PDA

View Full Version : SUPER Budget trip...could I get away with...????

Belle5
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
As some of you know, we have a BIG family and it's getting REALLY expensive to travel with our 6 kids so I have been searching the board for tips to put together a major budget trip for our family of 8. First, do you think anyone would notice if all of us would squeeze into one room at Pop Century? (My kids don't mind sleeping on the floor!) Secondly, I thought I could bring our super-sized George Foreman and grill each night in the room. (Mmmm...I can taste those garlic grilled tuna fillets now...) Thirdly, do you think that my 6 year old might pass for under three at the gate (he's only in the 50% in height for his age). I know the CM at the turnstile won't really believe he's under three...but surely they won't make a scene when they see how many other kids we have to pay for! I mean, c'mon....Disney doesn't need the money! Are there some good free breakfast buffets at off-property hotels we could sort of "slip into" unnoticed? I think someplace that's generally crowded so we wouldn't really be noticed would be best. We prefer hot breakfasts. (We'll have a car so driving off-property is not an issue. Closer is better, though;) ) It's really a hassle to leave the parks during the day just to cook in our room, so I really need some ideas for how to do lunch inexpensively. I was thinking that if I bought 2 double burgers at Pecos we could make about 6 big salads to go with them at the toppings bar and we could feed the family of 8 for, oh, about 12 bucks. Not too bad, eh? I know all you BUDGET minded people think just like me (always looking for a way to cut corners) so I'm sure you will be able to help me make this trip happen. I can't wait to see your ideas! Happy replies only, please!!!!:hyper:

ReneeQ
08-30-2004, 11:32 PM
You are HYSTERICAL!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Keli
08-31-2004, 12:16 AM
Oh my, when I read the first line of your post I thought you were legit and I was thinking "Oh no, this is gonna be ugly" lol! After the second line I realized it was a joke and by the end I was LOL!

jann1033
08-31-2004, 01:04 AM
really there's no need for the kiddos to sleep on the floor, if you are driving, take along some screws and a screwgun, a few sheets of plywood and 4 4x4s and a few 2x12s and make bunk beds for over the doubles! if need be you can bolt them to the walls ( just fill the holes with white toothpaste when you take them down and nobody will be the wiser ) i'd imagine you were going to take along air matresses for the pool anyway so they can just do double duty. if everyone pitches in it shouldn't take long to put together, probably not much longer than it will take you to get your homemade spagetti sauce going in your crock pot.. you could easily fit 2 kids per bed and that way they'll all get a good night's sleep. . the bunk bed idea is safer too in case there is a grease fire you won't need to jump over the kids but just proceed out in an orderly fashion since l read Pop's curtains go up in flames really fast when you are grilling near them which is pretty negligent on wdw's part, one more example of their "put the customer last" attitude imo .

if you can not find that free buffet here is another tip (since you have a car) for an easy meal...butter an english muffin, crack an egg and put it on the bottom 1/2, top with cheese, ham then top muffin 1/2.wrap in foil,place on engine & drive to fc for coffee in previous year's mugs (leave the car running) and by the time you get back to the room you'll have a piping hot cheesy egg sandwich..GOOD EATS! 8 should fit on the engine block with no problem

lilsonicfan
08-31-2004, 02:40 AM
...so you're saying that cooking in the room isn't a good idea? awwww!!!! :(

Ozymoe
08-31-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by lilsonicfan
...so you're saying that cooking in the room isn't a good idea? awwww!!!! :(

No, no no no,

She is just saying that cooking <I>garlic grilled tuna fillets</I> in your room is not acceptable. Please be considerate of other guests. Hardly anyone appreciates the smell of garlic grilled tuna fillets in the hall at Pop when they returning to their own rooms after a long day in the parks.

However, I have had good results (and was once even asked for my recipe) using the bathtub, an asbestos mat and a blowtorch (for igniting the woodchips and lightly searing the surface of the meat) in making an entire smoked ham for our family...although I think I was asked for my recipe only because I used <I>hickory</I> wood chips for the smoking process. BTW this is relatively easy to do utilizing the bathroom for approximately 12 hours each day over a 3 day period. (We always make sure we do this when we are gone at the parks so we can all shower when we return).

...Sure, it's a little inconvenient having to stop and start the process twice, and sure sometimes we do smell a bit like bacon (but who doesn't like <I>that</I> smell on vacation lol) but the end result is worth it...plus it saves our family at least $26 dollars.

...and sometimes we do it twice so we actually save $52!

Anyone who would like a blow-by-blowtorch description on how to do this yourself...well, I'd be proud to contribute my bit to the Budget Board. Just PM me.

teachingmykids
08-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Don't forget you can fry sausage on the iron -- good for smashing grilled cheese too!

sweet maxine
08-31-2004, 06:58 AM
That's definitely a new one for me, and I'm going to put that idea to use. Now, does any type of meat work with this recipe? I'd like to smoke a few ribs on my next trip, and then I thought I'd just go make some garlic toast in the food court toaster (at the Pop), then fill up all our old Southwest Airlines mugs with frozen coke. Any ideas for making a cake? We just love dessert with our dinner! I had considered steaming a cake in the bathtub with the hot water. We may have to find somewhere else to bathe if I'll be tying up the bathtub with all that cooking!

