PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having luck cancelling flights or hotels for this weekend?


ncgolfer
09-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I've been on the phone with US Air who wants $1200.00 to change flights (only 450.00 originally) and havne't got thru to disney yet. I'm not willing to take the chance of flying my 16 month old into the projected path of a hurricane. Whether it hits or not I don't wanna take the chance with a little one. We fly out on Sunday at 12:00 and I'm worried.

Anyone in the same situation.

AdventurerKat
09-09-2004, 11:24 AM
When Frances was on its way, I originally called my airline about what they would do and they said I would have to pay the change fees. By 3:00 that afternoon, they had changed to no fees to change or cancel. That was Wednesday of last week. So they could change it if it looks like it will head to Florida. I would keep trying back.

RoLaren
09-09-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm going through that right now. About to call Northwest and try to get ressies for November instead of leaving tomorrow morning.

Like you golfer, DH and I are just not willing to fly our 8 year old into a potential danger situation like that. The CM I talked to at WDW was, frankly, very very worried about Ivan :(

I cannot believe we lucked into being able to get a room discount for November with a Pin #discount that they had on file for me; so we'll only be paying 5 dollars a night more than we would this week and not lose our deposit! That should pick DH's chin up off the floor a bit.

Our airfare was so cheap that we're going to lose about 300.00 on this, but I can't risk my daughter or my senior/partially disabled dad over a vacation. I just can't.

Will let you all know how it works out!

RoLaren
09-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Wow, were we lucky!

Not only were we able to re-book our CR wing room for November, but we were able to apply the BAH code with pin number they had on file for me (whew!) they also transferred our deposit so we won't lose it! I can't believe it!

Also, we totally lucked out with NWA, something that NEVER happens for us! They gave us full credit of our ticket price, and only charged us a 25 dollar per person change fee. that NEVER happens anymore! Apparently it was a special thing on the sale they had on our tickets back in July.

Also, my ticket was paid by voucher. I have the balance of the voucher still, and they'll take the change fee out of it! So, we were able to rebook for four people (mine changed for free, including the change fee due to my voucher) and including the difference in the fare to go in November (which was 85.00 per person) we only have to pay a total of 320.00 to change our trip!

I was able to cancel our ground trans too (within the window for refund, so that's good too). So all we are going to lose by moving the trip is 320.00. Well, that and my Dad's AP will expire before we go back, but what can you do?

We can live with that, and especially with knowing that we're still going, it's just been delayed.

Now I'm just praying that because we moved our trip, that FL will be spared Ivan altogether.

I hope other people have good luck changing their tickets too!

PlutoPony
09-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Aren't we at least 5 days from Ivan hitting land in the U.S.? (haven't looked at today's forecast yet). If so, it's probably too early for the airlines to switch to a liberal change policy. I know it looks bad for the southeastern US now, but there's a lot of time for this thing to change it's mind. In another couple of days, I suspect the airlines will be more willing to change your flights (assuming Ivan is still a threat).

harlock_jds
09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
wait untill it's more of a sure thing that FL is going to get hit. While it's projected to hit FL next week it very easily could change course and hit mexico, texas, NO (let's hope not it could distroy NO if it hit full on) etc, which is why you can't get free cancelations right now.

Trust me if it comes closer to time and it still looks like it's on course you'll be able to cancel everything with no charges.

RoLaren
09-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Unfortunately for us, we couldn't wait any longer as we were to fly in tomorrow morning. I'm thrilled with how it worked out for us though, with the exception of the airfare change and the fact I can't get PSB ressies (still hoping on a cancellation) all in all, we did okay.

I would wait till closer if my trip were in the next week. But since our time ran out, I think we did pretty well and we're content with our decision to put the trip off, regardless of what Ivan may do now. At least we can relax and breathe finally knowing what we're doing.

harlock_jds
09-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Sorry I didn't realize you had to choose today... If I was in that situation Id have a tough choice but Id likely go anyways (I need a break from work so much that I would be willing to risk it) but my situation is a bit different.

ncgolfer
09-10-2004, 08:42 AM
US Air finally starting allowing changes yesterday at 4:00 pm. I changed everthing to leave next Saturday the 18th instead of this Sunday. Only cost me an additional 6.00 for the rental car. Now I hope Ivan misses all land and I postponed for nothing.

Charlie

chipscinderelly
09-10-2004, 11:54 AM
American Airlines is allowing changes per the information on their website to all Florida locations.

arizonacolbys
09-10-2004, 12:33 PM
I looked at Continental's website this am - they are allowing you to change your flights to a list of potentially affected cities on any flights thru 9/14/04 without any penalties if you reschedule by November 15 (I think that was the date ;) .)

We are scheduled to fly out on Continental the morning of 9/15 - so, I'm hoping that means our flight won't be affected. Still way too soon to tell, though. :)

Dznypal
09-10-2004, 03:52 PM
We leave one month from Sun

Does anyone know if Ivan has any "friends" brewing" out in the ocean.

How far out can any see whats out there?

RoLaren
09-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Northwest finally waived the change fees, but that didn't help us because they are requiring you complete travel by September 30th and we're not going until November.

But at least they gave us full credit for the price of the fare toward our rescheduled trip! I'm counting my blessings on that.

Still can't believe we're back to a 60 day (approx) countdown! But that's nothing compared to what poor FL is bracing for :(

Yardbird
09-10-2004, 10:48 PM
We were supposed to fly into Tampa this Sunday. I called Air Tran today, and rescheduled our trip to the end of October. Due to Ivan, they waived the change fee. Then I called WDW to cancel/reschedule. I am disappointed, but more concerned for my family who lives in Florida than I am for a postponed vacation. :(

Mish
09-10-2004, 11:57 PM
We were supposed to leave in the morning, I decided I just couldn't do it. American Airlines and Disney waved their fees so I figured we will just go next Saturday