PDA

View Full Version : Is DISNEY-VISA worth it?

vjc715
08-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Wondering if the Disney Visa would be worth getting?

Seems like you need to spend $75,000 to get $750 back!
Tell me the pros please......

Thanks,
Vicki

Disneefun
08-27-2004, 03:19 PM
I guess it's worth it if you charge a lot every month and pay it off (avoiding finance charges b/c this is NOT a low interest card!) and you love Disney and want the $$ to spend on Disney stuff. I got it because free money for Disney is always a good thing. Plus you get six months no interest on disney vacation pkgs. if you want it.

That said, I had a very tough time getting the $50 free reward dollars that were promised upon my enrollment. Less than impressed (infuriated would be more apt) with Bank One's service and support. I kept my Discover card and will continue to use it and accrue cash back, but will probably dump the DV after our upcoming trip. I had planned to use the DV at BJ's and Wal Mart as I spend a lot there but the Discover won't pay the full 1% at those places, but the Visa would. But I don't think it's worth the aggravation.

BluesBro
08-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I use my Disney Visa for normal monthly purchases and keep track of what I charge. At the end of the month I pay the Disney Visa (with money I would of spent anyway) and get the points for free.

This does take some discipline. You don't want to spend more than you can afford to pay off each month unless you don't mind carrying a balance and getting a finance charge. My brother tried it and ended up with a $3000 balance.

You could also use it to pay for large purchases that you already have money saved for, example: computer, furniture, disney vacation!

ceecee
08-27-2004, 04:39 PM
We just got the offer in July to get double reward dollars (so far they have not been doubled!!! Supposedly it takes 8-10 wks to appear on your stmt). Other than that, other cards offer much better rewards in my opinion.

a Really Bad Egg
08-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Yeah...you have to spend a lot to get rewards that amount to anything.

There are better plans...but if you are a Disney fan, and if you use the Visa for everything, it doesn't take long to reach $75,000.

Of course, you have to pay it off each month - as you should with any credit card - or rewards don't mean a thing. You end up losing money in finance charges.

The Disney Visa also offers no interest for for 6 months on selected Disney vacation packages.

It's really for Disney fans who want to save a few bucks on each trip.

::MickeyMo

Laz
08-28-2004, 09:49 PM
I have enough built up to pay for all my meals and shopping during my next WDW trip.

rockin_rep
08-29-2004, 08:25 AM
I just checked out their web site and it offers $25 in disney dollars.... does anyone know if i can still get the $50 with the code 6Y7911?

Thanks in advance!

Muushka
08-29-2004, 08:33 AM
I resisted signing up until a few months ago when they offered the free $25. That caught my attention. Plus we can pay our maintenance fees for DVC (which did not take Discover) and get cash back on that (hey $10 is better than nothing!) and we are going on a cruise next year and we will get a $50 stateroom credit for that and lastly they do offer Disney Visa lower price rooms, which we will take advantage of at HH. Talk about a run-on sentence! :rolleyes: .

rockin_rep
08-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Mornin' Moo! :)

So that means you could NOT get the $50? I keep reading (here and other places) that it is still available. But i don't want to spend 30 min of my time (read that here also) with one of their people if it's not available.

Also does anyone know if the discount would apply to on-site rooms over spring break, around Easter? Their web site is VERY vague!

TIA!

beavismom
08-29-2004, 10:35 AM
It is still being offered when I log in to my account online... here is the info copied from that site.

CALL 1-888-605-9502 OR VISIT WWW.50DISNEYREWARDS.COM;
BE SURE TO REFER TO KEY CODE 6HJV11.

rockin_rep
08-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi Beavismom,

Thx for the site. However, i went there and see no mention of the $50, other than if a cruise is booked on line. Also, the code you listed is different than the one previously mentioned... ??

I realize i could / should (?) just call them myself, but having been there-done that w/other card companies, (and from what i've been warned about here!!) i will have to give alot of info, it will take alot of time, and i won't be interested if the $50 isn't still offered.

So....if anyone else has any additional info, i'd be VERY grateful!

Thanks all, and God bless!

Muushka
08-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by rockin_rep
snip....
i will have to give alot of info, it will take alot of time, and i won't be interested if the $50 isn't still offered.

Boy is that an understatement! I have had plenty of charge cards in my life but I have never had such a lengthy application as this one had AND I have never given as much info as this one asked for. I am not sure if I would have done if had I known what all was involved with the darn thing!

I don't have your answer about the $50 reward, and I don't know the answer to your question about the discounts on site during spring. That type of info *room discounts) does not usually come out until closer to the time of travel. Why don't you call Bank One and ask them about the $50? I am sure they would answer that without making you sign up.

beavismom
08-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by rockin_rep
Hi Beavismom,

Thx for the site. However, i went there and see no mention of the $50, other than if a cruise is booked on line. Also, the code you listed is different than the one previously mentioned... ??