PrincessDadx2
08-31-2004, 07:36 AM
Don't forget to pick up some used POP refill mugs on Ebay. I hear that you can save a fortune ;)

mad4themouse
08-31-2004, 08:11 AM
People! People! People! Puh-leeeeze don't cook in your rooms!

Build a solar oven instead and place it in the parking lot before you leave for the parks in the morning! This hand-dandy, little device is perfect for the family that wants a home-cooked meal on the road. Check it out:
Solar Cooking (http://home.earthlink.net/~drduggee/solar.htm)

http://home.earthlink.net/~drduggee/SOLAR4.JPG http://home.earthlink.net/~drduggee/SOLAR20.JPG

sweet maxine, you can bake that cake in the oven and save the bathtub for keeping your perishables cold. Just fill it with ice from the machines and cover with one of the spare blankets. You'll probably need to vist 5 or 6 ice machines to get enough ice each morning because you'll empty each of them in the process. But it's worth it not to pay Disney $10 per day for a dinky little fridge that won't hold a 20 lb turkey!

Belle5
08-31-2004, 08:17 AM
You guys are great! I KNEW I could count on you for some great money saving ideas! Keep those suggestions rolling in!!! I had thought about the bunkbeds out of plywood...but how to patch the walls??? Toothpaste....jann10333...you are a genious!
Blowtorch and solar oven? Who would have thought. My techy DH is going to LOVE getting in on THIS kind of planning! Woo-hoo!

hockey mom
08-31-2004, 08:26 AM
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Actually the free brekky at HIFS is a zoo in the morning so just stroll right in the front door- no-one will have a clue.

If you can't find a used mug on e-bay a bread bag is also widely accepted.

2Disneybuggs
08-31-2004, 08:32 AM
I love the solar oven idea! I really thought the poster was serious at first..

canwegosoon
08-31-2004, 09:13 AM
Also be sure to ask Mousekeeping for extra soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, and shampoo, and sell it on EBAY...oh, and don't forget the Maps I hear they sell like hotcakes too!!!

Speaking of Hotcakes...and along with Mad4themouse's post I think you can start you car, spread foil out on the hood and make Hotcakes and Bacon...you can wrap the sausages and put them on the engine. If you are driving to WDW I think you can cook a whole meal under the hood!!!;) Turkey would be great for a few meals!!

On trips to the park...make sure you bring a backpack grill, and cook your own Hot Dogs in front of Caseys... you can always ask them for Ice and condiments.

Don't forget to bring your pets on vacation too, so you don't have to pay for kennels, just sneak them in you room!!!

Belle5
08-31-2004, 10:13 AM
sweet maxine,
no need to disturb your steaming cake....just head over to FW for FREE showers! (That would go for the rest of you who don't want to refill your tubs being used as ice chests, too!)

hookedup
08-31-2004, 10:40 AM
I think that you could do some deluxe resort hopping (to check out the pools of course) and then head up to the concierge lounge. If you are dripping wet in your swim suits I doubt they will ask for your room key. That way you can get plenty of food and snacks with out cooking. Better yet, send your 6 kids into the lounge get food for you!
Plenty to eat for all for FREE!!

jann1033
08-31-2004, 11:49 AM
we love bbq so my mouth is watering just thinking about that juicy smoked meat! what agreat idea!...i can't remember if pop has fabric or plastic shower curtains...do you have to shut it to get the true smokey effect or is just the br. door good enough..will fabric work or should i pick up a plastic one at home and bring it along .hmm come to think about it last time we stayed at fw those curtains were plastic so i could probably borrow one from there since we'll only need it for 7 days this time. i don't think they'd notice since there are the stalls then the curtained off area.

and about cooking the hot dogs outside casey's...bring extras and i'm sure you could get a little extra spending money by selling them right there on the spot...who wants to wait in that long line and with the topping bar all you'd need to bring was the dogs and buns. enough for some nice souvies would easily fit in your wheeled electric cooler you were probably going to bring to mk anyway.. i think i recall seeing a plug just behind the fence at Casey's outdoor table spot so youmight need an extension cord.

LisaZoe
08-31-2004, 01:18 PM
I can think of only a few tips missed by others. Don't forget to hit the buffets! Why pay for everyone to eat when you can just send in one person with a bunch of ziploc bags? Make sure that person is carrying a large, empty tote bad - the one TDS had on sale not long ago would work well - or even the carpet bag since it holds more. A great time to go is during the time the restaurant is going from breakfast to lunch. You can get 2 meals for everyone that way... and probably have leftovers for a late night snack as well.

Oh yeah, just thought of one more. Make sure to pack your kids scruffiest play clothes. Have them all wear them one day and stand near the WDW main entrance with a handwritten sign (any old box will do) asking for spare change because their parents won't take them to WDW. Make sure they practice their pitiful expressions first. WDW goers are often suckers when it comes to kids (why would we spend so much taking our own if we weren't :) ) so you're bound to get enough to pay for at least one buffet meal for the family (see above for stretching that out to a week's worth).

