PDA

View Full Version : Any money saving advice for going in March 2005?

Microcell
08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
My Dh can't get away before March 2005 and I know that is Spring break time so is there any way to get deals on airfare, flight and hotel? We want to stay on property and get 4 day hoppers or length of stay, whichever is cheaper. I am considering figuring out April or May but we want to go when it is not so hot. We shoudl also probably do spring break- last week of March for DD's school since she is in first grade now. Any advice?

Also, which would you do, try to buy separately or go with travel agent?

mad4themouse
08-27-2004, 05:42 PM
We've been in to WDW in April and May and the heat is very tolerable. It is nowhere near the sweatbox that you find in July & August!

But, if you have your heart set on going during your DD's spring break in March, be aware that Easter is March 27. The week prior to and the week following that date will be very crowded in WDW! If you go during either of those weeks, it would be in your best interest to stay onsite, even though you will pay "Peak Season" room rates. That way, you can forget about having to park the car in a lot and let Disney do the driving. Plus, onsite guests get to take advantage of EMH (a definite *must*, given the huge crowds.)

I would definitely book everything separately unless you do not have the time or energy to find the best deals. A TA can be a great ally in your travel planning but they're not the ones who have to make the connecting flight in East WhoKnowsWhere or suffer a 2 hour lay-over in SmallTownUSA. By booking everything but the room yourself, you maintain some control over how your trip goes.

MELSMICE
08-27-2004, 06:05 PM
I would also book everything separately, unless you just don't have the time or enthusiasm to do it.

If you want the flexibility of going in & out of parks whenever you want then you should go with the lengh of stay type ticket or Ultimate Park Hopper as I think they're now called. If you want to save a little extra money on the tickets then go with the 4 or 5 day hopper. It's not as flexible, but if you don't do a park for a day you don't feel like you've wasted a day by not using the UPH. Park Hopper days never expire.

You can book airfare through some major carriers 11 months in advance. If you will be travelling at peak time then my recommendation would be to book as soon as possible. We've had the best luck with rates the earlier we book. If you want to wait for a Southwest or JetBlue fare you could possibly get a better rate, but not necessarily. Their rates come out comparable to what the going rate for that time of year is.

Start saving for things now. Save all your change, save dollar bills, start buying Disney $'s. It may not seem as though these things will matter, but you will be so glad to have some extra cash when you are ready to go - whether it's for souvenirs, a special dinner or breakfast, snacks in the parks or even to possibly upgrade your hotel.

While we always get a car, if you stay on-site you don't necessarily need one, thus saving on car rental - although you'll need a transfer to your resort.

There are many ways to save. I'm sure you'll get great tips from the people on these boards! :D

Microcell
08-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Keep em coming! I have learned alot so far!

dizagain
08-28-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm interested in all of this too as we're making a possible trip before Easter. I am wondering when the crowds become major. What if we went Wednesday-Tuesday (leaving Tuesday prior to Easter)? Would it still be as bad? Thanks!

MELSMICE
08-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by dizagain
I am wondering when the crowds become major. What if we went Wednesday-Tuesday (leaving Tuesday prior to Easter)? Would it still be as bad? Thanks!

The closer you get to Easter the heavier the crowds become. It really all depends on when the school breaks are. Some schools have them the 2 weeks surrounding Easter, while others have them prior to Easter or after Easter.

The crowds will probably be heavy but manageable at the time you are hoping to go.

bettyann29
08-29-2004, 04:38 AM
Just a few things that Im doing to save for our disney trip... Started a change jar.. save cans and turn them in for change to put in change jar, sell items on ebay, do a garage sale, budget household expenses to save money, use coupons when grocery shopping, do a little research when grocery shopping- such as looking for same item with % free.. sometimes on shampoo, hairspray, drink bottles it will say you get 25% more for the same price as the smaller bottle, etc.... utilize the public library for books and movies--rather than buying.. When I actually looked I realized our library has TONS of childrens movies- even new releases!.. Bring lunch instead of buying-- I limit myself to eating lunch out once every 2 weeks... My kids are only allowed to buy lunch at school 2 days per week- they have to bring the other 3.. also kids are only allowed to have 1 ice cream at lunch on Friday--

I have also just started putting back $20 per paycheck and going down to our local disneystore to put back for our trip... we wont even miss this $20 and it will really add up quickly...

sarahsmom73
08-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Pay yourself every week.. I call it my secrest stash... I write myself a chek every week even if it is only for $10... My goal is $50 per week (We are going 12/05) sometimes things come up and we can't swing $50 so I make sure it is something!!!

We also pack our lunches, and watch take out for dinner...

Cans and bottle returns have really added up and so have online surveys!