PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm supposed to be at DW on Saturday!!

DisneyMagicRocks
09-01-2004, 05:28 PM
In early May we cancelled our DW trip two days before because my kiddos got sick. We are supposed to arrive in Orlando on Saturday evening. Our reservations at CBR start on Sunday. I called and they told me that they still have my reservations but are not taking any new ones for stays up to the 6th. We weren't planning on going to the parks until Monday. Would you still go?

CMKN
09-01-2004, 05:46 PM
I suggest that you still go - why the last minute desire to not go? The folks here can give you great tips on where you can stay last minute that wont burn a whole in your pocket! I say go for it - you only live once and if there is no major set back - go live it up!

enchantedpixiedust
09-01-2004, 06:10 PM
I'm guessing the last minute change would be because of Frances. I might wait out Saturday and see how Sunday is. Are you flying? If so it might not even be an option.

I'm sorry about your plans. :(

madge
09-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CMKN
I suggest that you still go - why the last minute desire to not go? The folks here can give you great tips on where you can stay last minute that wont burn a whole in your pocket! I say go for it - you only live once and if there is no major set back - go live it up!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W+GIF/012053W.gif

I'd call this a major setback.

**DisneyMagicRocks....this stinks for you & your family :( If you're driving, I'd wait it out and see what really happens with this storm. If it's as bad as they say it could be, you might be better off postponing again.

good luck!

mad4themouse
09-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Disney World will always be there. Don't put your family in harm's way if you can avoid it. Keep an eye on the weather and cancel if it looks like there's any possibility that you will be flying into the storm. I know it will be a major disappointment by why take the risk?

DisneyMagicRocks
09-01-2004, 06:37 PM
We were leaving on Friday afteroon and probably staying overnight somewhere in TN. I've been comtemplating if we should drive there and then Saturday morning call DW and find out what the status is. This was supposed to be my kiddos first visit so they would be bum a second time round. If we don't go we can go next year. DH has to use his vacation time next week. It's so hard. My brain says one thing and my heart says another.

mad4themouse
09-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Here's a link to the Orlando Weather (http://b.www.orlandoweather.com/index.html) . Keep an eye on it and read about how the locals are preparing. It may help you with your decision.

Tinkerbell04
09-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I agree with the above posters...keep an eye on it and you may want to stay somewhere along the way for an extra day or so....whatever you decide...stay safe and good luck.

crazelion
09-01-2004, 11:23 PM
I would not because the danger involve with the hurricane. My family safety comes first instead going to WDW.

I have go family in Florida they is coming here to wait out the hurricane because they is scare to death.

Rebeccapaige!
09-02-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry that is hard. I don't think i'd go with the hurricane if it passed and all was ok you could. but most likely a few days late. Also if you cancelled you could always take a little mini vacation to Tennesee and see how things are going in Florida. Sorry to hear about this. we took a week long vacation to TN and had a great time!
Becky, Paige and Hailey
:earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

RoyalCanadian
09-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by CMKN

I guess ignorance really is bliss.

mamalle
09-02-2004, 05:33 AM
this hurricane is not to be taken lightly and Im sorry it is happening on your magical weekend. I have lived here in south fla all my life and Im really scared about this one. I wouldnt be in this state unless I had too- we were ready to leave and head up to stay with family in TN but as a nurse I have to stay and work.I'm urging my husband to still take the kids and leave today. This is going to do major devastation and if you decide to come- just be prepared for the worst. God Bless.

here is our local news- its going to be hitting fla all weekend :(

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/

mad4themouse
09-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Please check the update on Frances on MouseSavers.com (http://www.mousesavers.com/hurricane.html#frances)

maggiew
09-02-2004, 09:23 AM
This was on the DIS news area:

News regarding Walt Disney World and Walt Disney Travel Company Bookings

Due to Hurricane Frances, a temporary cancellation and "No Show" policy has been adopted for guests who have booked reservations through Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Travel Company (agents that have booked through another tour operator should contact that company for its specific cancellation policy - Please note that Dreams Unlimited Travel does not have a cancellation policy beyond Disney's).

"No Show" penalties will be waived for any Guest arrivals between Friday, Sept. 3 and Monday, Sept. 6, 2004.

Guests arriving between Wednesday, Sept. 1 and Monday, Sept. 6, 2004 can have their reservations rebooked for another time period and apply the existing deposit/payment, or cancel and have the deposit/payment fully refunded.

Maggie

mrskay9
09-02-2004, 09:24 AM
that I'm sorry. I know the feeling of being torn about whether to go or not. I know you'll make the right decision...as hard as it might be.