The last tip has only limited success rate but worth a shot. Go to places that take Q&C vouchers and have your kids go up to the people using said vouchers and ask if he/she is really going to get a dessert too. If not, ask the person to give it to the child. With some experience, I bet your kids could find ways to start asking for that extra patty on the burger, the ice cream/pop corn & extra bottled drink part of the AK vouchers, etc.

Oh yeah, if all else fails, have your kids volunteer to clear the tables for people eating at counter service restaurants. Make sure, though, that they pick the ones who've left plenty on their plates! A little careful trimming and you've got perfectly edible food - almost like a buffet if you can do this for enough people.

BTW - I had a college roommate who was almost that bad about eating other people's food. I once learned he ate my dinner leftovers that I'd put in the garbage because "it smelled good, I was hungry and it wasn't touching anything dirty" (almost a direct quote when he told me about this).

travelbug
08-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Why not pass off your second youngest as not quite 3 YO too? Just explain tearfully that he/she is so large because of a rare thyroid condition that went undiagnosed until recently. :worried:

If you'd rather not spring for a used refill mug from ebay, just bring some mismatched plastic cups from home that you can fill with drinks at the food court for free. Who's going to say anything when they see how many children you have to provide drinks for?
:earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

travelbug
08-31-2004, 03:50 PM
Just thought of another one. Have your kids hang around the pressed penny machines wherever you go. Then they can go up to a CM and sadly say that the machine ate their penny AND their quarters. After visiting enough machines, they should have whole pockets full of pennies and quarters to help your budget. :hyper:

SleepyatDVC
08-31-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Belle5
First, do you think anyone would notice if all of us would squeeze into one room at Pop Century? (My kids don't mind sleeping on the floor!)

If you really must squeeze 8 into one room, then here's a tip - forget bringing extra bed linens. Your kids are small. Just pick up lots and lots of pool towels.

The room only provides 4 sets of towels. So, you'll need at least 4 more pool towels. Then another 4 to use as bedsheets for the kiddies sleeping on the floor. If they complain about the hardness of the floor, you can layer an extra 5 to 10 towels on top to make a comfy "mattress" for the floor. Then another 4 pool towels to use as blankets.

If you plan on buying souveniers, get the kids some plush toys to serve double duty as pillows. If your budget is tight, just use some folded up towels as pillows. Send your cuter kids down the hall to find mousekeeping and ask sweetly about those towel animals that they only heard about and wouldn't it be great if you can get a different one each day? With luck you'll get enough free towel animal souveniers to take home for everyone.

Remember to get lots of pool towels the first day. If there aren't enough towels down by the pool for your needs and you don't want to wait around for them to restock, don't forget there is usually more than one pool per resort. Another idea would be to pool hop for towels.

My main concern for 8 in a room would be the one bathroom. Make use of the hotel public restrooms. Sneak in and use the gym locker room facilities. Throw the kids in the pool for their bath.

Another idea is to keep an eye out for your neighbors checking out. When you notice someone leaving , stick your foot out to keep the door from locking and when they are out of sight - viola! - an extra room and bathroom for you to use for free for a couple of hours! If the guest used express checkout, you may even be able to use the room phone to call down and request late check out! If the maids try to come in, you can always tell them that yes, the others in your party checked out already but you'll be out soon. A smarter move would be to put the privacy sign up.

Even with using the bathroom solutions above, when kids have to go potty, they have to go - even when the bathroom is occupied. If you can part with some of those refillable bread bags, you'll have an instant porta potty as a back up. I wouldn't recommend using the refillable cups though. Even I have some standards!

Have a great trip. I'm sure you will have wonderful memories. The small living quarters will certainly teach your family on how to get along together. Towel hunting will teach the kids about working together and cooperation!

PoohBearLovinMama
08-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Why waste $$ for one person to go into the buffet when you can just send in your 3 year old? S/he will be able to eat free and bring out all the food you could need.

Another tip, for getting free snacks. Have your child pretend that they are lost. They should start screaming for mommy or daddy, making sure that they cause a big scene, and when the concerned CM's come over and help calm them down, your children should look up (with the practiced pitiful look from standing outside the gate) and ask if they could have whatever they are hungry for. Make sure that you don't rescue them until they get their snack though.

jann1033
08-31-2004, 10:37 PM
this is ot persay but I know many "Budget-ears" find it necessary to bring grills and large coolers to the parks and it is quite a hassle to lug them around all day.

the tip is this: if you do not remove the outer labels(Like the "RubberMaid" sticker or save the box and bring them into the parks in the original box,) you can go to guest services after lunch and have them sent to your resort via package pick up FOR FREE!. we just "mention" we bought them at DTD ( ok so that is a little white lie but i do it out of earshot of the children) and we forgot to have them sent...it usually only takes me 1/2 an hr or so to convince the cm( a good hint here is have others in your party pretend to be in line behind you, I have found the longer the "line" the quicker the cms agree). we first stumbled across this gem of a tip when great Grandpa wanted to return his beloved Alpenhorn to ASM( as a founding member of AWDW one of his fondest wishes was to have his yearly picture taken in front of the Castle with his Alpenhorn. of course since this was just before his cataract surgery, it was difficult for him to drive his evc while balancing his 8 ft long alpenhorn..(btw i posted on the "most shocking" thread about the vulgar language one woman used , right in front of my children,when he barely nicked her foot with the ecv!!!...)so anyway, we encouraged a crabby cm(later called guest services on her btw which resulted in upgrade to AKL!) to send it back to our resort( little white lie here by saying Epcot/Norway was the origin of purchase in this case) and it arrived safe and sound For Free with in 24 hrs!...so glad we were able to get those pix of GGP since he passed not long after.,

Local_Girl
09-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Jann...

