PDA

View Full Version : Are AP's REALLY worth it?

ssatterly
08-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I plan on staying for 10 nights in a Mod resort and am taking my kids and mother and was thinking of doing AP's. So maybe we could go again. Whats is everyones take on it?

RoyalCanadian
08-29-2004, 11:06 AM
For a trip of that length, the AP is definitely worth it -- even if you don't go back during the year for another visit. Check out the info at http://allearsnet.com/pl/breakeven.php to see how the various pass costs work out compared to the Annual Pass -- you'll see it only takes 8 days for the UPH to exceed the AP cost.

Lisa loves Pooh
08-29-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't think it is so much of "are they really worth it?" Moreso, I think it is what is more cost effective? If you plan on doing a theme park for the majority of those days--then a length of stay pass or individual park hoppers are going to cost gobs of money. It would be cheaper to buy the annual park pass, and then perhaps pay individually for things such as Disney Quest, Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.

If you are looking economics--figure, how many days in the parks would make you happy, do you really need the water parks, et cetera. Those plusses would be included in your length of stay, but not a annual pass.

I agree with RC, even if you dont use the pass again before it expires, it is so much better.

Most Floridians would purchase a discounted AP or Season Pass (if they are smart) before ever even buying a park hopper that costs more than an AP. Park hoppers are too expensive for us--so if we go for multi-days, it is an automatic AP or SP.

disneyjunkie
08-29-2004, 12:26 PM
If you don't think you'll make another trip within the year, the 30 day Fun In The Sun Passes are a good option. They only cost $311.00. They include admission to MK, AK, MGM, Epcot, BB, TL, PI and Disney Quest. They also include Kennedy Space Center and a few other off site places. Each voucher comes with a free voucher for a character breakfast.

ssatterly
08-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Were do you get the fun in the sun pass?

disneyjunkie
08-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Here are some links to threads about the FITS passes.

http://www.disboards.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=971800&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

When we used the passes in April, I got them from ticketmania. Now Paramount is the only company that carries them.

LMC
08-29-2004, 01:35 PM
If you do the FITS, it may serve you to purchase one AP to get the discount on the resort room. BUT, first make sure that AP rates are going to be available for your stay. This can probably be done close to your trip. Go ahead and make your room ressie. Then, when AP rates come out try to get one applied. If you get it, then go to the DS to purchase your AP voucher. Then you will know how many FITS to purchase online. I'm sure that you could probably get your FITS w/in two weeks.???. Good luck getting your ap rate! They still aren't out for our trip (Jan.) and neither are the AAA rates:(

MichDISer
08-29-2004, 05:54 PM
If I were you, I would wait and see if there will be an AP discount for your resort (at the time you are going)......

THEN......

I would only buy ONE Annual Pass (to get the resort discount) and buy PARK HOPPERS (7-day Plus passes) for everyone else because they are good forever.

That is what we plan to do. :)

MrsPete
08-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Important questions: How far away do you live, and is it reasonable to think you'll plan another trip within a year?

We chose to buy 7-day hopper passes on our last trip because we know we won't visit again for 3-4 years (too many other places we also want to go!). APs would've been in the same price range, but we know for sure that the hopper passes will still be good year from now; thus, it's kind of like pre-paying our next vacation.

n2mm
08-30-2004, 05:52 AM
It is for us. We go for about 40 days a year (split between 4 trips), so it pays for itself. We don't use if for room discounts or anything else, just admission to the 4 parks.

ssatterly
08-30-2004, 06:30 AM
I am going to try to go again within a year. But i live about 800 miles away in Louisville Ky

Strings
08-30-2004, 06:54 AM
If you are planning on going again within the year, it is worth it. You won't have to purchase tickets for the next trip. Good luck getting a room code.

Focusdude
08-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Is there certain seasons where the don't issue/have AP rates? I am going during a value season - I was going to book room only and buy passes and an AP - but going a Disney Travel brochure this weekend that had some good rates, now I don't know!

The Disney Travel Co. has the discounted rates for kids, which seemed like a good deal.

n2mm
08-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Getting discounts on your room is a "special offer" that is offered throughout the year. This is not a perk of being an AP holder. There are some standard perks in regard to discounts on meals, merchandise, going to new events. Buying an AP for the room discounts that might happen is never a sure thing.

jann1033
08-31-2004, 02:24 AM
at the present discount you'd a save about 50 over rack( think it's around 130) and i think about 15 more than other code out so for 10 days between 150-500 on room rates alone . so if a 7 day hopper is 360 that's only 40 less than an ap..even if you bought 3 aps you come close to breaking even and could go more to the parks...(course you wouldn't have the plus features and the ap expires .) we bought aps for our last trip for the first time ( 10 nights) and we went to the parks most days at least for a little bit . it was nice just going for a few things we wouldn't have gone for if we had to use a hopper day
like we didn't have time to see the mickey statues due to rushing to get to a ps so one day we went to mk just for that and to do philharmagic again. we were able to spend time where we wanted without worrying if we got to "do it all" i think even with out the room rate it would have been worth it for that convenince( since it is only $40 and we basically got 2+ extra days for free)

mousesavers has a list of when the codes have been available and the past few years it has been most of the time.
we got ap rates for value season last time and this time ( this Dec) but only saving about $5 off the public code rate for pop century last winter( but also saved a bunch more due to going to vero beach...70 a night off so we paid for the passes already in room savings) I called right away for last Jan, this time didn't get what i wanted till the next day but still was able to get it.
we didn't really think the rest of the "discounts" with the aps amounted to much however, a few $$ here and there but not eough to warrent buying the passes for sure!

disneyjunkie
08-31-2004, 05:12 AM
If your main reason for getting the AP is for the room discount, you MAY be disappointed. They only release a few rooms at the AP rate. I really wanted to stay at PC during our next trip. I called CRO as soon as the AP rates were released. I could only get 3 nights at the AP rate. There weren't any AP rates for my dates at All-Star Sports, Movies, or any of the moderates. :eek: Right now I have a reservation at All-Star Music, my least favorite resort. :(

I plan to keep calling to see if anything opens up at PC. If not, I'm sure we'll enjoy Music. :wave2:

jann1033
08-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by disneyjunkie
Right now I have a reservation at All-Star Music, my least favorite resort. :(

I plan to keep calling to see if anything opens up at PC. If not, I'm sure we'll enjoy Music. :wave2:

i called the night of the release and could only get CBR, the next morning bright and early got my original pick, fq. in the ug mary waring is quoted as saying they usually have about 100 rooms per resort for code then sometimes release more so it seems it wouldn't take those long to go..i tried for FW once at 7am on the day the codes were released and they were all gone already...someone has fast dialing fingers!