Go AWAY FRANCES!

madge
09-02-2004, 10:03 AM
another site with a wealth of WDW hurricane related info
http://allearsnet.com/news/hurricane2.htm

swilshire
09-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by DisneyMagicRocks
We were leaving on Friday afteroon and probably staying overnight somewhere in TN. I've been comtemplating if we should drive there and then Saturday morning call DW and find out what the status is. This was supposed to be my kiddos first visit so they would be bum a second time round. If we don't go we can go next year. DH has to use his vacation time next week. It's so hard. My brain says one thing and my heart says another.

Come on down. We'd be glad to entertain you in our fair state if things go sour in Florida. There is a huge event in Knoxville TN Saturday night that would be fun for the family called Boomsday. There are all sorts of activities all afternoon, then a giant fireworks show at 9:30 PM. To give you an idea of the quality of the fireworks, any time my husband wants to skip the fireworks at Disney World and leave early, he mentions that Boomsday is much better.

Then you could visit Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg or head over to Nashville until things settle down from Frances.

Rooms might be hard to come by right in Knoxville because it's a UT football weekend, so plan accordingly.

I hope Frances moves out to sea. I'm worried about the timeshares we own in Orlando. Right now, it looks bad.

Sheila

unfreshdiva1
09-02-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm a bit worried as well as my last trip was during hurricane Charley (waited it out at the Sheraton Safari Hotel) and now I'm leaving on Friday for the 4-day weekend (staying at Pop Century). I'm hoping things will be okay, but making trip anyway.

beavismom
09-02-2004, 10:13 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but please don't come. This is going to be an ugly, ugly storm. It is twice the physical size of Charley and moving much slower. No matter where this makes landfall in Florida, the Orlando area is going to be feeling hurricane force winds for almost 24 hours. In addition to that they are forcasting that we may get in excess of 20 inches of rain. Power outages will be even more widespread than Charley and it will take longer to fix.

There are already many stations out of gas, stores are running low on all supplies and we are almost 2 days out. Everything was sold out last time.

If you cancel, your room can be booked by someone who is leaving the coastal area. Take your family somewhere else that will be safer and more pleasant.

mamalle
09-02-2004, 11:26 AM
I agree beavismom.

CMKN
09-02-2004, 12:25 PM
DUH I feel like a putz - How could I not realize that Frances was headed to Florida! I apologize for not making the connection! Of course I would not put safety over a vacation and I apologize again that it appeared that way. I agree with all the other posters and say throw caution to the wind and stay safe.

linnettevl
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
I am in the same boat as the OP , I had to cancel my vacation last week because of sickness and yesterday the airline called me to tell me to reschedule my flght for Sunday because of the Hurricane, now it looks like Sunday will be a no-no, I am from Puerto Rico and trust me I have seen quite few hurricane and this one is no joke, my husband is also due back to work, so if we do not make it now we will have to wait till next year. I do not want to put my family in any kind of harm, but my husband(never experience a hurricane) still says that we can go. I am waiting one more day to decide....

Linnette:earsgirl:

LMC
09-02-2004, 01:57 PM
I have always heard that WDW is its own intity. They may be up and running very quickly after Frances (Just as they were after Charley). If you decide to go on your trip, wait it out somewhere north until at least Saturday evening maybe Sunday a.m. Then call WDW to check on their status. THEN, if you go south, make sure you fill up your gas tank before you leave Alabama or Georgia; I imagine that stations will be running low due to evacuees and if any areas loose power, then people will be using gas for generators or the stations themselves may be w/o power, hence, no gas. I am sure that the major road ways will be cleared up 1-2 days after the storm. When is it projected to hit? I think I heard Friday night into early Saturday a.m. Those night time hurricanes are awful!!!!!

beavismom
09-02-2004, 02:52 PM
One of the main reasons they were up and running so quickly after Charley is because Charley moved completely through in less than 6 hours. This storm will take 24 to move through. We will also have to add in the flooding factor as some have forcast a possible 20+ inches of rain. I know Disney will do all they can, but I wouldn't put my families safety at risk.

floridagirrl2
09-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Don't come. This is a HUGE, violent storm and you don't want to be driving anywhere in Florida on Friday night or Saturday! The only reason we haven't left Florida is because we're not sure we could find accomodations for our animals.

If Frances decide to hit our area, we will have a few hours notice to pack up our animals and evacuate to the hospital where I work (seriously!). We live in an older frame house and it would never withstand 100+ mph winds, plus we have dozens of tall trees that could come right through our roof.

Up until 2 PM the day Hurricane Charley hit, it was projected to come right through our city--instead, we didn't even get any rain. Forecasters just cannot tell until several hours ahead of time exactly which way a hurricane will turn. So Florida will not be a safe place to be on Friday and Saturday.

videogal1
09-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Rebeccapaige!
. Also if you cancelled you could always take a little mini vacation to Tennesee

Dollyville, (sic. Dollywood) anyone?

swilshire
09-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by videogal1
Dollyville, anyone?

