PDA

View Full Version : My "budget" autograph book is done!

bigbabyblues
08-30-2004, 10:56 AM
I had planned to buy an autograph book when we got to Disney for my boys to use. I know they aren't expensive, and I didn't mind buying one, but I started thinking.....I wanted a way to incorporate the autographs into our trip scrapbook.

I got my "scrap" scrapbook paper (the leftover stuff I've used bits and pieces of) and started cutting....I have 50 4x6 pieces of different colors of paper and I put them into a Mickey photo album I already had. When we get to a character, we'll pick a color, take out a card, and they can sign, then I can put that into the scrapbook!

Done, and pretty much free! I'm cheap, what can I say....

Cindy B
08-30-2004, 11:00 AM
I've done something similiar. I 've used clear index cards printed a clip art pic on the index card and had the character sign that card.

The card gets bound at Staples for like 50 cents.

disneysnowflake
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Those are both awesome ideas.
My 6 year old niece wants us to get autographs for her, but doesn't want an autograph book.
This sounds like a great option.

KsCrafter
08-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Did you make that to put on your Sig line? My DS Girlfriend loves stitch.

PneumaticTransit
08-31-2004, 04:16 PM
I saw one family that made a booklet, and on each page they had printed a picture of a character and information about the movie he/she was in. Then they had the characters sign "their" page. It was very cute, and (Im sure) a great way to keep the kids busy before the big trip.
It was no bigger than the autograph book the Disney sells, but it was bound with yarn and decorated with stickers, stamps, and clip art.

Mickey527
08-31-2004, 06:56 PM
I did pretty much the same thing when I took my niece and nephew to WDW last year.
I got some clip art pictures of all the characters and printed them onto a page of glossy paper. I then cut out the photos leaving a 1/4 inch white border around the photo. I glued the photo onto a 3X5 card and put it into a 3X5 photo album that I picked up at Michaels for $1.00 each.
We pulled the photo card out as we saw a character and had them signed. We then took a photo of my niece and nephew with the character and when we got these developed we put them right next to the signature card.
They look through their books constantly and it is a great reminder of their trip until Auntie Peggie can take them again.
Peggie

LisaZoe
08-31-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm still working on ideas for an autograph book for my DD. I bought one at the Dollar Tree and am thinking of putting stickers one each page trying to keep one character per page. I hadn't thought of using clipart but love that idea as there are so many more characters available that way than I can find on preprinted stickers. I think I might just use some address label pages for this. I could probably get 2 or 3 images on each label and they'd cost very little since I have those pages anyway.

BTW - I was given the URL of a great site that has thousands of Disney clipart. The URL is:

http://disneyclipart.tripod.com/

Another thought I had was to get one of those little polaroid cameras that print on stickers. I saw these at Wal Mart and, although they aren't cheap, thought they'd be a really fun way to personalize that autograph book as I could take a pic of DD with the character and put it in the autograph book right away. Of course, now that I think about it, I could use our digital camera for the pics then just print them on address labels to make our own stickers - although they probably won't look as nice as those made specifically for the Polaroid camera. Anyone ever used one of those cameras?

Carrie Ellis
08-31-2004, 08:59 PM
LisaZoe,

I did the same thing. I have 4 kids so I bought 4 autograph books from the dollar store. I was going to decorate the front w/ stickers and finally another idea came to mind! When I was highschool we got into making cushioned photo albums so I thought may be I could do the same. I was at Walmart and I bought a 1/4 yard of Mickey fabric and 1/4 yard of Princess fabric. Plus a couple of sheets of white felt, a bag of beads w/ letters on them and thick yellow string.

What you do is cut a square piece of felt a little smaller than the photo album and hot glue it on. Then cut a square piece of the fabric about an inch longer in length and width of the album. I started w/ the top and folded it in a nice tight line and glued it right above the felt and right bellow the spiral. Then you take all the sides and pull them under the cover and glue. I used the first page and pulled it up to cover fabric underneath. You will just put a thin strip of glue all around the edge and glue that paper two it. Afterwards I sewed their names w/ the beads on front.

The princess fabric is awesome! It is lavender w/ sparkles. I had my daughter pick which princess that she wanted on her cover because there is not enough room for all!

It turned out great. I will post a picture soon. It does not take long. Almost took as long to write!

Each album probably cost me around $2. When you have 4 kids; it adds up to buy 4!! ha!

LisaZoe
08-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Carrie Ellis - what a fun idea. I may do something similar but use transfers made on my computer. I picked up a pack to do t-shirts but won't need it all for those and have tried to think of other ideas. This would be great because I have a lot of scraps of muslin (I like to make quilts) as well as low-loft cotton batting so my only cost would be the transfer page which I already have anyway. It will probably hold up better than the stickers as well.

I love these boards. I get so many great ideas and resources.

dbal
09-01-2004, 09:42 AM
WOW! I love these ideas! I was ready to get 1 autograph book for each of my youngest dd's. But I think they will like these ideas so much more. Expecially with their pics right next to the signatures.

When you made the pages beforehand with either the clipart or stickers, did you get mostly the main characters, or the more obscure ones too?

How'd ya like that nice run-on sentence?

Also where can you find the Disney photo albums?

Thanks!

:)

Carrie Ellis
09-01-2004, 10:02 AM
I was thinking about putting a sticker or a clip art of each character on different pages and have them sign. But I started thinking that it might be time consuming to flip through and find the certain character. Of course I have 4 kids so that is more of an issue with me. I think it would not be a problem if you had 1 or 2 kiddos. I thought I might go through the books later and add the pics and stickers.

