PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis to Orlando - Another flight ?

WDWorld2003
08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
I've checked the airlines for spring break next year and Sun Country has the lowest fares from Minneapolis to Orlando but the times are not ideal - can't believe some flights are actually booked already!

The difference in cost at this time between Sun Country and Northwest and others is significant - $125+ more per ticket.

My question is do we wait and hope the other carriers go down in price or should we take what Sun Country has to offer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know you don't have crystal balls but any past experience would helpful. :D

elgerber
08-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I waited, for my October trip, and I got screwed. Sun Country went up $60+ per ticket, and even higher after I bought mine. NWA has always been high. If you want non-stop (which very few carriers give you out of here) I would honestly just book them now to make sure you have them.

My flight times were not idea either, the early AM flight was gone, so I took mid-afternoon, which they have now changed to late afternoon, so I don't arrive until 7:30m (but that's another rant altogether).

Erika

blanq
08-30-2004, 04:04 PM
Have you checked AirTran? I have found that AirTran often is able to beat Sun Country's fares from MSP to MCO. Anyway, I would recommend jumping on tickets for Spring Break now as chances are fares will only go higher. If Sun Country is the lowest fare, grab it. Spring Break and Easter coincide in MN this year, so demand should be even higher than if it were only Spring Break.

jekjones1558
08-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Several times we have booked an air/car package from the NWA website and have been able to get a significant savings on air, with the car costing only slightly more than booking it separately. I have been able to book nonstop at good times. Don't know whether this will work for your dates, but it would be worth a try.

WDWorld2003
08-31-2004, 07:47 AM
Thanks everyone..... I may book Sun Country.... My thoughts were that the other carriers have to come down - how can they fill their planes when the cost is over $500 pp for a ticket? :eek: I'm going to wait a few days and see.....

CarolMN
08-31-2004, 08:08 AM
If "Spring Break" for you means either the week before or the week after Easter, my advice is to book now. It's unlikely that the price will go down much for that time. That's only if non-stop service is important to you. (It's only important to me if I'm traveling with small children, but that may not be true for you).

If you are willing to change planes for a lower price, I'd keep checking. Sometimes by varying your departure or return dates by a day or so, you can save a significant amount. ATA & Delta have offered RT airfares for signifcantly less than either SC or NWA, but you have to catch them as soon as they appear. ATA does have at least one flight that is non-stop, but you may not like the schedule - believe it leaves late afternoon. Consider leaving a day early and spending the night in a cheap hotel near the airport.

I use www.itasoftware.com to check flights. I like the fact that you can check the day before or after to see if there is a big difference in price. This site uses the same software used by Orbitz, but you cannot buy the tickets there. Since I prefer to buy direct from the airline, this is not a problem for me. I always log in as a guest.

HTH.

Edited to correct typos :teeth:

WDWorld2003
08-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks Carol - we will be there the week of Easter (are we crazy!?) We also prefer non-stop - our kids are no longer small but we don't like to spend our vacation time in the airport or risk getting bumped.

I tried using the website for ITA and it keeps coming back that there are no flight available..... do I need to download a software tool?

CarolMN
08-31-2004, 08:42 AM
No special software download needed. What are your dates? Just for fun, I used 3/26/05 - 4/2/05. Worked fine. Best price was SC for $254. FWIW, I think $254 per person RT with non-stop service is a good price for MSP-MCO. Doubt you will do much better unless there is another event like 9/11 (May God forbid)!!!

WDWorld2003
08-31-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Carol - It must be my computer - we do need a new one! The dates are 3/25 - 4/2 - the lowest price I come up with taxes even on Sun Country's website is $328...... I'll have to try again!

CarolMN
08-31-2004, 09:02 AM
OK. I put your dates in and still come up with $254, but you have to leave on the afternoon flight that departs at 3:10 pm. If you leave on the 7:30 am flight it's $281 RT.

They might be sold out of the cheaper seats already, though - if they were still available, you should be able to get them on SC's site.

Best wishes -

infobahn
08-31-2004, 10:25 AM
Terry Trippler (a noted Airline analyst, and MSP resident) just started a new website for MSP residents.

http://hubcitymsp.com/

He is very good at finding the "deals" for the Twin Cities.