I realize i could / should (?) just call them myself, but having been there-done that w/other card companies, (and from what i've been warned about here!!) i will have to give alot of info, it will take alot of time, and i won't be interested if the $50 isn't still offered.

So....if anyone else has any additional info, i'd be VERY grateful!

Thanks all, and God bless!

Here is the complete text from my account offers. I hope this gives you enough proof...

INVITE YOUR FAMILY AND
FRIENDS TO APPLY FOR DISNEY'S
VISAŽ CARD

Your family and friends can get 50 Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM FREE*,1 just for becoming new Disney's VisaŽ Cardmembers!

Invite your family and friends to sign up for Disney's VisaŽ Card using the phone number and key code below.

They will get 50 FREE Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM when they become new Cardmembers.2

Then apply multiple Disney RewardsSM Cards to your Disney purchase in person or on the phone.3 So you can all get to the magic faster!

TELL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS TO APPLY TODAY!
CALL 1-888-605-9502 OR VISIT WWW.50DISNEYREWARDS.COM;
BE SURE TO REFER TO KEY CODE 6HJV11.
*Must apply, be approved for the card and use the card by 12/31/04.

Tell your friends and family the magical benefits of Disney's VisaŽ Card.

Earn Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM on everyday card purchases. Redeem your rewards at home for great Disney items like DVDs, toys and clothes or spend them on Disney vacation packages, theme park tickets, cruises and more with no block-out dates! And no annual fee.

1Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM are subject to the terms and conditions of the Disney RewardsSM Program.

2This is a one-time offer for new cardmembers who have applied for Disney's VisaŽ Credit Card from Bank One and are approved for the card. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after the first purchase, balance transfer, convenience check or cash advance. The 50 Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM will be credited to the new cardmember's rewards account and are subject to the terms and conditions of the Disney RewardsSM Program. New cardmembers must use Disney's VisaŽ Card by 12/31/04.

3Disney's VisaŽ Cardmembers may "pool" and redeem Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM from multiple Disney's VisaŽ Card accounts toward a common purchase at designated Disney locations by presenting multiple Disney RewardsSM Cards at the time of purchase. All Disney RewardsSM Cards to be applied toward purchases must already contain Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM and be presented at time of purchase in person or via telephone. The use of multiple Disney RewardsSM Cards is not permitted at Disney-affiliated websites. Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM are not transferable and may not be pooled by transferring them from one Disney's VisaŽ Card account to another. Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM are subject to the terms and conditions of the Disney RewardsSM Program.

Available to U.S. residents, 18 and older, and subject to credit approval.
Offer ID = 105892

rockin_rep
08-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Thx for the reply, moo. Thats exactly what i was thinking.

Thank you beavismom, that is what i needed to hear (read)!

And now it makes sense why NONE of that was on what *I* could access.... b/c i'm not a member yet :) But i really appreciate you taking the time to cut and paste! Also, will they ask me *WHO* my friend or family member is? Should i just say the mom of beavis??! LOL !! :D

Thanks again, you guys are the best! :)

swilphil
08-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Go to the WWW.50DISNEYREWARDS.COM link.

Click on the Yellow Star that says apply here. It should take about 2 minutes to fill out the short application. Make sure you put in the current code at the bottom to get your $50 rewards. Right now it's 34Q4, but it apparently changes so look closely at the info. under the yellow star.

In addition to the 0 interest on Disney vacations, you get an introductory 0% interest for the first six months on all your purchases and balance transfers (you don't earn reward points though for balance transfers).

Kevenswife2
08-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Oops!

Gaiusrex
08-31-2004, 10:23 AM
It's not the greatest card. I got a bonus $25 /room in Disney Dollars for my upcomming trip with the Disney Visa 5+2. They do periodicall have vacation deals that are pretty good but not always. Hey, it's free waddaya got to lose.

Soupermom
08-31-2004, 10:01 PM
I have the Disney Visa and was able to get a great package when we went in June, plus some extra Disney dollars. My husband called last night to sign up for his own card and get the free $50; it took about 15 minutes on the phone--no problems. I think it's great to have to save for the extras on a trip. We always pay ours in full. Couldn't do it any other way.

Julia M
08-31-2004, 11:32 PM
No, it's probably not the greatest card. But, I never use to use a credit card, but started with Disney VISA.

I've had the card 17 months, and I have 476 rewards. I plan to go to DL at Xmas 2005. and I'm planning to pay for our entire trip with the rewards. (we usually go every Xmas, but were just at WDW in August. Also, with the rehabs, we'd rather wait)

Julia

raven3517
09-01-2004, 12:48 AM
If you can pay your credit card off each month, it's probably not a bad card to have. However, if you revolve a balance at all, it's not one I would pick. Aside from having really high interest rates, they base their interest calculations on a 60-day cycle, instead of a 30-day cycle. Might just be me, but I wouldn't want to pay interest on money I've already paid off!

princess: