PDA

View Full Version : Disney After A Hurricane

AndyMcV
09-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Gang

I've been looking at some of the latest photos at Disney after a hurricane and it looks like nothing really changes. Is Disney a really safe place to be during a hurricane? Has anything ever been seriously damaged there or anyone seriously hurt after a hurricane?

I'm not trying to be glum here but some of the pictures I've seen and from the news showing Florida, some places have been devistated.

I've never been in or even seen a hurricane and I just wondered what it would actually be like if I was ever at Disney at the same time.

A.

2x_dis_dad
09-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Doesn't Disney make its own Electricity and water? I am sure if the power goes out in Orlando, Disney isn't affected much. I am suree they lose some tress and stuff but they are prepared for it.

StitchGirl
09-09-2004, 01:37 PM
I was there after Charley, and Disney bounced back amazingly fast. The buildings are very structurally sound, and seem to be very hurricane resistant. The horticulture did not fare as well, and a lot of trees were destroyed, or completely ripped from the ground (the ground in Florida is very sandy, and it doesn't take much to rip it out.)

That said, the grounds crew did an amazing job of getting all of that cleaned up/ fixed very quickly, trying to save as many of the trees as possible. The only remnants a day later were some of the larger trees that were not easy to remove (or can be replanted).

The biggest difference was the fact that a lot of employees were allowed to stay home if their homes were damaged-- this limited some of the transportation, and AK was closed the day after Charley because of this. The other CMs were great, though!

StitchGirl
09-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 2x_dis_dad
Doesn't Disney make its own Electricity and water? I am sure if the power goes out in Orlando, Disney isn't affected much. I am suree they lose some tress and stuff but they are prepared for it.

They do have their own power plant, but it can only power about half of everything that is powered in the entire resort.

dzneelvr
09-09-2004, 01:38 PM
WDW is like a city unto itself with most of the infrastructure below ground.
VB on the coast go hit hard. Heard they will be closed through the end of September fixing all the damage. What a shame--that is a beautiful resort.
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

SomeSayImGoofy
09-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 2x_dis_dad

If they make their own water...I'd love to know the recipe!

Let's see: Open packet. Pour contents into 2 qt. pitcher. Add water to make 2 qts. Voila'!

;)

DisneyWisher
09-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by SomeSayImGoofy
If they make their own water...I'd love to know the recipe!

Let's see: Open packet. Pour contents into 2 qt. pitcher. Add water to make 2 qts. Voila'!

;)

LOL I think the OP meant they have their own water treatment plant. Disney is a good place to weather a hurricane because its in the center of the state. Most damage that you see is in cities that are on the coast (Naples, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Melbourne, Tampa, etc...) With Disney being further inland a hurricane loses some of its punch by the time it gets there.

Everyone be safe and pray Ivan loses his strength,
Shirley

KM2004
09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
The resort after francis was much like what was described right after charley. Structural damage was limited to a few lamp posts and fences, while the trees took a beating. A lot of them were pulled from the ground, with branches spewed all across the walkways.

goin2disneyagain
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
There were some trees down after Charley but that was about it. Remember that Orlando is not on the coast therefore it won't take the hit that coastal locations would.

safetymom
09-09-2004, 04:18 PM
WDW may be inland but there was lots of damage because of Charley in the area. Both hurricanes have hit parts of Central FL.

If you don't have to come stay home until after the hurricanes. Just because there hasn't been any damage to WDW doesn't mean it can't happen.

shesleuth
09-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi all ... we were at WL during Francis. I was not too sure I wanted to stay but my thrill-seeking hubie and son won the rock-paper-scissors. So I hunkered down and prepared for the worst. And was AMAZED.

There was a lot of strong winds and the rain came down in barrel fulls. But amazingly enough we did not hear much in the rooms ... would not have known it was storming outside had we not had the curtain opened. I was a bit nervous about a lamp pole that was outside our 3rd floor room so I asked at the front desk if we could be moved to a room closer in towards the main lodge. They were more than happy to accommodate our request and our new room seemed in a much more sheltered area. But my fears about the lamp post were for nothing ... it was still standing after two days of fierce winds and rain.

We never lost power during the storm ... which was good. My kids quickly would have gotten bored with playing games by flashlight ... which Disney delivered to each room. I also requested 4 more blankets and pillows so that we could be comfy ... not a problem. Delivered with a smile.

Great thing about staying in the WL was that all the rooms opened to a corridor instead of to the great outdoors like at the value and moderates. We could at least walk around the hotel and get to dining areas ... that make this two day experience doable in my book! I cannot imagine being stuck in 300 square feet!!

As a matter of fact, I did tell my dear hubie that IF we ever went to WDW during hurricane season again ... we would be staying in a resort that had corridors like the WL or Contemporary. But my preference is to stay clear of Florida during hurricane season ... while we were fine, I cannot believe we paid for the experience of being stuck in a hotel.

During the height of the storm, we were sent to our rooms and told to stay away from the windows. Thankfully, it was only four hours and just long enough for a nap.

The morning after Francis came through only Magic Kingdom and EPCOT were open. And both places were doing a hopping business ... it was Labor Day and the crowds did come out to the parks. The more popular rides had longer lines which was a major difference from the day before the hurricane ... there were no lines that day. It was a simple walk up and get on for all rides. And the best part for my kids was being told on Test Track that we could just re-buckle our seat beats for another ride ... they went three times in a row. I had my fill after two times!

Safe at home in Atlanta :sunny:

goofy4tink
09-09-2004, 06:13 PM
We were there with Charley and it was an incredibly safe spot to be in. Yes, we watched the news coverage telling us of the devastation thru central Florida. But, we based our info on what we saw at WDW! Wrong. When we took the towncar back to the airport one week later, I was amazed at the remaining damage. Incredible destruction. Central Florida does take a good hit, I can tell you that. But, shesleuth, we never would have known we were in the middle of a cat. 4 hurricane if we hadn't opened the drapes!! Never lost power, dd watched Disney movies constantly that the resort kept playing. I wouldn't mind being stuck at WDW during a hurricaine again, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to have been off-site!!! There were CMs that still didn't have power on the day we left, 7 days after the storm.

A Mickeyfan
09-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by safetymom
WDW may be inland but there was lots of damage because of Charley in the area. Both hurricanes have hit parts of Central FL.

If you don't have to come stay home until after the hurricanes. Just because there hasn't been any damage to WDW doesn't mean it can't happen.
I have to ditto what you are saying... Ivan has just destroyed 90% of an Island that never gets hurricanes. It managed to destroy a concret building. Before Ivan, no hurricane has ever gotten to the strenght of a cat 4 or 5 as low down as it was. If I can find the link were I read it on a weather site I will post it for you all to read. Just because it hasn't happend does not mean it cannot!!! Don't be fooled with a false sence of security.....oh it will never happen can turn into OMG it happened.

A Mickeyfan
09-09-2004, 10:28 PM
here is a link from my local paper (hope it works) about Ivan... this isn't the exact one I was looking for but explians some of what I said.
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040909/NEWS01/40909003/1001

jann1033
09-09-2004, 10:29 PM
i also read Charley destroyed a lot of cypress gardens and ( is it Bok, can't remember the name) tower gardens also. the article brought out that most places don't have the manpower or resourses disney has so take lots longer to recover.

gigi1313
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by shesleuth

The morning after Francis came through only Magic Kingdom and EPCOT were open. And both places were doing a hopping business ... it was Labor Day and the crowds did come out to the parks. The more popular rides had longer lines which was a major difference from the day before the hurricane ... there were no lines that day. It was a simple walk up and get on for all rides. And the best part for my kids was being told on Test Track that we could just re-buckle our seat beats for another ride ... they went three times in a row. I had my fill after two times!

Safe at home in Atlanta :sunny:

you saw lines the day after (monday 9/6)? where were you? epcot was absolutely empty! we walked right in to princess storybook breakfast w/out ps's and garden grill for dinner (again w/out ps's)... every ride was a walk-on... quite often we would stop and look around and see no other people! it was amazing and eerie at the same time!

disneydude91
09-10-2004, 04:55 AM
We originally were only going to stay 7 nights but I rescheduled our flight back to LAX for the following Wed. to give her time to blow over. Family at home could not understand why we were not leaving early -Give Up WDW Early!! They should now us better than that. Our room was #5030-great view of CR and Monorail and MK. Although we are back home in CA. we are still thinking and praying for all in FL effected by these Hurricanes. I never saw so much rain and wind-WOW!! We didn't even get the worst of it-we really lucked out. When we would go down to Roaring Fork we were snapped at a few times and told to hurry up and get back up to our rooms. Then you would find out two hours later that there was a huge party going on again in the lobby. How did all those people find out it was ok to come out to play? All in all I would choose to stay at WL again regardless of the weather.

I'm glad you all made it home safe and sound.::MinnieMo

Shannon