Actually, we call it DollyWORLD. My DD18 is in her third season working there. It's a pretty good job for a teen or retiree.

We always buy season passes and go once a month or so. I ain't WDW, but it is fun. We aren't predicted to get any of the remnants of Frances until Tuesday.

Sheila

crazelion
09-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Got Word that my family made out Florida is coming here for the Labor Day Weekend to ride hurricane.

Its be crowd at the house but at least I know everyone is safe.

tink2dw
09-03-2004, 04:42 AM
From www.MouseSavers.com Please read about the known Closers!!

Coming Soon: Hurricane Frances
Right now the exact path of Hurricane Frances is anyone's guess, but it will almost certainly affect Orlando, and it's potentially a much worse hurricane than Hurricane Charley.

If it follows its current track, Hurricane Frances may make land at Vero Beach in the afternoon on Saturday, September 4. It is a huge storm producing 125 mph winds (Category 3) and tremendous amounts of rain. Hurricane force winds extend outward from the center for up to 80 miles and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 185 miles.

Because of the size of this hurricane, even if the center does not pass through Orlando, the city will almost certainly be hit with heavy rain and winds. Orlando may experience hurricane-force winds and 10 or more inches of rain, which could cause severe flooding. It may take as long as 24 hours for Hurricane Frances to make its way across Florida (vs. only a few hours for the recent Hurricane Charley). That is a very bad thing because the slower the storm, the more damage and potential for floods.

This storm can only add to the existing problems in the Orlando area that were caused by Hurricane Charley. I know you will join me in hoping and praying that the hurricane calms down and/or veers off into the ocean without inflicting major damage.

If you are planning to visit Walt Disney World this weekend, I strongly urge you to postpone your trip!

The Orlando airport will close as of noon on Friday, September 3, with no further flights in and out until after the hurricane passes and cleanup operations are complete. Domestic passengers holding reservations for flights prior to noon on Friday need to arrive 3 hours prior to their departure. The Hyatt Hotel at Orlando International Airport is booked and sold out. The airport is not an emergency shelter, so do not count on staying there!
Sanford Airport is already closed.

Almost all major airlines are allowing passengers who had planned to arrive in Orlando now through this weekend to rebook their flights without a change fee. You must rebook before your original travel date. Some airlines will refund your fare if you choose to cancel. If your flight has been cancelled due to the airport closing, they will refund your fare or allow you to reschedule without a fee. Contact your airline for exact details.
Orlando hotel rooms will be needed by those at the coast who will be evacuating inland. More than 2.5 million people have been ordered to evacuate coastal areas -- the biggest evacuation in Florida history. One local disaster agency estimated that there are only about 1,000 hotel rooms (out of a total 120,000) in Orlando still available. Disney is already dedicating a fair number of rooms to housing Cast Members who lost homes to Hurricane Charley, as well as other evacuees. Other area hotels are also housing evacuees, and in some cases are already operating at reduced capacity due to damage from Hurricane Charley. Guests staying at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground must be relocated to other hotels on property.

Disney has announced that "No Show" penalties will be waived for any guest arrivals between Friday, September 3 and Monday, September 6, 2004. Disney will waive change fees for guests scheduled to arrive September 1-6 who wish to reschedule vacations. Disney is no longer selling hotel rooms for September 3-6. If you need to reschedule, call the Disney Reservations Center now at (407) W-DISNEY.
Most non-Disney hotels are also waiving change fees for anyone who has decided not to arrive this weekend due to the hurricane, so call your hotel and check on that.
Priceline and Hotwire will allow you to cancel normally non-refundable hotel, rental car and airfare purchases and get a refund if you are scheduled to arrive in Orlando this weekend.
Local Closures: Schools in the Orlando area will be closed on Friday. The Kennedy Space Center will be closed on Thursday and Friday to allow its employees time to prepare their homes for the hurricane. Universal Orlando, SeaWorld and Discovery Cove will all be closing at 3:00 pm on Friday, September 3 and will remain closed on Saturday, September 4.
Walt Disney World Closures, Cancellations and Other News