Mickey527
09-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I can't find the site I used when I made my niece and nephew their books but there are sites that tell you where each character can be found in the 4 parks.
I used that site to make a list of all the characters and just downloaded photos of every character to put on the 3X5 cards. We didn't find every character but it was great to have the card for Jiminey when we bumped into him by chance.
I doubt that this wil come up as a link, but here goes. Disney World Character Greeting Guide or try this:
http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/greet2.html
If you can't get that to work try doing a search for Disney character greeting and see what you can find.
I had a great site but lost it when my computer died this summer. Peggie

momof2OH
09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Here's some photos of the autograph books I recently made for my DD & DS for our Halloween trip. I make them a new one for each trip.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/pc5287354d26ade4e88d7d17ab6961793/f71b5c8d.jpg

Inside is just colored card stock in various Halloween colors. If you want more info on how to do these, please PM me. I'd be happy to help.:p

lisaes
09-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi momof2OH I just pm'd you!:)

kerry34
09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I was going to buy scrapbooks for my kids also, but i think i will make them ow that i have read all these great postings. That will be a nice way to personalize them to each child, and cheaper than buying 5 of them. Thanks all for the great ideas.

momof2OH
09-07-2004, 11:25 PM
I also added some stickers and clipart of certain characters to my DD's book. DS didn't want any in is. I will post some pics of those pages tomorrow.

jacksmom
09-08-2004, 04:38 PM
momof2OH, Hi! I just pm'd you too!

momof2OH
09-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Here's the info on how to make the autograph books:

Decide on a size you want. I did ours 4 1/2 x 6 1/2. I used card stock paper for the whole thing. This is heavier weight paper. You can usually buy it at any office store, craft store or scrapbook store. I cut all the various colors I wanted to use to the 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 size. Then I went on the internet to clipart sites and found clipart I wanted to use. I used my Printmaster Program to add the clipart to the front and back pages. Once I had it all cut and together I took it to Office Max and they laminated the front and back page and spiral bound the whole thing together.

It's very easy and inexpensive to do.

Hope this helps any of you who want to do one.

sorchamac
09-10-2004, 07:05 PM
These are all great ideas!! I was thinking of getting 4 X 6 sketchbooks, since they are already bound. But I also like the idea of the photo albums.

Keep the ideas coming!! I'd love to hear more -

Sorcha

SandrainNC
09-10-2004, 08:54 PM
I recently bought the Creative Memories special edition Mickey Mouse book. It is 7X7 (I think) so it is too small for everything to go in (I am going to the scrapbooking store at downtown Disney for my 12X12 book). Anyway. I am going to get a cheap autograph book to take on the trip and when I get home I am going to remove the pages. I am going to put the picture I take of the character on the left side of the book and the autograph on the right hand side so both will be showing at the same time. I loved that little book when I saw it so I'm glad I finally thought of something to use it for.

Sandra

frstimer128
09-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by sorchamac
These are all great ideas!! I was thinking of getting 4 X 6 sketchbooks, since they are already bound. But I also like the idea of the photo albums.

Keep the ideas coming!! I'd love to hear more -

Sorcha

You can still use the sketch pad...At any craft store, or walmart even, you can buy adhesive photo corners. They are little stickers that fit over the corners of your photo so you can pop them in or out. For a more permanent adhesive, you can use "photo splits" which are just little tabs of adhsive tape safe for photos.

The good thing about using scrapbook material though is that the paper won't yellow over time and it looks good longer.

sorchamac
09-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by frstimer128
You can still use the sketch pad...At any craft store, or walmart even, you can buy adhesive photo corners. They are little stickers that fit over the corners of your photo so you can pop them in or out. For a more permanent adhesive, you can use "photo splits" which are just little tabs of adhsive tape safe for photos.

The good thing about using scrapbook material though is that the paper won't yellow over time and it looks good longer.

Great!! I'm not very "crafty" so I wouldn't have thought of that! I do have some birthday cards saved to put on the cover of our homemade autograph books. I just don't like the store bought books that I've seen. They seem too cheap to me.

Sorcha

DemonLlama
09-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I bought a little 4x6 photo abum (little three ring thing so you can add more photo sleeve inserts) with Mickey and Friends on the front. We can add tons of sleeves for all the characters, inserting them front and back together in the sleeve.

Then I printed pictures of each character you could meet on 4x6 index cards. The characters always make a big deal out of signing their "picture" and this is great to get on videotape. They usually take it to their handler, or another character if one is nearby, to sho off. Donald did this with Daisy, for example. The villians are the best!

My favorite was Uncle Scrooge, on Christmas Day at MK. His handler said he is only there that one day a year, so he was shocked to see a picture of himself to sign. He went on and on gesturing about it.

I take them out and put them in the scrapbook once we're at home, and use the ones not signed as clip art for other pages.

ncbyrne
09-11-2004, 09:44 AM
I love the idea of homemade autograph books! I'm taking my DGDs (7+11) in November and would like to make them for each girl. I guess I'm not a "hip" grandma, because I'm really not up on all the Disney characters. Is there a site that lists all the characters that you might encounter to have sign the book at WDW?

hezzie
09-12-2004, 08:31 PM
ncbyrne - Try this site and click on the link to Character Greeting. This is a list of all the characters. When I made my books, I put the characters in order alphabetically by movie title, so it was easy to find the characters. For Mickey, Minnie, Donald etc. I put them at the beginning of the book. It was so much fun to make and the kids loved it. I also left quite a few blank pages in the back for those characters I couldn't find clipart for or those I was unsure who they were.

Have fun!

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/characters.html

ncbyrne
09-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Wow! There are about 60 different characters at that site! Do you print out graphic and have a page for ALL of them, or just pick ones you think the kids will want? When I started this craft idea, I had no idea how involved this would become!