PDA

View Full Version : American Express Travel Card?

beachbaby
08-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Has anyone tried the new American Express Travel Card? It is supposed to replace travelers checks and you can you anywhere that takes AmEx. I was wondering if it was really that easy to use?

mad4themouse
08-28-2004, 06:43 PM
I looked into it and decided against it. Too many fees:
From AmEx's website
Your Card must start with a minimum load of $300 and a maximum of $2750, which is also the maximum you may load on your Card(s) during any 14-day period. You can order up to 4 Cards at a time. Their total combined value cannot exceed $2750. There is a $14.95 issuance fee per Card.

The TravelFunds Card may also be used at ATMs where you see the American Express logo. Your maximum daily withdrawal is $400. If you reach that limit, you may still use the Card to purchase goods and services, as long as you have funds available. The Card will be charged a $2.50 fee for each ATM use. Additional bank fees may apply.

When you need to add funds (what we call reloading), call American Express Customer Service. You can add funds in $100 increments with a $100 minimum (plus a $5 reload fee), billable to a debit, credit or charge card you provide. The amount will typically appear on your Card within 24 hours from the day you call, but it may take as long as 3 days if you call on Friday or during the weekend.

I think I'll just stick with my credit card and pay the balance from my checking account before it comes due.