Disney has announced that all four of its theme parks and both water parks will be open on Friday, September 3, but closing slightly early. Magic Kingdom will be open 9:00 am - 8:00 pm; Epcot's Future World will be open 9:00 am - 7:00 pm; Epcot's World Showcase will be open 11:00 am - 9:00 pm; Disney-MGM Studios will be open 9:00 am - 6:00 pm; Animal Kingdom will be open 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
All September 3-6 showings of Fantasmic! have been cancelled. Other parades, shows and fireworks are still scheduled to be offered on Friday.
Both of Disney's miniature golf courses (Fantasia Gardens & Winter Summerland) will be open on Friday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Pleasure Island will be closed on Friday.
Downtown Disney shops and DisneyQuest will be open until 6:00 pm on Friday.
Cirque du Soleil plans to present its 6:00 pm show, but has cancelled the 9:00 pm show on Friday.
The Electrical Water Pageant has been cancelled until further notice.
Disney plans to close all of its Orlando theme parks on Saturday.
Priority seatings will not be accepted for any resort dining location starting at dinner on Friday, September 3 and running through dinner on Sunday, September 5. Disney is not accepting bookings for meals in the theme parks on Saturday, September 4 or Sunday, September 5.
Restaurants in Downtown Disney are expected to be open until 9:00 pm on Friday.
The Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show at 9:30 pm on Friday, September 3 has been cancelled. All Hoop-Dee-Doo shows on Saturday, September 4 have been cancelled.
All Spirit of Aloha dinner shows have been cancelled for Friday and Saturday, September 3 and 4.
The Tom Joyner Family Reunion has been cancelled.
Disney Cruises are significantly affected by Hurricane Frances:

The current 7-night sailing of the Disney Magic has changed its ports to avoid the storm. Because of the closure of Port Canaveral, it will stay at sea until Monday, making it a 9-night cruise!
The 7-night September 4 sailing of the Disney Magic will be postponed to Monday, September 6 and will now be a 5-night cruise. Passengers on this sailing will receive a 40% rebate of the cruise fare, a $200 stateroom credit and 25% off a future cruise (through October 2005). Expect "surprise" ports, probably in the Western Caribbean.
The 3-night sailing of the Disney Wonder on Thursday, September 2 plans to depart as scheduled and will be routed around the hurricane, visiting the port of Cozumel. Because of the closure of Port Canaveral, it will stay at sea until Monday and this is now a 4-night cruise!
The 4-night September 5 sailing of the Disney Wonder will be postponed to Monday, September 6 and will now be a 3-night cruise. Passengers on this sailing will receive a 30% rebate of the cruise fare, a $100 stateroom credit and 25% off a future cruise (through October 2005). This cruise will not visit any ports.
Disney is waiving the rebooking fee for anyone who was scheduled to sail between now and September 5 and would prefer to reschedule their cruise. If you choose a more expensive sailing date, you will have to pay the difference in price, but you won't pay the extra rebooking fee.
The Canaveral Port Authority administrative offices will be closed on Thursday and Friday, and are not scheduled to reopen until Tuesday, depending on the storm path. All vessels must be moved out of the harbor by 10:00 am on Friday, at which point the port will close.
Brevard County (where Port Canaveral is located) is under a mandatory evacuation order for the Barrier Islands and manufactured homes.
Disney's Vero Beach resort closed at noon on Thursday, September 2. Those with reservations to check in this weekend will be contacted by Disney.

Hurricane Information Resources
Disney Information - (407) 939-4636
disneyworld.com Hurricane Update
disneycruise.com Hurricane Update
National Hurricane Center
Orlando Airport Press Releases
Airline Contact Numbers
Orlando CVB Hotel Availability Hotline (for evacuees needing a hotel room) - (407) 354-5555
Orlando Sentinel newspaper
WESH (Orlando NBC affiliate) - offers live web video of its broadcasts
WKMG Local 6 News
WFTV Channel 9 Eyewitness News

Gillian
09-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by crazelion
Got Word that my family made out Florida is coming here for the Labor Day Weekend to ride hurricane. Glad to hear it! I didn't realize the seriousness of this hurricane until I read about it here. We haven't been watching tv much lately.

Hugs & prayers to everyone in Florida!

n2mm
09-03-2004, 08:34 AM
OT

If anyone heads to Dollywood in Tennessee, don't forget to stop at the Disney Catalog Outlet in Piegon Forge, TN. I'm sure they'll be having a labor day sale and you get a Disney fix at the same time. (Just a little plug for the Disney Catalog Outlets).

epcotfan
09-03-2004, 08:37 AM
I agree with the others in regards to cancelling vacations. I was at WDW during Charley and we lost 2 days of our trip. The resorts were packed, food lineups were awful and transportation was iffy.
Florida doesn't need more tourists right now when so many need rooms to escape the hurricane.

DisneyMagicRocks
09-03-2004, 06:40 PM
We called and cancelled the trip yesterday. It just isn't worth putting my children at risk. On top of that how could we enjoy ourselves knowing that we will be surrounded by chaos. I pray that won't be the case. My prayers go out to everyone over there.

Thank you all for your responses. I knew in my heart of hearts that we wouldn't go, but I needed to read it at the same time. Do you know what I mean?

P.S- I have to go to that Disney Catalog Outlet!!

Lisa loves Pooh
09-03-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip DMR...Disney is closed tomorrow as that is when the effects of the storm will be starting to be felt. Sunday--there will still be some residual weather from Frances.

Though a difficult choice, I am sure, you made the right choice for safety.

I hope you can reschedule again soon ::yes::