I think that obnoxious woman (who verbally attacked your gg'pa) was confused. Can't imagine that gg'pa could've gotten close enough to her with that balancing alpenhorn to run over her foot. Certainly she was merely "goosed" by the instrument (but embarrassed to admit it), and in her surprised state, stepped on her own foot.

CMKN
09-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Keeping on a bduget can be tough so here are my suggestions! First off, don't even bother to pay park admission - dress your family up as Snow White and the seven dwarfs (workable theme with your family size) and play it off that you are there to do a sing-a-gram for Bob or Susie in one of the far away gift shops! Most likely that will get you in the door. Suggestion #2 - have your kids stand close to any and all food that has fallen on the floor. They are then to proceed to cry in their loudest voices until a) a cast member replaces their food b) a guest nearby feels so overwhelmed with the desire to help that they replace the food for the child! (make sure you do it in several stops throught out the parks - not to draw too much attention and also get diversity in your meals! Suggestion #3 - Have your children approach kind looking older couples and ask them if they can break a $10 bill - when they make an attempt to do so, have your kids frantically pull out their pockets and begin to whimper that they saved all year for that $10 and now it's gone - some people will fall for this one! And my final suggestion #4 - for souvies - go to lost and found and be very nondescriptive on a certain item that you lost (pay close attention to everything you see - send your significant other in a few minutes later to claim all the good stuff)!

We have covered parks, food, money, and gifts- you should be all set!

Trixiezzz
09-11-2004, 01:05 AM
:jumping1: Bump. :jumping1:

(This is too good to get buried!)

2minnies
09-11-2004, 08:33 AM
I've now spit hot coffee all over my monitor - this is GREAT!

yecats
09-12-2004, 01:05 AM
After reading everyone's post about budgeting, this is my idea. Wait until next September for your Disney vacation. It is quite possible that a hurricane may come along thereby providing your family with free food, free entertainment and replacing those days lost on your park tickets due to having to keep all 8 of you in a value room.

This thread is a hoot. :tongue: :hyper:

AdventurerKat
09-12-2004, 09:40 AM
You know, when we are short on money, we just sleep in the gazebo at POR. It has several benches that make up nice into beds and then you could put the little ones on the floor. But be careful, my husband tripped over my four year old last time and busted out his teeth. We're still paying off that dental bill.

Shelby0007
09-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a plan! Go for it! LOL!!

Can we share your room? We're a family of 4 and won't mind sleeping on the floor. But, I call the bathroom 1st in the morning!

Shelby0007

bear74
09-12-2004, 11:25 AM
LOL this is hillarious. When I realized this was a joke I almost spit soda all over my monitor. I've laughed through all of these post/:laughing: :rotfl: :jumping1:

jann1033
09-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by AdventurerKat
You know, when we are short on money, we just sleep in the gazebo at POR. It has several benches that make up nice into beds and then you could put the little ones on the floor. But be careful, my husband tripped over my four year old last time and busted out his teeth. We're still paying off that dental bill.

that is an outrage!!!send your dental bill to wdw, obviously it is a dangerous gazebo and they are libel for his teeth...and since there are no signs posted that you can not sleep there for free, you were well within your rights to believe you could camp out there. great budget tip! actually you could finance the past trip and maybe the next 20 with the "pain and suffering" a good lawyer could get you..we all know wdw has plenty of money so what's $1.5 mil to them

Belle5
09-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Shelby, my thought is, the more the merrier!!! C'mon in! We'll split the cost of the room.

I've also been thinking about the possibility of passing off my 18, 16, 14 and 12 year olds as 9 year olds for theme park pass purposes! (It's all the hormones in the meat these days giving them that facial hair!)

imsayin
09-12-2004, 03:02 PM
I've also been thinking about the possibility of passing off my 18, 16, 14 and 12 year olds as 9 year olds for theme park pass purposes

I would definitely get the 12 year old in as a 9 year old since his/her birthday is so close to actually being 9. Especially if he has just turned 12.

Jaynerita
09-12-2004, 06:01 PM
You'll want to do some resort hopping with your family. After a relaxing swim at the GF pool why not engage in a hotel scavenger hunt through the corriders to see what's left over on the room service carts!!! The food's only going to be thrown away and it's a sin to waste, right???

jann1033
09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Belle5
Shelby, my thought is, the more the merrier!!! C'mon in! We'll split the cost of the room.

