PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Hotwire


Coach Rick
08-26-2004, 06:12 PM
We just got back, and I was doing some basic accounting to see just how much we didn't spend. We used the connection meal vouchers for the walk up food venders almost exclusively, and I have saved $105.44 for 4 people (DD just had child meals all week-she eats like a bird anway). I was floored by that savings, and some days I really didn't want to eat supper because of the huge lunch I had.

Probably the best deal was Beaches and Cream. that bill came to $68 and change, and the vouchers cost us $46. I just had to give the young lady serving us an extra $5 on the tip. She was delighted, and I felt good doing it. The look on my families faces was priceless when I would hand in the voucher and walk away.

Thank God for DIS...I would have never known about those without all of you.;)

StephMK
08-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for posting your good experience w/them! We're going to be using them on our first trip. May I ask where else did you use them?

Thanks & glad you enjoyed it!

luvmrypoppins
08-26-2004, 09:25 PM
I also had used them on my past trip at the beginning of august. Loved them. Got a super deal at Corondo Springs Resort Pepper Market. We had 3 adults and the bill would of come to 85$ without the vouchers. Would definetly get the vouchers again. :teeth:

Coach Rick
08-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by StephMK
Thanks for posting your good experience w/them! We're going to be using them on our first trip. May I ask where else did you use them?

Thanks & glad you enjoyed it!

I also saved $20 at Columbia House at Liberty Square in the MK. Another $20 at the American Pavilion, and $15 at Cosmic Rays. I wanted to go to Peco Bills, but never had the chance. They are good there also.

We are going back in March, and still have some left for that trip. I bought 35 of them, and have 10 left, plus when I bought my additional point at DVC they geve me 6 more. I'm not sure I can use 16 in 4 days for just DW and I, but I'll try. :teeth:

rockin_rep
08-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Wow, that sounds very intriguing!!

Is there a website exclusively for the vouchers? Can they only be purchased thru hotwire?

Also, are they good at Disneyland?

Thanks all!

frannn
08-27-2004, 09:31 AM
because we neglected to realize they could be a great value even in the food court. We are going in 2 weeks (yippeeeee!!!), and I bought 16 Q & C's for the 4 of us (DH, DD11, DD2, and myself) for 11 days. We will probably use them for dinner, and supplement wherever necessary with extra sides/entrees. The VKLs at RFC can't be beat, so I bought 1 adult, and 1 child's VKL, to have a great dinner at AK. It will cost just under 50 (I will give about 5 extra tip since we are only using two vouchers) for this dinner for our family. It would cost about 30. for us to eat at the AS food court (with no drink or dessert), so for under 20 more, we can have a better "sit down" meal instead, with varied theming.

rockin_rep
08-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Fran, sounds like a winner but i don't fully understand what you just wrote....

it's likely me, but what do "VKL" and "Q & C" stand for? They're not listed on the 'abbreviations' site.....

I did find RFC tho! :)

Again, does anyone know a specific website for vouchers? And are they only available thru hotwire? Thank you!

frannn
08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Vacation Kingdom Lunch Voucher
Quick & Casual Voucher

The VKL's are about 31/adult and 12.75/child, and can be used at many sit down dining locations for lunch. As far as I know, RFC in AK is the only rest. that allows you to use them during dinner hours, since the lunch and dinner menu is the same there.
These include beverage, appetizer, entree (with side, I think), desert, tax and tip.

The Q&C's are 11.50 each, and can be used at many counter service locations for lunch or dinner. They include entree, side (if one is not already with your entree), beverage, desert, tax, and I believe tip, if it is applicable.

There are also breakfast vouchers, which are about 18.25/adult, and well worth it if you are dining at certain character meals!

There are other websites you can purchase the vouchers from (Connections, Simple Escapes), but they all lead back to the same company. I have found Hotwire to charge a monthly fee of 7.95. If it goes up, I will probably cancel. Does the fee usually go up after a year?

rockin_rep
08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Thank you, Frann!! It sounds GREAT!

Do you (or anyone) have any other examples?

I will definitely check it out!!! Also, can they be used at Disneyland?

Thank you, again! :)

Coach Rick
08-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by rockin_rep


it's likely me, but what do "VKL" and "Q & C" stand for? They're not listed on the 'abbreviations' site.....


Again, does anyone know a specific website for vouchers? And are they only available thru hotwire? Thank you!

Check this thread out...everything you'll ever want to know about meal vouchers is here. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=435889

This is where I got my education. :teeth:

rockin_rep
08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Thanks, Coach! Exactly what i was looking for! Guess what i'll be doing all afternoon?! :)

God bless you all!!!!

Wags
08-27-2004, 02:39 PM
This all sounds great.

I'm not sure how to even ask these questions.

1) We will be going to WDW next June

2) If I join www.dealpass.com, and use the trial membership at $2.95 for 5 days, can I order vouchers, and then cancel my trial membership?

3) Because we are not going until June of '05, can I do this now, or should I wait?

4) How does the voucher work. Is it like an Entertainment Book Coupon. You know, buy one meal get one of equal or lesser value free?

5) Sorry, I need some remedial training in this voucher thing.

Thanks.

Coach Rick
08-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Wags
This all sounds great.

I'm not sure how to even ask these questions.

1) We will be going to WDW next June

2) If I join www.dealpass.com, and use the trial membership at $2.95 for 5 days, can I order vouchers, and then cancel my trial membership?

3) Because we are not going until June of '05, can I do this now, or should I wait?

4) How does the voucher work. Is it like an Entertainment Book Coupon. You know, buy one meal get one of equal or lesser value free?

5) Sorry, I need some remedial training in this voucher thing.

Thanks.

Problem is the current vouchers expire May 31, 2005, so you will have to wait.

It is a coupon you just sign and hand in when cashing out. You are allowed an entre, side dish, drink, and desert.

ceecee
08-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Looks like you did great with the vouchers..........we only saved an average of $2.00 or $3.00. Most places (except Beaches & Cream) you don't tip anyway so that part wasn't much of a help. We used them at Peso Bill's and saved just over $2.00. Same at Columbia House. How did you save $20.00 there? We weren't allowed an extra side beside the sandwich already came with fries.

Coach Rick
08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ceecee
Looks like you did great with the vouchers..........we only saved an average of $2.00 or $3.00. Most places (except Beaches & Cream) you don't tip anyway so that part wasn't much of a help. We used them at Peso Bill's and saved just over $2.00. Same at Columbia House. How did you save $20.00 there? We weren't allowed an extra side beside the sandwich already came with fries.

I ordered 2 bowls of chowder with the meal, and perhaps the young man made a mistake by letting me add those to the order. I was always sure to order the most expensive items on the menu. Luckily I always liked what it was. Even saving $2-$3 per meal, for 4 that is still $8. In two sittings that still adds up pretty good, plus I just didn't feel like eating much at night, so I saved there also. :smooth: