50 PM
if you're only a "medium" connoisseur, like me, then the water out of the tap in the resorts is adequate, as long as i've got the french roast starbucks and not the underpowered stuff they leave in the rooms. may not be perfect, but it's much better

bru_ellman
09-13-2004, 05:13 PM
I've had a running dialog with WDW Customer Service re: the coffee over the last 8 months or so. It seems that their research shows that "most" guests actually like the NesCafe (tm) coffee, though the CM who called me (Yes, an actual, very nice person CALLED) admitted that he, at best, was "used" to the NesCafe.

Anyway, the best coffee in the parks that I've found, and it's VERY good :smooth: , considerably better then Starbucks (tm),is at Starring Rolls in MGM-Disney Studios. Starring Rolls is just behind The Hollywood Brown Derby and also has excellent baked goods. Definitely worth going out of your way for.

Kristina
09-16-2004, 02:55 AM
Thanks! I'll now be giving Starring Rolls a try, and have noted it in my itinerary on MGM days so that I don't forget! :flower:

cranbiz
09-16-2004, 07:13 AM
There are more Dunkin Donuts opening in Fla than one would thing. I can't speak about along I95 as I haven't done that route for quite a while (but will be doing it much more often as I have just bought a second house in Deltona)

There is a DD in Lake Mary off of 17-92 and one just off of I4 in Orange City (Exit 111).

If someone knows about others along I95, post away as I would love to know.

Praise2Him
09-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I know that there are Dunkin Donuts all over Georgia, because I'm from Alabama (don't have any here) and everytime I go to Atlanta I have to stop at DD and get coffee and donuts. I'm not sure where they are along the highway to Disney, however, but maybe some of our GA friends can help.