I've also been thinking about the possibility of passing off my 18, 16, 14 and 12 year olds as 9 year olds for theme park pass purposes! (It's all the hormones in the meat these days giving them that facial hair!)

although the meat hormones situation is obviously reasonable, just cause it says "9" on the pass doesn't mean that is official disney policy. the only one i would pay for is the 18 year old since the ambiguous wording could mean if the "sum of the numbers in the age" equals "9", if the size of their shoe is larger than a"9", so many different things! who are they to tell me how to interpret "9"

Belle5
09-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Once again, you make an excellent point, jann1033!!! This trip should be nearly free by the time I have applied all of this excellent advice!

Ozymoe
09-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Belle,

What do you mean your trip should be "nearly free"? After I implement all the tips, Disney pays us! ...and we almost always get our own private escort off property to boot. Actually Disney always foots the whole bill for our last night's stay, complete with room service for all our meals!

We do not allow the odd fact that there are no windows in our rooms dampen our enjoyment of this themed event. After all, we ARE being treated to the a Behind the Mickey Bars tour for free!

I just love a bargain, don't you?

arminnie
09-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Don't bother with taking dry clothes to the parks. They always have tshirts and other stuff in the stores. I'm sure they wouldn't mind you swapping your wet stuff for dry things. It's not like it's stealing as you are trading them something for it.

If you don't get wet on a ride, well you could just do the trade anyway. I'm sure there is someone in the park who would rather have your tshirt (gently used please) than that Disney stuff.

ktglads
09-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Also, forget about renting strollers. There are tons just sitting outside rides, ready to use. Just take a generic family's name (ie Smith or Jones) and you will be all set. The other families will get another one replaced by Disney so really no problem there.

Hmm, would there be a way to hide a child in a stroller like you hide people in a trunk at the drive in? That would mean no admission fee at all for them!

AdventurerKat
09-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by jann1033
that is an outrage!!!send your dental bill to wdw, obviously it is a dangerous gazebo and they are libel for his teeth...and since there are no signs posted that you can not sleep there for free, you were well within your rights to believe you could camp out there. great budget tip! actually you could finance the past trip and maybe the next 20 with the "pain and suffering" a good lawyer could get you..we all know wdw has plenty of money so what's $1.5 mil to them

For shame! I hadnt thought of that one and I work for attorneys! I better get my boss right on that! ;)

crisi
09-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Another idea for a cheap room - rent DVC points!

The going rate is $10 per, but DVC members are only paying $4 per in points. If you find someone who will loose their point anyway and tell them a huge sob story about your oldest having terminal cancer and you needing to take this "one last trip before he dies" you can probably get the points for $2. Just email everyone offering points over on the rent trade board. One of them is a sucker.

Make sure one of your kids trips getting into the rides the first day. That is usually good for free park tickets for the rest of your visit. If you can get them hurt before they even hit the parks - you can get free tickets for the whole trip and not even need to spend the money for the first day!

And if anyone tells you that its your own fault for having six kids and no one is entitled to a Disney vacation - well - the nerve of some people!

WithDisneySpirit
09-13-2004, 08:13 PM
This thread is absolutely hysterical:teeth: My hat is off to all of you funny DISers:worship: :worship:

Lisa:sunny:

mbb
09-14-2004, 08:36 AM
when they closed "It's A Small World"....

Scooping out the change is how we pay for the NEXT trip to WDW!

Don't tell me you never wondered why it takes so long to unload the boats.
That was my DH holding things up - if he would just stop singing and scoop!!!

:sunny:

Ozymoe
09-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Have to say I got you beat here! Instead of just scooping the coins, I outfit every child in our family with electromagnetic gloves that are remote controlled by Yours Truely... kids dip their hands in the water, I hit the "electromagnet on" switch...Kids (with coins attached) flip back into the boat...I hit the "electromagnet off" switch ...DH quickly pockets the coins and hangs the kids back over the sides of the boat for more...note:this really pays off when the ride is backed up!

The kids don't mind because it means we get to come back to Disney sooner...bonus, they are no longer aftraid of sticking forks into toasters and bobby pins into wall outlets!

ktglads
09-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Don't forget the pond at MGM by Indiana Jones. I have seen quite a bit of money thrown in there too. Plus, if you take a bar of soap off the mousekeeper's cart, your kids can gather money and bathe at the same time!

Jaynerita
09-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Why spend time scooping pennies when looting the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds is just a boat ride away!!!! It will keep the kids entertained for hours. It's a great way to collecy money some souveniers and even left over food. The best time to do this is during the Chip and Dale campfire sing-a-longs.

Ozymoe
09-15-2004, 09:53 AM
<I>...looting the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds </I>

Um, Jaynerita...that would be stealing.

We don't steal...er, um...ah...except from Disney...and we only steal from Disney because we have to...in order to afford our 17 vacations there every year.

Plus our children are usually so frazzled after Small World we only want to hop over to Stormalong Bay before returning to sleep in our car in the AKL parking lot...don't you just love the AK Lodge?

Lisa loves Pooh
09-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey--a tip for offsiters...

Save on the parking--it's just fluff change for Disney--I mean do they really need that money?...get to MK before 7am and the booths have signs that say "Please Proceed to your Destination"--since we all like to do as Disney says--and it says nothing about paying to park--just drive on in since Disney says it is okay. You'll be first in line for the monorail and first in line at the gate! And to boot--you can park wherever you want b/c there isn't a CM around telling you what to do :)

Don't forget your solar grill though so that you can cook up a yummy breakfast at the gate :)

luvitmoreachtime
09-15-2004, 02:52 PM
You could also buy one resort mug from GF cause its closer to MK and
send 2 out for refill. have one hold the gallon water jug and have one get the refills and have them take turns going to drink station until you fill the jug. OR you could take a laptop, printer and scanner and get one mickey buck and scan it and make copies to use in the park, that would give you unlimited funds. Im sure the CMs dont look that closely and they dont have the hidden image that US currency does so
counterfeiting.....oh no i didnt mean that...creatively reproducing them should not be too hard.
JUST DONT TRY TO USE YOUR POP MUG FROM PREVIOUS YEARS OR AT ANOTHER RESORT CAUSE THAT WOULD BE WRONG!!!!

jann1033
09-15-2004, 03:16 PM
great idea bout the water jug..we got one at kmart( made by martha stewart ,I think the brand is called "Cell Living") that collapses pretty flat so the baby in stroller can sit on it on the way in ...(no pesky bag searches that way, we load our cooler under her too and make sure she is sleeping...a drip of whiskey does the trick...don't bother flaming ,it is an ancient family remedy that never hurt me.....and no one yet has checked under the blanket so we get in so much quicker)...and once you fill it, it will still fit in the locker till lunch ( see post about using the solar grill not only for breakfast but to make hot dogs outside caseys to sell for souvie money)...budget tip for cups to sell soda in..ask for a cup of ice water at the counters ( tell them you are there with a magical gatherings group of 20) and you can get plenty

Jaynerita
09-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Sorry, folks you won't see our family looting the campsites any more!!!! I always figured we'd be stealing money that Disney would eventually get anyway so in a way, isn't that stealing from Disney????

Lisa loves Pooh
09-15-2004, 06:47 PM
I hear they have free souvenirs at legoland--a piece of the land if you will--it is right out there in the open out front...just snatch one off a table--or heck right out of the kids hand--their reflexes are slow--you can be on the DTD bus heading back to your resort before the kid is looking in the right direction.

(Okay--that was terrible of me--smack--but this is fun!!! Don't go snatching my kids legos--or I'll send you a tape of her quite dramatic balling as your punishment :hyper: My Legooooooo Waaaaahhhhh, legooooo, waaaaaahhhh) (any object that has been snatched from her ever can be subbed for the word legoooo) :headache:

mzzzh
09-19-2004, 11:15 AM
:hyper: :crazy: :hyper:

6 kids? Why deprive single people and couples without children (especially newlyweds) the opportunity to experience WDW with children? Run an auction on ebay to "rent a child" for that special WDW trip!! Gives you extra money to upgrade to a deluxe resort w/ concierge for hubby and yourself alone!

Belle5
09-19-2004, 12:16 PM
mzzzh,
I love it! People could "rent a teen" if they want to do the wild rides (or even golf)with someone. (I have three of those!) "Rent a tween"(my 12 year old), "rent a 7 year old" for those who want a child old enough to go on most rides but still can have childish wonder, and "rent a one year old" for those who might want to ride Dumbo and Pooh all day. Who knows, maybe some really ambitious newlywed couple might want to rent them all. It's very romantic having them around all the time!

Trixiezzz
03-10-2005, 01:57 PM
This thread has been buried too long. Time for a bump!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Southern4sure
03-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Last summer we camped out at Fort Wilderness. My kids are use to warm milk and we forgot to pack our microwave, but thank God we brought along Daisy our Jersey cow. We tied her up next to a tall pine and walla..warm milk on an instance. We did share with other campers so it was ok. Our last night, we made a huge bon fire and fed the entire campground. Poor Daisy...she was good grilled on an open flame! This year I'm bringing Herb...the CM's said it was ok as long as they get to eat too.

flipperjc
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
This thread is great!! I'm going on my first trip to Disney in May..and I'm wondering...all these great ideas..have you actually seen people do this (if you are one of the people who actually do some of these, you don't have to tell us LOL :rotfl: ) Just wondering......cuz it would be pretty crazy to see some of this stuff!!

Jen

leebee
03-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm embarrassed that we smarties are still trying to stuff 8 people into one room. this is FLORIDA, for pete's sake! The weather is great! Just find a golf course...all that well cared for, closely trimmed grass...and nobody uses it all night long! Imagine watching the stars twinkling overhead as you drift off to sleep. and HEY! they have those nifty spigots for cleaning your golf ball, which i think are just the right height for washing up! why cram into a room when you can have fresh air and all the bbq/picnic space you need?

aka-mad4themouse
03-11-2005, 06:29 AM
I'm embarrassed that we smarties are still trying to stuff 8 people into one room. this is FLORIDA, for pete's sake! The weather is great! Just find a golf course...all that well cared for, closely trimmed grass...and nobody uses it all night long! Imagine watching the stars twinkling overhead as you drift off to sleep. and HEY! they have those nifty spigots for cleaning your golf ball, which i think are just the right height for washing up! why cram into a room when you can have fresh air and all the bbq/picnic space you need?
I see one problem with this....sprinklers. Better pitch a tent.

patsal
03-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Hopefully at least one of the kids is able to vomit on cue--this could work well for for souvies. Make sure the child wears old clothes to the park, and vomits on her clothing in front of a CM--they will surely feel sorry and set her up with a fabulous princess outfit free of charge. Over a seven day period you could save quite a bit and be the envy of every little girl back home!

HaleyB
07-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I am really in shock.

No one has even mentioned corn. Canned corn is a great snack in the parks.

finz2left
07-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Maybe I missed it, but I'm not sure why you are paying for all the kiddos. Just let them alternate since they are so young they don't get fingerscanned. While some kids are in the park, let others poolhop or start the food for the rest of the gang. That way, you could save time and money. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh, and if you need to make great time, have one of your kids pretend they have a disability and get a disability card for hopefully a small bump in waiting time. If anyone says anything to you about "cheating" just remind them having a ton of kids to compete with in a family is a disability. :furious: :rolleyes1

vhoffman
07-17-2006, 01:14 AM
My sides are splitting from this thread! I was looking for a little wind-down before going to bed, thanks for sending me off with a smile! And some GREAT budget ideas! :banana:

golden1
07-17-2006, 05:54 AM
What about the Treehouse villas? You could all post as Disney employees for the week and stay there for free! You wouldn't even need to pack clothes, just wear the uniforms!

Belle5
07-17-2006, 08:02 AM
How did this old thread get dug up? The main thing I see missing from it is the solar oven photo that used to be inserted in Mad4themouse's response! (She is now known as AKAMad4themouse, budget board moderator--yes, she was promoted because of this thread!) That photo was a highlight on this thread.

Now...we took our trip in December of 2005 and I must say we went slightly over budget. Oddly, a lot of the ideas here didn't work like we hoped they might. I think too many of you used these ideas before I was able to implement them and DIsney seemed to catch on. For example: the breadbags were confiscated by the food court manager when my children tried to use them for beverages. Who tipped them off? I think we have a traitor in our midst...

canwegosoon
07-17-2006, 08:21 AM
This was my favorite thread of all time...(ok except for the Orlando Bloom thread)....my Favorite WDW thread :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

mom2my3kids
07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
lol :happytv: :happytv: :happytv:

azgal81
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
:rotfl2:

mickeysgal
07-17-2006, 03:45 PM
:rotfl2:

I've learned a lot of new budget tips today. Thanks! :thumbsup2

spiceycat
07-17-2006, 04:53 PM
oh I needed a good laugh.... thanks :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: :thumbsup2 :teacher: :joker:

jenr812
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

madge
07-17-2006, 06:48 PM
this thread is funny.... both times! :rotfl2:

Deebo
07-17-2006, 08:59 PM
This thread is hilarious. :rotfl2: Thanks for unearthing it!

The DDP opens up a whole world of new budget-worthy possibilities. I'm sure the kids wouldn't mind eating from the condiment bar at Pecos Bill's Cafe so that you can save their kid credits to buy more adult meals for yourselves. :thumbsup2

Any others?

lovesmurfs
07-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Who says you need a hotel room?

Have you ever read From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? Two kids run away from home and stay at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. After closing, they stand on toilet seats until security goes by. Your whole family could do that, and then sleep in the Haunted Mansion. :rotfl:

Tigger1
07-17-2006, 10:26 PM
How about doig some timeshare presentations. They always give you free food. Having 8 chidren they likely will not keep you the full 3 hours. You can also get cash instead of tickets sometimes.

Wilderness lodge has a nice area with beach lounge chairs by the lake. Why pay hotel cost.

Buy some of Those glow in the dark necklaces to sell before night time shows, fireworks, ect. You are not going in a couple of weeks are you?
If so, stay away from my kids turf when selling glow things.

Be sure to take large cups to Epcot to fill for the night, fee soda.

Sams club is not to far away, great free sample snacks.

There is a fountain near Cindys castle. Kids could help Disney out by removing those coins so they do not get into the pump.

DVC resorts have free ice and laundry mats. No need to bring too many extra cloths, Just one extra set for the backpack.

The ice will be great for the leftovers from the free buffets.

Actually, you may not even have to watch a timeshare presentation. Just go to the resort, find your way to the buffet fill a plate find a seat, there is 100s of people, who will no you do not have a vulger trying to sell a overpriced resort to you,

BTW, DVC does not give free buffets to see there resorts but they usually have cookies and lemonade. Also, they usually have a DVC presentation at one of the resorts that has good continintal breakfast food.

Well, I will keep some of my other tips for another trip.

Have fun

Tigger

Belle5
07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Having 8 chidren they likely will not keep you the full 3 hours.

Tigger

I think you have credited me with two more children than I deserve (or desire). If I had 8 kids I would probably qualify for a group rate or something. Hmmm...there's a new angle I can try....

Tigger1
07-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Belle 5

I sending two of mine with you for the week

Deal with it. I am on vacation.

3princesses+aprince
07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
This was so funny!!!!!! I was actually in tears reading this , it was great.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

SandraVB79
07-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Hmm, if other people go during the same period, you could all together get the group rate!

Why did nobody mention to make gin and vodka in the bathtub?

hollyb
07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
My hero!!!!! :cheer2: Can our family of 4 fit in your suitcase and go along for the trip. :banana:

thespiderman
07-18-2006, 03:32 PM
If you want to save some big money, just pack your refillable mugs in your backpack, along with a washcloth, and a travel toothbrush and paste. Why stay close to the park when you can stay in it? I chaperoned a large group of high school students a few years back on an excursion to Disneyworld. We got on the topic of sleeping in the park, and most of the kids and I couldn't stop looking for great places to spend the night in the park. We made a list and here are some of our top places.

If you're from a humid part of the country, there are plenty of good places to sleep in Splash Mountain. If you like rustic living, try Tom Sawyer Island. There have got to be tons of places to hide out and spend the night. For those that must have a bed, we saw a few of them on the Peter Pan ride. I'm betting it's a super firm mattress, but don't complain.....it's free. Some others thought the area to the right of the castle with all of the bushes would make a nice place to crash. You could also hop off the train and stay in one of the teepees near the back of the park. We considered Small World, but then came to the conclusion that all of those crepy animatronic characters probably come to life at night! Bring some granola bars and some pop tarts and you're all set.

Got any other ideas for good places to "camp out" in the Magic Kingdom? pirate:

Ozymoe
07-19-2006, 08:27 AM

People, people, people...remember where you ARE!!!!!! I realize that what Spiderman is suggesting in terms of sleeping arrangements is doable, but remember...you will be in the middle of the Magic...and use the resources available to you!!!!

I thought everyone knew to visit Tinkerbelle's Shoppe early in the morning to procure a large amount of pixiedust before it is all gone for the day (hint: it usually disappears shortly after a second determined parent arrives at the store hoping to wakeupTink).

Having pushed yourself ahead of all these wannabe wandwavers, stash the pixiedust until park closing when everyone is leaving for the evening. Make sure you have positioned yourself in Tomorrowland near the Astroblasters. Quickly sprinkle the pixiedust on yourself and your family. Think happy thoughts. When you have risen high enough to blend in with the rockets...hover.

This is necessary in order to avoid the last of the "watching" employees. Once the park is really closed, you are free to find your favorite spot to hover. Of course, you still have to avoid the cleaning crews, but that's not too hard with a little practice. My family actually zipped over to MGM last December and hovered close to the Osborne Lights! Lol...I am sure we were the reason for the "Angels at Disney Studios?" story that appeared in the Orlando Sentinel later that week!

travelbug
07-19-2006, 11:59 AM
If you want to save some big money, just pack your refillable mugs in your backpack, along with a washcloth, and a travel toothbrush and paste. Why stay close to the park when you can stay in it?

You know, Spiderman, I think you're onto something here. The Swiss Family Treehouse has definite potential for a great overnight stay for no added cost. Sleeping accommodations for a family, running water, an outdoor kitchen, and that great little pump organ for entertainment. ;)

Don't forget to plan for an early morning breakfast before the park re-opens. If you have your cooler on wheels with you, bring along eggs and bacon to cook over an open fire in the Swiss Family kitchen. (I'm sure Disney wouldn't mind a small little fire since there's water nearby as a safety precaution.) The kitchen already has dishes and utensils provided.

Plenty of time to clean up and clear out before the tourists arrive. The treehouse may look a little more "lived in", but that's OK because it will just look more realistic. :)

aka-mad4themouse
07-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm surprised that no one has considered the Haunted Mansion for their overnight MK stay. They have 999 residents but the Ghost Host is always telling me that there's "room for one more." I may just have to "drag my wretched body" there on one of my trips. The stretching room would be a nice place to camp out; in the "dead" center of the room, of course!

DawnM
07-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I seem to remember reading that a great place to "hide" if you want to stay overnight in the parks is in the caves on Tom Sawyer's Island. Of course, that was many years ago at Disneyland, and it had a sad ending....the teen died trying to swim back across the river....but he didn't get caught before closing!

Dawn

lovesmurfs
07-19-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm surprised that no one has considered the Haunted Mansion for their overnight MK stay. They have 999 residents but the Ghost Host is always telling me that there's "room for one more." I may just have to "drag my wretched body" there on one of my trips. The stretching room would be a nice place to camp out; in the "dead" center of the room, of course!

Proud to say I did in #75..... :banana:

aka-mad4themouse
07-19-2006, 05:44 PM
How did I miss that post, lovesmurfs?

It's okay if your family has dibs on the HM. I'll move over to the Hollywood Towers Hotel in MGM. I understand that they have a lovely library with a TV. We could make ourselves comfy there. The lobby is a bit dated and the fountains have been turned off (I think they're conserving water). But I understand that the view from the penthouse is spectacular.

Trixiezzz
08-20-2007, 01:03 PM
This old thread needs to be bumped up. :rotfl2:

grammynelliebelle
08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Really funny! lol! Actually we tried some of these things back in the 70's when we camped at FW in our van! Made a bunkbed for youngest dd over the front seats with a platform and crib mattress! We all still love the mouse but have gotten a little fussier with our digs. Grammy